Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subject(DELETED) [None] Bok the Lich's Lackey, Hunted by the Fortress
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=73521
73521, (DELETED) [None] Bok the Lich's Lackey, Hunted by the Fortress
Posted by Death_Angel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Sat Oct 25 22:15:54 2008

At 1 o'clock PM, Day of the Moon, 7th of the Month of the Battle
on the Theran calendar Bok perished, never to return.
Race:cloud
Class:ranger
Level:49
Alignment:Neutral
Ethos:Orderly
Cabal:None, None
Hours:149
73529, Much like this character...
Posted by Scrimbul on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
This goodbye is nothing to take seriously.

No, I don't really care if you thought I was less than skilled or that the character was a waste of space, or that you dislike my attitude as a player. The Imms are currently REWARDING far more poorly behaved and less creative players than I currently and will likely continue to do so. Not to say that I was looking for rewards, actually I generally do not seek out the Imm rewards because I prefer to play on my terms as opposed to how a given Imm thinks I should be playing. This attitude very much feeds into how I think of empowerment, the current class balance and how much time it takes to compete against a given player. I also did make it a point when Synoria actually decided to talk to me and I realized:

Wow. It may be #### all annoying for these guys to end up at every situation period and swarm all over everyone they can find because they don't have any lag whatsoever, but it's precisely because players in this cabal don't HAVE anything else but the Imms piling on virtues, or Imms leading them with a Go-AFK-Because-You're-Going-To-Win(Lose)-Seriously character. (I'm well aware there are parallels to my character in what we were both accomplishing and the ridiculous power behind it.) Other than the imms, no competent player wants to put up with their #### long enough to play multiple lagging characters and be their cabalmate. That does not mean they can't RP however, and I went out of my way to try and tell them I wasn't completely brainless, just apathetic OOCly.
I also didn't full sac ANY Fortress, even though I was sorely tempted to do it to Baerinika's followers just for her legendary bitchy streak, but I realized abusing her followers wasn't going to make me have fun. They were just players trying to play a game and have fun, o r they wouldn't even be talking to her.

The game is very much paper rock scissors, and when you get tired of that, you gang.

Someone is inevitably going to say 'This role could have been so interesting but you turned it into a gnome-flyto-murder-shifter trainwreck.' Bingo. Precisely the point. The game is not worth taking that seriously. On the plus side, I didn't talk #### in character (if I did it was extremely mild to some of the #### people would say to me), and I didn't go out of my way to make people miserable whom I killed or ganged or came on their corpse. Except Aunkdunell. Lyristeon, your religion seems to draw these vindictive asshats like flies, and then you turn around and call it l33t arpee with a tattoo and a leader weapon his level sitting ass hasn't even been alive long enough to deserve, and this is AFTER you knew he was full saccing the #### out of people he never met left and right. And then Rayihn seems to help you entertain these people with imm xp. Re-evaluate where you're going with the second-hand Entropy replacement religion, fix it and don't troll the forums hypocritically while you two are doing it. Entropy in it's old form even as a religion was more fun for both sides involved even with the asshats running around abusing it.

If I could have been a fire giant, I would have. It was not my intent to go neutral to avoid wrath, but seeing some fights how ridiculously often some goodie prog gear triggered and knowing the damage I would have been eating, I was sweating nails and thanking myself for not being evil. I also fully expected to be turned evil, but added just enough role entries to possibly prevent that from happening. Looks like I succeeded despite Baerinika babysitting her empowerees. Whee.

Reasons for not going fire giant: Couldn't be mountaineer or forester, the remaining two terrain options either lose bearcharge or nerf it to shield bash level (i.e. ####). Caverndwellers and bedouins are equally limited like mountaineer beastmaster is, without as many perks. Savage blow would have fixed a ####load of my problems, but I would have lost the nifty wolf kinship that put me on par with the outties wolfcall (and was awesome RP, what little I bothered to do). Namanrin seems to say that savage blow isn't all it's cracked up to be, either. Given this was my first ranger ever, I'm going to trust his judgement and not try to replicate this.

Role summary: Kill FortLanderVillage. Pretend to be villager with dead family from mages. RAAAAAAAAAGE. Think Metal Gear Solid 4: Raging Raven. Only, slightly more self controlled and far more boring and nowhere near as pretty. I know full well I can do better, but I'm not interested in learning anymore than I already know about the game to do so, including writing/RPing a better role. Plus this is pretty much the first character I have ever played in a long time that was remotely at a point where killing people was a foregone conclusion, and I was utterly amazed at who I could take down while wringing my hands at who I was useless against. This isn't a matter of taking a break from the game or not, it's been pretty much how I feel about the game between it's mechanics, imms and players for a long time now. Anyone actually fun has long since left the game due to innumerable unmentioned 'differences'. Some of these people I thought lame and had to go, others were an unfortunate loss and would have changed my attitude for the better had they remained. (or in Iunna's case, not gone AWOL).

Awesome people off the top of my head who this game needs (i.e. just about everyone but My Role Is That Of A Thirteen Year Old Halo Player And Lyristeon ####ing Loves It or 'Mr. I Skull####ed Your Mom's Corpse's Skull Because You Permalagged Me Grylinnis')

Alzinghul
Vizjun

Seriously you two, I kept up with the Droky RP ICly out of habit. Once you realize there's decent replacements to all the dragon gear and are playing a character that can 'outfit' into it anyway, it becomes way easier than avoiding metal.

