Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subject(RAGE DELETE) [BATTLE] Mordrin the Grand Master of Artistry, Seeker of the Paragon, Dressed by Duergars
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=120980
120980, (RAGE DELETE) [BATTLE] Mordrin the Grand Master of Artistry, Seeker of the Paragon, Dressed by Duergars
Posted by Death_Angel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Mon Jun 9 08:31:18 2014

At 8 o'clock PM, Day of the Moon, 21st of the Month of the Battle
on the Theran calendar Mordrin perished, never to return.
Race:dwarf
Class:bard
Level:51
Alignment:Neutral
Ethos:Chaotic
Cabal:BATTLE, the BattleRagers, Haters of Magic
Hours:126
120993, Cheers!
Posted by Uly on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Was an ugly match-up for me for lots of reasons but felt good to stick to my guns.

I really liked reading your notes and thought your RP was top notch. Shame not enough Battle wannabes came through to make it worth your while (I would definitely have rolled one if I wasn't going for hero!).

GLWN - and I hope there is a N.
120994, Seriously
Posted by Warren on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Yeah, giants are pretty much the only race I had a shot against.

Thanks for the RP compliment. I did the best I could, but still managed to screw up some pretty important aspects of dwarfhood.

It wasn't just the lack of applicants... I essentially got passed up for drillmaster because a dwarf bard can't really kill other villagers. Thus, how can you be a drillmaster.

But yes, I was surprised when you took me up, and Impressed the same.
120995, why not?
Posted by Dallevian on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
you can turn off your songs to where they effect other villagers. that was put in place specifically for the rites like 6 years ago.

although i don't remember the command
120997, RE: why not?
Not like it was a wood-elf bard. Dwarf Bard.

120998, you mean
Posted by Dallevian on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
they weren't strong enough?
120988, Glwyn!
Posted by Ayinithalasa on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Don't know if it's your first bard or just 18chr, but I felt your pain, especially at rites.

It's summer now and people will traditionally play less. Not having much to do is what blows as a rager. As to auto-induct I don't think that it should be that easy.

Play something independent solo, not a support char, and you'd feel better.
120996, RE: Glwyn!
No. I've had a very, very successful bard. But yeah, 18 charisma and 18 dex makes for a very poor matchup against 23/24 dex 24/25 int chars with STSF.

Not talking about auto-induct. Just saying, once you get your kill.. and you get a recommendation.. That's it. Lets go.

It shouldn't be so drawn out with such a low population.

1) Kill Mage - Pledge
2) Talk to Villager 1 - get quest to kill mage.
3) Talk to villager 2 - get quest to kill mage.
4) Talk to drillmaster - get quest to kill mage.
5) Talk to commander - okay, don't let me down son.

Considering there are only 5 active players IN battle, it should be a little less insane.

who pk

There are 0 mages in your pk range.

Oh well.. guess I'll level sit and sit at the bar with the heralds.

120983, RE: (RAGE DELETE) [BATTLE] Mordrin the Grand Master of Artistry, Seeker of the Paragon, Dressed by Duergars
Oh man.

126 Grueling hours. Most of them played from carrionfields.com browser window (no scroll back, no alias, nada).

First: Thanks to Ysal and Baer for the Dwarf Bard love. As painful as it was to play an 18 dex, 18 charisma character, I had fun. :)

Highlights: Pretty much all the time. My character was a walking cliche.

Lowlights: Completely blowing at some more of the more important points of dwarfhood. What an idiot.

I wanted this character to help with a battle comeback. I knew before I even started that I was not going to be a pk powerhouse. That's just not what a dwarf bard is going to be... I wanted to RP my way. I really, really didn't want to explore for obs/exp points for edges.. REALLY didn't want to... but after 126 hours of constant RP. 50 imm xp. = Fail.

Well - the rites came. And even if the new Commander wanted me to be the drillmaster, he couldn't make me one because I couldn't kill a damned villager to save my life. At least that is what he said.

So, the opportunity to bring fresh blood into the village came and went... Next week of logins.. hardly anyone was online. I logged in every day for at least 2 hours. I interviewed new applicants... retrieved the head... and then old commander, new drillmaster Crayya gave them additional tasks of... "Kill more Magi" - Really? You do realize the playerbase is like. 10. Dude. Induct and move on. Why does battle still have this archaic, super long induction process? It worked when there was 80 players, heck, even 40 players... but 20? Times be a changin! The game is at hero, It's not at level 20.

I just was in a total 'fail' mode....I failed at dwarf, failed at Drillmaster, failed at reaching my goals for a restored village. Needless to say, the ebb of daily anguish at things I could not be led to an early suicide.

Sure I could have played out the role, but dammit, it's so nice outside.

Favorites:

Erighan - I really enjoyed our interactions. Especially our first couple of times at the Inn. You were super interesting, and then.. you just stopped that whole line. Wish you would have kept that up!

