Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subject(DELETED) [FORTRESS] Aemelius the Weaponsmaster, Marshall of the Fortress
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=19027
19027, (DELETED) [FORTRESS] Aemelius the Weaponsmaster, Marshall of the Fortress
Posted by Death_Angel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Fri Jul 11 21:42:03 2003
At 4 o'clock AM, Day of the Great Gods, 5th of the Month of the Old Forces
on the Theran calendar Aemelius perished, never to return.
Race:storm
Class:warrior
Level:51
Alignment:Good
Ethos:Chaotic
Cabal:FORTRESS, the Fortress of Light
Hours:401
PK Ratio:83% (closer to 100% is better)
20161, Now that you posted on Dio, are you going to finally post here? n/t
Posted by Minyar on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
n/t
19143, Farewell, Marshall
Posted by Sylvrin on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Sylvrin was a strong supporter of Aemelius as the Marshall. She appreciated his leadership in the way that he would rally the troops and lift their morale. That note you sent to Fortress reaffirming your faith and dedication to the cause was really very inspring. It actually kept me from deleting after a particularly bad day. Aemelius was also a beast when it came to dishing out damage, and I felt pretty safe when I was with him.

On the other hand, as a player, I'm kind of annoyed that you didn't stick it out as you pledeged to. And I completely agree with everything Shokai said. There were also times that you would say things to Sylvrin (not going into detail here, because she is still living) that would just make me shake my head and say to myself "does he have ANY CLUE what my role is?".

Anyway, good job for the most part.
Good Luck with your next.

19149, about that note
Posted by Daurwyn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I actually found that note pretty sickening.

It smacked to me of Aemelius blowing his own trumpet, and then when he promptly deleted instead of living up to it, I felt my suspicions were probably right.

I guess it might have been a good thing if you found it inspiring, but to me it seemed like a bit of high drama that wasn't backed up by action.

I can't remember which bard posted it. If it was you, I didn't think it reflected badly on you. Just the person making the big deal of what should be the norm.
19156, Agreed, and....
Posted by Cartherlen on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
In general, in relation to what Sylvrin said regarding Aemelius not having a clue about his/her role...The character seemed to not give two ####s about anything but himself, and even then his interactions with others seemed more or less like he was covering his own ass (to maintain his position in the fortress).
19130, RE: (DELETED) [FORTRESS] Aemelius the Weaponsmaster, Ma...
Posted by Faeras. on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I enjoyed your presence in CF much more once we agreed (?) to stop speaking to one another. I saved our last conversation because to this day I do not understand how we de-evolved into a couple of five year old children spamming one another. I gave you the benefit of the doubt, however, because I respect Shokai and I was certain that he would not have tatoo'd you and made you Marshall unless he felt your Roleplay was deserving.

In any case, goodnight.
19095, RE: (DELETED) [FORTRESS] Aemelius the Weaponsmaster, Marshall of the Fortress
Posted by Fahnrore on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Don't know what the hell happened to ya??? You were awesome when you were coming up. Complete BEAST!!! Even when you go inducted into the Brigade, you were still a BEAST!!! But then when I saw you as Marshall, things definitely were different. Either I didn't notice it as Fahnrore or you changed with Gahorus. Hope you weren't playing drunk...Good luck on your next.
19071, They obviously didn't help
Posted by Wilhath on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I've got logs of raids and retrieval attempts that involved the Fortress that just make me scratch my head in dismay. It is as if there is no discussion beforehand about what is about to happen.
19069, RE: (DELETED) [FORTRESS] Aemelius the Weaponsmaster, Marshall of the Fortress
Posted by Sarkarian on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Much like Anlon's remarks, you were loved and hated. I followed you into numerous battles, naked or ungeared. I left my corpses in your wake and attacked without auras and such, while you always had yours. You would take the Sceptre or Codex while the Squire/Scribe or Squires/Scribes were left to defend against the horde who would seek to reclaim their item. It became little fun to watch you raid, and leave myself and others to try on hold the item against extremely poor odds. If you cannot hold an item, is it worth the young ones dying trying to hold it?

I often find good in folks or make up some good and attribute it to them should they be lacking. In your case, you were good, but it seemed like you cared little for the others of the Fortress or their well-being. You sought reaffirmation of faith and dedication from us all and were given quite a mandate. Then you left.

You could kill. I enjoyed the quiet times when you would speak, not lecture or instruct...even more, I would have enjoyed you listening to the quietness of our resolve and that at times even a Marshall can break the spirit of the Fortress.

You were good, you could have been great.

