Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subject(CON LOSS) [BATTLE] Grembolin Stonefist the Indomitable Army of One, Mason of the Paragon
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=130247
130247, (CON LOSS) [BATTLE] Grembolin Stonefist the Indomitable Army of One, Mason of the Paragon
Posted by Death_Angel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Thu Feb 9 13:45:29 2017

At 6 o'clock AM, Day of the Moon, 28th of the Month of Winter
on the Theran calendar Grembolin perished, never to return.
Race:svirfnebli
Class:warrior
Level:51
Alignment:Neutral
Ethos:Chaotic
Cabal:BATTLE, the BattleRagers, Haters of Magic
Hours:351
130266, RE: (CON LOSS) [BATTLE] Grembolin Stonefist the Indomitable Army of One, Mason of the Paragon
Posted by Tronimal on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Alright, so this was a really great character for me, and by far the funnest I have played yet.. Balgrum coming in a close second. I learned a ton, and feel like I improved my PK game considerably. I learned how to be aggressive, and how to take dying in stride. And boy oh boy, did I die. I am curious about numbers, and will have to pick up the PBF some day to see what kind of PK stats I ended up with, but I feel like I killed at least as many people as times I died. Lots of early PK and mobdeaths figuring out the build. I had a lot of reservations about the warrior class and melee in general, since I am still relatively new and prep knowledge has never been at the top of my list for learning. (Nothing seems more tedious to me than gathering preps, esspecially the hard to get limited ones...) I built Grem to be pretty self sufficient and just be able to dive axes first into PK at any time. I was totally NOT disappointed, and recommend pincersvirf to anyone who thinks melee isn't for them. I was axe/fist spec, and honestly I almost never used my fists, but I picked the spec as disarm protection. I took Gates/Cry as legacies, and if I were to do it again, I might ditch cry for fires, or something else defensive. About 20 hours from condeath I received space as a third legacy, which was super cool, and I had considered it initially as my second legacy. It afforded me the ability to switch my tactics up some, and use hook/offhand/disarm to get some extra juice in fights.

I had a couple goals with Grem, and the first was to wrap my head around warrior/melee PK since it intimidated me. I figured ultimately just going out and PKing was going to be the best thing to improve my PK skills overall, and it totally did. It also afforded me some insight into how ragers work, what they are vulnerable to and what they are strong at. Also how to fight warriors in general, since they are among the most populist class in the game. I learned alot about how different specs/legacies work just by fighting lots of different builds, and that has been some really good knowledge to pick up.

A second goal was to explore another religion. Being new here, I have little to no knowledge of the current Immstaff's religions, and I have tried to explore a new religion with each character I have played. Ysaloerye definitely doesn't hold your hand in progressing through her religion, and aside from her helpfile, and what I found in her shrine there wasn't much information to be had, save tidbits in the few interactions I had with her. I really wanted to press on to tattoo and full mason with Grem, despite being sort of discouraged several times in the earlier life, since I couldn't seem to glean any information about what that actually means! Well turns out I was trying to make it more complicated than it needed to be, and after two attempts at an artful work of stone that I felt gave insight into Grem's beliefs, I managed to finish not long before condeath. As a new player, I can say this much - participating in the religions of Thera is absolutely a great way to really flesh out your character. I had commited to not writing any roles and didn't have much more than a general idea of who Grem was or where he was going. And religion gave me something to focus on from an RP point of view.

My third goal was to trigger Murphy and gut as many filthy mages as possible!

Okay, so I had so many great interactions and classy foes and friends as Grem that I am absolutely certain I will leave quite a few out here. Please don't be offended, and feel free to remind me if I left you out!

Oxias - You are freakin' awesome man. I had such a great time developing our relationship in the village and all the little contests and ribbing each other. You have a great build, and I wish in hindsight I was axe/flail spec! That entwine is just epic, not to mention eyejab! I would have got way more mileage out of flails than fists. Nothing but good things to say about you, and you beat me to mageslayer... my only regret condying before making it there myself! I sincerely hope you get Commander, as you totally deserve it. You are super present, knowledgable, and all in all a real asset to the village. Best of luck to you my friend.

