Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subject(AUTO) [None] Ada the Warrior of the Shield, Anathema to the Empire
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=130850
130850, (AUTO) [None] Ada the Warrior of the Shield, Anathema to the Empire
Posted by Death_Angel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Fri Apr 14 15:24:32 2017

At 7 o'clock AM, Day of the Sun, 13th of the Month of the Long Shadows
on the Theran calendar Ada perished, never to return.
Race:frost
Class:warrior
Level:34
Alignment:Evil
Ethos:Orderly
Cabal:None, None
Hours:85
130862, I liked giant polearm spec
Posted by Humbert on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I was on holiday for 3 weeks and then returned to a lot of work, so I lost the time to play.

I didn't get to interact too much with many people given sparse playtimes.

Ada was a Deormdel follower just as Deormdel pretty much disappeared, which was unfortunate.

I picked polearm because (a) I have not tried it before, and (b) I wanted to prove funnyone wrong. "funnyone" is the qhcf handle of a CF player with poor self-awareness and judgement, who declared giant polearm specs worthless.

I didn't focus much on hunting down PKs, and ended up with a 14-0 PK record (my estimate), most of it solo. I did spend a lot of time just grinding skill %s on frost giant int. I thought that was really good by my standards, and showed the strength of the giant polearm build.

Giant polearm spec is excellent in the midranks, and I estimate that it would remain good (with slight drop-off in power) in hero ranks as a defensive spec with great bleeding.

I was planning to pick mace and Cry/Gates for hero levels. I think the final build at hero would've been deadly in Empire gangs, and very solid solo as well.

(1) The distance-based tanking is incredibly good, I felt significantly tankier than a low-hp high-dex sword spec (e.g. arial).

(2) Slice causes huge bleeding (even more with the edge), I think the bleeding got me like 4 or 5 of my kills or something ridiculous like that.

(3) Cutoff is very reliable in one-exit rooms particularly.

(4) Chop deals double the damage of a melee hit, and was surprisingly good as a finisher with cutoff and parting blow.

I didn't have Imperial heroes give me any hero-grade polearms, unfortunately, so I made most of my kills with the unlimited imperial polearm, the poison jade polearm, and twice with the flaming bardiche I think. I think it would have been even more OP if I had some nice hero loot to go along with the build.

Edit to add: Ada won a role contest run by Jormyr, but I didn't end up getting any reward. I'm a bit curious what the planned reward would've been: I expect it would've just been a minor edge or something, but it's always nice to have a little "special snowflake" feature for your character.
130863, Very disappointed!
Posted by Zugnu on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I was just about starting to get a hang of how I wanted to fight you, and you gotta go and disappear like that! Boooooo.