I wish you all the best and keep the magic and wonder in your heart.

Sarkarian
19070, The meetings....oh god the tactic meetings!!!
Posted by Lightmaged on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
heh. Remember those pep-talk training sessions when tactics were discussed? Not sure if you witnessed them first hand.

Ok children, when preparing for a raid, one must first check who one can harm....strategize what type of weapon you must wear. WHat items can we use to prepare better for this upcoming saga? Blah blah blah

**Oshu's head hurts from long talkings and ramblings.**

19090, Oh yes
Posted by Sarkarian on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I remember you got "scolded" for doing other things. You generally seemed mightily annoyed at the whole situation.

I kind of took them in stride, figuring maybe there was a bit I could glean from them, since my ability to die is more renowned than my ability to kill (someone other than myself).
19064, RE: (DELETED) [FORTRESS] Aemelius the Weaponsmaster, Marshall of the Fortress
Posted by Beast on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
How I hated you...and not for the fights, they were fun. But as many had said, you just weren't what I expected as a Commander. Whining a lot (about my power of all things), complaining that I was a lucky "bitch" when I landed the disembowel and how you weren't prepared (we started with you probably at 85%), and then the lowest of lowest I have EVER seen of any Maran.

I walked into a death trap, and I'm waiting in Hamsah for my things and you chase me around with yes, count it, 5 people. I eventually say screw it because you're SITTING AT THE PIT instead of chasing me around and I knew I wouldn't get my things, so I ran in and died. Then we all sat at the urn as you spammed to steal my things and we get this:
========================================================
Gahorus, Lariya, Avalene, Azahadon, Aemelius and Vorondel all chased me around Hamsah while I waited for my pit, then finally they killed me at the altar...naked.

Then I get this, the next hour after I died as he's spamming to steal my stuff.

<85/782hp 81/370m 697/697mv 21518tnl> get all urn
You see nothing in the urn.

get all urn

You get 39 silver coins from the donation urns.
You get 9 gold coins from the donation urns.
You get a notched axe with a wicked blade from the donation urns.
You get the Battle Axe of Rah from the donation urns.
You get an opal charm shaped as a five-pointed star from the donation urns.
You get a monk's robe from the donation urns.
You get the girdle of endless space from the donation urns.
You get a pair of steel lined dragonscale boots from the donation urns.
You get an unholy axe, 'Nightbringer' from the donation urns.
You get an unholy axe, 'Nightbringer' from the donation urns.
You get a ring set with a single ruby from the donation urns.
You get a ring set with a single ruby from the donation urns.
You get a colorful cloak covered with patches from the donation urns.
You get a girth of lobster plates from the donation urns.
You get a breastplate of lobster plates from the donation urns.
You get plate leggings decorated with red enamel from the donation urns.
You get a twin-edge battle axe called 'Arctic Fury' from the donation urns.
You get a cloak made of a felar hide from the donation urns.
You get plate vambraces decorated with red enamel from the donation urns.
You get a battle helm made of a mammoth's skull from the donation urns.
You get a Talisman of Strength from the donation urns.

Aemelius gets something from the donation urns. (bifrost)
Aemelius gets something from the donation urns. (bifrost)

<85/782hp 81/370m 697/697mv 21518tnl> You see nothing in the urn.

<85/782hp 81/370m 697/697mv 21518tnl> in

<85/782hp 81/370m 697/697mv 21518tnl> wear all

<85/782hp 81/370m 697/697mv 21518tnl> Aemelius snorts.

Lariya tells you 'He chooses his own tactics, and while they might not be the same ones I'd do, I respect him.'
Avalene tells you 'I can't say I'm agreein with his methods either Scarab.'
========================================================

I was very tempted to post this earlier, but it would be character assassination. Well anyways, I hope you had fun. Next time, you need to chill out and just take some things in stride. Hope you enjoyed our fights, I sure did:

<493/822hp 370/370m 359/697mv 21613tnl>
Aemelius attempts to shatter your weapon, but it holds firm.
Aemelius is gushing blood.

<493/822hp 370/370m 359/697mv 21613tnl>
Aemelius's searing light misses you.
You parry Aemelius's searing light.
Aemelius's searing light MANGLES you!
Your wrath maims Aemelius!
Your frigid chop misses Aemelius.
Your frigid chop MUTILATES Aemelius!
Your wrath devastates Aemelius!
Aemelius is writhing in agony.

<405/822hp 370/370m 359/697mv 21613tnl> disembowel
You attempt a sweeping gut shot!
You +++DISEMBOWEL+++ Aemelius!
Aemelius is DEAD!
A searing bolt of silver lightning blazes from Aemelius's tattoo!
You hear Aemelius's death cry.

