Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subject(DELETED) [FORTRESS] Hykroln the Field Marshall
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=25151
25151, (DELETED) [FORTRESS] Hykroln the Field Marshall
Posted by Death_Angel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Mon Mar 1 20:08:41 2004

At 12 o'clock PM, Day of Deception, 9th of the Month of the Spring
on the Theran calendar Hykroln perished, never to return.

Race:storm
Class:warrior
Level:49
Alignment:Good
Ethos:Chaotic
Cabal:FORTRESS, the Fortress of Light
Hours:207

25153, I had a lot of fun.
Posted by Dindon on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Well I deleted for a couple reasons, the main being I played him way too much. I go to university and have an exam tomorrow morning and what did I do today? Play Carrion for 7 hours. There's also the fact that I was really starting to get my ass kicked with Hykroln. Nonetheless,I had so much fun with him, especially when he was a bit younger. I'm pretty new to the game as most who knew me well probably figured out, my only other character near hero range was Silmareen, a little felar warrior.

Anyway, Hykroln did well when he was young but I don't know enough about the game or pking and I don't know the map well enough to be a force for the Fort. For some reason I thought at the start i'd be made Maran but I soon realised that I wasn't really good enough at the game for immteraction or getting promoted etc. I bet if I play another character I could maybe get some of those things. I learned quite a bit.

Well there's a few people I want to thank.

Jaegrudai: This was my first character in a cabal obviously and I really appreciated you helping me along my interview where I clearly had no idea what I was doing. I liked it when you would give me the pep talks, I felt like a real soldier and you were my captain getting me ready to go to war. It was great.

Brulig: You were Hyk's best friend...it was hilarious when you would write me those scrolls helping me out and giving me tips. The one where you told me to bash the bard had me laughing for a long time after. You are well played and I could always count on you. Thanks again.

Dwarf Paladins! I loved the dwarf talk on the cabal channel and my character started talking a bit like a dwarf after a while too. You guys rubbed off on the old giant.

All other Fort members : Was fun running with all of you, some I think need to take more chances and die more like Hykroln. Regearing is a bitch but if I play for more than a half hour without a fight where someone almost died I get antzy. Acolytes especially, though it's in your role to be kind of gay. jk. I had 10 con when I deleted, if it wasn't for real life I would've con died him with ease! hehe.

Enemies : I enjoyed every fight, sorry if I ganged a few times but Hyk had nothing against it and I sure got ganked my fair share too. Some enemies I had no chance against because of my ineptitude. Grottimgesh owned me, Jinroh and Njaal too and there were a few others that I wouldn't even try to fight by myself because it would've been pointless (Kwalin comes to mind, was fun when me and Brulig were after you for that long while).

Anyway this is a long post for just a little storm warrior so i'll stop. Oh and thanks to Pombe and Qirinor and Sastine for helping me rank up. It makes the boring part of the game fun when you're with cool characters like that.
This is a great game because there are so many unique things about it. You can go to the inn for a drink or you can go get your head bashed in. It's great.
If someone posts i'll reply if I ever get any studying done.
25160, That's too bad
Posted by Glaubie on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You seemed to do a pretty good job from what I saw, and you'd definitely make maran someday.. Altough some things I'd have done differently, other things I'd just say 'Niiice' :). Anyway, it was nice to have you alongside. I'll see you around..

Glaubarsto
25163, RE: That's too bad
I liked your mindset, and sometimes the Fort channel can get too dreary and boring but you always kept things interesting when you were on. If anyone has any suggestions about things I should've done different feel free to share.
25161, fun fights nt
Posted by Thorogarn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
nt
25164, RE: fun fights nt
I didn't understand your role completely but I knew you'd jump me the second I went in the past so I was always waiting for it. The last two of our fights were close and fun.
25169, RE: I had a lot of fun.
Posted by Thalric on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Heh, I can agree with it being a bitch to die, that's why I'm practising not to do it ;). And believe me, I want to get into the thick at times as well (raiding comes to mind) but orders are orders and they are followed.

From what I saw of Hykroln, he was on the right track and it does seem you enjoyed playing him as well, which is something that tends to show through.

Good luck with the next and all that. Toots.

