Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subject(DELETED) [BATTLE] Gleuven the Furious Fighter
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=135507
135507, (DELETED) [BATTLE] Gleuven the Furious Fighter
Posted by Death_Angel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Fri Nov 16 22:30:53 2018

At 2 o'clock AM, Day of Freedom, 18th of the Month of the Heat
on the Theran calendar Gleuven perished, never to return.
Race:dark-elf
Class:assassin
Level:36
Alignment:Evil
Ethos:Chaotic
Cabal:BATTLE, the BattleRagers, Haters of Magic
Hours:216
135508, RE: (DELETED) [BATTLE] Gleuven the Furious Fighter
Posted by Gleuven on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
When it's clear you are not wanted, eventually, you just go. The imms made that clear tonight.

Rolecontest History.

Gleuven: magic's bane. A practically worthless edge, both because it's mostly out of anyone's control most of the time, and hardly ever even kicks in. It would irrelevant most of the character's life.

Let's see about virtually every other role contest winner in the last six months.

Karvesh: increased stipend. Ok, pretty much nothing. But... also given kuma buki. He got a ####ing second buki, and the one that most people take. A second buki. Of course I was hoping for something similar (and just that mind you, figure giving a buki is enough, but of course he got the other little one, too).

Kooxmow: Dispelling critical and envenomed arrows. Dispelling critical, unlike magic's bane, is always active whenever you use critical. And envenomed arrows also always useful when using that skill.

Zah: Setfracture. Super powerful quest skill. Useable not only on yourself but on others, always.

Drissa: pupil of aarn. makes all your lightforge weapons better, always. Not as strong as some of the others but still a lot more useful than magic's bane.

Serris: healing metamorphaosis and lesser form hardening, two very useful shifter edges.

We can't know yet but I'll be very curious to see what Ilyana, Quinloc, Aurew, and others received when their pbfs come up one day.

Short version: it was made clear I am targeted, and even being the "first" column winner, I got just about the worst possible, a real #### you to you.

So, bye bye.

Morius it seemed like you decided you were not going to interact with me, and weeks went by when you ignored me, even vis, so when you did have that one interaction with me, I was pleasantly surprised. It was great. You're great for that, as long as you do it I suppose. Thanks for that.

I don't feel like writing more, if someone writes or asks anything, I'll see how I feel over the weekend. For now though the obvious bias of the staff is too demoralizing to post more.

Oh, one more thing. Getting 100xp for the rites was sad. having been in several, and seen other people's pbfs, that was extremely low. No doubt someone will chime in "you don't do it for the immxp!" but that would be stupid. Of course you don't do it for it, but you also have a system that requires such things to aid your character, and after making the changes why would you become *more* stingy? It's part of the game, it's not wrong or strange to want all parts to be good and things like the rites are special and take many hours and it should be recognized that way. 100 was less than ever as far as I know, and really made no sense. It's not about entitlement (I'm sure that will be thrown around, too), it's about the way the game is set up.

135509, lol ur a dumbass
Posted by Athioles on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Get on my level newfag:

Grasdraal. I got constable. That's it. Guards with slightly more hp? I think? I don't know. It's the second time I've gotten it. It wasn't great.

Did I bitch? No. You know why?

Last time I won an RC I got a ####ing flaw (ancestral curse) and a worthless edge (swordsmans recovery) to go along with constable edge. And that's nothing compared to what Bemused goes through. Umiron pisses on Bemused just for fun. I think it's the only joy he gets from CF at this point.

tl;dr: In the oppression olympics you don't even get bronze! There's nothing wrong with magic's bane. In fact, it's light years better than dispelling critical strikes which you'd somehow rather have. You don't want ####ty RC rewards? Don't enter RC's.
135525, It's true. He is.
Posted by Relio on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Proving no matter what the imms do some people will never be satisfied.
135510, You took third place.
Posted by Twist on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You got the best Cabal Edge I could give you, as a berserker.

Second place got two cabal edges. Neither of them the "top pick."

First place got two mid-range non-cabal edges that are relatively niche.

If I had any sort of grudge against you, I wouldn't have picked you to win anything.

Yeesh.
135511, You gave me cave fighter once.
At least you apologized for it.

But seriously, I was playing Sindrir at the time. I didn't need a sick RC prize because I was a badass duergar sword spec. Just like this this ####brick didn't need anything as a ####ing rank sitting berserker.

This is what happens when you don't give us Orctober forms to play with. We go crazy.

Bemused hasn't been seen in two weeks. I'm afraid he's roaming the outback of Australia trying to find the new entrance to the nine hells.
135512, Dude, at least cave fighter does not harm you.
Posted by Murphy on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
When I was playing Kanlax, I got driving charge... which at first seemed to never work and later it became actually detrimental and got my groupmates killed in Maethien several times, eventually forcing me to stop using charge in PvE.

