Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subject(CON LOSS) [FORTRESS] Viyen the Legend of the Battlefield
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=134152
134152, (CON LOSS) [FORTRESS] Viyen the Legend of the Battlefield
Posted by Death_Angel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Fri May 25 20:18:32 2018

At 3 o'clock PM, Day of the Bull, 1st of the Month of the Grand Struggle
on the Theran calendar Viyen perished, never to return.
Race:elf
Class:warrior
Level:51
Alignment:Good
Ethos:Chaotic
Cabal:FORTRESS, the Fortress of Light
Hours:208
134193, RE: (CON LOSS) [FORTRESS] Viyen the Legend of the Battlefield
Posted by Marrion on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Well darn it. You were doing so well. See you in the fields again soon I hope.
134190, RE: (CON LOSS) [FORTRESS] Viyen the Legend of the Battlefield
Posted by Dhuzir on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Wow, had no idea you were newbieish, most of the times I felt I was playing the underdog with you. I think I might've ganked you once or twice. Nice fights, hope to see you back in the fields!
134175, Awesome progress
Posted by Kstatida on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I watched you as Tyree through your progress with Exirus and Viyen, and I should say you've made it from an easy frag to a dangerous enemy very quickly. I hope you enjoy it!

P.S. I also guess that it was my fault you ended up here, well I'm sorry :)
134177, RE: Awesome progress
Posted by xyfa on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Thanks. Yeah, it was one of your posts (I think the one from when cf placed in one of the various rankings, but I can't remember off hand).
134165, Well done
Posted by Zah on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I really enjoyed have Viyen around as an "enemy". Your comment about our talks turning into ghosts made me laugh.

Reading some of the other replies, I think it is very apparent you're experienced from other MUDs. You definitely RP extremely well and always enjoyed our chats (even before the action started). The way you went out too was awesome, I even sent the Fort a note about it.

From a PK perspective I thought you held your own really well too. I definitely had the upper hand in terms of match up, yet you still got me as often as I got you (this may speak more to my lack of ability than yours).

I'd highly recommend trying a Villager next. You'll die a lot (which you seem fine with), but you'll likely find yourself more deadly and much more able to jump straight into the action.

GLWYN
134159, RE: (CON LOSS) [FORTRESS] Viyen the Legend of the Battlefield
Posted by Borlan on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I could tell you were learning by leaps and bounds throughout the life of this character, awesome job dude. Good luck with your next.
134154, RE: (CON LOSS) [FORTRESS] Viyen the Legend of the Battl...
Well, that was fun. I picked elf warrior after my first attempt at a character (invoker) because I didn't want to have to grind skills ever again at the time. It turned out to actually be good, which was a nice bonus. I think I could've picked better legacies based on who I ended up mostly fighting, but fires of adversity had an awesome name so that was that. Specializations seemed to work well together, but I have no frame of reference. Sphere protection turned out to be a really fun option with the various interactions I got myself into.

Gold is my biggest weakness at this point, I think. Not being able to afford preps or healing most of the time was really painful. My affectiveness massively dropped off when without cabal powers as a side effect, so learning how to make that quickly is something I will try to work on on my next character. I also definitely should've worked on skills at earlier levels, as not having flails/staff/polearm/whip/spear perfected at hero kind of sucked in the instances where they came up, as rare as those seem to be.

Huge thanks to all the people that helped me. I can't name everyone (though everyone in the Fortress that I interacted with is on the list), but honourable mentions:

Drissa: Just all around awesome. Taught me tons and always went out of your way to help me with anything. Sorry that I died so soon, I was down to about 7 con when I got Maran and don't really like playing conservatively.

Erhiadkeb: you might be the most patient person I have ever met in a mud. You dragging me around on your killing sprees taught me a huge amount about being more affective in groups. You also bankrolled me every time I got killed by someone which made the learning curve much less painful.

Auru: You are great. I enjoyed all of our interactions and am sad our times didn't line up more.

As for enemies, I can honestly say I had no bad interactions with anyone. I had a lot of fun with village/empire in particular. The interactions I had with Scarab were very brief, and I don't really know enough about the concept to engage very well with it yet, so apologies if I seemed clueless (that was both me and the character).

See you all next time.
134156, Awesome
Posted by Drissa on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Were you Exirus, too? Welcome to CF, if this was your second character you are way above the curve compared to my second. What muds did you previously play?

Really enjoyed "recruiting" you, I felt a little responsible for nudging you towards Fort so was then really happy when you got some wind in your sails and made Maran.

Enjoy the next!
134158, RE: Awesome
Yeah, Exirus was my first one. That grind drove me to madness, I won't be doing invoker again for a while. Also I kept teleporting to the top of the tower of sorcery cursed area which gave me teleport ptsd.

I've pk'd in a few muds but never a diku one, so that was a tough adjustment. None of them were true open world pk either - I was googling for one and that's how I ended up here thanks to a Reddit post.
134157, RE: (CON LOSS) [FORTRESS] Viyen the Legend of the Battl...
Posted by Thaedan on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Glad you had a good experience. Fort can be a mixed blessing for new players. Certain aspects of good-aligned role-play are easier, but you generally find yourself fighting more experienced and PK-focused opponents.

Without going into any of the more easter-eggy options for raising gold, my advice would be: collect magical items and sell them at merchants that buy magic items. Corollary: find as many merchants as you can who'll buy magic items.

Also: keep an eye out for items that are non-limited, lightweight, easily gathered, and worth enough to be bartered for a "heal heal". Put ten of them in your container. One good way to build up a stash is to not always have to spend it when you need a quick "heal heal".
134160, I remember when I was playing Kipple and watching you grow...
Posted by Blkdrgn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I hope I helped you with your pk with the arena fights that were less stress inducing as they didn't take con from you. I figured you were new and I hoped some of those lessons helped you out.
134162, RE: I remember when I was playing Kipple and watching you grow...
They helped a lot! I think after those were actually when I started to get the hang of things. Very much appreciated the no con loss practice.
134166, Sad to see you're gone
Posted by Leowyn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I didn't interact with you until you were near hero, but I never had a clue that you were new to CF. You seemed pretty on top of things for the most part.

Appreciate the chats we had though, you helped push me along when IC I wouldn't do it alone. I was looking forward to running around with you a bit, but I guess that wasn't meant to be.

Looking forward to seeing your next. Good job.
134184, very nice ;) (n/t)
Posted by Dihhadea on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
n/t
134153, RE: (CON LOSS) [FORTRESS] Viyen the Legend of the Battlefield
Posted by Jhelruk on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
For an elf you were ok!

Reminded me a little bit of myself except for those teenie tiny arms. Do you even lift?

GLWYN there was a big difference near the end. The only way to get there is to take lots of risks and learn where that boundary is.

134163, RE: (CON LOSS) [FORTRESS] Viyen the Legend of the Battlefield
You were really tough. I enjoyed all of our post fight interactions, and learned a lot from all the thrashings. Your willingness to go against the crazy odds was pretty phenomenal. My tiny arms were never quite enough.