Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subject(DELETED) [EMPIRE] Nighden the Fist of Darkness, Imperial Dread Lord
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=118966
118966, (DELETED) [EMPIRE] Nighden the Fist of Darkness, Imperial Dread Lord
Posted by Death_Angel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Fri Jan 17 16:44:45 2014

At 1 o'clock AM, Day of Thunder, 24th of the Month of the Shadows
on the Theran calendar Nighden perished, never to return.
Race:fire
Class:anti-paladin
Level:51
Alignment:Evil
Ethos:Orderly
Cabal:EMPIRE, the Empire
Hours:165
119002, Well, that is that.
Posted by Abernyte on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Nighden was an experiment in many ways:

1) First proper Fire AP
2) First proper Imperial
3) First character to actively seek immortal interaction for many years.

Nighden was a special guard in the Rah household but betrayed, to an extent, the Rah he was sworn to protect in favour of his own life. He was a pikeman who later turned to magic and the AP guild, hence his favoured polearm wielded. I wish I had stuck with that but I took advice from other dreadlords and switched to flail and axe/mace. Effective but lost a little bit of Nighden in doing so.

1) I don't think I will be playing a Fire AP again....EVER. I remember in years gone by that a fire AP bash used to be a deal sealer if you got it but with Nighden I felt like a gnome when it came to bashing. It would fail/miss loads on people who were writhing and I would lose out. My melee, even with 38 68, which was my best hit dam with him, was poor and bloodlust just pales in comparison to a dark-elf muter juiced up on metabolic etc The spells just never seemed to land on the right people at the right time. I even got a bash down death by Muhktar when I was on eastern road despite being giant size so I actually preferred felar as a race!

That said I did get some decent mileage out of akragaka and my polearm....wish I had kept pincerstaff for longer instead of leeching it to unholy flail.

2) I actually enjoyed the whole imperial experience and found promotions reasonably easy to come by and my only downside is that as a European player there are often too few allies when facing the lame gankage of the Fortvillagelanders which wore me down along with other things. It is hard enough trying to get your item back against defenders without the refuge and the village just happening to know that the codex was in the fort and hung out waiting or came when called *insert name of certain felar villager and svirf outlander*

3) Part of the Imperial experience being so good was Destuvius. I think you are awesome and I love the vibe you bring to the Empire. Sorry for bailing on dreadlord so soon after getting it but I was honestly so fed up and, dare I say, pissed off at my lack of fun brought about by lack of regular barrier rods. I checked loads of places as normal and none of the 19 places I personally know there to be black rods produced anything and I then checked way more 'possible' places and still nothing. I saved edge points and took barrier attunement and then checked about 14 of the 19 I know, the other 4 being seriously hard as nails to get for most arcanes, impossible for an AP and I just questioned myself one night after a #### couple of deaths to outlanders when trying to retrieve. I asked myself 'Why are you still slogging it out and only using barrier sparingly, resulting in risk taking and death when every other mage you fight has barrier on a stick, either because they lucked out or because the deleted the versions they made that got a #### location?!' I could not give myself a decent answer and so I deleted and left my equipment and my unholy in the cabal for the glory of the Empire. Sorry Destuvius but I will be back to Empire, just not with a FIRE AP......or AP of any sort for that matter.

ABS - RNG is just a fun killer when it doesn't go your way......and I actually had enough edge points that I could have had barrier attunement x3 but why the hell should I?!

Thanks again for a game that is fun 95% of the time......the 5% being complete cock! :)
119003, RE: Well, that is that.
Posted by N b M on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Did you take the luck edge?

Twists bashers always have the luck edge, yours should too.
119004, I recall the first interaction.
Posted by Klibendon on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Devious, Orc and Empire... Hah. I was kicking myself that I couldn't finish the fight and the Orc got your weapon. Kinda felt like a double loss.

Still, you stuck things out and rose up in ranks. I was looking forward to more brawling. Some of them were darn close. GLWYN.
119009, Likewise
I was wandering up to Mortorn on a wand-check and took a wrong turn and saw you in the village and put 2 and 2 together. Iron grip dropped the tick before the strip/disarm.

Later, I messed up an command or two in the Weald when I almost had you then later in Balator I think STSF charged up inside 2 rounds so, without regular barrier I never picked a fight with you again.
119005, Glad you enjoyed it
Posted by Destuvius on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You were one of my favorites to watch and yeah... You had some god awful luck in a lot of situations I saw you in. I am however beginning to think there is a curse on me when it comes to the Black Sect. The last.. 4 (?) Dread Lords I have tattooed have all vanished on me quick like. Hope to see you back again with something that gives you a greater fun stick.
119010, RE: Glad you enjoyed it
Well, I may make a new Dreadlord to break the curse later in the year but I need a break from APs for a bit. Being cranky as hell with the familam after a crap death/gang and/or loss of an unholy aint cool but that it what an AP does to me.
119023, I was almost certain...
Posted by Voszoad on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I was almost certain you would end up a beast at some point. And Empire would start dominating at some point. That last fight we had.. I was shocked you didn't have the charges I had anticipated. Great character regardless.. I could never pull off an anti-paladin..

Crooooooak!
119051, RE: I was almost certain...
If I found my black rod I probably could have but as it was I was having to take too many chances and save my barrier zaps.

I did have a half-decent weapon that was into the 20s but that bitch Andira got it when you assailed me outside the fortress after a retrieval and Tesline's healer spammed lash on you after I bashed you and andira wandered in and her archon wrathed me down. I hate that elven bitch as the RNG favours her soo often and this time she had a lowbie thief take my unholy because it was iron.

Ahh well.
118968, Wow I expected more hours than this. Achieved a lot in that time nt
Posted by KaguMaru on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
nt