I didn't need a sick RC prize either, I should've prayed and asked the stupid bad edge to be taken away.
135513, Funny story.....
I tried to do that with Nazarates because I wanted whatever buki edge gives you 300 hp instead of sensei buki which I assumed was a ####ty edge. They wouldn't do it.

That "####ty edge" became the most OP thing I've ever experienced in CF.
135658, RE: You took third place.
>You got the best Cabal Edge I could give you, as a
>berserker.
>
>Second place got two cabal edges. Neither of them the "top
>pick."
>
>First place got two mid-range non-cabal edges that are
>relatively niche.
>
>If I had any sort of grudge against you, I wouldn't have
>picked you to win anything.
>
>Yeesh.

Warning, this is pretty lengthy.

If you're reading, here we go. I've given a lot of thought to whether to respond, and mostly think it's not going to change much, but in the end what made the decision for me is that there's a fair amount of disinformation by a lot of people here and if newbies or others who don't have experience read this thread, they would leave and perpetuate myths and falsehood. Also, my wife's commentary was worth noting, as I do at the end.

This is then the response to the various items in posts, not just to Twist's.

But I'll start with Twist's comments. You have a longstanding reputation as a straight shooter, so while with anyone else I would simply say you are lying and in a ridiculously obvious way, I'll just say you really, really, really screwed up when you did what you did, in two particular ways.

When you wrote the note announcing winners, Gleuven's name was first, not third. If you go back and look, and really just in common sense in the world, when people list winners of contests and races (unless it's like a beauty pageant, of course), people list first place, second place, third place. That's true for past rolecontest winner notes as much as for various other things.

But ok, nobody is in your head, maybe for some reason you decided to list in reverse order. Ok.

The other problem though is when you type rolecontest history, this is what you get:

<667hp 653m 708mv 16716tnl (-9.97%)> 12 PM PROTECTED civilized rolecontest history
End Date|Immortal |Winner |Winner |Winner
Thu Nov 15 15:07:49 2018|Twist |Gleuven |Zsorilya |Ikno
Tue Oct 23 09:15:03 2018|Emnon | | |
Mon Sep 24 13:14:05 2018|Morius |Togun |Ilyana |Nazahr
Sun Aug 26 12:45:41 2018|Whiysdan |Karvesh |Kerubiel |Jarson
Tue Jul 31 07:37:32 2018|Ysaloerye |Breeng | |
Thu Jul 5 12:37:20 2018|Rahsael | | |
Sun May 20 13:28:37 2018|Ergush |Aurew |Quinloc |
Sat Apr 14 21:47:49 2018|Daphedee |Liela |Kooxmow |Kosten
Sat Mar 24 14:16:12 2018|Ishuli |Grord |Drissa |Solraen
Wed Mar 7 19:15:58 2018|Umiron |Kyllothan |Selaeth |
Tue Jan 23 11:02:27 2018|Korsgaard |Zah |Valeria |Arbrarn
Thu Dec 21 11:47:39 2017|Ysaloerye |Khellor |Serris |Alloysh

Gleuven is in the first column, not the third. And the first column clearly is the first place winner, because as you can see in months where there is no third place, the empty column is the right hand column.

And if you go back and look at the pbfs that exist for these people (interestingly a lot of these people don't have pbfs, and of course those that are still active also don't), the prizes go in descending order from left to right.

Pretty much every way to show who is 1st place, who is second place, who is third place, makes Gleuven the first place winner.

So like I said, you're one of the immortals everyone says is honest and has been for like decades. I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt that it wasn't deliberate but rather just a lot of screw ups that made you want to make me 3rd, but announced it in both places as though he was 1st place. I would hope you would understand though, looking at it now as someone outside looks at it, why I'd think Gleuven was 1st place.

As for the part about you giving the best cabal edge you could give, that's also, well, not true, or at least not necessarily true. Either Defiant Resistance or Magic Repellent would have been better, or at least equal, and those two are active always (when we have the head, and of course if we don't have the head, the veil isn't going to be thick). I get that maybe some people will argue which is better among the three, but it wasn't the only choice. I imagine you're going to say it's the only edge that's specific to berserkers, and ok, but the other two are equally ok for any villager.

Which brings me to all the various people talking about how good magic's bane was and how silly I was to think it's not. Few things. I've had it. I know exactly how it works, probably better than anyone other than those with access to the code. Why? Because one of the times I got it was during a skill-training period in the character's life, and I spent dozens of hours after getting it using the exact same weapons, equ, skills, and mobs, that I had been using before. The only change was the edge. And it was negligble (the same damage verb) until it was "thick", not the sort of thick levels above normal. And sure, at very thick and of course at choking it was awesome. But a few things about that. Those times are uncommon to rare, they are impossible to control after the first day of a reboot (or never if you aren't high enough level to get strong items), and they last a very short time. Again, I've had the edge, I know how it works in practice, and it shines a couple times in a character's life, but for the vast majority of time, even for someone like me who gives lots of items to tahren, it's like it isn't there. Maybe it's worth looking at the code to give it a bit of a bump at lower levels. Not much, but at least something to make it marginally noticeable? Or an echo? Anyway.

