Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subject(DELETED) [FORTRESS] Sioph Cal'antulien the Grand Mistress of Changelings
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=125267
125267, (DELETED) [FORTRESS] Sioph Cal'antulien the Grand Mistress of Changelings
Posted by Death_Angel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Mon Aug 10 11:45:39 2015

At 11 o'clock AM, Day of Freedom, 4th of the Month of the Heat
on the Theran calendar Sioph perished, never to return.
Race:half-elf
Class:shapeshifter
Level:51
Alignment:Good
Ethos:Chaotic
Cabal:FORTRESS, the Fortress of Light
Hours:85
125276, RE: (DELETED) [FORTRESS] Sioph Cal'antulien the Grand Mistress of Changelings
Posted by Bertrame on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Ugh...was hoping to see you rise with in the Cabal. And you had the RP done to help me with the Spark. Agree that the powers that come with Acolyte are not the greatest. Especially Curse of Radiance.
125280, RE: (DELETED) [FORTRESS] Sioph Cal'antulien the Grand Mistress of Changelings
Posted by Sioph on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Thanks. Hope gave way to reason in this case. Thanks, I'm glad you thought my RP was there, but after 80 hours, I wasn't there anymore. I was more bitter and frustrated than I was ... all hopeful that Baer was gonna decide I'm cool enough to be full aco.

Its not the Acolyte 'powers' per se, like curse of radiance. Sure, curse of radiance would be super helpful in slowing a shaman down or something... it's not game breaking, but that's not really what my gripe was. I know Acolyte powers blow, but still rolled one anyway.

My gripe is when you get Altruism. This should be a skill scribes learn at level 15. It is integral to the RP of a scribe, in my opinion and experience.

A scribe/acolyte not having altruism is like a solider training for war without bullets and being forced to shout 'bang' instead. It is draining on the moral, and you just feel stupid not being able to play your role and do your 'job'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3185723/Soldiers-forced-shout-bang-bang-training-ammunition-shortages-Dutch-army.html

I know my death-thread isn't going to suddenly change the IMM's mind on this. It's not like reading this they are going to turn to each other and say, "Yeah, Sioph is totally right, lets change that right now!" It's just not happening.

I just wanted to explain to YOU, Bert. :) GL. See you around, maybe.

125281, RE: (DELETED) [FORTRESS] Sioph Cal'antulien the Grand Mistress of Changelings
Posted by Lithodora on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I liked Sioph and was hoping you'd stick around.

I'll go out on a limb and say there's more to being an Acolyte than just healing people with altruism. In fact, I'd say that's not even their most important job.
125282, RE: (DELETED) [FORTRESS] Sioph Cal'antulien the Grand Mistress of Changelings
Agreed. This is like my 10th Acolyte - including a past leader of Dawn, and a leader of the Fortress.

You are 100% correct, It's not about healing people, believe me, I know... but it is certainly the most tangible action you can take. I understand the point of the role is the RP. Really. I do.

Maybe I just wasn't ready to play the role. I broke my CF fast with something 'safe'... In the meantime, I'll play a different cabal where promotions to use cabal powers are decided by other players, or aren't needed at all.

I liked you as well, BTW. Awesome Thief. :)

125286, Curse of radiance is amazing!
Posted by incognito on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
It lags and hurts anyone trying a maladict spell. And that means they can't spam sleep and are more vulnerable.
125269, Was fun, sorta.
I played with the intention of breaking a long CF fast, having no role, going with the flow, and even completely crashing and burning the character if the RP took it in that direction, e.g., going Squire/Maran, going Herald/bum/Uncaballed, or just being an overly aggressive scribe (which I think I was - kinda).

Turns out I got very bored before any of that happened. I got very tired, very fast, of fighting people with all their cabal powers, i.e., healing curse, black channel, deathblow, etc... and I had... favor of the sun - which was dispelled round 1 anyway.

The RP flavor of a Scribe without altruism is just dumb, and more frustrating/not fun than it should be. The only 'fun' part of scribe-hood is being able to throw yourself on the proverbial sword for the sake of RP. Without altruism, you are just a ####ty cheerleader who is annoying. You may have your own opinion, but that is mine.

I guess the final straw was seeing the imperial war master delete with about the same hours (80ish) as I had into Sioph, and I remembered, again, why I hate playing fortress.

