Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subject(AUTO) [HERALD] Yikoti Del'umsha the Champion of the Virtues
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=58611
58611, (AUTO) [HERALD] Yikoti Del'umsha the Champion of the Virtues
Posted by Death_Angel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Fri Jun 1 11:42:36 2007

At 8 o'clock AM, Day of the Moon, 14th of the Month of the Dark Shades
on the Theran calendar Yikoti perished, never to return.
Race:elf
Class:paladin
Level:51
Alignment:Good
Ethos:Orderly
Cabal:HERALD, the Heralds of the Eternal Star
Hours:325
59736, This just made me say 'Bleh.'
Posted by Pro-Man on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
An Immortal added 1500 exp for: For refusing to help a newbie get gear beyond their own abilities. Very pleasant to witness.
59755, Why was this behavior deemed EXP worthy?
I realize he is a Herald and doesn't share the edict of the Fortress to help younger characters with equipment, but this just seems wrong to encourage.
59757, Dude.. HELP RULES. All I'm going to say. (~)
Posted by Lazy Eze on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
nt
59758, What does that have to do with this? n/t
s
59760, I may be a little crazy/off
Posted by Lazy Eze on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
But there used to be something in there about not getting stuff for newbies they wouldn't be able to get for themselves.

If not, then I'm nuts.
59762, Likely thinking of 'help request'. (n/t)
Posted by Valguarnera on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM

valguarnera@carrionfields.com
59759, I've never seen that as a job of the fortress
Posted by Daurwyn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Helping younger characters is NOT the same as helping them with equipment.

Give them guidance about where to go and how to get their own stuff, and that's far more useful.

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach him to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.
59770, I'm pretty sure it's in the Maran/Squire code that you are suposed to help them
I mean it's actually written some where.
59771, So? Even if it is he was a Herald, not a member of the Fortress.
Posted by elerosse work on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
But, I don't remember reading anything about equiping newbies/lowbies.
59774, I qualified the difference in Cabals.
59772, Common sense
Posted by Twist on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Low level char (11-20ish) needs help and asks if you have any spare items? Paladin carrying around extra JBS should probably give it up.

Same low level char asks paladin to kill midnight dragon and then spend 20 or so ticks removing the taint from each individual item? So very much NOT required by any sort of code, IMO.

However, if said Paladin was sitting around his guild with his thumb up his ass doing nothing but trying different seasonings in the soup? I'd like to see him/her either agreeing or suggesting alternate things they could do.

Bottom line on this is good aligned chars get request, and have a cap on request for a reason. If the char was of a level that he could request from the snow worm (but obviously can't because it's evil yadda yadda) I wouldn't mind seeing a paladin/fort char helping out if that char isn't buff enough to kill it alone.

Lastly, whoever awarded this xp (not me, I don't think, but could've been) may have been awarding the xp for the manner in which Yikoti refused. "Sorry, no time" is fine, but not particularly XPworthy. "Young one, my Goddess Iunna teaches self reliance and mastery of War. To slay such a beast for you would teach you nothing, and in the end would do more harm to you than good." is much mo' bettah, IMO.
59773, I like that logic.
Just reading that a Paladin got EXP for not helping a lowbie didn't sit right.

I also didn't think it set a good precedent for good Paladainy behavior without explination.
59888, It was encouraged, I think...
Posted by Yikoti on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
because it was well within my role as a Iunna-follower and paladin. The give a man a fish quote is a good place to start. But Yikoti would probably think giving a man, wit a fishing pole and bucket full of worms, a fish would be an almost evil act.
59761, It's not that they refused to help someone in need...
Posted by Yhor on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
But to me it seemed another one of those 'Hey, there's a paladin! If I bug him enough, he'll kill the snow worm'.

There are a good few people who bug me like this. It's not that they -need- snow worm gear, there are perfectly acceptable pieces they could get solo at lvl 15. It's that they don't want to do the work and are bugging someone else to do it for them. Why people are obsessed with getting sets of midnight/red-dragon armour I don't know - but there are a few who still insist they can't regear unless someone kills the midnight/red dragon for them.

In fact, I'd be willing to bet it was the Midnight dragon Yikoti was asked to kill.

