Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subject(DELETED) [FORTRESS] Gruffil Blackale the Sword of Judgment, Seeker of the Paragon
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=71266
71266, (DELETED) [FORTRESS] Gruffil Blackale the Sword of Judgment, Seeker of the Paragon
Posted by Death_Angel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Mon Aug 25 15:00:06 2008

At 5 o'clock PM, Day of the Great Gods, 12th of the Month of the Spring
on the Theran calendar Gruffil perished, never to return.
Race:dwarf
Class:paladin
Level:38
Alignment:Good
Ethos:Neutral
Cabal:FORTRESS, the Fortress of Light
Hours:148
71375, Dear Griz:
Posted by Valguarnera on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Please stop hijacking other people's threads.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com
71358, Good Char..smtxt
Posted by Krugan on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Thanks for all the good fights. You came damned near getting me a few times in Akan. Let others say what the will I love a dwarf who swears. I don't consider it foul as long as it stays in context and the user is creative. Well roleplayed and I am sure we will see you around again soon.
71339, YANPACPOTCIL Paladin.
Posted by Griz on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Translated this means
Yet Another Pick And Choose The Parts Of The Code I Like Paladin.

I hope Im not the only player that that this was a spectacular example of what a Paladin SHOULDN'T be...EVER!
71340, I interpreted the code differently with this Paladin.
Posted by Lhydia on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Considering my first Paladin was a huge stickler for the Code I thought I'd be a lot more loose this time and choose a religion that allowed more freedom. I had a role that had me following the law as I saw it being of the 'earth', and of the farm. I had a lot of long talks with Llondolis about it that I enjoyed actually. Now, I know you weren't specifically referencing the law, but other people might.

You were talking about being 'fair of speech.' My guy was a dwarf. He grew up in a dwarven environment. Have you ever considered what might be fair of speech in the dwarven Paladin guild of Akan? Did he ever call Griz a dumb bitch cunt mother ####? Did he tell you to go #### your stupid ho mother while sucking a big fat cock? Did he say you were the stupidest asshole rager piece of #### he'd ever met? Did he say go #### yourself? I wanted to for the cheap repeated #### you tried to pull on a non-mage. And no, don't start a flame war, I didn't argue with you on your goodbye thread even though you lied about what happened, lets not go there.

All I'm saying is that the Code is open for interpretation, and hey, evidently my role and interpretation of it wasn't half bad.
71351, I dont lie.
And this post really points to my assumption you were really playing a foul mouthed dwarf just to be your self.

I welcome any log of me lying.
71352, Nobody says you are lying
Posted by Vortex Magus on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Its just that you are displaying signs of Ixilth syndrome, where you think you did much better than you really did, and that other players were far less deserving of what they really were.

Clearly you think your character > Gruffil in every way

Clearly other people disagree. Including an imm. Who is right or wrong is entirely subjective, and no matter what you say is not really up to you.

Not all paladins have to be cookie cutter pallies who put every step exactly right, all talk the same way, and do every single thing in the exact way that leaves you satisfied. Sorry.
71343, RE: YANPACPOTCIL Paladin.
Posted by Daevryn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
While I don't think Gruffil was perfect...

He was a better paladin than you were a Rager.

Glass houses, stones, etc.
71344, Based on what?
Certainly not based upon Griz trying to live up to old school ideals and a perceived code.

I you are comparing his kills to mine sure, but when Griz ####ed up he made himself pay if nobaody else did.

All I saw from Gruff was swearing and personal attacks.

You cant be serious.
71350, RE: Based on what?
Easiest example:

To me, berserker rager ganging on non-mages for no reason I can really comprehend is a bigger transgression than a paladin who swears.
71355, No reason?
I can only assume you never read any of Griz's notes or listened to him explain his actions over the CB. Griz tried to warn Gruiffill of an outlander and Gruiffill immediatly cussed him out and called him a Liar. There was no going back from that point on. You are also overlooking the war that Battle declared on the fortress and must have missed the fact that I NEVER attacked Gruiffil when there were mages in the area. Hell, I stood around leaving him unscathed when there were crazy fights going on eastern because I couldn't determine Parity.

I know early on in Griz's life popped a Drow thief who in my tired mind I thought was a Drow Conjurer and I left his things including his coin if I recall (I may be wrong on the coin) untouched.

