Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subject(DELETED) [OUTLANDER] Atchertene Ta'Veen the Dweller of the Wilds, Adherent of the Glade
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=42869
42869, (DELETED) [OUTLANDER] Atchertene Ta'Veen the Dweller of the Wilds, Adherent of the Glade
Posted by Death_Angel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Tue Nov 8 00:00:30 2005

At 11 o'clock AM, Day of the Sun, 13th of the Month of the Frost Giant
on the Theran calendar Atchertene perished, never to return.
Race:human
Class:ranger
Level:51
Alignment:Good
Ethos:Chaotic
Cabal:OUTLANDER, the Outlanders of Thar-Eris
Hours:193
42921, Beating a dead horse
Posted by Arminas on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You know, I could rant about this for a while, but I'm going to spare everyone. I have noticed a trend within the outlanders and the tribunals to dissapear quickly. (150-250 hours) This character was, like many I came across and the few I inducted, well played, well thought out, well executed from my POV. People need to find an idea they know they will enjoy and stick with it. (Yes, this included flee/sleep/flee/sleep, to be fair.) For what it is worth I thought this character had great potential. A shame you did not stick with it.

Arminas
42924, To be fair...I am not sure about him
Posted by Aryze on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
But Aryze...was my longest lived character(260 hours, I think)...and before that was Zoel at 212(which is BIG difference) I usually get bored at around 120-160 hours, and delete...I dont know why I get bored easily, WHEEE!!!(and I am surprised that Harkan even kept my attention for 120 hours or so, but I ended up getting bored with that...too, hah, I am horrible). Though I do agree with you, I think Atchertene would have done great things if he stuck it out.
42925, RE: Beating a dead horse
Posted by Valkenar on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
> dissapear quickly. (150-250 hours)

For some people 150-250 hours is quite a while. 150-250 hours is 4 months to a year for me.
42930, 150-200 hours is (txt)
Posted by Nightwiggler on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
A huge investment of time.

Please stop smoking the crack.
42971, RE: 150-200 hours is (txt)
>A huge investment of time.

>Please stop smoking the crack.

When Arminas finally drops dead I'll see if I cannot get my PBF up, or you can simply have a look at the hours in him on the regular. You'll see what a huge investment of time really comes out to. Better yet, ask Zulghinlour or Valg to post their hours. Makes your concept of 'crack' look like a decaf yerba matte soy latte with honey instead of sugar.
42972, RE: 150-200 hours is (txt)
Posted by Aiekooso on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I can go out on a limb and say that the average character life falls between 150-200 hours possibly less. Look over the battlefield for confirmation of this. Most people play a character for fun, once it isn't any fun they delete and move on. Just because you have had fun with one character, likely your first leader. Does not mean everyone else does. Even a character I like usually only last about 250. The ones I don't considerablly less.
42977, Heh
>Just because you have had fun with one character, likely your first leader.

You also thought I was a newbie if I remember correctly. ;)
42980, RE: Heh
Posted by Aiekooso on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Yep, and I'm pretty sure I'm right on both counts. That has nothing to do with the post. I think Valg cleared it up.
42973, Wow, that's harsh.
Posted by Icthaen on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I think it's great that yourself, Valg and Zulg can put in hundred and hundreds of hours consistently but I think you need to lighten up just a bit and see the big picture. Many of us have school/family/jobs and a 200 hour character is a huge investment for us. This is a great game, and I don't think you need to play 600 hour characters to enjoy it or get some recognition. Needless to say I think you doping a character because he put 200 hours in it is lame as hell. Take the good with the bad, and see beyond your small situation which allows you to put in all these hours.
42975, Yeouch
Whoa.. rein it in there, Hoss. I'm not knocking his accomplishments or recognition. I myself have been along your side MANY of your characters while they did so in a small amount of time. I think it's excellent that people attain that. I think it's excellent the immortals reward that so quickly and keep such a close eye on so many promising people. I myself as well work full time and have a couple large responsibilities to shoulder so I do understand. My original point was that he was headed towards so much more from at least where I was standing and when he was on the breech of it, he left. When I made a comment about it, I was asked to stop smoking crack. I do take the good and bad together, believe me, but I also feel that if it becomes difficult to be around for a time, step back and return when you can and see if the fire is still there. If not, okay, you made the effort. I also think this is a great game and you don't need 600+ hour chars one after the other to enjoy it, but I also find that sticking one out that long can lead to some very interesting changes to that you just don't get to see in the amount of time I originaly stated. I -know- it's not for everyone. I just think it's a little sad to see it happen right when his life seemed to be at a point where it might climb higher.
42974, RE: 150-200 hours is (txt)
Posted by Valguarnera on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I'm the first person to talk about how short-lived characters aren't as beneficial to the game as long-lived characters, but I don't think playing a character for 150-200 hours is the least bit worthy of scorn. I think it's plenty of time to develop a good story and experiment within a role.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com
42976, RE: 150-200 hours is (txt)
Urg..

