Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subject(DEL) Grunkelstump the Grand Master of Changelings
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=15282
15282, (DEL) Grunkelstump the Grand Master of Changelings
Posted by Death_Angel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Tue Feb 11 19:32:16 2003

6 o''clock PM, Day of the Sun, 27th of the Month of the Long Shadows on the Theran calendar Grunkelstump perished, never to return.

Race:gnome
Class:shapeshifter
Level:51
Alignment:Neutral
Ethos:Orderly
Cabal:NEXUS, Nexus, Seekers of Balance
Hours:111
PK Ratio:21% (closer to 100% is better)

15283, Ummm....right.
Posted by Cartherlen on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I really didn't like this character, at all. I played him because I thought his temperament would amuse the people he interacted with. This was my first shot at nexus, and I honestly didn't really like it. Just too confining for me, and I don't like the allout gangbang ##### that went on far too often.

A few farewells...

Nexus:

Erinphalis: Thanks for giving me a shot, I know I barely passed that interview.

Sokoerker: One of Grunk's only good friends. Had fun gathering and raiding with you.

Kucerael: We had our tiffs, but your company was always welcome and helpful.

Battle:

Rhomelanthos: You were near always in my range, and always got the best of me if the odds weren't in my favor. I enjoyed interacting with you. Your last comment to me stung, because it hit very close to home in my personal views of playing...I just can't take all the time necessary to gather the preps I need to fight someone like you.

Gre: You whipped my ass pretty bad too, on a couple of occaisions. Thanks.

Derdhuin: You were a thorn in Grunk's side, constantly.

Tribunal

Femsilsol: Well, I made it, and owe most of that to you. Thanks a lot for dragging me along when you could easily have gone another direction and left me behind.

Sylvan:

Eclinsan: Sorry we didn't get to have that duel.

Brahaid: I was disappointed that you whined and complained when I attacked, but maybe that's just your character's way.

A few comments on my forms, preps, etc....

Mountain goat, rhino, snow wolf...

Firs three forms, and the wolf was the only one that even remotely served to keep me alive. Low rank forms just suck in general.

First defensive form was the hare. This form was the one form I didn't want, and I got it. I'm glad I did. It kept me alive more than any of my other forms, and I completely underestimated its worth.

Panther: Not bad, but not too good either unless you have barrier up and a load of hp.

Anaconda: One trick pony, good for resting up after fighting in panther form. Unfortunately, on the move, this sucker was slower than my dead grandmother.

Overall, with this as my second shifter to hero, I find the class to be a bit too limiting, so this is probably my last.

Without preps, I could usually stay alive. With preps, I could sometimes manage a kill, even with the lag that came from moving around in my forms. But when it takes a group of 4+ to gather your preps (and thanks to those who helped) it's just a pain. I'm sure there are quite a few other barrier sources out there, beyond the four or so that I know of, but hell if I am going to try to find them with the forms I had.

Long and short of it...

Gather preps, use preps, die to ragers, lose preps. I'd have sacrificed half my con to have a constant barrier source I could attain on my own, regularly, even if I had to work at it for a few minutes. I had this when I played Aristen, but lost it when the preps were moved.

Oh well, back to square one...peace.
15299, RE: Ummm....right.
Posted by Derdhuin on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
"Derdhuin: You were a thorn in Grunk's side, constantly."

Thanks! I think... This is the first time any of my characters have been mentioned as even remotely deathful in a post/note, and I'm not quite sure if that was a compliment or insult, so I'm taking it as a compliment.

That one day when I was pre-rager fighting you in the ruins while you were the snow wolf was great fun. One of my longest fights. Thanks for that.
15300, Take it as a compliment...
Posted by Derdhuin on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I watched you rank up with a couple of my characters, and have noted the changes in your playing style as you become more adapted to how well your character functions, and what means are most effective in given situations. And unfortunately, I couldn't keep you from running when I was the wolf.
15301, As Femsilsol can attest, I smoke way too much pot. nt
Posted by Grunkelstump on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
15298, Aw that's to bad
Posted by Femsilsol on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
No worries on the aid. I had a few of my own that put up with me and got me to Hero, and you deserved the same shot. I could tell right off that you weren't totally pleased by your forms, but at least you gave it a try.

Good luck with your next.
15297, Damn, already?
Posted by Kucerael on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Well, our characters' strong personalities basically clashed at times. It was like hitting two rocks together, and expecting one of them to bend and accomodate the other.

