Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subjectATTENTION: Not intrested in critique AT ALL!
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=38253
38253, ATTENTION: Not intrested in critique AT ALL!
Posted by Pro-man on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Okay, I here it said that perfected skills and defenses do not matter. It's also said that Levels don't matter. If this is true, why is it that I only landed one hit in the whole fight? I know the guy was in the mists practicing for some time (There is allways a Duergar Axe In the mists if you ever lose yours) So I assume he had some skills improved.

That being said I don't know his stats obviously.

I am only asking, --I repeat-- If skills/levels aren't important, what can account for my character ability only landing one strike in an otherwise extended fight?

Enlarged Flying

<100%hp 100%m 74%mv 5802tnl>
You evade Attawai's bash, causing him to fall flat on his face.
Attawai's bash misses you.
You yell 'Help! Attawai is bashing me!'
Attawai is in perfect health.

<100%hp 100%m 74%mv 5802tnl>
Attawai's slice maims you!
Your shield blocks Attawai's slice.
Attawai parries your wrath.

<87%hp 100%m 74%mv 5802tnl> fs
You narrow your eyes and glare in Attawai's
direction.
You lost your concentration.

<87%hp 92%m 74%mv 5802tnl> fs
Attawai's slice EVISCERATES you!
Attawai deflects your wrath with his shield.

<70%hp 92%m 74%mv 5802tnl> dis
You parry Attawai's slice.

<70%hp 92%m 74%mv 5802tnl> dis
You fail to disarm Attawai.

<70%hp 92%m 74%mv 5802tnl>
Attawai's slice MUTILATES you!

<56%hp 92%m 74%mv 5802tnl> fs

<56%hp 92%m 74%mv 5802tnl> You narrow your eyes and glare in Attawai's
direction.
You lost your concentration.

<56%hp 84%m 74%mv 5802tnl>
You dodge Attawai's slice.
Attawai dodges your wrath.

<56%hp 84%m 74%mv 5802tnl> dis
Jabbing quickly, you slide a steel long sword behind
the head of an axe with a blade of opal and jerk it away from Attawai!
You disarm Attawai!

<56%hp 84%m 74%mv 5802tnl> get 1.

Attawai's punch devastates you!

<45%hp 84%m 74%mv 5802tnl>
Attawai slams into you with a leading shoulder that sends you flying!
Attawai's bash grazes you.

<43%hp 84%m 74%mv 5802tnl>
You deflect Attawai's punch off the edge of your shield.
Your shield blocks Attawai's punch.
A steel long sword shimmers with a soft white glow, slowly enveloping you.
As the light fades, a feeling of hope and goodness swells inside you.
You feel better!

You parry Attawai's punch.

Attawai gets an axe with a blade of opal.

Attawai wields an axe with a blade of opal.

<45%hp 84%m 74%mv 5802tnl> dis

<45%hp 84%m 74%mv 5802tnl> dis

<34%hp 86%m 78%mv 5802tnl> >
Attawai's slice EVISCERATES you!
You sure are BLEEDING!
Your wrath maims Attawai!
You feel better!
Attawai has a few scratches.

<19%hp 86%m 78%mv 5802tnl> You see no 1. here for you to take.

<19%hp 86%m 78%mv 5802tnl> You fail to disarm Attawai.

<19%hp 86%m 78%mv 5802tnl> fl
>
You sure are BLEEDING!
You feel better!

<10%hp 86%m 78%mv 5802tnl> qq
>
Attawai suddenly springs forward and sends you sprawling with a solid body blow!
Attawai's bash injures you.
You sure are BLEEDING!

<5%hp 86%m 78%mv 5802tnl> qq

Attawai's slice MUTILATES you!
You have been KILLED!!

38292, Suppose my post got the ole heave ho
Posted by Kazadan on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Ah well, hope you guys didn't remove it because of
the title, because the title was very sarcastic. Thought
the post was actually constructive and helpful.

- Kazadan
38293, So did I. (nt)
Posted by Manden-lazy on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Thought it was a good post too. Oh well.
38272, Not critiquing you.
Posted by DeathClaw1 on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
But, rarely do I have this particular problem and I never practice stuff. I typically know and understand that at any given time, factors such as skill percentages, gear, strategy and inherent advantages and disadvantages will land me in a situation where someone outguns me. The skills aren't the real thing that is screwing me, its a factor of many. Thats why skills don't matter too much. They're just one factor and one that is less important than say, knowing that an axe spec will trump an unempowered shield paladin with a low average sword at that level. You get what I'm saying? Not critiquing you, but the reason this rarely happens to me is because I accept that at certain levels some classes will beat me, at other levels I may beat them easier, preps, gear and skills are some factors as well as tactics and inherent advantages and disadvantages. Of all those factors I listed, skill %'s are in my opinion the least important, followed by gear (assuming you're adequately geared), followed by preps, followed by tactics and finally some classes if there is a competant person behind the wheel will just be able to counter you well.