Vizjun, if Bok were the marrying type, she probably would have let you collar her entirely. Sadly, you became bored with your role, and I never was preached anything other than 'don't wear dragonscale or dragonbone lol'

Satebos, Ahtieli

Ahtieli, seriously, don't do what I do. Well, on the forums anyway. You're competent and a good roleplayer. Ignore the haters and PK how you usually do, but likewise understand that the game was designed for you to have to take some chances to ever get a shot at some people. That goes both ways, especially for Lich. It's not 'tying one hand behind your back' to not use flight if you want someone to trip you so you can kill them. Many of my own kills were from people underestimating me because for the majority of my fights I did not in fact whore aura, shield and haste. Take into account that people will respect you more, and gun for you more in less-than-ideal conditions if you do the same. Given your race and advantages, if you play your cards right it really means more phylacs without quite as many objections. Satebos, nobody knows #### all about you. Keep it that way, lurking and pwning. I wanted to try and get strange bracers + blademaster's/swordmaster's gloves + eagle staff but Eleia finally told me you had the strange bracers so I just gave up on that idea entirely.

Everay, the imms should seriously have held off on Harbinger until you heroed because you're a dead ringer for it. I talk to you for five seconds and go 'The Imms are ####ing idiots if they haven't noticed this guy yet. If he knows he's getting leader, he'll stop ####ing around and power rank.' Don't worry, I'll be telling you everything you were curious about mechanically for this character that you couldn't feasibly ask me ICly.

Unalethekai, keep up the awesome warcries. Understand, the first and last time I fought you, I didn't have enlarge. Otherwise you would have indeed lost Defiance to me. I'm reasonably sure if THAT happened, I definitely would have been turned evil. I tried to keep up the 'I see you, but I'm not going to shamelessly gank the #### out of you.' tells to set an example what it is Fortress can do both to preserve their reputation and get better at the game. Granted, you were in the desert, but if you were on Calandaryl I'd have probably hit Aunkdunell and Camridarinil and let you live afterward, even if you attacked me.

Synoria, I'm not going to spout off the hour and a half long tactics discussion we had ICly here. Suffice to say, you were the only one to ask 'Why?'. Everyone else just wanted an extra opponent or did not, for the love of God, want to be Greeting The Avalanche bearcharged.

Volubryotr, the game needs you. You were about to learn everything I told Synoria but you con died. You really should have milked me for some more of what little info I know in-game because I was willing to give it. Skip the orc and play my build. You won't regret it, just ask Isildur who gave me the inspiration for playing it as my first ranger in the first place errantly. However you might want to take more of an exploration type tack, or go Outlander. Or Tribunal. Or Nexus. This build kills rager zerkers almost naked without preps (I'd highly advise enlarge) so it'd be a good fit for Nexus.

Djabree, I'm sorry you had to go down the way you did, but I didn't expect it to go as well as it did either. You, like Fakefi, should have evaded more of those bearcharges.

Ruhktanshi, eff you and the RNG. :) Next time don't kill someone I tell you not to and I might not go and try to mow you down. The time I stuck around through symphonic, fiend and dirge was because I was determined to kill you, but I know better trust me. It also wasn't my intention to full loot you, it just happened that way (hint: don't die on eastern, especially to someone who more often than not is wearing regear).

Twist: Fortress gets a bad rap because of #### like Triple Hero Shapeshifter Fort-Outlander gangbang in Balator Fields featuring A/B/S on two Imperial Warriors who don't even have their first legacies yet and their ranger tank. A single paladin would have been enough to wipe that group if it was any ranger but me tanking for them. If I hadn't snared you, you'd have happily walked on in too, and I'm still not sure to this day whether you intentionally called them or not. Probably not. Concealed and it's anti-bash, when taken as a whole with how dagger specs can drop people by -18 stats in four rounds just by wearing a poison dagger, is overpowered. There's no reason concealed should be stopping a momentum based move at all, and furthermore haste shouldn't be a LIABILITY, it should be an ASSET in avoiding concealed because by definition you're FASTER than the opponent can react. Thank god I had Aura lying around for the one or two times you didn't two round me with non-vuln weapons. Passive skills and align_only progged gear are serious ####. Given that you were perfectly willing to run me down alone with the ENTIRE OUTLANDER CABAL PRESENT when you would have gotten a kill faster just by calling me out in front of the fortress does NOTHING to change FORTLANDERVILLAGE COALITION PWNING EVERY OTHER CABAL FORCED TO FIGHT WITH NO ALLIES. I still think Fortress should be actively killing Lightwalker villagers AND Outlanders to even things up between Scion and Empire. Just not raiding. If these allowances were made, more people would be attracted to Good.

Lezra, it totally surprised me when you decided I was trash one day, then decided you needed my help the next. Then again, two paladins and a warrior, all of them stacked to high heaven in goodie gear, not only did you need my help but we weren't going to win even if all three walked into that snare anyway.

That one arial AP who got me in Veran and Drogran: Seriously. #### THE RNG. It always without fail ####s me over spectacularly in my history of playing CF.

I wish more Tribunal and Scion allies would have been as willing as Alzinghul just to take advantage of my ability to see camo alone. I had assumed I would be a golden ally to every neutral/evil at hero range, but this was only partly true. On the plus side, I was never in danger in civilized rooms.

Now on to more mechanics based things.

Bearcharge is ridiculous on the high end. The beastmaster bonus to it probably needs tweaking. If one does not exist, then ####, enlarge is overpowered.