All that comes to the point where I would ask you all to put yourself in my shoes. I was, I thought (based on the ways one can tell) the first place winner. Past first place winners have won bukis and quest skills. I got one edge, only, and it was this. Sure, maybe I should have waited and asked rather than delete, but history tells us that even asking often leads to just removing the reward, no matter how nicely someone inquires. Based on the information I had, it made sense to think I was getting shafted for some reason.

My wife, who like most spouses hates this game (and all other games I play, naturally), upon my explaining why she hadn't seen the "MASSACRE!" screen in a couple weeks and instead seen one of the other games I play instead, says that she thinks I have a point, but that she is equally convinced that chances are they wouldn't have given me a win, either 1st or 3rd, if they were planning on doing something shady with the reward. She does admit that it's possible that the imms (I imagine Twist but maybe others were involved? I don't know) didn't know who it was when they decided the winners, but then when coming up with rewards they looked at the ip or something and thus had already picked me but now could screw the reward.

Again though, she thinks it's unlikely, and she's probably right. So as I said, I think with the information I had at the time, my decision was not crazy. But it may have been mistaken.

That being said, evil genius that she is, my wife still says I should harbor the anger so I never play again, and that way she can move on to how to sabotage the other games. That's love, right?
135659, I'm really sorry you feel so very strongly. n/t
Posted by Rahsael on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
nt
135660, You are the gift that keeps on giving.
Posted by Lhydia on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM

Thank you.