/s
Curse of radiance and altruism are totally OP and have no business being in the game anymore. They should be removed completely... because there is absolutely NO reason a hero char with 80+ hours should be able to have those powers. Unreasonable. Screw those powergamers.
/s

See you all in the fields, maybe.

Re: Porc

Getting the Porc was good and bad. I've always wanted porc, and when I got it, I was forced into a double defense major for a regen form.

Only good thing about Porc was killing mobs/raiding was a breeze, or the occasional idiot who tried to flurry me. Fairly useless for anything else. Because this char had 0 interest in exploring/looking at crap in rooms for endless hours to farm edges... this was kind of a waste.

Advice for those who get a porc as a defense major. Roll it unless you have a sand lizard, or are already a def/def.

I enjoyed my interactions with most I met.

Standouts where Caecilius, Eliara, Daphedee, Luthantulas, Varnon, and Ghramr. RP was stellar.

Caecilius - I wish you pushed just a little harder in your RP to make me see your ways. I was on the brink of doing something stupid.. just for fun.

Daphedee - great High Herald. I hope you stick it out and login more often. Delete that alt!

Luthantulas - I remember prior to you Imm'ing how awesome your RP was. I wish you luck in your first year as Asguaard. TBH, I'd rather keep you as a player. Thera is a less colorful place without you.

Whoever I missed or otherwise - my bad.

125270, RE: Was fun, sorta.
Posted by Jeede, on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I enjoyed the fights and the banter, you were very hard to pin down being defense defense. I very nearly had you that time in the Inn and ended up cursing my computer because the theatrical setup behind it was too perfect and a landed assassinate would have been brilliant.

Good job defending the fortress, but it turns out you aren't a lion after all ;)
125271, RE: Was fun, sorta.
Posted by Eliara on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Gah, I'll miss you...

I loved your go out and get it done attitude. The only caveat I would make is that you always commenting on how you "wanted to take our pain" but couldn't kinda got in the way I think. It was a bit of a "Hey look at me!" when you really didn't need to, you had everything right, and I think, looking at it, you probably hurt yourself more than you helped with those comments. I wish you the best in your next, And I will really miss our interactions. Great character.
125272, Yeah, about that.
You are right; I think that was the ugly bitterness and frustration shining through.

I guess that was my way of saying, "Hey, person suffering from all kinds of crap! It would be totally awesome if I could help you out and do what I _should_ be doing, but can't, sorry, suffer away while I stand here like a tool and watch you die because apparently Altruism is overpowered and requires me to suck for 20% of my characters life."

See. I just did it again. :)

Good luck!

125284, RE: Was fun, sorta.
Posted by Avderlain on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
There were a couple reasons that you did not get Acolyte as early as you felt that you deserved. One of the main, and the biggest ones, was that I had to come down and essentially explain to you that trying to "destroy evil" is not really what Acolyte is about. You responded well in that discussion/interaction, so after that I was hoping to see you continue to embody it. Sadly, most of the times I saw you after that you just seemed mad that you weren't an Acolyte yet. While you were a pretty good Scribe, you still seemed to be falling just short of being what an Acolyte should be. Sorry it wasn't a fun experience for you, but hopefully the next char will be.
125285, RE: Was fun, sorta.
Yup. I kicked the tires and it didn't feel right!

Sometimes you eat the bar, sometimes the bar eats you.

Sometimes you are the bug, sometimes you are the win..

I think you got it.

:)

Thanks for the interactions/discussion. :)
125287, Good luck with your next!
Posted by Luthantulas2 on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
To Luthantuals you were exactly what he, a Maran, wanted an Acolyte to be. Someone who has his back and who is willing to go into battle with him. I enjoyed your willingness to mix it up with me. Sadly, Luthantulas is not the best Maran (per tenets), and what Luthantulas wants Acolytes to be is almost opposite to what they are supposed to be.

As someone who has been ever so frustrated with being in the waiting queue to be a promoted to full Maran, my advice to surmount it is this... Play the character without any expectation of promotion or knowing there is even a high level you can attain. What I mean is, just play the game for your enjoyment and who your character is. Don't let attaining something out of your control slow you down or derail your fun.

Thank you for the wishes of luck, and don't rule me out as a mortal. I'll be doing my thing along side all of you again before you know it.