Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subject(DELETED) [SCARAB] Aldon Darl the Whisper
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=126121
126121, (DELETED) [SCARAB] Aldon Darl the Whisper
Posted by Death_Angel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Wed Nov 4 23:14:49 2015

At 2 o'clock PM, Day of the Great Gods, 26th of the Month of the Battle
on the Theran calendar Aldon perished, never to return.
Race:human
Class:thief
Level:42
Alignment:Evil
Ethos:Chaotic
Cabal:SCARAB, the Cult of the Scarab
Hours:101
126137, This just makes my day
Posted by Torak on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
From Olachemet's PBF:

Wed Oct 28 15:34:02 2015 by 'Scarabaeus' at level 40 (127 hrs):
Aided Aldon in a raid against Outlander, but Aldon did not show up for the kill. O told Aldon not to waste his time. Aldon killed him. O reported Aldon to Tribunal.
126123, Well I'll make this short
Aldon was a courageous idea to come back into Scarab as a scary thief with night terrors.... and what came out of it was a harmless kitten that I couldn't just get into the RP idea since it wasn't really fun (I wanted a "tick" like snapping my fingers and stuttering). It felt cheesy doing it and it was probably cringeworthy to watch.

I've done binders before - and each time, I try and remember what was going through my mind that I wanted to torture myself again. I even wrote a write-up 4+ years ago and the class hasn't changed at all since I played Zakuun so I'm not sure what I was thinking (http://forums.carrionfields.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=6&topic_id=39455&mesg_id=39455&listing_type=search). I understand after an email conversation with Umiron that "binders gamble big" but I still feel that all fear of binders is completely unfounded. They're rated only above the arcane path for being murderous and I think the first binder of all time was Iltch and they're 20+ something down the list - and that was seven years ago from a decked out proc-heavy thief picking on ragers by dragging them into places he could recall from but they had to suicide in. The fact that garrotte fails regularly with a reuse timer, and then you have bind legs and bind hands which both fail regularly even perfected, and can only be tried once (imagine a necro only getting to try crimson scourge or forget once), then assuming the stars align you have to truss... which at level 42 was lasting 6 hours. Did I mention that shapeshift, vanish, or ANY commune works while trussed? If any of those core 3 fail, your entire path became pretty useless. In the 100 hours for this character I got 2 characters fully trussed, one I couldn't get him from North Galadon road to the Maus before he woke up despite using enlarge pills and then reinforcements arrived, and the other was a poor goblin that I was picking on and actually got the kill (although an elf paladin almost ruined all of that). My kills purely came from bad players who died to trip without cheapshot or were caught unawares with a nightwalker... binding attributed to almost none of my kills - bleh. To anyone who thinks "binders are absolute death" then I encourage someone to explain how sleep+forget or the power of assassinate/pwk/cleave/etc is any different. Binders work an absolute ton for payoff maybe once in a blue moon - when your standard thug or poisoner or anything else is much more scary. Lithodora nearly two-rounded me and I've seen many other (and have played) scarier thieves to have around. Binder thieves are really a joke.

In a cabal with a bunch of badass solo chars (Flame, voice, Corthoze, Cainasir)... here comes probably one of my worst pk chars to date. I kind of also ####ed up the build - Tormenting Bully takes gutshot... and not sucker hit. I was betting on needing Devious Versatility once (which I still couldn't get) and now needed it twice (had adv picklock for ST and gentle walk and nothing else) - just to get sucker hit and parting block. Yeah, I ####ed up.

So that's that. Most people probably hate thieves because well... they steal, and this one couldn't kill a fly so I usually stole stuff, they woke up, and I ran away. Great scarab /sarcasm. Before I turned out as the roleplay focused "special" scarab thief who sucked balls, I ended it.

Shoutouts to Jormyr for the short intro chat... had hopes our next would have gone well considering Olachemet's complete death spiral :) Thanks Jeede for the shot, sorry to leave ya but I wasn't really adding much.

I'll figure something out to try - peace.
126124, Sorry it didn't work out.
Posted by Gaplemo on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You seemed excited for this one and I know you were really into the roleplay. From everything I saw in character, you were a well roleplayed bastard. I wore my girdle anytime I saw you get on for sure, I knew better than to let you get your hands on it.

Good luck on the next go round, wish we got to fight it out more than just that one time.
126125, Gl with your next and just a small question.
Posted by mharlndarn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I see alot of complains from you on qhcf about levelsitting assassins. But wait, you just had the thief and the way to deal with them. Also, you were nice in your farewells to Cain and he is one of the current lvlsit inc@. I don't get it :(

And come on, unban me there. I want to complain too. :)
126126, Huh?
I got absolutely beaten senseless with Aldon from Yinasir, Hirleu and Cainasir would have but he figured out I wanted to join Scarab. Fully bound, they can vanish to get away and with bare hands still kick your ass. I woke up I think Yinasir with sleepingdisarm and I nearly died to the lag of that plus throw, with an aura scroll on. Assassins are walking death machines in the mid 30s... Cainasir I felt at least roleplayed it better than the others, but hey, he's a mute assassin who got a rolecontest and a title ;)

One of my last deaths was to Hirleu stopping me from tying up an elf (yehaw, initiate berserkers get to chase the scarab thief around) and he killed me in 2-3 rounds and promptly destroyed probably 200g worth of preps and took my 3 nice items because "hey, #### you, you took my girdle with food once".

I still think assassins are too strong in the midranks and it evens out at hero but that's me. The fact all three were using pressure point edged out should be a sign...
126127, Well
Posted by mharlndarn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I thought binders are more about - bj @target - call gank. Especially, when you have one of those assassins on your side. You could just gank the #### out of them or let them eat each other?
126128, Scarabs don't really call in ganks
It's a pretty bad weakness to require that to do your duty. My last binder did that a lot (Zakuun I think has one of the highest gank ratios ever) but a Scarab, not so much. That and Cainasir or the others are completely capable of doing it alone (and a lot of times I watched him hunt, I just left him to it).
126129, Some thoughts
Posted by incognito on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Don't these skills work better as you complete the path and improve on the higher level skills too? As in, perfecting skills beyond bind legs helps with bind legs?

For communers, did you try their recall point so that communing word of recall wasn't an option for them? That's how nererial got destroyed.

In terms of pk I think you need to worry less about it. Scarab cabal doesn't require you to be lethal especially if your class limits you. There have been scarab healers in the past, and not lethal ones.

Your rp seemed interesting. Feels like it could have gone somewhere. I can't help thinking if perhaps a few tricks lie behind a successful binder, potentially requiring more than 100 hrs to figure out? Eg carrying some rope.

Glwyn.
126134, Had rope, most skills 90s or perfected, had the full tree.
Just not my cup of tea, this is my 4th binder hero.... and my last.
126131, Vanish
Posted by Assassin on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You can't vanish while trussed.
126132, Only thing I can think of he missed the echo of them wearing off in combat. n/t
Posted by Lhydia on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
gr
126122, That was fast
Posted by Cordoze on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Sorry to see this after you spent all that time getting in. Good luck with your next.