Proposals:

Tweak high end bearcharge. I shouldn't be killing prepped foes with just lag. Especially ones with, you know, deathblow, because I'm wielding a spear and keeping them from dropping stats. (HI DJABREE AND CHARUNYCAIN AND FAKEFI.) I can permalag outside of hometerrain. Reliably. Most permalag-capable skills in the game were removed or tweaked because they weren't fun for the player, so that's ####ed up that I can still do that without Greeting.

Remove lash skill. I don't care how awesome Alzinghul and Thymas were using it to pwn the #### out of Aunkdunell, it's unreliable enough to be useless and more often than not is an excellent way to get oneself killed as a melee class with better options.

Allow the bear to rake like a shapeshifter with 3 round lag for the ranger and 2 round lag for the victim. Why?

Bear sucks right now, it's not a conjurer familiar with passive benefits but it has most of the drawbacks of a conjie familiar. It doesn't melee any better than a conjie familiar either and can't even fly over water. Let the bear be a proxy for lag, which will go a long way toward making non-cloud giant beastmasters interesting. It has too many drawbacks and no reason to bring it into battle. Unless you like mental damage and 72 hour mini hydrophobia. No, this shouldn't be an edge, otherwise what you're saying is 'We agree with you but here's a cop-out.'

I never figured out what to use serpentkin for and why. Can we please remove the save on this and make it's effects always happen. 2 round lag for enhanced kick is not very fun or useful, especially when it has all the randomness of chromatic flame. I know it could do neurotoxic venom and #### with mana regen, I didn't see it doing that one entropy skill that adds one round lag to every command or anything fun like that. It definitely is NOT a fight turner and the 2 round lag on it is ridiculous. Tone done the damage and tone up the effects.

Wolfkin is fine where it is. Excellent skill. Hard as #### to improve on though. It should probably be slightly better than it's outlander cabal power equivalent but it's not strictly necessary. You can go outtie cabal and stack this skill anyway. (for all the good it'll do you. If you stack this skill, your opponent will flee.)

Beastmasters need mongoose dodge vs. shapeshifter skills. Especially now that airforms can blind and more than half the new forms period have enhanced evade over and above normal PC classes. This suggestion can afford to be an edge. If it becomes an edge, hunters should get it too. If it doesn't become an edge, it needs to at least happen in hometerrain. Conversely it'd be nice if the beastmaster/hunter could get a second check on a shapeshifter's evade and it would give you an echo telling you your expertise is making your skill go through anyway albeit with reduced effect.

Warcry avalanche needs higher success rate. Also, make boreal wind work everywhere that is outdoors. Boreal wind as it is now is powerful but useless, all it does is let you kill groups of mobs on mountains (read Calandaryl and Kiadana-rah and it sucks on Calandaryl) and if it does drain mv, then why aren't you casting entangle? Make it slow people instead and give an echo for succumbing to the chill. If you use it in a hero battle, your opponent will eat your face in the 2 round lag alone with a 1 round lag spell, pincer, shapeshifter skills etc.

Wasps success rate is too low now. It is not viable as a spell to keep shaman from spamming maladicts, nor is it a viable skill to maybe interrupt mages trying to word or cancel their innate haste, nor is it a viable skill to keep rangers from dirt-kick-ambushing you... you get the idea. It either misses or just does some damage and the freeze never seemed to be of any consequence.

Remove the weapon-type accuracy considerations for various ambush types and give them all a base percentage that is good, but worse than it would be with a perfect weapontype now. It makes them impossible to combine and currently there's no much use for them compared to Waylay's single round attack. Cripple I used because it was the only thing I had against shapeshifters. Disarm is still two round lag, so since you're not dirt kicking your opponent first, it's near-pointless . Of course I didn't get the edge enhancing that ambush type so this suggestion will probably be ignored.

Offer a generic ranger edge to have a chance to bypass bash protection in the wilderness, an additional check on bearcharge. Knowing the imms this would become masochism equivalent to lash, especially for those non-giants not specced for bearcharge, but it'd be nice not to be stuck spamming damage because the best dispel magic talisman you can get doesn't work on communers and is only level 45.

Endure cold currently doesn't do much against conglaciation. Not a big deal but it probably should make you immune, or near-immune, since it's pretty close to the class-based version of mini-lavawalk.

You do all this it's still not going to wreck the narrow focus of beastmasters.

Good_only progged gear is still obscene, and the only reason I could kill any paladins at all was because of (unfair)permalag. Axes need to be unnerfed back to their pre-nerf levels, there's almost no point in using the weapontype now unless your opponent has less than 18 dex, in which case it's probably not your ideal weapon anyway. In contrast spears are the new axe now but you can't dual wield spears. Stupid.

It would be nice if you could take an edge for if your weapon is progging blast attacks of a certain element, then you could give up your healing and progging blast attacks for it to be that element. In which case marshdwellers would lose plague prog and healing for poisonous bite, bedouins would lose their heat blast and healing for flaming bite and mountaineers would lose their cold prog and healing for freezing bite.

Miscellaneous:

Staff of striking blows
Dove figurine blows, just in case it wasn't clear enough
Paladins are still overpowered, I just happened to be equally overpowered
Fortress, Vizjun, and Everay all taught me there's still hope for RP to be fun and worthwhile in this game again yet, regardless of the Immortal presence/tidbits or lack thereof.

Don't take the game too seriously, including cranky players or imms.

Don't subject yourself to pointless grinds of exploration or skill spam to beat skilled players, even if they are the only ones carrying any gear worth having, or you suspect they are immchars in which you have nothing to prove by beating or losing to them anyway.

