Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subject(DEL) Kaladar the Complete Weeny
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=18391
18391, (DEL) Kaladar the Complete Weeny
Posted by Isildur on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Yeah, I suck. Figured if I had some grand plan for a character I might be less likely to spaz when I died. Didn't work out that way. The thought was to power to hero as an evil ranger, ally myself with the Empire (had a role-play angle), then make all the good-aligned heros paranoid. Figured Empire would love to have someone with acute vision in bed with them. Ironically, it was an evil group w/ two Imperials that ganged me. Har Har.

Karak- Keep on truckin'.

Thoughts on rangers...

1. Wildnerness familiarity is sick. I'd forgotten how ridiculous it really is.

2. It was nice to play a class where I actually *appreciate* the Underdark changes.

3. Decent one-handed axes are hard to find (& obtain) for evils. At least compared to goods.

4. The different ambush types never really did it for me. Yeah, they're supposed to add tactics, but they felt like unneccessary complication. Plus the syntax is irritating for making aliases. "ambush {type}+ {target}" would be so much nicer.

5. Creeping is a pain in the butt. Yeah, I know it's powerful, but I found myself wishing rangers got some sort of forest-sneak instead. That doesn't seem so terribly overpowered.

6. There are so many scenarios where a ranger w/ snare could, solo, entirely screw people over. With a gang behind him it would just be silly. Unfortunately I never got to enjoy any of this cheapness. C'est la vie. Knowing me, though, I would probably have fixated on these "no risk to me; other guy dies for sure" scenarios and never done anything else. So maybe it's for the best.

7. My money source finally got nerfed. *sniff* Now I'm a poor SOB like everybody else.

8. For some reason I found dirt kick insanely hard to improve. Think it was at 76% when I deleted. No idea why. Made me realize how much I miss blindness dust. Dirt/disarm just isn't the same.
18493, Yar!
Posted by Karak on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I was so disappointed reading this deletion. I was hoping to exploit wilderness familiarity for ranking to hero. Oh well. Had a good time ranking up all those levels with you. If it's any consolation, you didn't seem the weeny around me.

On the odd note, my dirt kick improves a lot. It was ~98% when you deleted and has since perfected itself. I never really had to work on it, either...yay 15 int.
18469, yeah I totally agree with the ambush types. pain to do and no alias capability n/t
Posted by Quid on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
gfd
18446, second that dirt kick observation
Posted by incognito on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
My high int character has dirt kick at 76% and is approaching 200 hours old. And I have tried to work on it. Seems to be much much harder to improve than it once was.