Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subject(DELETED) [FORTRESS] Alyre the Elemental Queen, Child of the Unicorn
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=42392
42392, (DELETED) [FORTRESS] Alyre the Elemental Queen, Child of the Unicorn
Posted by Death_Angel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Tue Oct 25 20:00:53 2005

At 3 o'clock PM, Day of the Bull, 15th of the Month of the Long Shadows
on the Theran calendar Alyre perished, never to return.
Race:human
Class:druid
Level:48
Alignment:Good
Ethos:Chaotic
Cabal:FORTRESS, the Fortress of Light
Hours:173
42394, [FORTRESS] Alyre the Child of the Unicorn
Posted by Alyre on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
First time I have nearly got misty eyed deleting a character.

I loved so much about this character, especially when it was my main character. I loved the Unicorn Spirit, Shokai, Aarn, the Evil Spirits. I loved the fortress, I loved the title, I loved the unicorn tattoo reguardless if it just looked really kewl :) I was really thankfull for it all. Never have I had so much faith in the immortal staff as with this character.

The only thing I didn't like was druids. I have played a lot of druids, and I think I was just burnt out class wise. I was extremely deathful at first (with much effort), but at the end felt just like a really annoying mosquito.

Nepenthe can confirm, but besides losing the hunt (which I missed because I just really always have fun with that) and moonbeam (makes sense), I think my powers seemed extremely weak because of lack of forest time? I tried to mix, but being in a cabal defending/raiding can limit it, also when needing to work with groups. Ahh, gone it seemed were the days of sunray that hit minimum of ANNIHILATES to Unspeakables. It seemed this way for me. It was the first time I ever spent most of my life fire seeding with a druid. In the old days it seemed it was always sunray first, fire seeds indoors, and thorn if they were a maran. I use to love to set traps with "the hunt" and briarthorns, maybe losing one and the other being severely weakened changed some of that fun.

Suggestions I'd like to see for druids: Put some continued usability back in briarthorns, make druid forms more useful, there is a lot being sacraficed to use these for the briefest of moments, so much so that I'd almost rather see bearform replaced with a utility waterform. Give druids SOME sort of protection against earth elementals, zombies, shapeshifters, etc. Taking 100% damage against these things were frustrating. Thats it :)

So many good memories in this character. I'll respond to anyone that replies. This character got great interaction with immortals and mortals. Thanks for judging me into placement for the role contest. Which immortal was the mean dark spirit that kept slaying the unicorns and sending them to my inventory? I remember being in one fight with a necromancer and 6 unicorn corpses appeared in my inventory. Between the visions, the awe-inspiring meetings with Shokai, the great discussion with Aarn (dalbiddle interupted even), it was all fun. Thanks Qulenit, Limnorei and everyone else for help with leveling.

Got a bit spam killed at end, was fun at first. Just druid burnt out and felt much more powerful as other characters. Don't reply that druids are more powerful that I know, I've played druids in the past that have had hundreds of kills :) Just seemed different these days. I think if I play another druid in the future, it will be my 1st outlander, I think pure wood druids are the only way to go now. (obvious statement, but I think it makes a HUGE difference.)

*sigh* I'm rambling and probably should go. But once again, hardest character I ever had to delete. But I logged in only every few weeks during the last 2 months to keep it active. A bad sign. At its prime, I was on Alyre like 8 hours a day. Just was tough to say goodbye.

Thanks again everyone.
42395, PS. Which immortal sent me on the death mission...:)
while impersonating the unicorn spirit to fight the tree south of aturi?

That was so mean :) But I tried to be a good sport. I'll try to find log, but basically......

-A unicorn urges you to rush to evil of a tree south of Aturi.
-Stepped into same area as scions in corn field.
-Summoned
-Insert 8 scion bashing you to death in one round here. (zombies, nightwalkers)
-Altar
-say I must continue to work against the evil of this tree.
-A unicorn urges you that you have done all that can be done for now.

-Exp Tnl goes from 3,000 to 17,000.
-The divine heavens awards you with 700 exp!

Hah :) hehe, all good fun :) I kept going for a long time after that, but got a kick out of it :)
42418, Alyre
Posted by Arminas on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Of the few interactions we had I always fund myself enjoying every moment of it. Wish I had got to know the character better than I did, but being a cabal leader pulls you in many directions you don't always want to head in. Really sorry to see you go.

Arminas
42498, RE: Alyre
Arminas,

I did enjoy interacting with you. You being an elven outlander, it just really fit our compatability.

I often wish I could learn more of the game ic from others for preps. I don't use irc or chatrooms, don't even have it installed. I know protection and stoneskin. Thats it. Don't know a single a/b/s, don't know where to get haste for non-battlerager warriors.

I felt like if I wanted to get better in carrionfields through ic means, I really should have found more time to spend with you and Iliena. It would have been great to legitimately learn some of these things from people who knows the secrets of carrion fields a lot better than me.

When I was superactive though, I usually was spending every waking second trying to pin down where one of the few evils were who were logged on.