Help the newbies, including giving pointers on your weaknesses to exploit during the RP chitchat after they die, even if they might actually have a chance in hell of exploiting that weakness and killing you in the future. Imagine the great feeling they'll have.

Play on your own terms, not the immortal playtimes or how many edge points they'll give you or whether they will IC marry you or whether you can get empowered, or whether you'll get empowered to 51. Likewise, allow other players to do the same by not constantly full saccing their #### or trepidating/bioempathy without any RP whatsoever, or healing/plaguing ranking mobs without RP just to be a little ####, it's not chaotic or clever.

Respecting the imms does not mean you can't just walk away and ignore them if you think they are lame and your char has no reason to deal with them, and it's the same with players except you may have to gank them on occasion which requires doing favors for your would-be allies first.

Push for the game to be smaller (both in scope and in size), more social, more PK, less conspiracy inducing exploration ####, and trend it toward easy to learn, somewhat difficult to master.

It does not matter how many years the game lasts if it's not fun, interesting or avoiding being overly complex to beat skilled/well-geared players.

Those are my thoughts, and I'll briefly consider actually making a char that's worth something now.

P.S. no the title wasn't unfair, nor was it a deterrent nor was it humiliating, it probably had the exact opposite effect that the immortal granting it intended. (Y HELO THAR BAERINIKA)
73531, RE: Bok was cool
Posted by shamanman on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I don't know why the imms didn't like Bok(if they didn't like him). I talked with you for a bit, and you seemed really, really cool. Your RP was nothing if not good, and I thought it was outstanding. You had a role, you had a take. I dunno. I liked you.

Your 'rival'.
73532, I'm pretty convinced...
Posted by Daevryn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
That you and I aren't even playing the same game.

Your conclusions in nearly every area differ so much from what I even think a reasonable person could come up with by mistake.

But... whatever. If you're having fun and I'm having fun I guess it's all right that I think that you're completely insane.

(Bearcharge really is just that good, btw.)
73540, Don't worry Nep. I still like you.
I just fundamentally disagree with where an awful lot of where the game is going and don't really want to feel passionate about it even if I do.

And you know what? The former is okay. It's even healthy for the game, in small doses.

And given my major in college, CF does it's fair share of teaching me lessons about game design AND the business model as an outside observer.

I'm still not sure I'm supposed to have Greeting the Avalanche for free though. (bearcharge + sure footing. But at least authentic greeting still beats it. Damn you Goganop + Padwei bashing me when I'm trying to, you know, RP with you.)
73546, I don't know exactly what you expected from that
Posted by Goganop on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You said don't attack because I was talking to synoria and the impresion I got was that you wished to make peace with the fort. Then you start #### talking on the hunting skills of the fort and the impression I got was I am not gonna kill you guys anymore cause I am just too good for yall.

But anyways this is a pretty good way to beat bearcharge

Bok has a few scratches.

----------------------------------------- flurry
You start a vicious series of attacks with your swords.
Bok partially parries your attack, but you still get through.
Your flurry *** DEMOLISHES *** Bok!
Your flurry *** DEVASTATES *** Bok!
Bok partially evades your attack, but you still hit her.
Bok partially evades your attack, but you still hit her.
Bok is DEAD!!
73548, Now THIS is why Zefta doesn't like fighting you!!
Posted by Zefta on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
(Though you're yet to kill me with a pure flurry. Hehehe)
Though I do like Goganop, not much RP (nothing bad though) but a PK-beast for sure.
73555, Zefta I like you
Posted by Eleia on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
But stop showing respect to cowards or I would demote you:) But...hey they would just say later they played it conservately.
73549, And then you logged out five seconds after.
And then didn't log in since then so I wouldn't catch you in the wilderness and loot your shiny suit

Funny how that works, eh?

Yes, I did decide to stop hunting you people because I WAS owning your cabal left and right. Just because I didn't own you, and you were dualing wrath swords using a trick just as old as mine, doesn't mean ####. Because you were scared ####less to fight me alone in the wilderness too except for right then when you thought I was just hurt and making excuses.

All I did there was let you kill me because I wasn't expecting it, that's about it. It happens. To everyone. I got sick of not seeing you logged in for about three days after so I could take your suit because I was wearing regear. I could have really used that humansunder for the Nightreaver because you sure as hell weren't catching him, but whatever.
73551, PBF for PK stats might be interesting? (n/t)
73553, Two things here, Scrim, and you know I love you...
Posted by Mjraljin on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
But Goganop has been playing seriously every single day. For a good bit. He might have changed his prime times, but I've seen him on as the only goodie and also as the fifth in the last ten minutes.

And he's killed Aunk at least once that I know, if not more.

Someone needs to loot those humansunders so I don't have to type fly;n;d;revert;wince every time he warcries.
73558, Hahaha yeah.
Seen his corpse once, but things was a "bit" hectic. + Zefta just doesn't touch corpses... ^^ (As 99% seem to know except a certain blade that got really upset that I wouldn't save his gear when he got killed. Hehe.)
73569, That wouldn't have helped you
Posted by Aunkdunell on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
"I could have really used that humansunder for the Nightreaver "

Yeah right, the only time you had a snowballs chance in hell was
behind two orcs spinebreaking my protection timers away. You couldn't
lag me, couldn't hit me hard enough, and couldn't hold your weapons
OR deal with my maledicts. Cloud Rangers do not stack up to shamans,
unless your either ganging (which you did constantly, even sitting with the Provost at my recall, which didn't work) or happened to
walk by my corpse after I died to someone else or my computer simply
lagged out again, and proceeded to full loot me, then spam QHCF that
I was doing it, and was a piece of #### for it.