>>You got the best Cabal Edge I could give you, as a
>>berserker.
>>
>>Second place got two cabal edges. Neither of them the "top
>>pick."
>>
>>First place got two mid-range non-cabal edges that are
>>relatively niche.
>>
>>If I had any sort of grudge against you, I wouldn't have
>>picked you to win anything.
>>
>>Yeesh.
>
>Warning, this is pretty lengthy.
>
>If you're reading, here we go. I've given a lot of thought to
>whether to respond, and mostly think it's not going to change
>much, but in the end what made the decision for me is that
>there's a fair amount of disinformation by a lot of people
>here and if newbies or others who don't have experience read
>this thread, they would leave and perpetuate myths and
>falsehood. Also, my wife's commentary was worth noting, as I
>do at the end.
>
>This is then the response to the various items in posts, not
>just to Twist's.
>
>But I'll start with Twist's comments. You have a longstanding
>reputation as a straight shooter, so while with anyone else I
>would simply say you are lying and in a ridiculously obvious
>way, I'll just say you really, really, really screwed up when
>you did what you did, in two particular ways.
>
>When you wrote the note announcing winners, Gleuven's name was
>first, not third. If you go back and look, and really just in
>common sense in the world, when people list winners of
>contests and races (unless it's like a beauty pageant, of
>course), people list first place, second place, third place.
>That's true for past rolecontest winner notes as much as for
>various other things.
>
>But ok, nobody is in your head, maybe for some reason you
>decided to list in reverse order. Ok.
>
>The other problem though is when you type rolecontest history,
>this is what you get:
>
><667hp 653m 708mv 16716tnl (-9.97%)> 12 PM PROTECTED civilized
>rolecontest history
> End Date|Immortal |Winner |Winner
>|Winner
>Thu Nov 15 15:07:49 2018|Twist |Gleuven |Zsorilya
>|Ikno
>Tue Oct 23 09:15:03 2018|Emnon | |
>|
>Mon Sep 24 13:14:05 2018|Morius |Togun |Ilyana
>|Nazahr
>Sun Aug 26 12:45:41 2018|Whiysdan |Karvesh |Kerubiel
>|Jarson
>Tue Jul 31 07:37:32 2018|Ysaloerye |Breeng |
>|
>Thu Jul 5 12:37:20 2018|Rahsael | |
>|
>Sun May 20 13:28:37 2018|Ergush |Aurew |Quinloc
>|
>Sat Apr 14 21:47:49 2018|Daphedee |Liela |Kooxmow
>|Kosten
>Sat Mar 24 14:16:12 2018|Ishuli |Grord |Drissa
>|Solraen
>Wed Mar 7 19:15:58 2018|Umiron |Kyllothan |Selaeth
>|
>Tue Jan 23 11:02:27 2018|Korsgaard |Zah |Valeria
>|Arbrarn
>Thu Dec 21 11:47:39 2017|Ysaloerye |Khellor |Serris
>|Alloysh
>
>Gleuven is in the first column, not the third. And the first
>column clearly is the first place winner, because as you can
>see in months where there is no third place, the empty column
>is the right hand column.
>
>And if you go back and look at the pbfs that exist for these
>people (interestingly a lot of these people don't have pbfs,
>and of course those that are still active also don't), the
>prizes go in descending order from left to right.
>
>Pretty much every way to show who is 1st place, who is second
>place, who is third place, makes Gleuven the first place
>winner.
>
>So like I said, you're one of the immortals everyone says is
>honest and has been for like decades. I'm willing to give you
>the benefit of the doubt that it wasn't deliberate but rather
>just a lot of screw ups that made you want to make me 3rd, but
>announced it in both places as though he was 1st place. I
>would hope you would understand though, looking at it now as
>someone outside looks at it, why I'd think Gleuven was 1st
>place.
>
>As for the part about you giving the best cabal edge you could
>give, that's also, well, not true, or at least not necessarily
>true. Either Defiant Resistance or Magic Repellent would have
>been better, or at least equal, and those two are active
>always (when we have the head, and of course if we don't have
>the head, the veil isn't going to be thick). I get that maybe
>some people will argue which is better among the three, but it
>wasn't the only choice. I imagine you're going to say it's
>the only edge that's specific to berserkers, and ok, but the
>other two are equally ok for any villager.
>
>Which brings me to all the various people talking about how
>good magic's bane was and how silly I was to think it's not.
>Few things. I've had it. I know exactly how it works,
>probably better than anyone other than those with access to
>the code. Why? Because one of the times I got it was during a
>skill-training period in the character's life, and I spent
>dozens of hours after getting it using the exact same weapons,
>equ, skills, and mobs, that I had been using before. The only
>change was the edge. And it was negligble (the same damage
>verb) until it was "thick", not the sort of thick levels above
>normal. And sure, at very thick and of course at choking it
>was awesome. But a few things about that. Those times are
>uncommon to rare, they are impossible to control after the
>first day of a reboot (or never if you aren't high enough
>level to get strong items), and they last a very short time.
>Again, I've had the edge, I know how it works in practice, and
>it shines a couple times in a character's life, but for the
>vast majority of time, even for someone like me who gives lots
>of items to tahren, it's like it isn't there. Maybe it's worth
>looking at the code to give it a bit of a bump at lower
>levels. Not much, but at least something to make it marginally
>noticeable? Or an echo? Anyway.
>
>All that comes to the point where I would ask you all to put
>yourself in my shoes. I was, I thought (based on the ways one
>can tell) the first place winner. Past first place winners
>have won bukis and quest skills. I got one edge, only, and it
>was this. Sure, maybe I should have waited and asked rather
>than delete, but history tells us that even asking often leads
>to just removing the reward, no matter how nicely someone
>inquires. Based on the information I had, it made sense to
>think I was getting shafted for some reason.
>
>My wife, who like most spouses hates this game (and all other
>games I play, naturally), upon my explaining why she hadn't
>seen the "MASSACRE!" screen in a couple weeks and instead seen
>one of the other games I play instead, says that she thinks I
>have a point, but that she is equally convinced that chances
>are they wouldn't have given me a win, either 1st or 3rd, if
>they were planning on doing something shady with the reward.
>She does admit that it's possible that the imms (I imagine
>Twist but maybe others were involved? I don't know) didn't
>know who it was when they decided the winners, but then when
>coming up with rewards they looked at the ip or something and
>thus had already picked me but now could screw the reward.
>
>Again though, she thinks it's unlikely, and she's probably
>right. So as I said, I think with the information I had at
>the time, my decision was not crazy. But it may have been
>mistaken.
>
>That being said, evil genius that she is, my wife still says I
>should harbor the anger so I never play again, and that way
>she can move on to how to sabotage the other games. That's
>love, right?
135661, Could be
Posted by laxman on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Could be that there are just winners as far as the history system is concerned and no ranking. Either you win and get something or you don’t.

Personally I think more damage more better on a melee char but I can see people valuing more defense higher. Either way you split that hair you are better off with an edge than without. Keep in mind damage noun ranges are not equal, +30 dam at graze level will jump nouns but won’t at **demolish**.

And if they had it out for you they wouldn’t give you a prize period, or they would give you a flaw if they were being ####s. The world does not revolve around you no matter what your spouse says, and it’s likely you are lending bias when framing the situation to her.

But hey I guess common sense isn’t so common.
135662, The history system isn't ordered by place
Posted by robdarken_ on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You can see Drissa in the second slot down there even though they are a first place winner. Took me 2 minutes to find out.

Basically, you're a moron.
135664, Scoring
When I judge a RC, I copy the list of entrants into an Excel spreadsheet, then go down the line scoring them. I usually throw in a random type of variable so that it isn't just purely "Which role I like the most."

In this instance, I chose if roles had the number 7 in them in any way, because my birthday is on November 7th. In the past, I've chosen roles that had something about birth in them, or stuff like that.

