Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subject(CON LOSS) [FORTRESS] Salvienis the Legend of the Battlefield
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=40405
40405, (CON LOSS) [FORTRESS] Salvienis the Legend of the Battlefield
Posted by Death_Angel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Sat Aug 13 04:21:55 2005

At 9 o'clock PM, Day of Deception, 2nd of the Month of the Ancient Darkness
on the Theran calendar Salvienis perished, never to return.
Race:storm
Class:warrior
Level:51
Alignment:Good
Ethos:Orderly
Cabal:FORTRESS, the Fortress of Light
Hours:153
40489, Sal...I always felt bad for you.
Posted by Senisblat on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Let me preface this by saying that in no way do I consider myself to be a badass player. Yet, every single time that I saw you Sal, I would tell you over and over again 'Flee if you are hurt...there is no honor lost.' And, every time you would die. I don't know if this was part of your RP or if you really just didn't have the hang of fleeing. I always felt bad for you and tried to help you along as much as I could.

That being said, it is awesome to see some newbs getting into the game. I know you said a few times IC that you didn't plan on waking up again so soon, so if you have some more game time roll up another. Play an assassin or ranger that can hide a bit better....

40418, RE: (CON LOSS) [FORTRESS] Salvienis the Legend of the Battlefield
Posted by Dude Love on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Wow you already ate a con death. Sad to see you go, it was nice to see someone that is obviously green get into it with a warrior. Still con death at 229 hours, ouch that hurts. On a side note wtf Fortress imms why are we letting people con die as squires? Being a newbie shouldnt negate chances of maran loving. You guys need to get into it

40428, RE: (CON LOSS) [FORTRESS] Salvienis the Legend of the Battlefield
Posted by nepenthe on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>On a
>side note wtf Fortress imms why are we letting people con die
>as squires? Being a newbie shouldnt negate chances of maran
>loving.

No, but being utterly PK incompetent should.

No offense, I liked Salvienis, but a guy who runs like 2-30 shouldn't be recognized for being a deadly hunter of evil. It cheapens the whole thing.
40430, At the same time, Maran powers would swing that ratio a bit nt
Posted by Daurwyn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
nt
40434, RE: (CON LOSS) [FORTRESS] Salvienis the Legend of the Battlefield
Posted by Oz on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
No, but being utterly PK incompetent should.

No offense, I liked Salvienis, but a guy who runs like 2-30 shouldn't be recognized for being a deadly hunter of evil. It cheapens the whole thing.

If a really new guy mennages to take a good warrior, get into the fortress, get to level 51 and pull a whole 153 hours, he deseves 2 medals and a free psychiatric exam. But well i will speak about this later from my own experience. I just hope that Imms don't decide who deserves more help and who less based on on nothing but how well someone PKs.
40435, RE: (CON LOSS) [FORTRESS] Salvienis the Legend of the Battlefield
Posted by Lyristeon on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
If you had read the rest of the post, including the comments made by Shokai, you would see that there is plenty of room in the Fortress for people to learn. That is why there are Squires, so that those who may not have what it takes to be a Maran can learn. It most certainly has more to do with it than just pk, but, being able to pk should have a hand in that decision. 2-30 as a pk ratio for a warrior would prevent them from moving up in any cabal, not just Fortress.
40431, dude...
Posted by shokai on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I assure you that if ever there was someone who was all about giving newbies a chance, you'll find that imm sitting at the top of the imm dogpile in Fortress. Yeah, me. I assure you, I'm all about giving newbies a fair shot...and on the whole I don't care if you can kill or not*. However as Nep pointed out below...I can't, with a good feeling, start making full Marans out of people who don't quite meet the mental bar I've got, just because they're newbies.

Nothing against Sal, by any means. However, one of the reasons we set up the Fortress with two tiers is so that I could allow newbies to be in the cabal and learn from being around the pros....as opposed to watching from the sidelines. The term 'squire' isn't there just for continuity sake...I expect 'squires' to be learning. Whether it's IC or OOC, I want them learning from the Maran and Acolytes...and even from each other.

I'll go one step further to say that yes, I haven't been around a whole lot...this happens given my career choice, however...other than Aarn, there are a lot of eyes that glance fortward a goodly amount of the day, and none of those eyes have any hesitation about dropping Aarn and I a line. Good or ill, I assure you, the Fort is watched and AArn and I are kept pretty well informed on what's going on. Trust us, we mostly know what we're doing. Expired zebra cakes and all...

* This is somewhat misleading after I reread it. I do, in fact, care if people can kill...but it's far from the only criteria I have for the bump to Maran. It *is* part of the over all judgement I (and/or Aarn) make....but it's not the single thing that matters. I don't expect full Maran to always be the baddest of the bad and the meanest of the mean...but I do expect them to present a reasonable threat to their foes. At no point do I want a cabal of full Maran that are snickered at by the opposing cabals....since not only does that cheapen the 'feel' of the cabal, it kinda cheapens everyone else who has had to struggle for it over the years. /end edit.
40432, AA
Posted by Aiekooso on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Is Aarn an old wrestling fan? Does that AA stand for Arn Anderson?!?!
40433, This was my theory...
Posted by Mek on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
http://www.robarnieanddawn.com/ArniesPage.htm

But I suppose we may never know.
40447, RE: AA
Posted by Aarn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Good lord no. I'm proud to admit that I've never enjoyed wrestling. I don't like NASCAR either!

40437, Shok.
Posted by Vimal2 on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
We're with ya you big softy.