Nep, be honest about this. I never sic'ed Griz on anyone for no reason. In the intrest in diplomacy I will say I made mistakes but they weren't overt attempts to powergame or skirt restrictions imposed on the character but established mechanisms and traditions.
71396, RE: No reason?
>I can only assume you never read any of Griz's notes or
>listened to him explain his actions over the CB.

Ah, no. I was listening in on the Battle CB pretty much any time I was paying attention, and I think I read all the notes.

I just remember a lot of situations like... some Battle guy is fighting some other guy off on Eastern Road or whatever, and Griz runs in to help gang.

As far as I could tell Griz either had never heard of Battle's parity thing or just didn't give a damn, and I consider it a black mark on the cabal leadership that he didn't get thrown out over it.

In my opinion that's taking a much bigger piss on what your character is supposed to be than a paladin who says fuggin. I'm sure your mileage will vary.
71401, RE: No reason?
Posted by Mike on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Uh...that's because the leadership doesn't care about parity either.
71402, RE: No reason?
Let's save that talk for those deletion threads.
71404, Deal. nt
Posted by Mike on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
nt
71376, Dude. I honestly wish I had logged the whole thing.
I walked into the past and saw the svirf warrior Nexus guy and 2 rangers. You were standing there camo and said in summary 'Thats a group of Outlanders, help me kill them' I said, they're not Outlanders, you're lying. They walked off, you again repeated that they were Outlanders, I said that they were Nexus and you needed to fight your own battles instead of lying to others to get assistance. Now, right then I hadn't even been 'foul mouthed' with you, I just said you had lied, because you DID say that whole group was Outlanders, you said, 'Thats a group of Outlanders.' Which was a lie, and I knew it. I thought it was #### that a rager app was asking for assistance from a Paladin to kill Nexun, IC and OOC. Hence me rolling my eyes and snorting and calling you a lie. Then, to make matters worse, you just started bearcharging me immediately and almost die, fled, and declared me an enemy, saying you'd hunt me as much as you would a mage? If I want to call you the 'dumbest fuggin' villager I've ever seen' at that point, yeah, I'm gonna. Fair of speech, maybe not? But better than 'FMSSMF' or '####ing Moronic Stupid #### Mother ####er'.

Battle wasn't at 'War' on Fortress for a few days after this incident took place btw, no need for lying about that. =)

Long story short you just saw an 'easy' kill, went for it, and got pissed you missed it, went for it again, died, and that was that. But I mean, you nailed me later and got the loots, but luckily at least someone saw your BS for what it was and gave it right back, woo.
71380, RE: Dude. I honestly wish I had logged the whole thing.
Posted by Isildur on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>you again repeated that they were Outlanders, I said that they
>were Nexus and you needed to fight your own battles instead of
>lying to others to get assistance.

For it to be a lie, he has to have known they weren't Outlanders. Based on what you've said, we don't know that he did. Maybe he just mistakenly thought they were Outlanders. That would also explain why he flipped out when you called him a liar.
71385, No.
Even if one of them was an Outlander which they probably were. The Svirf was his known enemy, a Nexun. He said the whole group was Outlanders. His whole purpose was for help with the high ranking Nexus flail spec he couldn't kill. He tried to tell me they were all Outlanders when I knew they weren't and I knew he knew his own enemies and who he was really trying to kill.
71345, Served.~
Posted by Aodh on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
ljkasdf
71348, Nsubstantiated and irrelivant.
at least I tried to make Griz a Rager that effort itself invalidates Neps dig.

Gruiffil has a written recipe outlin acceptable Palandinic behavior. From I saw, he threw out at least three lines of the code.

You can call it an omellet, but if you don't use eggs, all you really have is cheese dip.
71314, Props
Posted by Iltanthal on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
We had a sticky relationship, me in my elf suit and you in your dwarf suit. You were always grumpy when I saw ya, or so it seemed, so our dynamic was definitely terse. Did you intend to be a gruff character with a name that started with gruff, or was that coincidence?

Aside from that, another well-played character by you. Good luck with your next!
71328, Ha.
Didn't intend to be all the time, I was sort of hoping someone would break through, but I guess I was fairly unapproachable evidently, and definetly had a short fuse.
71331, You totally had a short fuse
Posted by Kernagor on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Gruffil got really mad at that upbraiding Kern tossed your way earlier, which I thought wasn't really a big deal and not out of line for the whole "Maran must correct squires when they are wrong" thing. I felt bad that we never really got back into the whole dwarven rapport thing we had going before then =(

On the other hand, Gruffil really, really liked to talk. Yeesh.