I don't say "If you had a 7 you're a winner." I say that if it comes down between two roles with the same overall score, one that meets the special criteria will win out.

It's just a fun way for me to look at things beyond just the role.

This year I also took formatting/spelling/typos into account. So if you had a great role concept but didn't carry it out well, you got dinged.

So, in the list of entrants from the "rolecontest entrants" command, Gleuven was like...3rd or 4th from the top, if I recall. Which, if I understand correctly, just means that you entered earlier than the others.

After I scored them all and had my three winners, I chose them not based on what place they took, but just in the order I had them in the spreadsheet.

I probably should have said to you that you took third, when you prayed asking if that was all you got. But I was kinda put off by the prayer itself, so you just got a "That's it."

As to your mention of the other two cabal edge choices I had for you, I considered them but they seemed lame in comparison. Gleuven, as I understood your roleplay, was all about hatred and anger and rage, so I figured hitting harder would suit you better.

I've been in the same boat in the past. I won a role contest back when the typical prize was a legacy/quest form type deal, as an evil Outlander ranger. I think I was Nightreaver, not sure. I was REALLY hoping for wall of thorns, but I got a quest skill instead. The skill made it so if I had steaks of a PC that I killed, eating them would give me aristaeia. That was pretty disappointing. It wouldn't be nowadays when RC rewards have been toned down, but back then it was like "wow really?" Still didn't delete over it though. :P
135666, RE: Scoring
Posted by Kstatida on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>In this instance, I chose if roles had the number 7 in them in
>any way, because my birthday is on November 7th. In the past,
>I've chosen roles that had something about birth in them, or
>stuff like that.

You should not have revealed this, because holy macaroni this is a horrible way to judge. If you have two roles competing, give prize to both, don't be an asshole who gives a win to "#7".
135668, Themes
I like to incorporate themes. I like to keep what the theme will be hidden, though, because I don't want to have people trying to write a custom role entry or two just for my contest. Basically I try to allow "luck" to play a little bit of a factor, not just whether the person is a good writer or not.

RC's are always subjective. Some of the roles that entered the RC had received very high-rated role XP from other imms, and I was unimpressed. Others received only average XP and I really liked them.

I didn't ding a role for NOT having any mention of a 7. I gave a little bonus if they did.

In this particular RC, IIRC there were only two roles that referenced the number 7 and neither scored high enough to be considered, so it was a moot point.
135670, RE: Scoring
>When I judge a RC, I copy the list of entrants into an Excel
>spreadsheet, then go down the line scoring them. I usually
>throw in a random type of variable so that it isn't just
>purely "Which role I like the most."
>
>In this instance, I chose if roles had the number 7 in them in
>any way, because my birthday is on November 7th. In the past,
>I've chosen roles that had something about birth in them, or
>stuff like that.
>
>I don't say "If you had a 7 you're a winner." I say that if it
>comes down between two roles with the same overall score, one
>that meets the special criteria will win out.
>
>It's just a fun way for me to look at things beyond just the
>role.
>
>This year I also took formatting/spelling/typos into account.
>So if you had a great role concept but didn't carry it out
>well, you got dinged.
>
>So, in the list of entrants from the "rolecontest entrants"
>command, Gleuven was like...3rd or 4th from the top, if I
>recall. Which, if I understand correctly, just means that you
>entered earlier than the others.
>
>After I scored them all and had my three winners, I chose them
>not based on what place they took, but just in the order I had
>them in the spreadsheet.
>
>I probably should have said to you that you took third, when
>you prayed asking if that was all you got. But I was kinda put
>off by the prayer itself, so you just got a "That's it."
>
>As to your mention of the other two cabal edge choices I had
>for you, I considered them but they seemed lame in comparison.
>Gleuven, as I understood your roleplay, was all about hatred
>and anger and rage, so I figured hitting harder would suit you
>better.
>
>I've been in the same boat in the past. I won a role contest
>back when the typical prize was a legacy/quest form type deal,
>as an evil Outlander ranger. I think I was Nightreaver, not
>sure. I was REALLY hoping for wall of thorns, but I got a
>quest skill instead. The skill made it so if I had steaks of a
>PC that I killed, eating them would give me aristaeia. That
>was pretty disappointing. It wouldn't be nowadays when RC
>rewards have been toned down, but back then it was like "wow
>really?" Still didn't delete over it though. :P

Thank you for responding and explaining, though it was certainly not necessary. I hope you understand where my frustration came from, regardless of how it ended up.

Thanks again.
135667, What do you make of the fact that everyone on this thread other than your wife says you're being dumb?
Posted by Mcbeth on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Nt
135514, Just out of curiosity.....
Were you the guy who deleted because you accidentally typed elbow which kicked out "You've thrown a lot more punches than elbows in your day, and decide to stick with what you know." and you assumed an imm was sending you a ####ty gecho?