Yhorian
59763, My interpretation as well. (n/t)
Posted by Valguarnera on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM

valguarnera@carrionfields.com
59764, Also
Posted by Baerinika on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Lots of lowbie goodies will try and convince a higher level paladin type goodie to request them gear, which is clearly against the rules in help request. I had assumed it was one of these type situations.
59777, The part that made me bleh was the 170 gold in the bank.
Posted by Vladamir on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
As Celebrimbor I went and killed dragons in the tower for eq for the Fortress. I walked back to the Fort and slept to heal up and was given a greed dream for the 70 gold I had just gotten from the dragons less than 5 minutes before. 170 gold in the bank is just all kinds of bleh.
59786, If I remember correctly
Posted by Iunna on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
This money was intended to go to one of the Fortress imms to help the Fortress (which at the time was in a downswing). He offered to give it to me, but I told him to save it for the Fortress imms. It appears that it never got there, which I suppose has a lot to do with autodeletion.
59889, It was an idea for side quest (for myself) that never got started...
The Fort was completely empty of leaders at the time (March or April I think.) I had the gold and no good place to use it, because as I noted earlier giving stuff away for no good reason wasn't Yikoti's steelo. So I had a plan to start a sort of "black" market for legendary equipment and information for the Fort and any other Good Guys who caught my eye. Even was working on an informant in the Outlanders. Ah well...

Besides the gold I was very good about donating, trading or otherwise virtously disposing of stuff I didn't need. For a good portion of my life I had only a bag with food and water, flying potions, and a boat.
59887, What happened...
A low lowbie, like level 5 (maybe lower) with no desc asks me to kill the goblin shaman. He's wearing SOFT leather and a practice weapon. So I talked to him a bit about being strong for the trials ahead yadda yadda, gave him one of the cleansed drow swords I was about to donate to the guild, and told him to gain a couple levels. When he was ready to face the shaman I'd be standing there to make sure he didn't die, but he would do all the 'work.'

So basically it was a religion thing, coupled with the constant annoyance (IC and OOC) of random noobs asking for snow-worm gear. I tried to get something of value for every non-life-saving service I preformed. Even cleanses required (usually) a trip to the Inn and a short chat about the paladin code, religion, art or whatever. I think I got a song from a bard once for a remove curse, which was cool.
59431, Rhymes with suck
Well it was a great character. Hadnt played in a while (I've been playing since neoteny, still suck at killing people, oh well) First pally hero, first herald(or troupe), one of handful of tatted chars.

I had a blast pretty much up til the end. I got busy with school stuff, kept banging my head against my keyboard trying to write a play about the paladin code, a tiny bit bored with talking with the same people almsot every day at the bar...pretty soon I stopped logging in and after a week or two dreaded having to "catch up"

Anyway, I'm glad I got to see the devil briefly perched on my shoulder, Muhadin, come out on my last log in whenever that was. That was a hoot. Thanks for the talks, esp the one in the Inn where you made the evil gy in the corner leave. I lol'd and was also deeply flattered you thought I had the stuff to be a badass. I meant to be at level 1, but I imagine you understand how these things can change. Good luck.

Thanks to elf paladin honor guy whose name escapes me at the moment. That talk was completely unexpected and completely awesome. The xp I got afterwards got me burning brimstone, so a double thanks for that :)

Eshval for the role contest win. Thanks. I made up all those role entries on the spot, not for arts sake but explaining to myself what the eff a paladin is doing serving drinks to the worst people on Thera. Brimstone was fun, but storytelling was sweet :) The con took a great weight off my mind too, not that it mattered in the end.

Iunna...

Its weird that I feel a little emotiional just thanking you for the ride. We're both grownups, we both know its a game, but sitting there with you in the shrine, talking, pouring out my heart in bad poetry, it was really a creative treat. One that is sadly missing from a lot of electronic entertainment. I sorta miss it now, that I think about it. Oh well, guess I'll have to make another guy to squeeze that story out of you.

A couple things:

1. I had no intention of joining Herald up til the 10 seconds before it appeared on your screen.

2. It was one of the highlights of my 11+ calendar years playing CF.

Afraid I dont have another verse in me right now, so I'll just say for the last time: Thanks.

Mortals: Well I could run down a list of names but its late and the longer this note takes the more painful the (AUTO) becomes. Post something and I'll gush about how much fun we had that one time, doing that thing.