Sorry to see you go, even though we didn't run together much, even when we were on at the same time. I don't think that our styles really complimented each-other very well. I actually did enjoy our 'tiffs,' as you call them.

Catch you later.
15291, RE: Ummm....right.
Posted by Tsyla on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Well, this comes at a poor time seeing as how we're light on mages at the upper levels, at least ones that are around when I am. Anyhow, it was fun knowing you and travelling about what little we did.

Frankly when I heard anaconda/panther I was thinking uh oh... Two great tastes that taste great together they are not unfortunately.

Luck and all that..
15294, Light on mages? Heavy on everything else
Posted by Gre on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Nexites have a huge number of members. Each time I get on I am fighting at least 4 hero level Nexites and one or two non-hero nexites. I don't think Nexites needs more members right now :).
15296, RE: Light on mages? Heavy on everything else
Posted by Tsyla on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
All depends on when you play, I guess.
15295, Plenty of everything....
My playing times are so random that I think at one point or another I have seen every cabal member nexus has, and the size of the list is impressive.

Too many for me to feel comfortable...

My fighting style is not compatable with the nexus concept, as I much prefer running headlong into a fight that I know I'm outmatched, and too often I found myself being backed up by 4-5 others when I had tried to get a fight just to myself.
15292, One thing I noticed
is that you have a hell of a lot more patience than I do, especially when it comes to dealing with other people. You helped me keep my cool on one occaision when I was certain I was going to cross some lines berating someone else for something, and it made a huge difference, for the short duration the character lasted afterwards.
15293, Quit beating around the bush
Posted by Kucerael on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
All three of us know what 'that occasion' was. Don't worry about my feelings getting hurt. sheesh
15289, RE: Ummm....right.
Posted by Punblinpo on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
What can I say? Punblinpo liked Grunkelstump a lot. Sorry about calling you a female that one time. Oops. Heh heh heh. I have to admit, I'm envious of the way Grunkelstump talked. It was hurried and stuck together yet enough spaces so it didn't hurt to try to read. I used to be a big Dragonlance fan.

I'm also sorry about that mess on Eastern that time with the two Ragers. I knew you were out of move, but the lemur (was it Trecie?) ran on ahead of us and got attacked so I had to run ahead of you to try to do something. Man, it was ugly.

Sorry you didn't enjoy the character. See you in the fields.
15290, I owe you some thanks as well...
You helped me rank up when you really could have been doing other things, and even took on Iell at one point to help me rank up. A pity I didn't get to bond with you (nyuck nyuck nyuck) more than was the case, and yes, as usual, you'll see me in the fields.
15287, Bye bye
Posted by Kaavraus on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Didn't see a whole lot of you. Well, we were on at similar times but
were often doing different things (except the occasional village raid)
Pretty right on target about the preps thing. At least I feel that
way. However, I do have to disagree about the mage-heavy thing. I had
thought I'd be a rarity (nexus invoker) but when I ranked up, I
immediately see three others (though only one or maybe two show
regularly).

Ah well, learning how to cut it as an invoker. Maybe a shifter wasnt
your best bet. Hope my shields helped.
15288, Thanks
You were reliable in combat, and yes, the shields helped a great deal.
I don't think nexus is mage heavy, it's pretty even up between the fighting and mage classes. Just too many people...
15286, Well damn.
Posted by Erinphalis on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
What tsyla said was true, we're lacking in the mage department. I really didn't think you had a grasp at first. Then I sent dodged you for like 5 days and sent you to other Seekers until you knew what you sought. You had dedication and I liked it. As for your personality....To be honest....I hated the speech. Drove me nuts =p. Anyhow, good luck with the next,

Erinphalis Kraolin, Lord Elder of Nexus
15285, Was sorry to see you delete...
Posted by Rhomelanthos on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
But I understand you. Anaconda/Panther just is a crappy combo if you want to be a solo killer. You were definitley one of my favorite adversaries, moreso because I got to fight you alone. Pretty interesting to talk to aswell. Good luck with the next one.
15284, RE: Ummm....right.
Posted by BattleCharmed on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I thought as much that would be you. But I totally wasn't sure. Its been a while since ive seen your characters about. I really liked Cartherlen, and I know you liked Sladin, that was a blast, but with Sorehk and Grunkelstump, that was a bit different. I was staying in my role while *breaking* nexus laws. Role is more important then nexus is, and I was just sticking to my guns. Anyhow, message me, or email me or something

AIM: BattleCharmed
MSN: BattleCharmed@hotmail.com

BattleCharmed