Thalric
25176, RE: I had a lot of fun.
Thanks, I remembered your character from playing Silmareen? We had Miaree as a mutual friend. You were fun to be with and when I saw you in the fort I had hoped to go exploring with you sometime. That's probably my main regret, I never got the chance to learn any new areas because I was always fighting.
Good luck
25170, you sell yourself short
Posted by Baendra on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You sell yourself short in my opinion. I didn’t see everything about you, but what I did see seemed to be ideal for a maran. Although I never saw you commit a crime myself, from what you told me you were willing to do it in your efforts to achieve the maran goals and that was how you’d ended up being a criminal in the first place, which I thought reflected well on you. You were one of the few who accepted that breaking the law had its consequences but did it anyway, and didn’t whine when it came back to bite you in the ass.

I was left with a good impression of you after our first encounter (or was it you I met in the sewers once, in which case it was our second encounter?). You took it on the chin whilst one of your two groupmates complained that I’d full-looted (in fact I was killed by Tzcharch and his nightgaunt before I could make off with any loot and lost half my own gear in the process) and the other complained that I’d flagged him illegally for waking you and then attacking me whilst you ran off to die somewhere else. It wasn’t for nothing that I’d started spelling you up without attempting to sleep your groupmates first. I assumed that they wouldn’t be rash enough to interfere.

As far as ganking goes, there is nothing that I know of that says a maran shouldn’t gank. I mocked you for it a little in game, even though you didn’t gang me because I worded as you walked in, but actually I don’t have a problem with it. If someone walks up to your group at the gates to the fortress and attacks one of you, I don’t blame you for walking back in and attempting to gang them. I’d do the same myself in your place. Same goes for whoever herbed you and tried to keep summoning you away from me.

If you wondered why I hunted you more than lightwalkers in general, it was because of your criminal past. ooc, I liked you.
25174, RE: you sell yourself short
We did meet in the sewers when we were younger;it was smart of you to get out of that one. The second I saw you in there I stopped moving and started spamming bash baendra a hundred times per second. After that I knew you'd be trying to get me back and you certainly did. The melee on eastern road was a bit wild and a bunch of people died, but i remember another time you sleeping me and spelling me up outside the fort and me dying to it after I teleported blind and all. I thought it was classy that even though you found my corpse before I did you didn't full loot as I wasn't a criminal at the time. From then on if you were in town with your guards I kept clear, and I never saw you in a good situation for me after that. Anyway, thanks for replying and good luck.
25172, A few comments
Posted by Drokk on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
We didn't get to interact that much, but I enjoyed our last
encounter ;-) I am glad I got even. As far as I remember you killed
me with some mage once. I am learning the ropes myself, so this is
just a suggestion: When we fought at the watcher, I think you
would have been better off with trying to eyejab me instead of
entwining right away. It is such a nuisance to be blind and
eyejab lasts longer than dirtkicking. I wouldn't have been able to
start hitting you instead of the watcher, picking up my disarmed
weapon, etc. And if I fled, you would have more time to heal at the
healer.

As for getting your ass kicked all the time...yeah, hero range is
incredibly hard, but also in some ways it is easier to survive.
I died all the time when I was midrange. And most of the time
I would just sit there and wonder what happened. At hero range, you
sometimes have time to think: This is bad, perhaps I should get out of here.

Try to analyse your fights. Both when you win and when you lose.
What did the enemy do, what did you do. What could you have done
differently before and in the fight. Was there a turning moment in
the fight. Did it matter who initiated the fight and so on.

Deleting because of time issues seems a perfectly reasonable
thing to do. I am surprised how much fun and how addictive this
this game is.
I think the beauty of it is that people offer interesting encounters
(i.e. roleplaying) and on top of that there is some complex tactical games (i.e. playerkilling).

Good luck with your studies.
25175, RE: A few comments
I'm glad you enjoyed our fight! I sure didn't. Hehe. Well I did except that I knew I had no chance the whole time. You boneshattered and I couldn't wield two swords because I was ill equipped and then you attacked the watcher and I thought that a squire wouldn't care if he had two swords in his hands so I threw on a sword and a flail and went back after you. Then you impaled and I couldn't even wield one sword...I was pretty frustrated. So then I just took my death at the watcher with a couple flails in my hand. Thought i'd entwine you at the watcher hoping you'd at least get scared by taking some damage but I missed and ate another death. It was all well done on your part.. As for the hero range, well in low to mid range I would bet I killed more than got killled, whereas towards the end I think there were point where I died eight, nine times in a row in fights before i'd actually take someone out in a one on one fight. Hero range pk is a lot funner though and involves a lot more strategy and I learned quite a bit.
Good luck.
25178, Stop smokin' that stuff you were cool hands down..
Posted by Bajula on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
The change from sil (who rocked btw- much fun to be around which seems to be pretty important imho for a great character.)
to hyk was an exponential increase. knowing now that you were sil makes it even better that you hung out with me while i died. :) thanks. for a first caballed char from what i could tell you were very much what you were supposed to be, I'd have never figured you for not having been in fort before .. I look forward to seeing your next, when real life slows down and you get the itch again.
and you will.. trust me.