Garguza

19054, My Thoughts
Posted by Beroxxus on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
First of all, my feelings about Aemelius are similiar to Shokai's. There were a lot of things you did well and a lot you did bad.

The good things, you were consitent in your Roleplay (at least from when I watched you). You played the slay evil tag well and did pretty good as leader most of the times. There were a few times you stuck out in the bad spots.

The bad things involve you roleplaying be mix of OOC and IC sometimes. Like for Azuranda having god powers. First of all, mobs in CF history controlled by Immortals have powers a lot of times players don't. One is leaving a fight. In my years of playing, immortal and mortal, I have seen this occur many times. Second, I felt you more of a neutral character with good tendancies. I find it damn hard to believe that a good aligned character could care less if countless children are slain or that his cabalmates and friends suffer because his pride is to great to simply apologize. Also when you talked crap to Kastellyn, you are lucky he just didn't whip you arse.

As far as almost killing Azuranda, my goal is never to slay people. I could do that with ease. If you recall, she never killed a person in all our interactions? Why? Was she unable or because I didn't feel like being a ####. It wasn't until you finally pissed her off did she start being aggressive. Also bitching about how she got into the Fortress. Live with it. Would you rather me slay the Maran Tar'Bal, which could be done like any other player which in turn would totally screw up some of the attack/raid situations. I didn't want that, so I took the next alternative.

All in all, you did well. Just get over the whinning and accept things as they are and I think you will find yourself a better roleplayer for it. Good luck with your next.
19052, Har.
Posted by Birkota on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I owned your whiny ass up, down, sideways, and all over the place. When you decided to talk smack like an incessant bully, I decided to put you in your place. It was fun. Everyone had a great time seeing you put down like a bad rebellion. Icing on the cake was you ganking me like the #### you are and always have been. You're a piece of #### person, and it's plainly evident that you were too fat to play competitive sports as a kid.

You made my character fun.
19049, Well...
Posted by Grik on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Competent player, but a real asshole any way you look at it. The best example I can think of why I didn't like this character was my induction, in which you spoke both condescendingly and expressed your disbelief that a lightwalking player had never committed any horrid crimes against humanity (dwarfanity?).

Regardless, you did damn well as a maran, and certainly set an example of how a maran should go about killing evil. I don't give two ####s whether it was alone or with a hoard of goodies at your back, as there's always going to be variations of that, for better or worse. I thought you stuck it to evil pretty well, and for that my character was forced to respect and admire that ability. Well done, and best of luck with your next.

Grikletun
19047, Tale of Two Characters
Posted by Wilhath on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
With Wilhath I saw more of the good. Every time you logged on I said "Ahh f**k me. I'll just drop my s**t at the Vanquisher and go start regearing." Two people made me say that and you were one of them. Maybe it's the specs or legacies, but you always whipped my ass. Towards the end of Wilhath though I started seeing things differently. When it was Aemelius and his axe he was nowhere to be found, but when it was Aemelius and 40 goodies he was leading the charge.

Then with my current character I saw more of the bad side. The gangbanging and loving it and then getting gangbanged and deleting. Like Shokai said, that strikes me as whiney and childlike.

Anyway, roll something I don't have to fight. A Herald or something.
19040, RE: (DELETED) [FORTRESS] Aemelius the Weaponsmaster, Marshall of the Fortress
Posted by Xehlaell on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
No biggie guy. After that last death to me I sat there thinking uhh... He died to a healer. Then you promptly deleted. Can't say I ever had a single interaction with you other than you trying to kill me.

19039, RE: (DELETED) [FORTRESS] Aemelius the Weaponsmaster, Marshall of the Fortress
Posted by Maz on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Well damn, what to say. I think Shokai's post was dead on the money even if a bit on the nice side. Ok so what you did right. You picked the right specs, right race, right cabal for your char. You were bad, straight up. Everytime I saw you on with my last char I was like oh #### here comes the annoying truck. You went through your pk like a fat jew goes through a case of toilet paper. Straight up beast yo!

