Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subject(DELETED) [None] Rutger the Master of Speed
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=124758
124758, (DELETED) [None] Rutger the Master of Speed
Posted by Death_Angel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Sat Jun 27 03:49:59 2015

At 8 o'clock AM, Day of Freedom, 4th of the Month of the Ancient Darkness
on the Theran calendar Rutger perished, never to return.
Race:gnome
Class:shapeshifter
Level:32
Alignment:Neutral
Ethos:Chaotic
Cabal:None, None
Hours:61
124759, lastname Hauer
Posted by Murphy on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Cheers.
124761, RE: lastname Hauer
Posted by Aereglen on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
So you're okay with people using the names of actors, but you're not okay with unique names that you assume with no evidence are a combination of words from the dictionary? If you're going to be the name police, you should at least be consistent.
124763, I'm not okay with either.
But since I can't change it, I'll just poke fun at both.
124764, RE: I'm not okay with either.
Then show some consistency. You chastised some other player for a name you had to rearrange in order to get it to the words that you said were breaking the rules. You said he was wrecking the game for other players because of his name. But this name is letter for letter the exact same as a famous actor's name and all you say is cheers. It just doesn't make any sense to me is all. I'm trying to find ways we players could help make the forums more friendly and welcoming. OOC or not it's part of the game and I think more players would spend more time in the game if all aspects of the game such as the forums were also more welcoming.
124765, No.
Since I see that nobody cares about names anymore, from now on I'm not going to explain to every other guy why their name sucks. I'll just point it out and say cheers.
124766, That's a really good idea.
Thank you. I didn't know that's where were planning on doing from now on. That's the consistency I was talking about. I don't know why you say no when that's exactly what you're doing. Cheers.
124770, well.....
Posted by Odrirg on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
To be fair, the powers that be have never cared much about names.... except in really bad cases.

I myself went through a phase a decade or more ago, where I really let horrible names get to me.

Of course, it was easier to just ignore the worst ones when there are 30-60 people on all the time...

On the unofficial forums, way back then, I posted a few "who"logs...with explanations of how horrible every name was, and it was common to see complaint posts about names....until it got to the point those posts were banned....and we are talking 10-15 years ago....so if it makes you feel any better....Noone ever cared much about naming rules except for a few of us.

Hate to say it...but when the majority of the community doesn't care much, and a few really care....the easiest solution is for those like us to just accept that names will be horrible, and suck it up and drive on.

To give an example of the antiquity of this problem..... I had just read some of the Drizzt books, and am a Tolkien fan...so when a mortal showed up, basically with the name and rp of a character from the Drizzt books...I let his existence piss on my Wheaties. I couldn't stand it...weren't the Imms EVER going to enforce the naming rules?!?

Then the character Immed....and I just had to conclude that...well..the imms must see the naming rules as suggestions, as enforcement has ALWAYS been sketchy.

As time went on, I was able to let go of my dissapointment over crap names.... heck, in time, I came to realize that the imm who's name really broke my enjoyment of the game when he was a mortal, thror, is great at rp...and is a big benefit to the game...and I've had empowered followers and a few tattooed followers of his religion.
124769, lastname Brown
Posted by Athioles on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
n/t