Gragon - Man you were awesome too, I had really high hopes for you and knew you were very competant even when you first approached about my recommendation. Your RP was hillarious, and we developed some great banter right off the bat. Ribbing the newbies as Zinszar shows them around the village is still a highlight of my days as Grem. Bummed you deleted right off, but understand if it just ain't fun, you gotta find something that is. GLWY up and coming. Can't wait to see what you do with him.

Kirrakar - Man we were super close coming up the ranks together in our youth, and you were around alot of the same times as me. Always felt a kind of brotherly bond with you. You had a weird build though, and I think I understand why you lost interest after the rites. Bummer. Hope whatever you are playing now is much more fun!

Zinszar - You are great too man, we haven't had a ton of interactions as our playtimes seem about opposite, but when we were both around you were always fun to talk with. Seem very competant, and have been a great Drillmaster in my eyes. Best of luck to you man.

Crastus - You are awesome dude, glad to see you back around. You disappeared for a while. Love your RP, and you are super competant and fun to have around. Keep on truckin' man.

Forties:

Sephira - Bah!! You were a great sport, and damnit did I want to wear your hide! I don't think I ever got you... you managed to get away convulsing about 6 times! Bastard. Bummed you deleted, you were really solid for the fort.

Brondalorm - You were fun while you were around. Damn your rage deletes. There were times where I wanted to fight you for picking on all my evil village friends! But I wanted to help you against the odds, and those Imperial bastards more!

Ruqyarm - You were cool, and helpful, and seemed to have a good head on your shoulders. Liked working together when we could. Keep up the good work.

Probably forgetting a few here.

Empire:

Nazarates - Damnit you were a tough SOB. That sigil + throw was just svirf destroyer. I was so relieved when you deleted. Overall super classy, and that stoneform amulet sure made you tough as nails. Plus you parried and dodged my axes like crazy... that BUKI is seriously underrated.

Glikhardiz - Well, love hate relationship with you dude. You were by far my most challenging opponent. You are obviously super skilled, and one tough nut to crack. I had a ton of respect for you up until the end there. You seemed to take that 6 v 1 defeat as some sort of personal insult to your skill (the only time I managed to seal the kill on you by the way..). I didn't even loot anything but a bloodstone ring from your super shiny hell/st suit. Mostly because I had no idea what any of that gear was and most of it was magic. Then you turned around and for the next two weeks talked a ton of ####, ganked me and full looted me? I'm not sure what you were trying to prove, since it was pretty apparent you outclassed me, but it was a #### move and made me immediately regret not full looting you and destroying your sick set when I finally got that kill on you. I will say to your credit, up until that point our fights had stayed super classy, even if you did bring 4 people in most cases to gank me. And you usually never looted anything. Maybe you were drunk that day? I'll chalk it up to that your feelers were hurt because you got killed by a newb in a fight that you definitely shouldn't have lost and leave it at that.

Selena - Well, your a great Out of Range healer. You saved more imperial lives than any other imperial in my lifetime. However, I am of firm belief that healers should be restricted to only healing people in their PK range and only supporting in the same cases. It's #### to have some level sitting healer noone can touch sancing 5 man gank teams and healing out of combat. If you were hero, you would have been public enemy number one. Meh, all in all aside from my personal gripes about your playstyle, you were classy and competant... so theres that. Probably about time to hit hero range though, don't you think?

Zagaer - Well, mr. ganky bard... I know some folks got banned recently for perma... but how you and Glikhardiz aren't considered a perma sure boggles my mind. I think I saw you maybe 3 times log in where the Emperor wasn't online, or didn't log in 5 minutes after you. Kudo's on that final kill though. You took my overconfidence and used it against me. I was fully expecting Glikhardiz to log in midfight and come gank me though :) Aside from your seeming coordinated logins, you were classy to some extent, and seemed at least very competant as a bard. I have zero sympathy for your distraction rant on officials tho, considering your playstyle :)

Kromps - You good Sir, are the inevitable choice for the next War Master, if you don't delete or condie first. Super classy, always willing to fight and just a great vibe all around. Loved our battles, and you seem like you are getting a feel for your build finally. It's quite a bit stronger than what I believe were your previous incarnations. You seem to be improving alot, and I got nothing but respect for you!