hyk again was fun to interact with (though i didn't do it a whole lot the few were enjoyabe)
don't sweat dying all the time, just think to yourself, well i live through alot more fights than that dumbass bajula. :)

-Lerrik.
25182, RE: Stop smokin' that stuff you were cool hands down..
Thanks, and it was great that I got to spend Lerrik's last few hours with him. It was hard to stay in Hykroln's role and not fall back into Sil's when I was with you. Anyway i'm sure Hykroln and Lerrik would've been great friends had you been able to stick around.
I already have the itch to play this game again but maybe i'll try something different, a non warrior.
25180, RE: I had a lot of fun.
Posted by Betraal on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I enjoyed our fights plenty. Each one helped me work on tactics, etc. Hopefully they helped you too.

I was hoping you'd make full fledged Maran so that I could see the difference betwen a pre and post maran warrior. There are a few Maran skills that just make being a duergar a bit more painful...
25183, RE: I had a lot of fun.
So did I, as squire you don't have much, not that i'm complaining I think it should be that way. But from what I saw marans have a couple sweet powers that I would've loved to try. As for our fights, they were fun and pretty close. I finally got the two light swords that I intended to wield (drowning and wrath)against you and got a ton of plus strength gear and I thought I would finally get you but then I died like 5 times in two hours and it was back to dropping my weapons after artery, hurl.
25190, Awww nuts man. *sniff*
Posted by Jaegrudai on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I definatly liked Hykroln a lot. I never once saw you break role, and I saw 100% effort all the time. I thought you did a very nice job, and truthfully you didn't seem THAT newbish to me. I gave you some coaching in your interview, but I give that to everyone. I take what an applicant knows and stretch it, question it, and try to expand it. Part of the test is to see if they have the potential for growth. From out initial interview I actually had you figured for a previous Maran player because you answered my questions about good and evil so well. You also played well taking advice from a gruff Captain.

And if this is only your second near-hero character, you have me beat in spades. My second was an elf paladin trouper who tried desperatly to kill evils. I'm relatively sure he con died, and managed to kill ONE person. So believe me, you are well on your way to being a great CF player. Remain humble, always be willing to learn and never thing you know it all.
25197, RE: Awww nuts man. *sniff*
Thanks for the encouragement, this sounds ridiculous but you can't imagine how nervous I was for my interview. I was more nervous for that interview than I am for my previous real life job interviews...
Something must be wrong with this game...
Thanks again.
25191, Left me out!?!?!
Posted by Dohni on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You were the man when we first met.... and I finally got the sense you were a bit new... but even still impressive to say the least. You were always there and I could totally count on you. Can't believe you left me out! I'm glad you learned gear ain't everything. A complete loss for the fort and the game ... I hope you roll again I'd like to bump into you again... When dohni's gone I'd like you to email me if you could! Oh yeah YARRRR!!!! Good luck with the next if there is one =)
25198, RE: Left me out!?!?!
Dohni!!!!! How I could forget you I don't know. I remember when I was level 15 and you were level 10 and we went and tore things up at the Ruined Keep. You were incredibly odd sometimes...but you kept things interesting which I liked and you were always up for getting yourself killed which Hykroln was a fan of. As for rolling up another, well i'm embarrassed to say it but I already have.
I'll surely see you in some form or another!
25192, RE: I had a lot of fun.
Posted by Vorondel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I go to university and have an exam tomorrow morning and what did I do today? Play Carrion for 7 hours.

Ok, now I feel bad for (indirectly) showing this game to you :)

Seriously though, I liked Hykroln and I thought he was a very well-played maran warrior, especially considering your limited CF experience. Like I told you I'm quite impressed at how fast you learned this game. Your character showed dedication and humility, and you as a player definately seemed to enjoy yourself, which is, after all, the point of the game.

As for dying a lot, don't sweat it, pretty much all squire/maran warriors die a lot.

Time to roll a mage or something and explore some? :)

Vor
25199, RE: I had a lot of fun.
Haha, the day I started playing this game was the day my chances at a good GPA went out the door. I knew beforehand that you knew what you were doing but that one time you brought me through that explore area as quickly as if you were spamming east a hundred times on eastern road gave me the idea of the extent of your CF knowledge.
My main regret is you didn't get to show me any other sweet places. Maybe my next character....