Thanks for the interactions. Was fun and you are a strong component of Outlander. I hope you stick it out til age death to give some solidarity to the goody component as the other leaders come up into power.
42487, RE: [FORTRESS] Alyre the Child of the Unicorn
Posted by Baltherias on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Pity I've been so busy, and was unable to play and interact with you. Especially given the hints in the role about characters like myself. Oh well, we can't always have what we want. Still, can't believe someone managed to create, near hero, turn good, etc...in the span I was gone. Jeez, have some longevity! Anyways, if I don't get myself killed in the meantime, maybe you'll have the chance to interact abit with your outlander.
42496, RE: [FORTRESS] Alyre the Child of the Unicorn
It would have been great for our druids to interact. I would have loved some more druid vs druid fights. I was highly active in June/July mostly.

Evil druids. Fun and lots of opportunities to kill. Seems so last decade though! Ha, just teasing ;)

You played your druid well. I know because I fought you as Laurendia that one night, my paladin in Voralian. Your good playing of Baltherias actually made me less satisfied with druids. I have the log of that fight somewhere and what frustrated me, (for you), was that you were doing everything right and seemed just like a viscious mosquito. As you know, you had to flee and reheal about 30 times. And you were FAST! You followed me to the different places to remove thornheart as good as I could have done, maybe better.

Yet through it all, it just seemed I never was close to really losing the battle and I didn't have any great equipment. You communed right, you healed right, you were quick on the draw. It was just too easy to use non-metal weapons and force you to flee in a couple rounds or risk dying. I even intentionally let my mana go negative and still fought you several more passes.

You are a great druid, and will be one of the most powerful, it just put their power in a whole new light though after playing a paladin. And if you weren't evil and neutral to avoid wrath, a maran paladin can still just summon and force you to fight or abandon the fight indoors. What are you going to do, fire seed the paladin to death and heal him? You can't entangle, you can't sunray/moonray, kick to death? The forms just seem inferior, if you are cure critting IN combat, you aren't doing it right. You'll need haste preps to be equal to a shapeshifter, and none of the herbs carry over their protective abilities. And once the forms are gone, long time before you can get more.

I really wish carapace gave a more solid resistance even if it was like a 25% wraithform type resistance that didn't get added in when your protection from metal was working. Against any above average enemy otherwise, we are sometimes just healers who forgot their sanc! *mutter* and I had perm protection from evil as my druid so should be complaining less.
42490, RE: [FORTRESS] Alyre the Child of the Unicorn
Posted by shokai on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM

Good fun all around...it taught me that occasionally picking up interesting non-covered sphere priests is occasionally a good thing :P

Sorry to see you go, I was really quite impressed with the character and hope that whatever's next flows just as smoothly.
42493, RE: [FORTRESS] Alyre the Child of the Unicorn
Thanks Shokai.

It was really fun and I really appreciated you taking me under your wing with Aarn there. It really was great to see the Gods of Light incorporated.

It was also fun to be a good druid with so many evil druids around, and the rp concept of nature being generally benevolent seemed to work. A rabid wolverine isn't really evil.

It was very impressive the whole trip to your throne. Very awe inspiring the way you guys did that. I also liked the falling to the earth or blaze of light analogies :)

Once again, EVERYTHING was great with this character. Just got tired of entangling and fireseeding or annoying people with spores and thornheart :)

In former druids long long time ago, one of the things I was best at was laying traps with briars and the hunt. And having as long as patience as it took be they lich or cabal sitter :)

This was the first character I had that ever interacted with you so directly. My first fortress character. My last character in knights was when yourself and Raisa were 51 immortals aproximately and cador was berating a few of us :)

PS. This experienced inspired me to create Laurendia. A paladin follower of yours. She was not nearly as deep rp, but SO MUCH more powerful it seemed. Paladins were amazing, could do so much my druid could not. Seems with druids you fight a few rounds and flee or rescue, fight a few rounds and flee and rescue. Paladins really seemed like they could wade in to heavy combat which I loved.
42492, RE: [FORTRESS] Alyre the Child of the Unicorn
Posted by Aarn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Great character! Enjoyed interacting with you and watching you, you played out your role very well. Good luck with your next attempt, hope it comes out well!

Aarn
42495, RE: [FORTRESS] Alyre the Child of the Unicorn
Thanks Aarn,

And also my first interaction with you. I really appreciate the time you took to pull me aside and talk to me in the jade mountains.

The dalbiddle interaction left great amusement on an ic and ooc level :) I was like....rp is great....but....who would talk to an immortal like that? If Alyre was speaking to Cyradia, she wouldn't approve of her followers, but wouldn't push Cyradia around telling her she should stop wearing evil items or something :)

As I send in reply to Shokai, really like the way you did the phoenix in the sky thing.

Aarn was a fun character and sometime I'll have to make a follower. The only reason I stopped with Laurendia my paladin after Alyre was because of the lack of evils to kill. I really really want to have a spectrum of enemies to look for.

*mutter* though the last two times alyre logged in while I was painfully considering deletion, I seemed to find 5 emperials at once while sitting their emoting rp stuff :)