Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subject(RAGE DELETE) [None] Aukhil the Oathbreaker, Hunted by Battle
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=129064
129064, (RAGE DELETE) [None] Aukhil the Oathbreaker, Hunted by Battle
Posted by Death_Angel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Sun Sep 4 17:28:19 2016

At 3 o'clock PM, Day of Thunder, 17th of the Month of the Spring
on the Theran calendar Aukhil perished, never to return.
Race:duergar
Class:warrior
Level:51
Alignment:Evil
Ethos:Neutral
Cabal:None, None
Hours:93
129065, RE: (RAGE DELETE) [None] Aukhil the Oathbreaker, Hunted by Battle
Posted by Jormyr on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Well, I can honestly say I'm disappointed to see this, though not exceptionally surprised.

I honestly did enjoy Aukhil, both when he was doing well as a Rager, and when he wasn't. He was an evil, greedy duergar, and in that he always was consistent. Unfortunately, it just ran a bit afoul of really doing what a rager should be, though I did originally hope Aukhil would come around and get back to rager, but obviously you went with "join the other team" theory right away.

Unfortunately, I wasn't actually around at the immediate time the whole incident happened that started this all, or when you got booted. I spent a day or two hunting through exactly what happened, deciding on the IC punishment, and hoping to find you myself. After we didn't match up right away, I had another Immortal step in so as not to have the punishment happen drastically later.

Short version: You traded a bunch of *unique* magical items to the mage leaders of the mage cabal get your shinies back.

From an RP perspective, there's one thing villagers do with mages/magic. Kill/destroy it. You don't trade with them, you don't make friends with them, they're not scouts, etc. Probably some leeway in a goodie rager trying to talk a mage out of magic, but that's all I can really think of at the immediate moment.

The best assessment I can give is that it very much came across as trading a ton of magical gear for your shiny staff back, which is horrible rager RP. You lost your staff, it sucks, but you don't trade for it back. You take it from their corpse, or it's just SOL.

This is in no way saying people HAVE to full loot, or even loot a mage at all (though in all honesty, you really have to admit that there's a point where you probably SHOULD be sacrificing their uber-awesome magic stuff). RP that you didn't have time to bother going through their corpse, or that their trinkets are worthless (since obviously you beat them to death anyways), whatever, but if you've taken the time to grab their things (and they're sufficiently rare/powerful), you definitely shouldn't be HANDING their things back to them.

Secondly, once this all happened, it was hard to follow up with you because any RP just oozed player opinion vs. character. To the point where your continued gripe about Scarabs is exactly the same as another recent Battle character. Which, FYI - Jormyr's still a god of war. Jormyr's pointed out a consistency factor, but otherwise his only rule is that you HAVE to fight Nexus. Beyond that convince a Commander. If we're fighting Empire practically 24/7, and Tribunal on random spats, there's no reason we can't fight ANY cabal if a Commander wants to push it the right way.

Anyways, this is long and rambling. Summary - I liked Aukhil, he had consistent roleplay, though it got him in conflict with Ragerness. He received an *ENTIRELY* IC punishment that I was very much hoping might persevere and cause character development. Either striving to return to Ragers OR continuing on the Empire path would both be valid RP, but ultimately you decided the character wasn't worth the effort.

(As an aside, other Immortals and I were just discussing the problems between lack of consequences and/or punishments RP might cause, particularly given the frequent player responses of meltdowns or character deletion)
129066, Agree to disagree.
Posted by Aukhil on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Don't even want to rehash it again.

I'll keep bringing up Battle not being at war with Scarab for as long as Battle isn't at war with Scarab. Nightwalkers are magical demons that seek the destruction of Thera. Nothing visibly changed with their backstory from point A. (scion) to point B. (Scarab). It is ridiculous not to be at war with Scarab and makes no sense IC.

What a waste of time this ended up being, it was clear from the start this character was getting some pretty special negative attention. Frustrating enough that Battle is off my list of cabals to play.
129067, RE: Agree to disagree.
Posted by Umiron on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>What a waste of time this ended up being, it was clear from
>the start this character was getting some pretty special
>negative attention.

You have the right to call it like you see it, but I think Aukhil was actually a good example of a character who, at least at first, took his (deserved) lumps and rolled with them, and at times shined as a result. I wholeheartedly agreed with Team Battle with regards to what you did and was pretty vocal that you needed to be shown the door, but had you handled it like you handled it better I would've continued to have been a fan of Aukhil. Instead, I just tuned him out completely because if it was genuine petty/pouty RP it was too indistinguishable from the player bleeding through for me to tell the difference.