Geez, you're pretty cocky for not really accomplishing much other than
getting a label that isn't neccessarily distinguished as a positive
reward for roleplay or gameplay. The part that really put a bitter ttaste in my mouth with you, is that you always talked down to me like
you ever accomplished something, or had an advantage over my character, but in reality, you never did.
73572, uhhh...
Posted by Goganop on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
basically if you think I changed my logins to avoid you then your plain crazy.

As for your comments I respect what a neo ranger is capable of in home terrain and of course if I let you stack enough situational factors in your favor you could beat me. The difference between us is I did not get killed in the middle of talking about how good I am. You really reminded me of all those kids cartoons where the villian gets lost in his how great I am speech and the good guys win the day.

Why would you have been in a regear suit since I returned everything you had down to the last copper, despite your continued attitude after defeat.
73559, RE: I don't know exactly what you expected from that
Posted by xherves on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
you are nothing without two to POWER swords you have :-)
73581, I took away his power swords. He just went and got them back.
Posted by Zizzle on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
He didn't bitch. He didn't whine. He just kicked ass after I gave Humansunder to Thymas.

I think you're probably kidding, but just for anyone who took your post seriously...
73590, RE: I took away his power swords. He just went and got them back.
Posted by xherves on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
tryed to make a smiley face at the end, but diddent work..
73562, Aside:
After all you've had to say, I'd really, really like to see you take a serious shot at playing a paladin.

I know, there are all kinds of excuses for why not, but talk is cheap. I dare you to put your time and effort where your mouth is. :)
73570, I would, but:
If I did, I would likely end up deleting at 150 hours again, number one.

Number two, the way I feel about RP lately and have done exactly zero schmoozing with any imms whatsoever, especially the goodie ones, I would only end up with one virtue, if that.

Number three, I wouldn't be caballed. (three and a half: evils will be hitting the fort anyway to get me to go there and the lowbie fortress will bitch at me even if I'm not part of the cabal)

Number four, I'm well aware they can't kill ####. :o I never said they were bad-ass, just exceptionally hard to kill and their weaknesses just keep randomly disappearing.

Number five, I know where the headdress of Galadriel is, but not the helm of brilliance, the prayer beads or various goodie swords beyond AVG 21 or so to request. Being uncaballed will all but automatically exclude me from Bal'talon or Defiance, especially since there's already five or six paladins in the 40+ range.

So I'm not exactly sure what lesson it is you want me to learn there other than bash and curse still kill you when you run out of mana and are retarded enough to let it happen or sanc fall. :p

Or that being an uncaballed paladin with the entire Outlander cabal and two liches and Nexus all running around sucks total ass.

Those two things I can figure out through deduction.
73534, Hahahaha
Posted by Ahtieli2 on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
nice picts.

>Ahtieli, seriously, don't do what I do. Well, on the forums anyway.
>You're competent and a good roleplayer. Ignore the haters and PK how
>you usually do

I'm trying but sometimes it's hard to stay calm.

>but likewise understand that the game was designed for you to have >to take some chances to ever get a shot at some people. That goes >both ways, especially for Lich. It's not 'tying one hand behind your >back' to not use flight if you want someone to trip you so you can >kill them.

Thing is that people usualy overestimate lich powers in general. You have no idea how many times people ran, did not try to raid me and so on when they had HIGH chances to kill me and 0 chances to die.

>Many of my own kills were from people underestimating me because for
>the majority of my fights I did not in fact whore aura, shield and
>haste. Take into account that people will respect you more, and gun
>for you more in less-than-ideal conditions if you do the same. Given
>your race and advantages, if you play your cards right it really
>means more phylacs without quite as many objections.

Thing is that unprepped lich can die in 4 rounds and there are always a lot of people who are going to jump on you. So in general I have to be quite prepped. I lost few con points to figure it out.

About Bok, I really liked you, your were solid all round, even though we pkilled together only during one login session and talked just a few times. As for your title, I laughted.
73564, RE: Hahahaha
Posted by Isildur on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
C'mon dude. Almost anybody you get slept has a decent chance of dying.
73566, Really?
Roll lich or at least necro and rank up to hero, then we speak again. Also I do not use sleep all that often.
73571, RE: Really?
Your not using sleep very often doesn't change the truth or falsehood of what I said. I'll qualify it though. If you:

1. Get someone slept,
2. Have an army,
3. Have time to sleep/zap/brandish them up,
4. Are willing to use your phylacs...

then you have a decent shot of killing most people.
73573, I'll agree with this:
It's not 100%, sure, but it's a good shot.

Even without offensive wands/staves/scrolls, without burning phylacteries, and without the fight location playing to your strength (e.g., you can summon them to a locked room, or they're in a maze, or they're somewhere they can't teleport), you have a decent chance of killing most character. It might take a certain amount of quick thinking and cleverness to maximize, but...

But, all that being said, I think the playerbase in general tends to (unfairly, to a large degree) expect each lich to be able to pull out all the clever maneuvers and tricks of every previous lich. Sometimes you don't see all the angles. For me personally, I learned a lot more about how to kill people with a necromancer by fighting top necromancers, than by playing one myself.
73576, Cosign, sort of n/t
n/t
73575, Some comments
>Your not using sleep very often doesn't change the truth or
>falsehood of what I said. I'll qualify it though. If you:
>
>1. Get someone slept,
in 90% of cases it's hard to do, people does not really want to fight one on one with lich and I understand why. Though even then you can sleep them, but almost always there will be somebody to come and rescue them, so usualy lich does not have time to do everything right for getting sleep kill.

