Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subject(DELETED) [BATTLE] Shaltah the Lurker in the Moors, Village Applicant
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=75824
75824, (DELETED) [BATTLE] Shaltah the Lurker in the Moors, Village Applicant
Posted by Death_Angel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Mon Jan 12 16:00:12 2009

At 10 o'clock PM, Day of the Sun, 20th of the Month of the Battle
on the Theran calendar Shaltah perished, never to return.
Race:human
Class:ranger
Level:37
Alignment:Neutral
Ethos:Chaotic
Cabal:BATTLE, the BattleRagers, Haters of Magic
Hours:58
75827, Bye bye
Posted by Shaltah on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Maybe I'm not ready for it, or maybe I just don't like playing the powergamer game enough, I don't know, but when it stops being fun, it's time to quit. I seriously need to re-evaluate if the (many) lows are worth the (very) highs. Or the steep amounts of time, for that matter.

How anyone can justify the need to bring 40K coins, just to be able to get to, and leave, a Cabal's doorstep, is beyond me. God how I hate that Cabal, if you can call it that ...

But well, away with the negative, let's end with a positive note.

A big thank you to the cool people that do roam the world of CF. Of which many are within the Village.

Borkahd: You're a cool guy and you certainly deserve the Commander spot, I'm glad I could help you get there. You were Shaltah's best friend, rock on.

Selene: Thanks for the cool talks we had, sorry to disappoint you like this.

Everyone else at the Village: You have a cool Cabal going, keep it up!

There were other people in Shaltah's younger days, which I can't really remember anymore, but I certainly enjoyed travelling with you.

Shaltah, heading into the wild forever, going the savage loner way,

See you in the fields ... maybe
75829, 40k in gold.
Posted by Forsakenz on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Who in the world asked you to bring 40k coins to the village? Not knowing current events too well, is this for real? Gah, I thought bring the body part of a mage to the commander when he happened to be logged in was bad.

What gives?
75830, I assume...
Posted by Daevryn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
He's talking about paying centurions getting in/out of imperial lands to get the head back.
75831, RE: 40k in gold.
Posted by Playa on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
He means the Empire, with Centurions to pay in and out as Battle can't use potions.
75832, Oh no, no
I'm talking about the Empire.
75834, RE: Bye bye
Posted by Borkahd on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Wow, bummer. I really wanted to see you hang in there. Rangers can get really boring at times though, I understand.

There were really only two people that have been consistant in Borkahd's life that he hung out with since early ranks. Ones gone, big bummer. I really wanted to see you in it for the long run. I had hoped to see your role develop more as well, I liked the 'colors' idea.

Anyway, I wish you luck with the next and hope to see you back in the Village.
75839, It's not as much the Ranger class
Although I am under the impression that bearcharge is the most useless skill ever. Unless it's designed to be a self-lag skill, ofcourse. How many people fled from me, heavily convulsing, on the instant I hit them with a good hit, is beyond me.

It's more that the relatively few remaining players playing the game now, know the game waay to well, and I don't know if I'll ever be able to catch up, unless I catch them by surprise, or it's a bad class mix-up for them.

Or more importantly, if I WANT to catch up.

Also, people in general are just so chicken. Many peopled seemed to flee at the mere sight of me, even if I was far away, and if 'I' manage to do that, how about the people that actually manage to seal kills?

And ofcourse there's the Empire ...

All that compared with my very limited area and good gear knowledge (mostly lack thereof), these days, made Shaltah's life tedious and dull. I did love playing a ranger though.

And there I was, stuck with my crap gear, and my half-decent axes. (don't take the previous sentence too seriously :))

PS: Sadly I had to let go much of the colors role I had in mind, because otherwise I'd end up with too many foes, and I had lots to spare already. Just wouldn't get healthy :(
75843, RE: It's not as much the Ranger class
Posted by Borkahd on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I hope that you are not calling it quits. Roll up something else, have fun. You would be surprised how much new blood we really do have, not everyone has been around forever.

You seem like a good guy. Hate to loose cool players.
75855, Don't play something that can't enlarge and expect to bearcharge well.
Posted by Scrimbul on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Try whatever you were doing again with a giant instead of a human, preferably cloud savage, and the results will improve dramatically. It's getting to 35 that will be the trick.
75864, RE: It's not as much the Ranger class
>Although I am under the impression that bearcharge is the
>most useless skill ever. Unless it's designed to be a self-lag
>skill, ofcourse. How many people fled from me, heavily
>convulsing, on the instant I hit them with a good hit, is
>beyond me.

The thing about bearcharge, unlike bash, is that it's a lot less random -- and size vs. size counts for a lot.

If you're not bigger than someone, probably, you shouldn't be using it.
75874, Thanks for that info. Scrimbul too, ofcourse nt
nt
75840, That's a shame!
Posted by Iegob on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I was hoping for you to ask me for a recomendation. I really wanted to speak with you. :D Unfortunatly Iegob really didn't find any good reason to approach you. ^^ (As the village was so full already.)

Well, I hope you come back with something new! To the village!
75841, You were on my 'to-do' list :P. I enjoyed the brief talks/scouting for you where I could nt
nt
75842, Kinda like the cabal that...
Posted by Gryssil on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
can be entwined in with very few ways to get out of it. Can't recall from, can't teleport from...dude, perspective. Gotta keep it all in perspective.
75853, Lets really call the one cabal out that truly sucks
Posted by Hateroforcs on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
The fucin orc village. They have no item to take yet can down any item in it. The guardian you have to kill is sanc'd and plagues blinds poisons and everything else a shaman can do. The orc village itself will fuc you up sappin movement and morale. Look I say if they are able to down items then give them a fucin item to take cause without them having one its just fucin gay
75856, I'd like to see you decide what skills they lose from losing the item then.
Posted by Scrimbul on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Since there's nothing that they derive from an item of power and so much #### in the game tears up orcs it's not funny. Orcs are as likely to die to a well-geared warrior as they are to kill them with savage feeding and hack arm.
75877, RE: I'd like to see you decide what skills they lose from losing the item then.
Posted by Isildur on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You could make it so that the chieftain loses his chieftain powers. Or some subset of them.