You were clearly a badass. Come back and visit when the numbers aren't so lopsided, sometime.
71334, RE: You totally had a short fuse
Haha, yeah, he really looked up to Kern and felt a strong kinship to him up to that point. He pretty much saw you as the only family he had in the whole Fort and when you lorded your Maran status (you could have corrected him without saying 'Squire' in a deragatory way)and drew the line of Maran/Squire and said 'Hey, I'm this far above you and we're not alike at all' he sort of just glared from that point on, all the other dwarves in his past but his wife had turned their back on him and snubbed him so why not you. =P
71279, RE: (DELETED) [FORTRESS] Gruffil Blackale the Sword of Judgment, Seeker of the Paragon
Posted by Relm on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Yeah, the pendulum thing is crazy but that won't change for a while I'm guessing.

If it helps, you were the exact reason I got improved invis as fast as I could. You were a hunting machine. If I was ranking, I'd knew you'd come sooner or later. I enjoyed all out fights, even if most of them did end in me being wrathed til I fled. I kept trying to seek you out to hunt you and in the back of my mind kept saying "Are you SURE you want to do this? Wrath hurts..."

Good luck on your next.
71278, RE: (DELETED) [FORTRESS] Gruffil Blackale the Sword of Judgment, Seeker of the Paragon
Posted by Saerali on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Yes, can't deny it's something approaching a constant Fortress gank at the moment (except in the early mornings). Still, you were fun - Saer liked you, shame to see you go. Roll something evil and come give us something else to think about ;)
71274, RE: (DELETED) [FORTRESS] Gruffil Blackale the Sword of Judgment, Seeker of the Paragon
Posted by Inger on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
We had an interesting relationship. Especially considering we were both Biddy followers but had some differences when it came to cabal politics. I thought for the most part you RP'd well with the exception of that one time you ignored me. I really was baffled by it because we were bantering back and forth about why the Village is warring with the Fort, a conversation you started. Anyways, everything else I saw about you was exemplary and I just wish you would have gotten to experience the religion more. It really is a cool one. Its too bad Ysal went overseas because that makes it even tougher for one up and coming in the religion.
71271, Can't say I blame ya, but...
Posted by Llondolis on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Anything happen to make you delete? Or just get tired of the retarded one-sidedness of everything? I figured that's why you pretty much sat pre-40 for so long, to avoid the humdrum that is hero range right now.

You were a real solid character from what I saw of you. Good job.
71272, I think a lot of nothing happened to make me delete. =P
Enemies kept getting fewer and fewer and Fortress kept getting bigger and bigger, I couldn't exactly whoop ass like that. I should have stayed at 30 when I finally got empowered past 26 after role contest. Plus there were several things that just embittered me to this whole experience from day uh..2. That damn evil pendelum mass lich swing never really happened. I really like Llondo though, he reminds me of me (Niheriva) but with far better roleplay. That whole courage thing gets your ass killed a lot though, calm down man!

Second Paladin down! Good Lord 2 hand dedicates are crazy.
71280, Man, I hated the day you maranated
Posted by Nererial on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Wither and rot were about the only things that got through your saves, and a day after I got them, you maranated and I couldn't use them against you.

You seemed like a cool enemy though. Still amazed I didn't die that time my connection crapped out with me standing right next to you. Last thing I saw was you scanning for me. Heh.
71281, Why would me Maraning prevent you from using wither and rot? n/t
gr
71282, Because eyes of flame stopped me getting opening attack
Posted by Nererial on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
And I couldn't land blindness or anything else on you once in combat.

Think famish was about the only thing I managed to get on you in combat.
71283, Eyes of flame only works on necros and anti-pallies... n/t
Posted by Random Person on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
x
71289, RE: Eyes of flame only works on necros and anti-pallies... n/t
I'm sure that makes him feel SO much better. Heh.
71292, I thought the same
Posted by NErerial on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
But something sure as hell seemed to be doing it to me.

I have been having connection trouble, but even so I find it surprising that I'd find myself thinking he was attacking before I could get attacks off, repeatedly.
71294, RE: I thought the same
There is something going on, but it's not eyes of flame. Hint hint.
71290, RE: I think a lot of nothing happened to make me delete. =P
Posted by Volubryotr on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
:) I was kind of expecting more about the lich thing myself.
In any case a much better dwarf pally two hander than I am.
I liked the character quite a bit.

:) Good luck with your next.