If you control more of those than the enemy, and the ones you control are more important than the ones they control, you will win the fight. If you control one of those factors (player skill for instance) but he trumps you in the rest and isn't outright stupid in his choices, then he will win.

Someone always has to lose a fight. In a solo fight, at least you don't need to be much better in the rest of the categories to survive and win.
38258, RE: ATTENTION: Not intrested in critique AT ALL!
Posted by Valguarnera on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Character skills won't do anything when the player makes poor tactical decisions. Disarming a guy when he can see his weapon is a poor gamble that generally ends up with him grabbing his weapon before the lag from disarm works. Disarming a guy when you're at 19% health and he's barely touched is a good way to seal your own death. If you're seeing "Your wrath maims Attawai!" against a duergar, and he's hitting you with a slashing weapon about twice as hard... the problem isn't that you only landed one hit. Finally, while a sword is a good defensive one-handed weapon, it's not a great offensive choice. Against a warrior with all three physical defenses, it's not surprising you didn't land many blows with it. Not that it would have changed anything if the RNG was kinder and you landed 5.

Could skills have mattered at all? Sure. They all have a small positive effect when higher. Would they have changed who won this fight? No.

Why give up on Flamestrike? You had plenty of mana, and it's a solid damage/lag tradeoff. Even unempowered paladins land a good number of kills with that as a primary tool.

You can write "not interested in critique AT ALL", but it's not possible to separate your decisions from the fight's result. You can feel free to spend tons of hours working on character skills, but you'll still lose fights with those kinds of pre-fight and mid-fight errors.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com
38260, Anyone? Anyone at all?
Can anyone explain why only one of my hits landed?

In case I wasn't clear before, I'm not talking about why I lost the fight. That much is clear to me, I'm not questioning it.

Let me be clear, I'm not talking about the tactics involved.

In case anyone missed what I was saying, I'm asking what would be the reasons why only one of my blows got through?

I hope I was clear on this.

Pro

P.S. Since we are on the subject, what could be the reason, only one of my attacks landed?
38262, RE: Anyone? Anyone at all?
Posted by Aarn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
For the best answer, I'll refer you to Valg's post above. He points out several very valid points. But I'll recap:

1) weapon choice
2) class difference
3) RNG
4) skills

Valg very clearly says that skills do matter. A small amount. What he does emphasise, which you apparently didn't want to hear, is that even if the level of skill percentage were switched between your two characters, it still wouldn't have made a difference in the outcome. You maybe you would have hit him three times. You got out-meled by a warrior... that shouldn't be too surprising.

I'll also point out that you're completely assuming that the duergar has his defenses practiced up, while that may not even be the case.

There, I rephrased your answer in a numbered bullet-point format. Can't complain about that one!

Aarn
38264, Thanks.
I am assuming the guy has his stuff practiced.

I know it was an uneven match-up and one I could reasonably expect to lose. However, I can't help but feel it's worth it to practice ones skills when I see this.

I've fought hundreds of combinations before, and when I'm practiced up, or they are it does show.

Still, I was suprised at the difference there.

And as far as what you said about Valg's post, I admit I was a bit Miffed. I asked for a very specific thing and he still had to comment.

Still thanks to you both.
38273, Lets evaluate.
Posted by DeathClaw1 on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You have parry and shield block and are wielding an easy to defend against weapon.

He has parry, shield block and dodge and a weapon that is hard to parry.

He hits you harder than you hit him.

Axes hit more often than your sword does.

He knows swords, you do not know axes.

He has more hit points and skills available to him, because he is of higher level in a low level fight (levels matter most between 11 and 35 or so).

He has better gear so possibly more hit points from that as well.

You have no real skills at your arsenal yet besides flamestrike and disarm.

What in this scenario makes you think you could have won that fight unless the guy was completely incompetant?
38294, Bash.
I disarm Bash spammers. It wins quite often. In this case it did not.
38357, RE: Bash.
Posted by Sorthian on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
If you're fighting someone with any grasp of the lag system in combat, disarming bashing classes that are not blinded is often ineffective.

The only time a disarm is effective is if the opponent has input multiple commands into their client.

In short, if you fight anyone with a little experience in pk and disarm them when they're not blinded its pointless. It is a risky tactic as Valg said as generally the playerbase of CF is one of experience.

Duergars are generally bad news at low ranks anyway. With their high hp you can expect them to be tough to handle and, while they're not infallible other race/classes are easier to beat.
38362, Does anyone read? n/t
Posted by Pro-Man on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
And you are the one who doesn't understand MISSED Bash lag if you are saying that.
38268, Well
Posted by Valkenar_ on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>Can anyone explain why only one of my hits landed?