Prasidia - We didn't interact a ton, but we had a few fights and you were always SUPER challenging. We both know what happened with the emperor dying wasn't explicitly your fault. Really it was my lucky day more than anything. You were easily the most competant talent the Empire had aside from Glik, and I was always worried about a fight with you not going my way. Glad you took Anathema in stride and honestly it was probably the one thing that weakened the empire the most was losing you. Gotta make room on the council for a 4 man perma tho, so you know how it goes..

Cracatua - Liked you, assassins always scare me... something about getting jumped at any moment, assassinated, or stalked and MT thrown to death that just... makes a guy paranoid. Somehow I always managed to get lucky in our fights but, I was fully scared of you after my experience with Naz.

Scarab:

Malchazzar - God damn you were a beast. Easily the most feared character in my year here, for several of my characters. You just made every fight look ridiculously easy for you, and man... nothing but respect. Some great RP as Balgrum, More great RP as Ebrithyl, and still going strong as Grem. Glad to see you HeroIMM. You are great for the game... extremely good PK and RP to back it up. Doesn't get much better. Plus... you did drow STSF axe spec way better than Glik :)

Venara - Well, obviously really competant, and you certainly had a great team beside you. I wasn't a huge fan of your RP, and you never really seemed to eager for a fight at hero unless you had Malch and Ikoxus at your side.. I did have some fights with you when you were level sitting in your 30's as Ebrithyl, and I was totally surprised by some of the tactics you used. You seemed alot more eager to fight 1v1 in those ranks, and that probably has something to do with a bards power peak. All in all, great character. Curious to see where you go with HeroIMM.

Ikoxus - You were tough as hell. Totally willing to mix it up 1v1 at all times, and for the most part always had me on the run. Which hasn't been my experience with other invokers... Was a bummer you deleted, as you were probably among the most competant invokers I have seen. Nothing but props to you, classy, great RP and skilled to boot.

Undaraxyl - Well someone said you are the least scary mummy they have ever fought, but I don't buy it. I was ALWAYS scared to fight you. You just got me in so many tough situations where I thought I had the drop on you and totally didn't. You were extremely classy as an opponent, and tough too boot. Glad to see you got promoted to Flame, and super stoked our fight was among my last, and I finally came out victorious! Nothing but respect man!

Sephiteth - Loved our fights man, that Rhino is one tough bastard. Everytime I fought you I knew it could easily be either one of us dying, or even both with that damn bleeding. I knew when we fought that it was always to the death! Your awesome, classy, and great for the mud. Mad props.

Outlander:

Panitorop - I had a bad habit of calling you Pantisdrop on CB, which I found funny, but joking aside you were a beast! Love hate relationship. Sure did love when you would show up without the mage to help defend against the imperial gank squad. Those overheads were brutal. I sure hated it when you used them on me while trying to cut down that stinking mage! Bummed you deleted, seemed like you were on a roll...GLWYN

Zoenad - Man, you are a tough bastard too. Outlander invoker is just like the master trap setter. I haven't seen another invoker use terrain and gel/pits/webs/deadfalls and everything you had in your arsenal so effectively before. Always good fights with you. You make a really scary and effective nightreaver. Good job.

bah... getting lengthy..

One or two more and appolgies for those I missed.

Patab - You are freakin' scary, and persistent. That wolverine/komodo combo is nasty. Just as scary as a rhino almost. You seem quite skilled, and I think that what alot of players don't realize about fighting ragers, you seem to understand. And that is you have to be persistent and super aggressive. You were both, and I was always worried fighting you that I was going to end up dead! Kudos, keep it up... and solve those damn equations dude. I'm just waiting to see more of what Entropy has to offer!
130267, Edit to add.
Kanlax - You were a great teacher over about 3 different characters of mine. Super knowledgeable and showed me a few things I didn't know about before. Great RP, and love the uncaballed Knight thing you have going on. You make centaurs look appealing as a race :) Thanks for trying to show me the octagonal tower before I bit the dust, even if that badass wolf did triplock me hard! Keep it up, great character for the game!
130269, You want to know what's scary?
Posted by Zoenad on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
When your pillar of heaven does a mutilate!

You were tough so I mostly just dropped traps to trip you up and soaked damage while panitorop did the real work. I also though the same thing about his name.