Moarf - Was really sad to see you go. Hope you come back renewed.

Alyishhjkasdksj - Elf Warrior - You were completely baddass. I had a lot of fun in Yezkon with you. It's so nice to see someone with all the rager items.

Crayya - Induction Process - Was actually really fun. It reminded me of inductions of old. Thanks for that.

Bol/Hrast/Jero - You were all mostly off and on. Hrast is the only one of the three of you I actually saw the most of, hence why I wound up wandering around with him, holding hands and skipping.

I don't believe I've met any of the other villagers. Maybe one or two once or twice.. that's it.

Ulys from the Fortress - I really liked that you stepped out to fight me to defend your friends honor. Even if you died.

Cioh from the Fortress - Another dwarf I got to mince words with. Sorry for coming in and killing people, I know it got to you and it's hard to be a dwarf who hates another dwarf...FWIW I thought you handled it great!

To everyone else... If you write a message, I'll respond.

Mordrin
Rydell
Mirozah
Nerplunket

120984, RE: (RAGE DELETE) [BATTLE] Mordrin the Grand Master of Artistry, Seeker of the Paragon, Dressed by Duergars
Posted by Akresius on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM

>Lowlights: Completely blowing at some more of the more
>important points of dwarfhood. What an idiot.

I can't speak for Ysal, but I would cringe to watch you be buddy-buddy with duergar. For a dwarf, I see that as a big no-no even being in the same cabal. At least you didn't rack up a ton of kin kills, so overall I thought you did ok in terms of your interactions with dwarf NPCs.

Obligatory fine print: No, I have no oversight of the Battle cabal. No, I did not punish Mordrin in any way, shape or form (not even a "negative" comment). My views on dwarf behavior are not representative of the staff as a whole.

>So, the opportunity to bring fresh blood into the village came
>and went... Next week of logins.. hardly anyone was online. I
>logged in every day for at least 2 hours. I interviewed new
>applicants... retrieved the head... and then old commander,
>new drillmaster Crayya gave them additional tasks of... "Kill
>more Magi" - Really? You do realize the playerbase is like.
>10. Dude. Induct and move on. Why does battle still have this
>archaic, super long induction process? It worked when there
>was 80 players, heck, even 40 players... but 20? Times be a
>changin! The game is at hero, It's not at level 20.

I agree with this paragraph except for the last sentence. I immensely enjoy playing characters in the 20s, 30s and 40s, and I see no reason to rush to the hero ranks. If hero ranks are your bag, hey awesome.

Obligatory fine print: No, I did not punish Mordrin in any way, shape or form (not even a "negative" comment) for his leveling. My views on ranking are not representative of the staff as a whole.

120985, Okay. The disclaimer is hysterical.
And you are right.

I kinda looked at the dwarf/duerg thing as.. well, he is in the cabal, we have a common enemy.. and he is one of the 3 other people who log in....Guess I'll do what I gotta do. Including but not limited to help/raid/defend/party.

From a purely RP point of view, I can see how this is the wrong decision. From a purely pragmatic point of view, I can see how it was 'easy' to try and justify this... being in an underdog cabal and trying to raise it up.

120990, Note on ysal following
Posted by lasentia on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Duergar friendship is a big big no-no for most dwarves, but when following ysal that is about the greatest sin there is with her. She always told me, Ysal comes before everything, even the paladin code. I imagine it's no different than with cabal principles, which makes her tough to follow for some people, but totally worth it in my opinion.

Duergs and orcs are about the worst of the worst from a Ysal follower view point as they the natural enemies of dwarves.
At least that is what I recall from my ysal pally days. She would get irate at even the mention of those gully dwarf Shiites.
120987, Good one.
Posted by Guargoux on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I have to admit that at first I thought, dwarf bard battle.. meh, but that was when I forgot to consider, Dern, Battaglia, Thirst, Poncho, DB, double resist, dwarf drunken damage redux edge. All of this, or at least most of it, made you quite interesting to fight and boosted your allies greatly, any time you had one at your side. I was astounded by your damage output once I finally got to see it, rather than the dirge affect. Overall, I think you were doing pretty well and I'm glad to have ran into another of your incarnations, even though it was short lived.

Oh, I'm not overly surprised that you didn't do that well against many of the village because of the overwhelming dex advantage that most of them had on you. A few with abilities that slowly eat away your ability to defend and at the same time, increase their chance at landing hits and thusly, more DB. I have the same problem.

Anyway, I'd like to say, Great char and roll up another.
120999, RE: Good one.
I had fun solo raiding the isle. That last fight we had was great. I wish I had that logged.

The real power this char had was in boosting everyone elses effectiveness, like you said... From an RP angle, this was fantastic.. It's exactly what I wanted to do with the char... but over 126 hours, I just didn't really feel much traction.

Just time to scrap the concept. :)