Anyway playing in sleep kills is not fun for me(does not mean I don't use sleep). It was sorta fun on 36+ ranks for some reasons, but at hero ranks... it's just not my cup of tea.

>2. Have an army,
In general, having army means lowering your chances to sleep enemy.

>3. Have time to sleep/zap/brandish them up,
In most of the cases people won't fight you if there is nobody to wake them. Two good pkillers nearly impossible to be slept. Of course you can sleep one, blind another one but it's rare. I fought with necromancers/aps and if I had competent group mate I almost never worried about sleep.

>4. Are willing to use your phylacs...
Probably there is only one phylactery you may want to use in order to maximize chances of killing slept person. Well, in some cases you can use another one too(but it's really worthless to spend that phylactery because it's a lot more useful in other situations). But if you spend even one phylactery to get kill in one on one fight.. it means that most of the time you will run with no/little phylacteries, because most of them you will burn in raids, reraids and defending the cabal.

>then you have a decent shot of killing most people.
I think you are probably the only competent pkiller who died because of sleep in solo fight with me. And only because you gave me time to do some additional damage on you after I awakened you from sleep. I do not speak about shifter who usualy dead as soon as they slept.
73577, RE: Some comments
>I think you are probably the only competent pkiller who died
>because of sleep in solo fight with me. And only because you
>gave me time to do some additional damage on you after I
>awakened you from sleep.

I don't have a log, but I think I fled and teleported immediately. I died for a couple of reasons:

1. You used that phylac.

2. You had an army, so you did more damage in those one or two rounds than you might have otherwise.

3. I was cheap, so I carrying speckled pills instead of healing potions. In other words, I wasn't 100% prepared to survive being slept. If you hadn't used that phylac, though, then I probably would have lived anyway. So, right choice there.

4. I was dumb, and didn't keep using my teleport potions to try to land closer to a town healer.
73578, heh, here is log
1. You used that phylac.

Did not use single phylactery to fight you.

2. You had an army, so you did more damage in those one or two rounds than you might have otherwise.

Army did just one DISMEMBER.

Mizfara writhes in agony as plague sores erupt from her skin.
Mizfara's sickness grazes her.
Mizfara howls in pain as blood flows through the pores of her skin.
Mizfara's burning, weeping sores MUTILATES her!
Mizfara shivers and suffers.
Your sleep on Mizfara has worn off.
Mizfara's poison MUTILATES her!
Mizfara's thirst injures her.
The web of bones encasing you crumbles.

Mizfara disappears suddenly.

The power of the black circle of summoning amplifies your summons!
Mizfara arrives suddenly.

Mizfara yells 'Help someone is attacking me!'
You call upon the Codex and carve a Sigil of Pain onto Mizfara.
Your sigil of pain DISMEMBERS Mizfara!
Mizfara has fled!
Mizfara leaves north.

The power of the black circle of summoning amplifies your summons!
Mizfara arrives suddenly.

Mizfara yells 'Help someone is attacking me!'
You point to Mizfara and say 'Die'.
Your word of death *** DEVASTATES *** Mizfara!
Mizfara is writhing in agony.

You parry Mizfara's searing light.
Mizfara's claw injures you.
You parry Mizfara's searing light.
The headdress of Galadriel flashes pure white!
Mizfara's holy wrath does UNSPEAKABLE things to a zombie of a war-weary storm giant!
A zombie of a war-weary storm giant has fled!
Mizfara's holy wrath === OBLITERATES === a zombie of King Dortangil!
Mizfara's holy wrath *** DEVASTATES *** a flesh golem!
Mizfara's holy wrath <<< ERADICATES >>> a zombie of a storm giant commander!
A zombie of a storm giant commander has fled!
Mizfara's holy wrath <<< ERADICATES >>> a ghoul!
Mizfara's holy wrath <<< ERADICATES >>> a zombie of a war-weary storm giant!
A zombie of a war-weary storm giant has fled!
Mizfara's holy wrath DISMEMBERS you!
A zombie of a storm giant commander's punch DISMEMBERS Mizfara!
Mizfara has fled!
Mizfara leaves north.
73584, RE: heh, here is log
>Did not use single phylactery to fight you.

The way I remember it, I teleported to a different area altogether, then you used some sort of global summon (which I assumed was from a phylactery) to summon me back. Then you got in that PWK, then I teleported again.

Seeing this log, though, it looks like I just got freakishly unlucky and teleported to the exact same area. Lame.
73585, I've never played a lich...
Posted by Twist on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
...and I *might* be wrong here, but I'm close to 100% positive there is no "global summon" phylactery.

And if there is, I will be putting on my game-balance-advocate hat and crying loudly that it should be nerfed.
73588, Ditto.
Posted by Lyristeon on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I could only see one instance where that might be a possibility, but, even then, I wouldn't vote for it.
73589, RE: I've never played a lich...
I assumed it was sufficiently rare, maybe had restrictions about the person having been cursed by the lich already, yadda yadda.