Flip side of this is the fact that you were the most annoying character I have interacted with. Watching you trash talk naked warriors was hilarious. Watching you do half the #### you do is straight up hilarious. You were large and incharge when you had backup but the minute you died and lost your eq or things started loooking rough. You go delete only to come back again. Be a decisive fool if you mean to delete, fookin delete. You talked so much trash bitchy whiny trash. Ofcourse a healer would run from a warrior. But that never stopped you from talking smack to feel good about yourself. I think the shining star in your characters life was watching you interact with Beroxxus's priestess. You were talking to an immortal in a role play angle but just looking at you talk. Calling the mob names and #### was hilarious. Best yet you whining about the imm transfering the mob out when it was hurt and how it was "CHEATING"! HAHAHAHAHAHAH. I swear get yourself a guide to roleplaying, try and rp something other than your typical char. with your next char check your condescending attitude and the stick up your ass at the door. Maybe that way people won't be able to point you out from a mile away. Let the anger go man, I did. And I get a lot more fun out of the game for it. PS let the whiney bitch routine go too. Its not becoming for someone as experienced as you are.

Much Love

Parv
19037, well, s'pose I'll get the ball rolling.
Posted by shokai on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM

Where to begin? There is so much good and bad to be said about Aemelius it's hard to know where to start and where to end, however, I'll endeavor to say what I want to say without rambling too much.

First the good:

Aemelius was a beast, flat and simple, regardless of how you felt about the player or the character there was no denying that dishing out damage was a strong point. Early on I dug the character, anyone who comes to you before level 10 and pledges to follow your path without wavering...and then does, causes a lot of admiration. I watched you hack, hew, and plow through enemies with a style that was pretty much hard-ass Maran all the way. No mercy. No quarter. Just lift the axe and cleave anything with a taint in half, let Shok sort'm out. As a leader I saw you do a lot of things that I thought spoke highly of you, you pushed squires to learn how to fight...and pushed people to share how to fight. Exactly what I asked you to do when I made you Marshall. All in all a job very well done. I think in a lot of ways you were an ideal Maran.

Now the other side:

You are one hell of a whiney bastard at times. I looked for a nicer way to say that, but decided there was no reason to mince words. For everything amazing I saw you did, there was some other side of it that made me shake my head. Attempting to abuse mantle was one of the first things I'll point out (why in the hell would a good mage set a Maran on fire?!?!)...and it was something of a steady trend from there. Using Acolytes as hunting bait. Ordering huge groups to kill anything evil that moved. Etc, etc, etc. It could be attributed to being a hardass Maran, and that was how I chose to deal with it IC...but the other side of being a Maran is not to let the 'joy of fighting' overwhelm you. I also was highly uncertain what the hell you wanted from me as an imm. If thre is anyone out there who follows me and expects immteraction...they haven't been paying attention. When I had time, and our times crossed, I did try to talk to you...sometimes I was able, sometimes I wasn't. You probably recieved more immteraction out of me than most of my followers (perhaps Ulthur and Balrahd aside). There also seems to be a sort of 'bully' mentality that came out at times. I'd see you gang down someone and beat them senseless and then a few weeks later, I'd see you rage delete when it happened to you. Do unto others man, do unto others. As for the leadership side of the coin, when you first asked me 'yeah but who's got more power?" in reference to the council set-up, it was almost a preface to how some of your leadering would go down. I don't know if you meant to, but a lot of things you did came off as very condescending and power-hungry. There were times I watched you make sweeping decisions on the fly without even pondering how the rest of the council would feel about it....now I grant you, you were well within your right to do so. I just would've liked a leader who played a little better with others.

Loved or hated, Aemelius will be rememebred. There was a lot of good in the character. There was some bad too. I think it's important to remember that you were not only a beast, but a beast with Shokai's mark and the second Marshall of the Fortress. If you can ever get rid of some of the baggage I think you're still carrying, you've got the potential to be an outstanding player. Some of that baggage though, it's heavy, and the sooner you start trying to drop it the better.

Peace chief.
19127, For argument's sake
Posted by Valkenar on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>Attempting to abuse mantle was one of the first things I'll point out
>(why in the hell would a good mage set a Maran on fire?!?!)

I'm not trying to excuse bug abuse, but to me what you're asking comes down to a question of what characters understand about what's going on. Does a Maran recognize the effect of mantle? Or do you expect them to feign ignorance, and have the character not notice the effect of it?

Because if they notice a positive effect then it seems reasonable, in character, that they would ask their goodie mage friend to do it on purpose.

So the answer to "why in the hell would a good mage set a maran on fire" is "because he thinks it will help the Maran, because he's been asked to by that Maran"

The rame reason a goodie might attack another goodie who is slept/blackjacked. Or do you think this shouldn't happen either?