Because this kind of reminded me of that. Just not nearly as epic.

That was seriously thread of the year.

Maybe the decade.

Or the entire millennium.
135522, I can neither confirm nor deny. (nt)
Posted by Umiron on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
das
135526, So you confirm. :) (nt)
Posted by Relio on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
nt
135515, RE: (DELETED) [BATTLE] Gleuven the Furious Fighter
Posted by Forum Participant 921342 on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Villagers passively thin the veil just by logging in, and can do ingame stuff to thin it further. Veil thin = big smashy damage.

Next time you get flametastically angry about game stuff, chillaxe and try not to hyperfocus. There's a good chance your anger is based off of an incomplete understanding of the situation.
135519, Dude...! You deleted over WINNING a RC?!
Posted by Rastensol on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Damn... Hated you character that much?

If the imms had it out for you, I doubt they would have re-inducted you to the Village and given you a title at level 36. Or, as Twist said, given you the RC win.

What were you expecting?

That edge is not ####ty, either, by the way. Yes, it is situational, but, you can partly control it. It's just a difficult one to judge because you don't know exactly how it works or what the damage bump is. It might be scalable, so you see a small uptick is the Veil is slightly thick and more as it gets thicker. Still worth it for a berserker.

Also... Had you ever become leader you'd see a lot more benefit to the edge because the Commander and DM seem to have a stronger impact on the Veil.

Aside from that Gleuven was a solid character that I liked. I commend you for sticking out the being uninducted. It's just a shame to see you do all that and seem to be fairly successful only to have you delete over this. It would have been fun to have you in the hero ranks.
135520, RE: (DELETED) [BATTLE] Gleuven the Furious Fighter
Posted by Ilyana on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I guess maybe sometimes ignorance is bliss. I actually have no idea how mechanically good/ bad Ilyana's RC reward is compared to yours and everyone else's. It even took a bit of time for her to finally receive it, and I had no certainty/ expectation that she would get anything at all. So you can imagine the surprise and adrenaline when Morius suddenly one day gifted her the prize, together with some helpful echos and a nice note. What I can share, since the character is still active, is that it was immediately clear Morius had put some thought into an IC/ RP appropriate reward, one which made sense in context of her role, and for that I was very grateful and touched (thanks again, Morius!). We, each of us, can't help what we feel, but sometimes maybe just go with the flow and enjoy the ride.
135521, Sorry you didn’t like your free stuff.
Posted by Lhydia on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Glad you didn’t freak out over it.

Although I guess I have done similar before. Just stop playing for a year or so. It changes your perspective completely.

>When it's clear you are not wanted, eventually, you just go.
>The imms made that clear tonight.
>
>Rolecontest History.
>
>Gleuven: magic's bane. A practically worthless edge, both
>because it's mostly out of anyone's control most of the time,
>and hardly ever even kicks in. It would irrelevant most of
>the character's life.
>
>Let's see about virtually every other role contest winner in
>the last six months.
>
>Karvesh: increased stipend. Ok, pretty much nothing. But...
>also given kuma buki. He got a ####ing second buki, and the
>one that most people take. A second buki. Of course I was
>hoping for something similar (and just that mind you, figure
>giving a buki is enough, but of course he got the other little
>one, too).
>
>Kooxmow: Dispelling critical and envenomed arrows. Dispelling
>critical, unlike magic's bane, is always active whenever you
>use critical. And envenomed arrows also always useful when
>using that skill.
>
>Zah: Setfracture. Super powerful quest skill. Useable not
>only on yourself but on others, always.
>
>Drissa: pupil of aarn. makes all your lightforge weapons
>better, always. Not as strong as some of the others but still
>a lot more useful than magic's bane.
>
>Serris: healing metamorphaosis and lesser form hardening, two
>very useful shifter edges.
>
>We can't know yet but I'll be very curious to see what Ilyana,
>Quinloc, Aurew, and others received when their pbfs come up
>one day.
>
>Short version: it was made clear I am targeted, and even
>being the "first" column winner, I got just about the worst
>possible, a real #### you to you.
>
>So, bye bye.
>
>Morius it seemed like you decided you were not going to
>interact with me, and weeks went by when you ignored me, even
>vis, so when you did have that one interaction with me, I was
>pleasantly surprised. It was great. You're great for that, as
>long as you do it I suppose. Thanks for that.
>
>I don't feel like writing more, if someone writes or asks
>anything, I'll see how I feel over the weekend. For now
>though the obvious bias of the staff is too demoralizing to
>post more.
>
>Oh, one more thing. Getting 100xp for the rites was sad.
>having been in several, and seen other people's pbfs, that was
>extremely low. No doubt someone will chime in "you don't do
>it for the immxp!" but that would be stupid. Of course you
>don't do it for it, but you also have a system that requires
>such things to aid your character, and after making the
>changes why would you become *more* stingy? It's part of the
>game, it's not wrong or strange to want all parts to be good
>and things like the rites are special and take many hours and
>it should be recognized that way. 100 was less than ever as
>far as I know, and really made no sense. It's not about
>entitlement (I'm sure that will be thrown around, too), it's
>about the way the game is set up.
>
>
135524, RE: (DELETED) [BATTLE] Gleuven the Furious Fighter
Posted by Jormyr on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>When it's clear you are not wanted, eventually, you just go.
>The imms made that clear tonight.
>
>Rolecontest History.
>
>Gleuven: magic's bane. A practically worthless edge, both
>because it's mostly out of anyone's control most of the time,
>and hardly ever even kicks in. It would irrelevant most of
>the character's life.