I feel a little bit better about that death, then. I just wish I knew whether I really teleported into the same area, or if my teleport potion failed and I didn't notice.
73592, But...
Posted by Dwoggurd on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I like the "global summon" idea :)
After all, we had global flyto at some point.
73608, I cried when global summon went away...
Posted by Twist on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
...but not for pk reasons. It was very nice for grouping, as Twist. I'd gate to calico cat, go west and down (arboria), then c summon groupmate1, c summon groupmate2, and we'd kill. We could even rest for repop in completely different areas (like the Galaxy or whatever) in that way.

But some folks were summoning into noexit rooms and ganging and such. Bleh.
73620, I still hate you for breaking Masters. :P
Posted by Kadsies on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
n/t
73535, Long post is long.
Posted by RobDarken_ on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
In otherwords, TL;DR.

I looked at the pictures though.
73536, too long; didn't read nt
Posted by Runaktla1 on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
73538, I had great plans to use you...*sigh*
Posted by Mjraljin on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Should be interesting though now.

I liked Bok. Reminded me of a Tikar type char, one that would be apt to say something 'Let's kill these ####s' and not sound like a ten year old (and to clear up any confusion, Bok was nasty but not even close to Tikar nasty, just noticed that one similarity).

Roll a Trib. You can kill Aunkdunell more.
73539, You may or may not see me in the near future.
I think it's time for me to take a break from this game for another month or so. Go back to Sins of a Solar Empire, Metal Gear Online, Civilization 4 and some of the upcoming shrink-wrap RPG's coming through November, December and January.

On Tribunal: My character was perfectly capable of joining it if I wanted to go that route, but I, like so many other things in this game, disagree with preventing lowbie PK. I think Tribunal does it's fair share to slow the pace of the game down, and while like any other cabal that in and of itself isn't going to stop me from playing, neither does it make it very attractive to me.
73542, Didn't meet much with you but...
From the little I gathered of Bok, I liked him. :D A very interesting read this post of yours. :)
73545, Just to be clear about one thing
Posted by Rayihn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I am high enough level to have turned you evil any time I wanted to. No one would have said boo about it. In fact, Lyristeon and I talked about it at one point and I decided against it. For all of your "I don't care" you sure seem like you care a lot. You're welcome to bash me as much as you want on the forums, I didn't even know who you were playing. Nor did I particularly care.
73547, What a waste
Posted by Aunkdunell on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Trying to be constructive without too negative about you, it's going to be hard.

The first time I recall hearing of you, is after I made leader and your OOC tells on how #### it was and underserving I was. That
quickly put you on the enemies list, that and your cloud giant was
a lapdog for Imperials and Orcs and anyone else that would be willing
to deal with you.

I couldn't keep the Ignore button off for 5 seconds with you and your
tantrums and OOC bitching. What's even worse is the few times you
tried to fight me one vs one after talking all this smack, you wouldn't even gear for wither, and would just flee away as soon as I
slapped you in the face with it. Very unrealistic character and
your OOC hatred for who you think I am bled all over the game, and it bled all over QHCF with your attempts to assassinate my character on
more than several occassions.

A few disgruntled people try to argue that my character is bad for the game, yourself included. How many full loot/sac's did you do to me after happening on my corpse from being ganged by orcs? Three? Four? The only time you even ever got me was me raiding the orcs and spinebroken after fighting both of them AND a paladin, yet here comes Bok to ambush/sac, then flame MY character on the other boards for what you were doing.

Way to be a hypocrite. Maybe you can post vulgarities in all caps
some more with no subject, that means your cool. Thumbs up.

"Don't take the game too seriously, including cranky players or imms."

That was you buddy, that was you.
73563, Hmm...what to say.
Posted by Harlidbiggle on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I kinda liked Bok's angle, except that you should have been made evil IMO. Now...I don't think you should have lost your abilities however becasue I think it could have been a good RP thing. I know that shifters had to be one of your hardest fights, and we had some great ones I thought. I had a feeling after the second time that I killed you that i might see this coming up here. Bok rubbed a lot of people the wrong way just because I don't think cloud giant ranger attacking fort, village, and outlander makes much sense. I'm not really sure that I saw a good reason for it in your post here. You admittedly played cloud giant because you wanted to do this and because fire giants couldn't be. I think deep down you knew what you wanted to do was a darker thing, but hey, that is just my take. I'm sure you don't like my character and think I have no RP and I don't deserve the spot, but thankfully you don't get to snoop me nor did we ever really talk aside from the last day. You ganged a lot of people, and that is fine and dandy if it makes you feel good, so you shouldn't complain about Twist coming for your group with others. Imperials can quaff potions, and so can you. Flee and fight another day if its too one-sided. Anyway, I hope you lose some of what seems to be bitterness about the game and come back with something fun. I don't see how it can be the way you talk.
73565, I miss the cocky, lol-worthy posts already :( ~
Posted by Aodh on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
73567, Heh.
Posted by Lyristeon on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You killed more evil than goods, so I was against turning you evil as well. I started checking it out because of the title and then watching you. You attacked more goods, but, you killed more evil so, turning you evil wasn't warranted.

Just because you don't get my religion, doesn't mean it's being done wrong. If a follower of mine is getting you to show your emotions...even ones of hate, and they aren't cheating, breaking role, using ooc methods, or rping a prick who tries his hardest to act evil, but still can't do that right (Oh wait, that last comment is about you), then they are doing what they are supposed to.

Don't overestimate your deadliness. I don't think you broke the top 50 of current players. You had some success, but, barely more than what got you killed.

Oh, and if you want to rp a nonexistent village getting burned by Outlanders, you need to expect Outlanders to rp it back to you. No matter how much you don't like it.