Sorry I have been sparse lately, just moved and am getting settled in, you did make mornings interesting and best of luck with your next.
130271, I have a suggestion for your next character
Posted by Oxias D on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Zannon's favorite: Village wood-elf scout bard tragic preferred 😃

Shameless I know!
130272, Shameless! I know we would have been an entirely different village with a bard!
>Zannon's favorite: Village wood-elf scout bard tragic
>preferred 😃
>
>Shameless I know!

Honestly don't think I could pull off a bard, let alone village bard. I was typically on alone alot of my login time as Grem, and I don't think thats the kind of environment a village bard thrives, as a support. But, I don't know #### about bards either :)
130274, I think you'll just have to try a bard and decide for yourself
They aren't always necessarily a support class. Village scouts especially. But yeah they've been gimped by the edge point changes. Whether it's your next or not you should try one and make the call for yourself. Don't just buy in to the notion they are support classes. Look up some PBFs. There have been some super deadly ones.
130275, RE: I think you'll just have to try a bard and decide for yourself
Posted by Retan on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I would second this. While bard may be gimped a bit they are still very viable. Maybe hard for kill sealing, but viable none the less. For my first Villager I would love to do a bard. Don't listen to the haters, try it for yourself.
130277, RE: (CON LOSS) [BATTLE] Grembolin Stonefist the Indomitable Army of One, Mason of the Paragon
Posted by Prasidia on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I have yet a long way to go so wont say to much.

But 100% well done! You are really moving in leaps and bounds and this was another example. I thought everything for your last couple of con was very fitting. The title, the extra legacy and finally the echoes when you kicked the bucket.

GLWYN
130291, RE: (CON LOSS) [BATTLE] Grembolin Stonefist the Indomit...
Posted by Kromps... on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Thanks for your words...im working each time better... i think at least...see ye around...Grembolin
130298, RE: (CON LOSS) [BATTLE] Grembolin Stonefist the Indomitable Army of One, Mason of the Paragon
Posted by Gragon on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Hey - great job all around. I thoroughly enjoyed your villager, and I had a lot of fun with our RP as well. One of the reasons I like villager and specifically dwarf/duergar villager is the opportunity for dirty RP! The village can often become a dirty raucous place - and it is awesome when it does. Don't sweat Glik's comments at all - he is just very thin skinned, and it unfortunately bleeds everywhere IC/OOC. You did awesome.
130324, Buggar!
Posted by Ysaloerye on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You were, I would say, an OK villager on average. By that I mean at times you fluctuated from being a stellar villager who could have been on the list for DM, to a WTFBBQ villager who I might have booted, had it not been for your other high points.
If you go villager again I'd advise you to think about those things you did with Grem that garnered you positive interaction and rewards, and shed the behaviors that went the other-way.
You have the potential, based on your high points to be a pillar-worthy villager at some point, but you got to leave griping behind, especially forum bitching.

On the whole you did improve over your lifespan. I did see you struggling with the religion, part of it I think was you hadn't really understood what it's about. In the end you got to a point where the tattoo was warranted, although I am not sure you would have progressed further, I hoped you would get a better idea of how you might come at the religion again.

I thought the con would help you live long enough to at least get some fun out of the tattoo. You seemed to enjoy Grem and I always enjoyed seeing you and Oxias go to town.

GLWTN
130299, RE: (CON LOSS) [BATTLE] Grembolin Stonefist the Indomit...
Posted by Patab on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Svirf RBWs are never fun to fight against, and you are definitely not an exception. Excellent job, and it confused me a bit because i thought you had more years of CF under your belt than you actually have, but then you didn't seem great at chasing me around ostagliath, so i was definitely thrown a curveball there.

Regardless, congrats on the great char! Much respect.
130287, (CON LOSS) [BATTLE] Grembolin
Posted by Kirrakar on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You kicked ass.

Kirrakar only needed to be around (strange build and all) in case you decided you wanted to F the world while you were kicking ass.

Your PBF should include your inventory, and that inventory should include a stuffed bear.

