Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subject(AUTO) [SCARAB] Vendel the Invoker of Suffering
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=136373
136373, (AUTO) [SCARAB] Vendel the Invoker of Suffering
Posted by Death_Angel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Tue Feb 26 05:16:26 2019

At 8 o'clock AM, Day of Freedom, 25th of the Month of the Spring
on the Theran calendar Vendel perished, never to return.
Race:dark-elf
Class:anti-paladin
Level:38
Alignment:Evil
Ethos:Chaotic
Cabal:SCARAB, the Cult of the Scarab
Hours:227
136377, Thanks for the good times.
Posted by Vendel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I had a lot of fun with this character and learned a lot about playing a build I haven't done before. Life unfortunately happened and stopped me playing for three weeks, and by the time I could again I'd mostly lost interest given I was struggling to level and hadn't had time to leech into a non limited weapon before having to vanish. I was trying something different with the role too, which didn't really work out in the way I was hoping, but it was interesting anyway.

So, the people. I'll miss a lot probably, but I can safely say I had no bad interactions with anyone on this char. Even the people that aggressively looted me were really classy about it.

Scarabaeus: hugely appreciate the induct. Being caballess for the first 140 hours or so was really painful at points but I really wanted to do a scarab since I love it thematically and enjoy the you vs the world aspect. I really enjoyed our interaction and this was easily the most fun I've had rp wise in any cabal. I also got more pk than anywhere else by a landslide: very surprised Scarab isn't more popular for pk hungry types. Its definitely kind of lonely though, so maybe that is why.

Gerda: thanks for the two barrier rods! Made a huge difference having someone getting me those occasionally. Also for the spear, I was trying to get that for ages.

Cheyerre: great times. Tons of fights, great discussion. It was very much down to the wire.

Ruan: felt bad about our fights. I did eventually come up with an idea I think might have worked vs your build (though very dependent on you making a fairly major mistake), but at the time I had no idea. Dexy scouts were way worse than berserkers for me since I couldn't really conceive of a reliable strategy for them other than sleep spam, which obviously gets frustrating. Might have changed at higher ranks or once I had barrier, but I never got to really find out.

Posatalis: we had some good ones. Fighting warriors was always very dicy since if I over extended at all I'd get murdered. That said, if they over extended vs me the same was true, so these were some of my favourite fights.

Torma: Fun back and forth, and you were the first person to destroy one of my weapons, you fiend. I was more sad about losing the spear itself since I have no idea where its from and it was pretty good. That was definitely the one moment on this char I completely panicked.

Braithnin: great discussions. A very interesting character.

Garthorn: I dominated our earlier fights but man once you got axes you absolutely crushed me. That was some scary stuff. I'd have rp'd with you more but trying to process minotaur speech on a screenreader is an exercise in futility, so sorry if it felt like I was kind of dodging conversation.

Mashan: you basically took over where Cheyerre left off as my main antagonist for a while. I'll post that log of my death to you at some point. I really came to appreciate neuttral characters more because of your char, lots of interesting discussions. We had some brutal fights too.

Brixif: I thought you had my number that time in the prison. That was one of those skin of your teeth escapes. I think I got out on 12 health or something. I never went back after that experience, so I think you were the real winner there.

Rynranu: we didn't fight or even talk, but honourable mention for your pro shields foiling me on numerous occasions. There was much gnashing of teeth on my part.

Toughest fight: strong lagging warriors had the best potential to kill me, but dexy scouts were the hardest to actually kill. I was kind of dreading coming up against a lagging scout build but fortunately that never happened. I suspect a well played necromancer would also have been my absolute nemesis, but maybe not. In practice lack of bash protection was pretty agonising and pincer rocked me.

Biggest fail: first time I was wanted I went to Galadon to try to kill a trib there, was like "hey I need a return potion", went to buy one and got absolutely annihilated by the magic shopkeeper+golem. I almost deleted on the spot out of shame.

Only real regret is not getting to hero, but maybe next time!

If any more experienced AP players want to chip in, I did have a few edge questions that I never got to answer:
- Does reap the forsaken actually boost damroll or is it just a weird check on melee attacks?
- Does siphoner actually make energy drain more reliable or just boost the damage?
- How much does champion of man reduce sanctuary's affectiveness?
136382, RE: Thanks for the good times.
Posted by incognito on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Rap the forsaken increases your damage but not your damroll, iirc.

Siphoner does improve reliability. It has always been one of my favourite ap edges.

Don't think anyone has ever had champion of man. But a drow might not be the best race for it, not a scarab, since you will want healing preps etc and lots of them. You'll want carrying capacity and non-wanted status. The edge that lets you buy while wanted is of very very limited use for a drow.