Would create an interesting dynamic between chieftain and non-chieftain orcs. If chieftain logs on and the clan doesn't have its item, and there are other orcs on, he can bust some balls.

You'd probably also want to give the chieftain some ability to "boot" other orcs from the clan. Maybe give them a title, "Hunted by the Grinning Skulls" or something. Assign them a recall point outside (but close to) the orc village, and make all the mobs in the village aggro to them just like they are to non-orcs.

This would give some "teeth" to the Chieftain's position of authority within the Clan.
75879, RE: I'd like to see you decide what skills they lose from losing the item then.
Posted by elerosse2 on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Problem I see with that idea is that the chief could boot orcs before they could challenge for the chieftain position.
75857, I smell something. Anyone else smell that?
Posted by TheManNamedSam on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
It's ####!
75858, I smell a copyright infringement n/t
Posted by Judge on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
n/t
75859, RE: Lets really call the one cabal out that truly sucks
Posted by DarksPriest on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Despite your lack of communication skills I agree. I would like to see them with an item as well that they need to hold to keep their adapt skills.
75861, With 1000+ hours as an Orc I respectfully disagree.
Posted by Alzinghul on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
The fact of the matter is if the Orcs had an item they would be completely worthless due to the fact that if you put an Orc into a re-raid situation and expect them to win at any enemy cabal against a prepped anything or powered villager you're crazy, throw on not having adapts as well? Absurd. You would see how extremely easy they are to kill is what would happen.

The reason Orcs can win at Tremblefist is because the raiding party is at a disadvantage that makes it almost even for the Orc, if its a villager re-raiding than perhaps the disadvantage is a bit more extreme but such is the life of a villager you get all the benefits of preps without having to get them when you do have the head. I can not tell you how many times db/thirst killed me outright due to RNG. Also, before Alzinghul how many times had Orc raided and kept the head? It isn't like people raided and just gifted me cabal items, I took them. It doesn't happen all that often and the only reason this is even coming up is because I liked being a part of the cabalwars that doesn't mean the next Chieftain will also.
75865, RE: With 1000+ hours as an Orc I respectfully disagree.
>The fact of the matter is if the Orcs had an item they would
>be completely worthless due to the fact that if you put an Orc
>into a re-raid situation and expect them to win at any enemy
>cabal against a prepped anything or powered villager you're
>crazy, throw on not having adapts as well? Absurd. You would
>see how extremely easy they are to kill is what would happen.

To be fair, you see the exact same thing when Battle gets the head back from the orc village.

(I've gotten items back from the orc village as almost every cabal, and that's the only one where it seems really bad to me. Everyone else, when it starts going bad I just quaff.)
75883, RE: With 1000+ hours as an Orc I respectfully disagree.
Most cabals, including battle, though have greater numbers then the orcs so the likelihood of at least being able to bring numbers to the retrieval is greater.
75888, RE: With 1000+ hours as an Orc I respectfully disagree.
>Most cabals, including battle, though have greater numbers
>then the orcs so the likelihood of at least being able to
>bring numbers to the retrieval is greater.

In theory that's true, most of the time.

In practice, you'll generally have a lot of other people who aren't orcs trying to kill you, as Battle, while you're doing it. Probably the orcs raided with or got the head from Nexus, Empire, or Scion. Sure, they'll have to deal with the problems of the orc village too, but if those things go sour (e.g., they get plagued) for them they quaff and they're fine. If they go sour for you, there's a good chance you'll die.
75876, Then dont give them an item but why let them down an item?
Posted by Hateroforcs on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I have yet to hear one good reason why they are allowed to down a cabal item if the Orcs are not a cabal? Thats almost as bad as having a lich in a cabal but thats a rant for another thread
75880, Valg's response to the same basic question..
http://forums.carrionfields.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=6&topic_id=7671&mesg_id=7719&page=

Personally I hate retrieving from the orc village. But, I like that orcs can be involved in the cabal conflicts in some manner since they cannot themselves join cabals.
75885, Maybe they do have a cabal item?
Posted by incognito on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Maybe it has been taken by creatures from another plane, depriving them of their powers for so long they've forgotten they ever had it.

Seriously though, orcs NEVER have cabal powers. So it is as if they've always had their item taken (but are not obliged to retrieve it).
75886, The 40 gold
Depending on my sphere/religion/role, I'd consider doing that.

I could think of all kinds of reasons:
1) I'm greedy
2) I view it as showing dedication
3) I want to see whether a pointless task will faze you.
75887, ok, understanding this now
Without giving away how Empire powers work, that cost is perhaps not as unreasonable as you might think.

For example, what would you think if it cost the Empire 100 gold to call centurions? That's not the case, but centurions do come at a price. Especially since you can just kill them, depending on the opposition. If you suspect they are going to call them after you hit the vanquisher, for example, hit it, fight a few rounds, and then run out to kill any centurions called.

Better let, weaken them so that they are on the verge of death, but leave them alive. That prevents more from being called, and allows you to cut them down fast when you need to.