Your song is: https://youtu.be/0IUV-QxwlRM
130273, RE: (CON LOSS) [BATTLE] Grembolin Stonefist the Indomitable Army of One, Mason of the Paragon
Posted by Wabailla on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I saw in the logs that you were using that Earthquake up to your death. Is it the same one I gave you when you were like level 18 or something, right around your induction? That would make me smile.

Thought you were good, seems I was right, glad we brought you into the cabal. You should play a second now, now that you have learned the cabal and warrior play. A very different type of character (different race, different specs, or maybe assassin, whatever) and I think you'll find that you'll enjoy it even more as you'll know the ropes from the beginning and can be deep into the #### from day one.

You and Oxias were the two young ones I really liked, glad to see you both did well for yourselves.
130276, RE: (CON LOSS) [BATTLE] Grembolin Stonefist the Indomitable Army of One, Mason of the Paragon
Well, I had that burrow wardens mithril axe you gave me for quite some time. I didn't end up with Earthquake until alot later.. after I had heroed, but I did manage to hold onto both of those axes for most of my life.. and they were about the best axes ever since I fought a ton of drows :P I lost them both a few times after dying to imperial ganks, but they always found their way back to me. I will absolutely be playing another villager at some point. I had a blast, and it was easily the most PK action I have seen across all my characters. It's time to give something else I haven't tried a whirl, and learn the ins and outs of some new cabals, new religions and just change of pace for a bit. But I think at this point battle will remain one of my favorite cabals, and I will totally be coming back to try something else... who knows, maybe a Bard.. but I think I will wait until edge points get some love before I venture down that road. I only managed 3 more or less flavor edges on Grem, and not one of them was a high cost edge. I can't imagine trying to play a build that required more than one expensive edge in the current meta. Battle just really fits my playstyle.. I don't have to run all over the world after preps, I don't have to worry about jacking myself up with 8 potions before every fight... it's just plug and play and that suits me to a T. Thanks for the Induct, and sorry I forgot to mention you in my goodbyes, you were great as Drillmaster, and I was bummed when you deleted because you were a solid presence.
130255, Those echoes are brilliant.
Posted by Kanlax Eldraugh on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
My apologies for getting you killed in that trip-happy place.

I was thinking: should I rescue him? But I would have to rescue you 6 times, and it wouldn't shield you from being tripped (thanks Valg!), and being rescued lags you two rounds so I just hoped you had the sense and/or ability to flee on your own... when I saw the whirl I knew that wasn't the case.

I also didn't know you were so close to condeath. From the outside, it seemed like you were killing way more than you were dying.
130252, RE: (CON LOSS) [BATTLE] Grembolin Stonefist the Indomitable Army of One, Mason of the Paragon
Posted by Orsil on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Had some good conversations with you! We didn't fight much be I was at a loss when we did. Great Character and I loved the Echos! GLWYN
130250, So glad you made it longer than you thought!
Hey terrific job. I mean absolutely terrific. It's going to be lonely around the Village now. I got pumped to see you log in or were already on when I did. I knew fun times were ahead. Needless to say Grem and Oxias were super tight. I hope you got some echoes because you deserved it big time.

Fantastic Villager in my opinion. All the little competitions were fun and no matter what you always seemed to bag the ones I didn't (see mummy today). It's kind of funny because Oxy definitely saw you as an elder brother but at the end there I think I closed the gap on the hours. I remember thinking to myself when I saw your score in the log against the Imperial horde "crap I don't think I can call him old man anymore!" That log was awesome by the way. We had a stand or two ourselves against long odds and always did super well. I wish there could have been more!

Hope your next is another Villager!
130249, Take care
Posted by Svelgurd on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I hope that last death was a fun ride. I appreciate the help, and conversations. We interacted with more than 1 character, and all I ever saw was a steadfast villager. GLWYN
130251, Oh yes it was n/t
Posted by Ganky bard on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
gr
130248, RE: (CON LOSS) [BATTLE] Grembolin Stonefist the Indomit...
Posted by Sephiteth on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
So, so, sooooo salty! I was out gathering a few toys to give me an edge on you and you up and died on me. A solid "FEH!" to you Sir.

In all honesty though I enjoyed our fights, you were about the only person that'd actually stand toe to toe with me to see who would come out on top instead of just saying Nope! and running for the hills.

Thanks for the good fights and verbal jabbings.

GLWYN,
Meh.