See you in the fields.
59443, Dammit, I'll say it again: why auto?!? Shield pally is a great explorer...~
Posted by Aodh on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
nt
59459, Ahh Mende
Don't know if you somehow heard or what, but I took Gnashgaar's wand of orcus to Rayihn's shrine after I got him in the Inn. Did a whole song and dance about putting your soul to rest and sacced the weapon. Never heard anything from Ray but I thought it was a fitting tribute since I missed your funeral.

As for autoing it was basically ennui. Had a lot of stuff to do (lost all my limited stuff from inactivity, had just started getting into Silent Tower, had a poem to post) but could never bring myself to open the clinet. Oh well.

Hope you're back to killing the piggies, or whatever else. I think I talked to your next character at the bar once, but couldn't be sure :)

Peace.
59467, :) Yay. Thanks for the tribute. GLWYN!~
nt
59444, Ahh, We had fun as Mersiliat
Posted by Kirslamix on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
We sure kicked it around a lot with Mers, we had some good times, good chats and really thank you for all your help. You saved my life more than once there:) Thanks again my friend, good luck with the next!
59458, Heh
I remember this dwarf asks me out the blue if I use two handed weapons. Yadda yadda he gives me bal'talon in trade for phoenix edge (a weird weapon trade with an NPC, but it seemed logical and I didn't get caught) Not two ticks later I'm headed to hide in the library while I wait for you to log on. Oh, an orc right in front of the Inn...what could go wrong! Ha.

Had fun running with you, I played one and a half lowbie paladins before and a treat for me was always interacting with fellow paladins. Real brothers in arms vibe and you didnt disappoint in that regard. Anyway, peace.
59453, This bummed me out.
Posted by Iunna on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I'm glad you had fun. You were definitely one of my favorite followers to interact with; you helped remind me of Iunna's mortal days and the kind of person she was then compared to now. On my end, it was pretty disappointing to watch the days add up to your autodeletion, losing any real expectation of you logging on again.

I did drop the ball on giving you a title - you deserved one, and unfortunately it didn't happen. Best I can give you now is a song, since it always seemed fitting to me for Yikoti.

I wake up, it's a bad dream
No one on my side
I was fighting
But I just feel too tired
To be fighting
Guess I'm not the fighting kind

-Keane, A Bad Dream
59457, heh, great song
I miss all my friends in and out of the Inn, but this auto really hurts because I never got to talk to you again besides a routine "pray date" (you can use that) at the shrine. The generic title was no big deal for me, felt it was part of the religion to make a name for myself, and I stil had the idea, like I told you when you inducted me, to be a high herald someday...

Bah.

Send Kali my love :)

Really hope I get a chance (and the inspiration) to make another follower. You definitely make this game better with your presence.
58851, This makes Mende cry. You were great, why auto?~
nt
58683, Auto?!?
Posted by Hunsobo on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Lose interest, or OOC matters take control. Either way, it's too bad. We had some good fights, and some really one-sided ones. Most of all I really enjoyed the conversations we had. You always seemed to set me up with the perfect tell or say for me to completely misconstrue and mangle with Hunsobo's malaprops.

All in all, a solid character.
59460, Hahaha
It's cliche, but totally appropriate. You are a effing beast. The fact that I had to share a goddess with you annoyed, <i>annoyed</i> me to no end. Shourtly before I stopped I got some resist acid preps, a cursed ice sword AND shield, and a weak haste...all for you. ;)

Oh and props for one kill in particular, when I log in, count to 10, and I'm getting bashed with no protections whatsoever by a hasted warmaster. Awesome. And the funny part was you telling everyone not to touch my corpse and they actually listened!

As for trying to talk to you... Well it just hurts for a sorta powerful elf to get beat at swordplay. But I can accept it. For a elf herald paladin follower of a poetry goddess to get owned by a dumb giant in the taunting game, well...my helm's off to you, sir.

58617, Well that sucks!
Posted by Lyug on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I had alot of fun hanging out with you before I became a herald. Too bad I wasn't able to see you too much after that though. I liked your char and think you should roll another herald! We could use some company in there.

-Lyug
59461, RE: Well that sucks!
I told someone in game, in all paladinly seriousness, that you were the most kindhearted soul I'd ever met in Thera. The fact that you were a cloud giant didn't mean anything. You really were a lovable lug and I was IRL happy when you got in Herald.

Keep an eye on the little ones for me. Peace.