What was your hitroll?

How much time did he have? Obviously he initiated, so he was somewhat ready. Is it impossible that he saw you and prepped?

Call me a noob, but is it absolutely certain AC doesn't matter at all for dodge/parry/shield block? He may have been geared for AC, and I can believe that it would contribute a little bit.

Also, Valg did say that swords aren't very offensive.

So you have skills + swords + inoffensiveness + AC + RNG screw at the very least. Then you may also have hitroll issues (I don't know, obviously, I'm asking), and he could've prepped also (haste maybe?).

So all of these things together is what made you miss, no one thing. That would be my guess anyway.
38270, Hit roll and parry are connected?
I thought Parry and such was checked to see if the attack wa blocked then hit roll came in to see if you were even hit.
38267, FYI. I was borrowing from Nep's play book.
That is, if something isn't working, try something else.

At best I could cast 6 Flamestrikes. Having failed 2 I would only be able to cast 5 more. Not enough.

So I went with the disarm. Disarm worked, but He lagged me out long enough to retrieve it. Had he not got that bash off the Axe was mine. It was succesful so I tried again.

In which case I could hopefully widdle him down with My feeble sword. I may have onlymaimed him there but I was Devestating to EVISCERATING otherwise.

He parried, shield blocked and dodged like a champ.

I knew it was ####ty odds, I gambled and lost but I always go into a fight thinking I'll at the very least be able to escape. His two bashes that landed hit at such a time that they stacked with my own lag and finished me.

When a fight goes that long it's a good indication for me that I'm at the very least going to be able to escape. I was wrong this time. I went from 45% to dead in one command from me. What's a girl to do?

I get that I lost the fight. I really do. I'm not blaming anyone or anything, I'm really not. I know why I lost, honest. I brought it here because I thought it odd that I could fight someone that long and only hit him once. I was clear in my request and my curiosity is genuine. I stopped practicing for the most part long ago. But I've been housed by a few people who do, and it's often most telling in their defenses.

I wish you had just suspended judgment and made an honest effort to answer a question free of personal predudice.

38257, Here I'll be nice
Posted by Rogue-man on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM

Firstly, the particular Vuln weapon you are using,
is not a very high damage output weapon.

He is in the mists, so he is probably well trained.

You are using a sword, which is parried easily.

How well do you know his weapon?How well does
he know yours?

There is 'some' level difference in play, but
with different tactics would not have mattered.

He could have seen you coming and used dam redux

Skill Level is not everything, but if hes in the 90's
and your in the 70's, Obviously he's better. It's
just practical.

HitRoll, DamRoll, what's yours, what's his?

He is hitting you a lot harder than you are him, so
his is probably better than yours.

blinding/poisoning like I have said on the other board
probably would have dropped it a bit so you could
put up a fight, but staying for a fight you cant win isnt smart.
38261, I'm not convinced I couldn't win that fight.
But I didn't, and you consistantly made fallacious assumptions on the other board.

Had you read the log, listened to my input and offered a mature reply, your remarks could have held some weight.

But, what seems to be missing from your equation is that I never once blamed my loss on anyone, nor did I claim my tactics were uberlicious.

I posted what I thought was a good Lowbie fight. As I was forced to go through it over and over again in order to site your erroneous comments, I began to wonder, why indeed, I wasn't landing any blows.

Even your comments here are possessed of bad info. I've killed people with academy swords, Using only Dirt, disarm and trip before.

Only once granted, but it's given me the confidence I need to take on all commers at the low ranks.

What's more is I've had fights turn for and against me in the last moments. Thus I tend to reain until my HP is around 25% even if they are in decent shape.

That's my MO. Deal with it.

You posted a lot of replys on that board everyone having bad information.

Valg Posted one and, even though it wasn't asked for, gave me more to run with in one scentence than you did.

Later
38263, Try to grasp that were were outplayed Simple as that nt
Posted by RogueDude on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
nt
38266, Here is some help for you.
And then I will make an honest effort never to contribute to any of your threads again.

You are taking the thread away from what it is asking. You did the same thing on Dio's. You are so wrapped up in yourself you are completely and totaly missing the point.

You blindness was so complete that you misread the post several times, and even the last line you posted showed you still misunderstood everything that came your way.

I realize you think I'm the one who isn't 'Getting it' but I assure you I am.

You absolutely 100% honestly are wrong in your assumptions, assesments and characterizations. In no way are you accurate in what you thought I was asking or what I was implying.

This will be our last interaction.
38271, Promise?
Posted by Rogueman on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
See you in the fields