Obviously it's a game balance thing, and that's fine. But from the character's point of view, it seems reasonable to take that action. I feel the same way about bouncing geysers off shielded guardians, incidentally.
19157, To save Shokai some time...
Posted by Cartherlen on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
There aren't any spoons to feed from on this forum. Learn about the Maran in character, and you'll realize just how wrong the whole idea of both a goodie casting spells at a maran, or a maran attacking a groupmate to wake them up actually is.
20167, missed this question the first time...
Posted by shokai on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM

It basically comes down to a fine line between player and character. In a perfect world we'd all be able to ignore OOC knowledge and just play as characters, but in reality I know that can't happen. Keep in mind as you read the rest of this post I'm not asking for the impossible, just a little better understanding of the IC OOC divide.

Because if they notice a positive effect then it seems reasonable, in character, that they would ask their goodie mage friend to do it on purpose.

Imagine this line:

"Hey Bob, I just bought a new kevlar vest...supposed to be bulletproof, why don't you take this magnum and fire a round or two at me to test it"

Now, has this happened in real life? Sadly, I'm sure somewhere it has...and once the guy got out of the hospital, I'm pretty sure he went on to do more acts of stupidity. The point is CF mages do not cast practice spells and cantrips...they cast spells intended to do severe damage and ultimately death. Hell, for all I know I could be bulletproof...but I'm not going to let someone shoot me to find out. Another example, if a necromancer who was something of an ally of yours handed you a potion and said 'it'll make you impervious to the effects of power word kill'...would you let them attempt a pwk on you after you had downed the potion? Chances are, you wouldn't.

So the answer to "why in the hell would a good mage set a maran on fire" is "because he thinks it will help the Maran, because he's been asked to by that Maran"

Which in a very interesting way, violates one of the tennants of being a Maran, or at least the Maran philosophy. Just as none of us are going to let our buddies test our new kevlar vest with a 44 slug, as far as I can rationalize..no Maran is going to let anyone set them on fire to see if it burns or not. There's a lot of very finely detailed reasons I could go into, but as it was pointed out, I'm really not in the habit of spoonfeeding Maran philosophy.

The rame reason a goodie might attack another goodie who is slept/blackjacked. Or do you think this shouldn't happen either?

I have to admit, tehre's a lot of IC vs mechanics issues that my opinion and popular opinion differ on. The one you mentioned above is one of those.

Obviously it's a game balance thing, and that's fine. But from the character's point of view, it seems reasonable to take that action. I feel the same way about bouncing geysers off shielded guardians, incidentally.

To use game mechanics against you on this one, if we wanted there to be practice spells and (pardon the pun) friendly fire on CF...there would be a way to toggle autoattack. In this case, I garuntee you Aemelius attacked the invoker in question. So to put an IC spin on the mechanics that happened: hostile action begets hostile action. Invoker set Aemelius on fire, Aemelius lashed back out at the invoker. I could say a lot more about this, but I've got to run....if there are more questions feel free to ask.
19031, 401 hours...
Posted by Lightmaged on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
A long time...

Interacted with you with Oshubacyl. You seemed to know what you were doing most of the time. Well roleplayed charactor and you did like to fight despite what your detractors have been saying about you. I found it tough to roleplay a dumbass felar slave-mind-set and not start giving advice at times.

Few things that I didnt like.....Didnt enjoy your 'teaching' sessions when you would ramble on about tactics....but was trying to roleplay a subservient felar so I put up with it when I should have just not logged on during them. They were too long and dry. I felt bad for the rest of the squires who all had to sit around looking interested for the 2-3 hours of rambling....I didnt like when you would challenge an enemy to a duel (Ill use the Faeras example). An enemy who was 6-7 ranks lower, poorly equiped from being ganged and killed non-stop. No-####, he doesnt come fight a stacked charactor with major advantages in a no-win situation...but to write some stupid letters to all the land.....kinda weak. I didnt like when I would offer to regear or help you after you had died, only to have you sulk and pout after loosing your gear.....I was just trying to be nice...seriously....

**Oh and I shouldnt have killed Ghuljun. Poor game-man-ship on my part. Looking back on it, he was surely have mind-problems when he didnt word after fleeing my first attack. I think he was Awol mid way through that.

Anyhow...its just a game. Try to have fun. Usually when someone is offering aid ,its genuine.
19030, Damned
Posted by Anlon on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Well, I was of two minds about you. My character loved and admired you. He was young and brash, and you were the older, more cautious elder who would c ome by from time to time and give him a pat on the back and say "Good job out there" and really made Anlon feel good about the work he did in the Fortress.

Then my OOC self saw a lot of the things you did and said and thought "Wow what a ####".

All in all I mostly enjoyed our interactions, and thought you were a good strong character. Good luck ont he next.