Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subject(DELETED) [EMPIRE] Defl the Disciple of Ancient Ways, Elite Imperial Blade
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=126540
126540, (DELETED) [EMPIRE] Defl the Disciple of Ancient Ways, Elite Imperial Blade
Posted by Death_Angel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Thu Dec 3 22:38:45 2015

At 11 o'clock AM, Day of Thunder, 3rd of the Month of the Dragon
on the Theran calendar Defl perished, never to return.
Race:felar
Class:warrior
Level:49
Alignment:Evil
Ethos:Orderly
Cabal:EMPIRE, the Empire
Hours:80
126544, Couldn't make it work...
Posted by Tac on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
And frankly I don't know now (looking back) why I thought it would work. Felar spear spec was pretty disappointing defensively. Honestly spear was disappointing as a spec in general and felar dagger didn't work as well as arial or d-elf... So... just failure.
126545, Don't forget you have staff too
Posted by incognito on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
People regularly use spear when they should be using staff.
126555, I probably didn't get this right all the time
Though I did figure it out somewhat. Felar strength makes carrying spares tough. I was really surprised by how badly spear/staff tanked compared to say dual wielding assassin. With the relative uselessness of crescent, and leverage and the difficulties in getting misdirect to work it really felt like an impale spec... and impale just isn't enough -stats to turn a fight (directly).
126561, After playing a recent hero spear spec...I concur with this statement.
Posted by TMNS on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I went Elf STSF...and I was sadly disappointed that a sword spec could easily not only out-damage me...but grossly out-tank me. Was sad.
126562, My view on the spec
A bit lacklustre but:

Good utility with long duration bleeding, to wreck opponents regen.

Spec with two weapons so can more often choose one the enemy doesn't know.

Unblockable lag, albeit not the best or most reliable.

I've never understood crescent but crushing pugil seemed nice when it broke my bones.
126566, Counterpoints... as I experienced them at least
And I'm far from the best warrior player, so take with grain of salt.

>Good utility with long duration bleeding, to wreck opponents
>regen.

This isn't as useful as you'd think when you are getting destroyed during the melee aspect. It's also mostly useful against people who can't go get back hp otherwise, which seemed very few.

>Spec with two weapons so can more often choose one the enemy
>doesn't know.

Yes, but neither are very light. Seriously the imperial spear is too heavy to be wielded by a felar. So it isn't like daggers where you can afford to carry half a dozen extras. I'm thinking spears/staffs weight more on average than swords, which is wrong (they're also made out of very breakable stuff)

A quick glance through the item search suggests that indeed spears and staffs weight more than swords on average (with notable outliers)

>Unblockable lag, albeit not the best or most reliable.

This I'll give you, but the inability to start combat makes it very lackluster, and it isn't like there is a glut of invokers around, so there are plenty of (better) options.

>I've never understood crescent but crushing pugil seemed nice
>when it broke my bones.

I assume this is str based and as such sucked with felar, but I agree it was nice.

Overall I felt similar to TMNS... Basically that I would have tanked better and done more damage and generally been tougher as a sword spec (obviously not felar). I thought I'd make up for that with dagger+spear stat loss, but frankly it too too long and was too punishing on failures to work. Missed hamstring? Take a hit. Missed artery? Take a hit. Missed stab? Take a hit. Missed impale? Take a hit.

I also feel like impale bleeding got toned down, but that is probably my misremembering.

I don't entirely want to #### on the spec, but when I'm getting out meleed by *most* of the people I'm fighting and I've specifically taken a defense spec... well I feel a little cheated.

I don't mean to totally #### on the spec, but it was pretty disappointing. Thrust (not even a spec skill) was probably the *most* useful skill I had.
126567, Impale screw mana regen too
Useful for retrieving when a shaman is trying to stop you, for example. Keep him bleeding and he'll have to choose between skipping some supps and giving up, after a while.
126576, Oh...we aren't saying Impale isn't useful...but an example.
Two options:

Option 1) Spear spec. Impale. If landed, hits for a DEMO (if high str) to MASSACRE (low str), lowers stats and causes bleeding for 8 hrs. If miss, take full damage strike. Lags two rounds.

Option 2) Mace spec. Boneshatter. If landed, hits for DEVA (if high str) to MANGLE (low str), lowers stats MORE than impale...and WITH AN EDGE IT CAN CAUSE BLEEDING. If miss, only lag.

Now...on just that...you might think impale is better...but then, mace has cranial (lag + opener + Potential sleep...whereas spear/staff have can only offer lag) and DRUM (weak flurry that only lags user 2 rounds and can offer trip lag to opponent...yeah, spear/staff has nothing on that).

On just the merits of the spec's special skills...Mace is significantly better than spear/staff. Now, what is supposed to mitigate this is you are supposed to be a tanking god...but I am not going to lie...mace doesn't defend a whole lot worse than spear or staff. For reals. I have tons of logs fighting the Soul of Veran to prove this.
126580, This.... exactly this. nt
126583, I personally don't like spear spec but
Cranial is easy to counter. Misdirect, I've never discovered a counter.

>Two options:
>
>Option 1) Spear spec. Impale. If landed, hits for a DEMO (if
>high str) to MASSACRE (low str), lowers stats and causes
>bleeding for 8 hrs. If miss, take full damage strike. Lags
>two rounds.
>
>Option 2) Mace spec. Boneshatter. If landed, hits for DEVA
>(if high str) to MANGLE (low str), lowers stats MORE than
>impale...and WITH AN EDGE IT CAN CAUSE BLEEDING. If miss,
>only lag.
>
>Now...on just that...you might think impale is better...but
>then, mace has cranial (lag + opener + Potential
>sleep...whereas spear/staff have can only offer lag) and DRUM
>(weak flurry that only lags user 2 rounds and can offer trip
>lag to opponent...yeah, spear/staff has nothing on that).
>
>On just the merits of the spec's special skills...Mace is
>significantly better than spear/staff. Now, what is supposed
>to mitigate this is you are supposed to be a tanking god...but
>I am not going to lie...mace doesn't defend a whole lot worse
>than spear or staff. For reals. I have tons of logs fighting
>the Soul of Veran to prove this.
126549, Liked you as an enemy.
Seemed competent. I almost had you with an ookie-doke but you were smart enough not to stack commands (and without masochism to clear your buffer...so proud) and you GTFO like a champ.
126556, I'd like me an an enemy too :P
I don't know when to quit and I'll usually try at least once even when I know I can't win...