Outlanders don't burn villages. See the Dranety, Darsylon, Evermoon and the like. They burn cities.
73583, RE: Much like this character...
Posted by julaed on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
ok the thing with the field was just a pure stroke of luck. it went down like this:
I started scouting, me and ilt were in a group. I told him hey i found them. he said ok, I dont think that i can cry to you. i said thats coo i am just going to fly in break them up, and shag ass out of there.

lo and behold the two others shifters popped, quite litterally out of the wood work. Another fond memory of you is when I thought the orc was the only one there, so i attacked him and he spine broke me:( god i hate that. but you guys were sitting there bickering over what tactic was going to kill me. which was ironic because i never have barrier up, because the huge time it takes to heal after wards. and the orc had 50 billion little orcs with him. anyways you didnt notice that i was able to move again, so it was just fly back to the fortress. i thought it was going to an ass whooping of epic proportions. you seemed to be a competent player. I actually ranked with you once, and you seemed like a decent guy. you were certainly a force to be reckoned with. glwyn
73591, Some of these posts are making look like an asshat.
Posted by Alzinghul on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Stop doing that because I need to get the lasher edge (don't listen to Scrimbul and get rid of lash I just perfected it.) and Orcs get the shaft for immlove. I miss Thrak he needs to come back. Other than that, setting up shop all over the place was awesome especially because I f'ing hate rangers because they can just snare outside the Orc village and then I the gnome flytoshifter horde owns me. Rangers who kill fort are overpowered because you can snare right outside the maran with bearcharge in mountains, though I think I should be able to cheapshot on bearcharge and I wasn't sure if that fired ever. Anyways good times its down to Valkathi and me for people still kicking, oh and that real asshat of a commander who full loots me (joking) I don't think you're an asshat Ruhk...

Alzinghul
73621, When I said get rid of Lash I meant rangers, not orcs.
Orcs have enough skills that fail as often as lash does that they're used to it and can keep it. PWN!

And yes, that's why rangers vs. fort are overpowered. But only if they can bearcharge. Otherwise they just word.

Besides, you lag as good as me anyway. I was waiting for someone to try to reduce to avoid bearcharge and make it even worse but it never happened.
73618, Well now.
Posted by Bajula on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Hrm, I know you said that the goodbye was nothing to take
seriously, but well everyone else seems to be doing it including
you so I'm going to play sheep for a minute. :)

I'll have to disagree on the points made in my general direction.
Mainly 'cause I don't like pointy things in my face. Hey now watch
THOSE comments there. *rofl*

I'd better cut and paste a quote or I'll forget.

>Volubryotr, the game needs you. You were about to learn everything I
>told Synoria but you con died. You really should have milked me for
>some more of what little info I know in-game because I was willing
>to give it. Skip the orc and play my build. You won't regret it,
>just ask Isildur who gave me the inspiration for playing it as my
>first ranger in the first place errantly. However you might want to
>take more of an exploration type tack, or go Outlander. Or Tribunal.
>Or Nexus. This build kills rager zerkers almost naked without preps
>(I'd highly advise enlarge) so it'd be a good fit for Nexus

To begin with (hey look I didn't say first! aww crap just did)
this game does not need me in any way. This is probably one of
the only times I'll be serious so take it as that. I'm a so-so
pker and a half-baked rp'er. Worse than that is that I CAN rp
I just don't. It ends up sucking too much when the character
dies and doesn't seem to work out better for anyone else so
no matter how I start out, I tend to just turn into myself
over time. :) The only thing I think I might provice to the
game is a minor support character to make another person shine.
Maybe a little "meeting hate and bitterness with humor" to take
some of the sting out for someone. Trust me that this is more
like a homeless person debating using a bandaid on a cut or putting
neosporin and a bandaid on. :) He's probably more surprised that
he HAS a bandaid and neosporin and wondering if neosporin makes
moldy burgers dug out of the fast food places dumpster edible or
not. Me I'm the neosporin here eh? Sure might be nice, might make
the cut heal a little quicker, but I mean the same to this game
as the neosporin does to the starving guy with a cut. :)

I'll assume the rest of that was a hint that you were going to
blast me with some ic info that I could make use of, but I am
afraid it would have been wasted on me. Nice of you though.
As for the rest, well I won't be skipping the orc. I always do
an orc after a long break really, Hehe. When I delete in frustration
it makes the next character I play feel like they are awesome. :)
As for the cabal suggestions, well, I've never played outlander
or tribunal, but I think I'd pull all my hair out over either one
most assuredly tribunal, but thanks for the advice anyway.

Have fun with your next.
Okay I'm done, You shouldn't hear anything serious from me
for quite some time to come. Hahaha.

73739, RE: Much like this character...
Posted by A2 on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I'm disappointed. I had you pegged as a griefer from the first time I talked to you. Not that we had much interaction after you realized not being able to bearcharge me I could rape your face.

I've only had time for four hours a week here and there roughly and when you were on I just wanted to log off. Not for any reason other than I hate dealing with griefers.

This really isn't meant as a slight, but get over yourself. Stop taking all the #### you percieve as injustice and just let it go so maybe you can have fun with the game again. I don't really believe you had fun playing a griefer, if you did, then maybe you need a lengthy break.
73754, Energy vampire.
Posted by Inquisitor_ on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM

That's Bok.
73523, That sucks
Posted by Beer on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Loved you as Tulfher, kinda sucks what happened to you. I kept on hoping something good would happend to you! Take care and glwyn!