Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subject(DELETED) [None] Nrybbin the Grand Master of Changelings
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=74369
74369, (DELETED) [None] Nrybbin the Grand Master of Changelings
Posted by Death_Angel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Thu Nov 20 10:38:01 2008

At 8 o'clock AM, Day of the Great Gods, 12th of the Month of Winter
on the Theran calendar Nrybbin perished, never to return.
Race:gnome
Class:shapeshifter
Level:51
Alignment:Neutral
Ethos:Neutral
Cabal:None, None
Hours:151
74370, This is probably going to be longer than it needs to be
Posted by AXera on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Well, it's pretty obvious what this character was all about, but I deleted for closure so I'll ramble on anyhow.

This was my 'get back into the game' character. I'm sure it showed. I've always thought it was extremely helpful to play a shifter for that type of thing, and to an extent it payed off. Of my 150 odd hours at least 100 were probably spent exploring or searching for random items and such. I could have done a lot more actually, but it's hard to play JUST for the sake of exploring after a while.

The character idea was fairly stale. Typical 'Explorergnome with Nexus option' short role. Didn't bother me at all though, as I could still play with a few eccentricities that made the character interesting. I also picked the wrong sphere on character creation and thought for half the character's existence I was sphere Knowledge. Oops.

As for the nexus deal... well, there was always an excuse for me -not- to join rather than the opposite. I had some really good stories in the first 30 levels about experiences with balance, but quickly I realized I probably wouldn't get to use them. First, the leaders were very inactive. Then, I figured it was a bad idea to join before I found any of my sleeks because of all the ragers running amok. Then I realized that both the goodies and evils I had peace with were not too keen on me joining Nexus, and really neither was Nrybbin because he disliked the nearly-evil murdergnome stereotype certain nexuns had been propagating.

Ah, my forms. This is where I figure I screwed up the most as I was utility/offense and had a good set of forms. Camel for spit, cat for hide, cobra for regen and forest/desert blend. Ram for offense. Honestly, I would have rather had a couple of the other offensive forms, as the ram really didn't seem to outmelee decent warriors, even after a batter (and the cobra's venom sometimes). It just seems too easy to avoid it's attacks. The cobra actually is much better than I initially thought, for reasons I won't explicitly state, but to which most people on the recieving end of it know well enough. Before I got my wand set, I more or less couldn't hold my own vs nearly anyone. Once I was prepped and battles started lasting longer, it was a lot of fun actually pulling off some of the neat tricks that make utility shifters so fun.

I'm sure someone more experienced and willing could have been quite scary with those forms, but that just wasn't what Nrybbin was about and I wasn't going to change it just because of the forms I received. To give you an indication on how little I did much of anything else with this character - I was wearing my fine leather gloves from the academy when I deleted. No, I'm not kidding. I had some decent pieces of gear, but I never really worried about getting a good set.

A few notes to people:

First to all the shifters that helped me find sleeks - you guys rule. Consequently, I knew an assload of locations that weren't mine until finally finding my amber (in a place I had checked a bunch of times before that with no luck) 120 hours in.

Tlingit - I really got a kick out of you thinking I was trying for Outlander, as well as how you handled the burden of proof for it. I actually have played way more chaotic gnomes than neutral/orderly, and I'm sorry I couldn't give you any WANTED action. I think I only attacked people in cities twice ever, and never when you were around.

Djabree - Near the end of your life, when you killed me at Kiadana (after I lost concentration teleporting) and then found me in arkham crypts nearly right after I unghosted, I gained a bit more respect for you with that little yell you did. Staying IC and yet making sure that if I fought you it was actually on my own accord - props for that.

Bwaadn - After the first death, knowing you weren't going to take anything other than coins, I did sit there and fight just to laugh at how ridiculous energy drain and sanc/weapon resist is vs non-offensive majors. Wanted to fight you with the ram, but I wanted it to be a surprise during battle and we never ended up fighting again.

Gahtho - Probably the only really interesting fights I had were with you. Sorry for being a jerk with the flee-coil-strike business early on, but as evidenced by our first battles I couldn't exactly take it to you straight on without some malediction. Back then I don't think I had found any of my sleeks, and I didn't really ever fight you fully prepped even afterward. You know, I always find that speech pattern weird on svirfs, but I still like your character from what I've seen. Keep it up.

Zizzle - I'm sure you had a role reason for killing me and taking some random non-limited loot while leaving the couple area explore things I had. If so, very cool. If not, I have extremely limited item knowledge, and probably would have done the same. Heh!

Cielandaicyl - I had to add you in at the end of this, because I actually started writing -before- you helped me out. I was determined to return the favor before I deleted, and in my search it quickly became obvious that our sets were the same. What a strange ending.

Daresh - I logged on to delete, but I figured I'd give you a bit of action before I left. Hoping you're as much of a class act as you appeared to be.

Anyhow, I have about 10 character ideas and I don't know which to play, so I'm gonna get to work on that.

- Coumidin (my old account here is linked to a failure ancient email that I reactivated and forgot the pw for yet again, so I made this new one recently)
74372, RE: This is probably going to be longer than it needs to be
Posted by Zizzle on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>Zizzle - I'm sure you had a role reason for killing me and taking some random non-limited loot while leaving the couple area explore things I had. If so, very cool. If not, I have extremely limited item knowledge, and probably would have done the same. Heh!

Honestly I don't remember, but I'm sure I have a well-thought-out reason! Usually after I force someone to undergo mandatory field experimentation, however, I try not to kick them when they're down unless they start the whole poopy talk thing.
74373, Good luck with your next (text)
Posted by Cielandaicyl on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Glad I could help out a bit. Sleek sets can be annoying.

Did not get a chance to interact but I appreciate that you actually sat and talked a bit. Most chars I run across don't seem interested in much of anything.

Good luck again.