I...am more or less speechless because I think anything I could
actually frame to say would be interpreted as further bias and
hatred towards you. So, I'll stick to the illogic of the
previous statement. Let me copy in the helpfile quick.

Magic's Bane - Some members of the Village strike harder based on
the thinness of the Veil. The weaker magic is in the world, the
harder they will strike.

Unless I misread the helpfile (and I asked around to make sure),
this edge literally makes you hit (a small) bit harder for EVERY
HIT OF YOUR CHARACTER'S LIFE. If that's not good enough for you,
guess what you can do? You can do the thing that...you know...
BattleRagers are supposed to do, and give magical items to Tahren
to thin the Veil. Then you get to hit a touch harder than that
even. It's literally active ALL THE TIME, in EVERY SITUATION for
the rest of that character's life, which...apparently is done.
But seriously....hardly ever kicks in? It never turns off.
*boggle*

>Let's see about virtually every other role contest winner in
>the last six months.
>
>Karvesh: increased stipend. Ok, pretty much nothing. But...
>also given kuma buki. He got a ####ing second buki, and the
>one that most people take. A second buki. Of course I was
>hoping for something similar (and just that mind you, figure
>giving a buki is enough, but of course he got the other little
>one, too).

I agree. Buki's are awesome.

>Kooxmow: Dispelling critical and envenomed arrows. Dispelling
>critical, unlike magic's bane, is always active whenever you
>use critical. And envenomed arrows also always useful when
>using that skill.

Uh...no. I've never had it, but from the feedback I've received
on dispelling critical, the chance of the edge firing a dispel is
about as good as Shokai being vis. It's a fine line between
useless and OP for a Battle char to dispel spells, but right now
I feel it leans towards useless. But...YMMV.

>Zah: Setfracture. Super powerful quest skill. Useable not
>only on yourself but on others, always.

Don't even get me started on set fracture. 10 years ago I
suggested that idea, ICly, as one of my Battle characters. Then
I condied before "they could give it to me". I've never had it.
It upsets me.

>Drissa: pupil of aarn. makes all your lightforge weapons
>better, always. Not as strong as some of the others but still
>a lot more useful than magic's bane.

Yeah, it's nice. When you use those weapons. Which are less
powerful than many other weapons attainable by characters in the
game. Which, if you notice Destuvius' comments, I'm pretty sure
he just gave Drissa that edge for...being an awesome character and
using lightforged weapons all the time.

>Serris: healing metamorphaosis and lesser form hardening, two
>very useful shifter edges.

Again, pretty sure difference of opinion. Yeah, lesser form
hardening's great...if you don't like using your best forms. So
...sure? It's useful if you want to handicap yourself? Also,
again never had it, but feedback I'd heard about healing
metamorphosis was that it gave like...10hp. But I could be wrong.
No direct experience.

>We can't know yet but I'll be very curious to see what Ilyana,
>Quinloc, Aurew, and others received when their pbfs come up
>one day.
>
>Short version: it was made clear I am targeted, and even
>being the "first" column winner, I got just about the worst
>possible, a real #### you to you.

>So, bye bye.
>
>Morius it seemed like you decided you were not going to
>interact with me, and weeks went by when you ignored me, even
>vis, so when you did have that one interaction with me, I was
>pleasantly surprised. It was great. You're great for that, as
>long as you do it I suppose. Thanks for that.
>
>I don't feel like writing more, if someone writes or asks
>anything, I'll see how I feel over the weekend. For now
>though the obvious bias of the staff is too demoralizing to
>post more.

>Oh, one more thing. Getting 100xp for the rites was sad.
>having been in several, and seen other people's pbfs, that was
>extremely low. No doubt someone will chime in "you don't do
>it for the immxp!" but that would be stupid. Of course you
>don't do it for it, but you also have a system that requires
>such things to aid your character, and after making the
>changes why would you become *more* stingy? It's part of the
>game, it's not wrong or strange to want all parts to be good
>and things like the rites are special and take many hours and
>it should be recognized that way. 100 was less than ever as
>far as I know, and really made no sense. It's not about
>entitlement (I'm sure that will be thrown around, too), it's
>about the way the game is set up.