If believing that someone was out to get you somehow makes the whole thing more palatable or allows you to eschew some of the responsibility for the poor RP then fine, I guess, but I'm telling you that wasn't the case and I think the fact that Aukhil was the subject of both praise and disappointment amongst various immortals is some evidence to that fact.

I hope you change your mind about Battle because by and large I was a fan of Aukhil. The incident with Khrozkis (I think it was them) was especially entertaining to watch and that's the kind of "no BS" Rager I think we need more of.

GLWYN.

129068, RE: Agree to disagree.
>Don't even want to rehash it again.
>
>I'll keep bringing up Battle not being at war with Scarab for
>as long as Battle isn't at war with Scarab. Nightwalkers are
>magical demons that seek the destruction of Thera. Nothing
>visibly changed with their backstory from point A. (scion) to
>point B. (Scarab). It is ridiculous not to be at war with
>Scarab and makes no sense IC.

There's actually a rather significant change that's occurred, though it's at a very basic level as well. When it comes down to it, you've spent two characters grumbling about this fact in general, without really addressing the issue directly with the people to actually get something changed. Or if you did w/ the Commander, they decided not to pursue, which is part of the prerogative of Commander.

>What a waste of time this ended up being, it was clear from
>the start this character was getting some pretty special
>negative attention. Frustrating enough that Battle is off my
>list of cabals to play.

I think it's a little more accurate that your character was interesting, and getting attention in general. Your low-hanging fruit title had been updated to something neutral yet unique. When I questioned you on the assassin, you weren't "punished" at any point, just questioned. You also had your warcry set to 100% and as boosted as I've ever seen a warcry, a few bonus immxps, etc.

Just happened to be a character that was a very enjoyable character overall, had some really great Battle moments, and one significant not-so-great Battle moment.
129069, RE: Agree to disagree.
Posted by Kstatida on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Man I think you guys should insert "CF imm for X years" into your CVs. That #### definitely makes you so much more mentally resilient that it deserves a higher payroll.
129070, RE: Agree to disagree.
Posted by TJHuron on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Gwildaththea tried to convince me to declare war on Scarab. My initial reaction was no, there isn't anything really inherently magical about them and they've given me no reason to. She did a good job furthering her argument by pointing out their ties to the nightwalkers and the fact they have a lich cabal guardian and some other things. Good enough that I nearly changed my mind.

I went so far as to have a chat with Jormyr about it and he brought me back to my original stance. While I don't recall the whole conversation what I took away, and what reaffirmed my original opinion, was that Scarab is not focused on magic. The powers they have, while dark and sinister are cabal powers granted to them by Scar, which makes them more closely related to priest powers. Also, their purpose or mission has nothing to do with magic, either. So after that talk I decided not to pursue the matter.

I was surprised to learn it was such a big deal to you. You never approached me about it.

I really liked Aukhil. You had great RP from what I saw. I will admit that after my first interaction with you (and the fruit title) I wondered if you were Jerry returned to the game. You had a real similar vibe to him at times. That isn't meant as an insult from me because I got along great with Jerry characters for the most part. I played tons of hours in battle with him over several characters and got really good at picking him out. Strangely enough, you ended in the same place as a lot of his battle characters.
129071, RE: Agree to disagree.
Posted by Jeede.,. on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
This is very strange to hear, as he never spoke to me, attacked me, or came after any of the Scarabs when I was around.
129072, you
Posted by Beront on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
concentrace on the past too much.

Relax, continue, do you thing with the new char, even that I hate 'that new thing', but it'll be still more productive for CF. GL.
129087, correct me if I am wrong but:
Posted by Sarien on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Were not battle ragers created by the mages of order with the sole purpose of destroying the demons that the mages of chaos summoned? From an RP perspective, you'd think that a battlerager would view a scarab harnessing the powers of chaos demons pretty on-level with general magery.

Just my .02
129088, I assume that's a reply to me.
I actually had to go double-check the specifics of it, but BattleRagers were created by the Mages of Order to combat the Mages of Chaos who were using demons and such, yes. That seems less of a care for the BattleRagers, since it was more or less a job.

After they "won", and went looting and pillaging, the Mages of Order turned on the BattleRagers, seeking aid from Shadow and sending a bunch of demons to kill BattleRagers when they slept. (I would assume this to be the demons Masters could summon, which are super-lame description "A fiery demon from the underworld.")

As much as I can find for info on nightwalkers (and I never was much for a Scion guy), they're neutral ethos (so not typical of demons) and from their own extraplanar place (Plane of Shadow? Maybe? Maybe not, I dunno).

Now, that's about all the facts I could pull up. Beyond that? It's not an argument that's been brought up, so I guess it all depends on what sort of argument a character brings up, who they bring it up to, and how convincing they are in their arguments. There's a different line of logic that has led to not fighting Scarabs, so they'd have to stack up against each other.