Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subject(DELETED) [FORTRESS] Celedyl Dor'lynn the Affirmation of Life, Avowed of Azorinne, Acolyte of the Golden Sun
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=145088
145088, (DELETED) [FORTRESS] Celedyl Dor'lynn the Affirmation of Life, Avowed of Azorinne, Acolyte of the Golden Sun
Posted by Death_Angel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Wed Aug 9 08:08:48 2023

At 11 o'clock PM, Day of the Moon, 14th of the Month of Nature
on the Theran calendar Celedyl perished, never to return.
Race:elf
Class:healer
Level:51
Alignment:Good
Ethos:Neutral
Cabal:FORTRESS, the Fortress of Light
Hours:199
145100, Goodbyes
Posted by FullmoonCat on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I rolled up this character when Mystrillania was at 4 con and close to old age, knowing she would be gone soon and that I had one major character goal left with her that required immortal involvement (clearing up my "kinslayer" flag). So even though I generally do not do alts and don't like splitting my energy with characters, I wanted to continue playing but ration Mystrillania's time a bit. I knew anything I played after such a fun and memorable character would feel a little hollow to me, so I decided it would be a good time to dip my toe into empowerment as well as try out what was historically my favorite CF class, but which everyone now agreed was a waste of time. And then Mystrillania got 3 more con and I ended up splitting time for a lot longer than I had intended.

I actually had a really hard time even writing a role for Celedyl. Part of that is a mental issue I am having medically, but mostly I think it was just that I haven't done an empowered character in 20 years. I wanted a role that was interesting and funneled directly into Azorinne's religion in a way that wasn't completely boring. I'm not sure I achieved it. I am happy with the role I wrote and the character backstory (stylistically), but in the end it was kind of an expanded standard goodie story of overcoming tragic beginnings. Good writing can't save a blah plotline.

I also wanted a character that was a departure from some of my "tells" as a player. Namely, this character was not gregarious or outgoing, struggled to connect with people, and was in general quite formal. I like to play elves, but I always choose to step away from the LOTR high elf ideals. This time, I embraced it fully. Even in Celedyl's humility and kindness, he was elevated and just better than other people. Nobody is as kind as a kindly elf, they are just better than you. I'm not sure how much of that came across, but I tried to be Darsylon formal elvish in everything I did.

But as predicted, I had a hard time connecting to the character. I think splitting my time with him all the way up to hero, and then just having to follow up Mystrillania, in addition to not being as "fun" of a character, meant that he didn't have much of a place in my heart. Also, healers are truly boring to play when there isn't anyone around to support. For my play times, there was rarely any action aside from solo defending the Fortress against Scion and orcs, which a healer is not great at (thanks to nerfing the healing of cabal guardians). I almost deleted this guy multiple times, but wanted to hang in to see if things turned around a bit.

Overall, I wouldn't play another healer. I think the game has moved in a direction that nullifies the need for the class. Many other classes have abilities to heal themselves and sometimes others now, many have protections, veteran players know where all the buffs are that make them not need a healer, etc. Healers are nice to have around, but mostly I'd rather have a bard. And I'd rather play a bard. So without at least a minor revamp to the healer class, I think you can effectively stick a fork in it. I didn't want to believe it, but oh well.

On a positive note, Azorinne was really great to interact with. People have been telling me from day one that I should do a character with Azo faith, and they were not kidding. I hate to pick on Ergush again, but I really dread a religion where you have set steps that everyone does and it's just busy work so you can say you put the person through the standard paces to earn whatever they got. To me, a more personal connection to the religion is necessary for it to feel alive. And that's how I felt Azorinne approached it. I'm sure you get back the energy you put in, but my impression was that I could do another Azorinne follower and have a completely different experience.

I also really enjoyed the other Fortress people I met. Especially Garrick and Lasuira, who were both so wonderful to interact with. They really both felt like real people with hopes and dreams and flaws that were fully thought out. It's pretty refreshing to interact with characters like that. I met a few other Fort folks I thought were going to be amazing as well, but most fizzled out and I never saw them again. Bazz, you seem great, but we rarely got to interact after my induction outside of just running around killing stuff.

A big shout out to Dammil, who was both a good friend to Mystrillania as well as Celedyl. Thanks for spending so much time just talking about nothing in particular and being understanding when I had to rush off for cabal things. Maybe it's just my play times, but you really seem to be completely carrying the Heralds right now. Keep up he great work!