Okay I may have come off harsh there and I certainly did not mean to. I was simply trying to make a point about how rewarding it can be when you stick to it through good and bad.
42984, Same old things, same old things.
Posted by DurNominator on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I deleted Frearrir, because I felt I was doing the same old things over and over again. Repetition. Fre was deleted at 210 hours or so. One way to extend your chars lifetime is to explore Thera. Fungor was an explorer, and lived 629 hours(70 arial years, though it didn't update and PBF shows it as 627(or 625) hours, which was the age in the beginning of the session), in which stage he accidentally put on a wrong ring and died to old age(losing maybe 20 hours). Though the fact that kept Fungor alive was that he was my first char and I wanted to keep him alive as long as I can. I used to give similar comments about people who play chars for only 200 hours or so, but now I realise that I'm one of these people myself(though this is situation dependent) and understand better now.
43005, RE: Beating a dead horse
Posted by Atchertene on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
While I can understand your frustration at nobody sticking it out as long or hard as you, you have to look at the other side of the coin, too. If I would've kept at Atch, he would've slidden from the char you liked to that one guy who logs in every once in a while and keeps to his own and doesn't really add anything to the game. The last 50 hours of the character were a fight against rage deletion, really. Don't take it personally, though. I love outlander, I liked the role, but I hated my job, if you will. The main problem was that I was really tired of playing a ranger. This was my first serious char in a couple of years, and I got tired of getting my ass handed to me fighting out of the forest. I see rangers like fastball hitters. If I get the pitch I'm looking for, I can smoke it. If the pitcher has a wicked slider, though, I'm gonna strike out. If Atch had been a warrior, I'd still be banging it out, for sure. From some conversations I've had since deleting, it seems like I might have messed up some plans in the works, which is good. If Atch had gotten anything, it was undependable, and I would've hated to let things go any further only to delete later. And, in all honesty, I'm having a ball ranking my faceless explore character and not waiting an hour to fight on my terms, only to have people log out when I accidently step out of camo for a minute. (You know who you are! haha) All in all, I'm glad I played Atch, and I'm glad I'm done playing Atch. Anybody who'd like to chat, hit me up at Bell2629@gmail.com

Bell
42917, RE: (DELETED) [OUTLANDER] Atchertene Ta'Veen the Dweller of the Wilds, Adherent of the Glade
Posted by Mylinos on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I enjoyed ranking with you the few times we did, I was impressed to see you make hero, I know it can be tough with a ranger.
42912, I am not going to let this disappear...
Posted by Aryze on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Umm...so I have to say something! MUHAHA...anyway...damn, 193 hours, I thought you had more than that(considering you had the character a lot longer than Aryze...) Well, you have been through some tough times...though sometimes I wish you didn't get so frustrated earlier on...but whatever, at least you kept on plugging along...

Thank you for letting me around with you...Aryze(and I) did like your char a lot...fun times. I know it got crazy with the whole Harkan deal, no one knows the half of it(except of course, Harkan, the...bastard himself...hehe)...But yeah, good luck with your next...and maybe when I role another character we will run together again(who knows). See ya around