Eh, I'm on the fence. I always thought it was stupid when people
"double-dipped" on experiences, like...oh, here's a tattoo AND
imm-xp. Or empowerment and xp, etc. So I have always thought it
was dumb people got more XP for participating in an event to try
to become leader than day-in-day-out awesomeness, but I get the
argument there to some degree given anyone with past experience
with it.

At the end of the day, the two key points are....
1) Like Twist said - if there was a grudge against you, you
simply wouldn't have been picked at all.
2) Stop comparing what you did or didn't get to what someone else
did or didn't get. Characters are unique, circumstances are unique, and one of the neat things about CF is the rewards can be
uniquely tailored.

...but yeah....all three of the "generic path" Battle edges are
awesomesauce.
135533, Disregarding the drama, you are wrong about dispelling crit
Posted by Murphy on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Hexugar dispelled my buffs every time we fought, and we fought a lot.
135534, Prep level
Posted by laxman on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
It’s good at hero vs level 10-20 spells from potions, which covers most fly, protection, and stoneskin from pill/potions.

It’s not as good against level 51+ affects.

But dropping fly is all you need usually.

So it’s great vs non mages.
135537, Ah.
Posted by Jormyr on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Not to get too far off topic, but appreciate the clarification. Was simply going off comments from characters. Dislike the "yet another thing that is good against non-mages more than mages", but...can't really see a logic otherwise. Can always go further in a diff thread.

I retract commentary regarding dispelling critical for lack of actual knowledge of its usefulness or lack thereof.
135528, Serris' shifter edges
Posted by Saagkri on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Not complaining about the rewards I got, but they are not as great as you seem to think.

Healing Metamorphosis - It had a timer and healed a very small amount of HP. Never saw it heal bones or anything else.

Lesser form Hardening - Pretty niche. Unless there's a reason you'll be tanking with a form other than your finals, you'll never use it. I think I used it some with my frog underwater.
135529, You sound like a whiner with entitlement issues
Posted by incognito on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I got two edges that were of no use to me at all (literally). But they still made my character unique.

If people were out to get you you wouldn't have won the role contest. And getting any exp for the rites is a bonus, not an entitlement.
135530, RE: (DELETED) [BATTLE] Gleuven the Furious Fighter
Posted by Jarmel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
When Sekope won the RC I got, Seasoned Traveller, Transportation
Sensitivity, Martial Berserker.

Those rewards perfectly fit the role of the character and I was just
stoked that the effort I put into writing something hit a chord with
someone else.

But that Cabal edge you got. WOW I would trade all three of my edges
for that edge. Cabal edges in general are the bomb ... there is a reason
you cannot normally pick them. The edge you got is really solid and
it gives you options in the way you can gear that no-one else in the
game has.
- Rather than this 4 dam item ill go for this 2 dam item with 50 hp
and 3 str, and look I still hit harder than I use to.

I think before you take the step you have. You need to step back and
actually try what you have got. Rather than taking the
"This role is amazing its going to net me 27 legacies when I win the RC"

Because everyone has had a role that they have thought is incredible and
deserves to win and be showered with praise. I have had a few of those
and while I enjoyed the role, stepping back and looking at it again
after the character age/con died i realised just how it could have
failed to hit a chord in every RC I entered.
135535, Drissa actually got calming, chilling, and vanguard for the RC win
Posted by Mcbeth on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
They edited the pbf before posting it to avoid whining from people like you but I guess the cats out of the bag now. :/

Pupil of Aarn was because Destuvius is cool and rewards long lived chars that he likes.

Srsly though you're dumb, who deletes in response to getting rewarded?
135539, Big hail to you from ESL people who are playing CF.
Posted by scr on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
We don't even have any chance to get rewarded (with rare exceptions though) at all. And we still around and play for our own fun. Disappointment comes from high expectations, isn't it? So I would advise to not expect anything and you won't be disappointed. I think so.
135540, Jesus. This supposed to be a reply to Gleuvens post (n/t)
Posted by scr on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
n/t
135544, Increased stipend was actually the ####
Posted by JohnEveryMan on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Never had to farm gold.

Kuma Buki was an amazing reward but I have no doubt Whiysdan gave
it to me knowing I wasn't really a contender in the PK scene anyway,
at most it made solo raiding outtie bearable.
135545, This is a good point the author failed to consider...
Posted by KoeKhaos on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
The reward is highly dependent on the player and/or character. Giving something that can aid in PK to someone who is not good at PK or doesn't PK isn't going to break much whereas giving the same to someone who is already a PK powerhouse does make a big difference. Besides... who the heck deletes over getting a decent reward with a 3rd place win? I was a bit in disbelief at the outright delusion in the ops post.