Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subject(CON LOSS) [BATTLE] Ozriwddyr the Grey, Ruminated Defender of the Village
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=117884
117884, (CON LOSS) [BATTLE] Ozriwddyr the Grey, Ruminated Defender of the Village
Posted by Death_Angel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Thu Nov 7 22:21:17 2013

At 3 o'clock AM, Day of the Moon, 35th of the Month of the Great Evil
on the Theran calendar Ozriwddyr perished, never to return.
Race:dark-elf
Class:warrior
Level:51
Alignment:Neutral
Ethos:Neutral
Cabal:BATTLE, the BattleRagers, Haters of Magic
Hours:315
117923, Friends
Posted by Quixotic on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Crraya - Recently, raiding the Spire in concert with you was a blast. The berserker-defender combination can be just sick in such situations. From what I have seen, you are a decent commander, and for an assassin your visibility is outstanding and desirable for maintaining a flow of new battle applicants.

Gilut - I guess I'll have to have you forge that weapon in the next life. Stout drillmaster and a solid presence.

Klibendon - What a great build you have going. You are very effective, and I see the potential for leadership in your future.

Ogun - I had hoped you would heighten the conflict with Oz when he healed you against your will, but the village was more important to Oz than the desires of the people in it. Keep doing your thing, and watch out for these gnomes that suddenly want to hold weapons in their hands.

Skulda - I really liked your presence. You seemed to have a hard time of it at hero, specifically against the orcs, but you were always willing to throw down.

Deaer - Oz's unrequited love. Thank you for the conversations, the internal conflict, the new role directions, and your Corpse Bride vibe. It was perfect, and I wouldn't change a thing.
117924, All of your interactions were great.
Posted by Deaer on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I just wish I could have finished telling you that one thing before you went and got yourself killed. Good luck with your next!
117979, re That one thing
I hope you remember to share in Deaer's death thread. Great character.
117929, RE: Friends
Posted by Ogun on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You definitely corrupted Ogun on the healing thing. I wrote it off as being in the better interests of the village to allow people within the village to heal me rather than stick to my guns. also I ran into one major problem besides that with trying to keep that up - cursed items. A few cursed items and a healer starts looking real attractive.

117950, Loved this character.
Posted by Yuolud on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
It was clear you were willing to make decisions and change things.
Loved that.

I supported you a lot behind the scenes, including keeping the Maran off of you before you went grey. Helping you was extremely important to prove that conversion and converts wouldn't be left for the vultures, but yer Battlerager pride prevented me from helping as much as I would have liked.

Yer bluffs when you lost your warrior spec skills were something o' legend.

117991, *sad face*
Posted by Crraya on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I get back from vacation a couple of hours ago and see this...

I thought Oz was a super-capable defender and a great ally. Didn't get the whole redeeming thing, but it didn't hamper your ability as a defender one bit.
117922, Immortals
Akresius - As I had mentioned earlier, I had tried earning your attention without being one of those guys that loiters in the shrine. Some characters manage to make a large enough impact to win accolades, but I am at a loss how to become "one of those guys."

Lyristeon - Thank you for the custom title. Those little things mean a ton, even if they don't occur until the end of a character's life.

Corrlaan - Thanks for the alignment change. That month without specs was perhaps one of the better experiences I've had, as it made me evaluate pk in a fresh way, and it did encourage me to look at just how a neutral differs from an evil mindset.

Battle imms - That night after the rites, I/we were given the impression there was a large RP situation coming up, and I had the understanding that Oz was going to have a part in it whatever that questy event was going to be. I was juiced! It took the sting out of being passed over for leadership, but then nothing happened, and I was a sad panda.

As for immortal-player interaction, I had hoped that my dedication would have led to a title, a custom long, a cabal edge, or even an offer of a quest for con. What did you like, and what would you have liked to have seen differently from Oz?
117926, RE: Immortals
Posted by Bemused on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>As for immortal-player interaction, I had hoped that my
>dedication would have led to a title, a custom long, a cabal
>edge, or even an offer of a quest for con. What did you like,
>and what would you have liked to have seen differently from
>Oz?

My last hero-ish character (Isabaeux) had more hours than this one and far more of a reason to want and warrant immortal interaction. I got absolutely nothing. You seemed to get some, at least. Let's not get greedy. Just play the game for yourself, not for the acceptance of and praise from others.
117928, Solid character
Posted by Lyristeon on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
The title was actually a collaboration between Arvam and I. We felt that you deserved something for being a really solid character. As for the con, I personally didn't know you were looking for more. You might have gotten the con quest if you asked me. That's just a hint for future reference. Your mileage may vary with me IC.

There are certain things I look for in players in general that make me want to do more for them. It isn't always about pk, but it will be a bit more for battle depending on how the current events are rolling. Ask yourself this question and it may answer some of your questions. Do you feel that you were the best battlerager during the time you played? This is not a knock on you. You were a really solid character that I thought did an excellent job. If you answered that question with a yes, then I missed some things which leads back to the first paragraph. If you answered no, then you might understand why you didn't get some of the accolades that you thought you should have.

117973, Redemption
Posted by Corrlaan on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM

I'm gonna be real honest with you. Your reasoning for wanting Redemption sucked. It was pretty weak. Essentially you told me in our first meeting about it that you were lonely and the villagers excluded you. Deaer was being nice and you kind of wanted to hang out with her more so uhmm yeah..redmptionplzthx?

I essentially gave you the three days to mull it over and hoped you'd just decide it was too much work and give up, but you didn't. And I pretty much expected you to con-die without specs. In my mind the path AFTER redemption should be hard. Most should NOT survive it. I honestly really stopped worrying too much about you because I figured if you did something amazing I'd hear about it. I think you sort of grew on people out of that adversity so maybe think about that next time you want more immteraction etc. We like to see cool stuff. I personally don't give a crap about PK numbers. If you are badass at PK I'm like..'Cool, he knows how to play the game.' I'm way more impressed with those that turn a bad situation good, make a great character hampered with flaws, etc etc.

All in all a decent character. Your reasoning for your path could have been better. You could have showed a bit more passion in wanting to complete the path. You could have done a bit more sacrificing to make yourself seem like a 'changed man'. But in the end on my side of the veil, you basically looked like a neutral villager in the end. After you got your specs back you still pretty much attacked Lightwalkers at will, mowed through guards in Voralia, so I'm not sure what the whole point of the Redemption really was? Not trying to be harsh, I'm trying to tell you what it looked like to me.

Have fun out there!
117978, RE: Redemption
Fair statement. and I wasn't playing a lightwalker. Oz hadn't gotten to that stage yet.

Oz was changing FOR DEAER, not out of an innate desire to reform and become a better person. Frankly, I was shocked that it was considered enough motivation for you to start the process, even if it was your intent to let me con-die without specs. Not sure what I think about that; I am not sure how I feel about Corrlaan not calling Oz's reason b.s. to his face, but I do appreciate you revealing your thoughts after the fact. They were flimsy, but then people do try crazy things for love.

In the midst of the process of change, Deaer revealed something that Oz did not know beforehand, that she was engaged to a mage. That ended it for him, and although he did not go back into "kill anything and laugh mode", he was not about to cry about killing goodie mages or people who got in his way.

Anyway, no hard feelings about you wanting to let Oz languish without specs. It certainly was a missed opportunity, however, for it could have been a teachable moment for Oz.
117918, A few enemies
Orcs - I loved you, man! From an RNG perspective, if you landed your first bash attempt, I would put the fight at about 70% chance yours, and if you missed, I put it at about 70% mine. Orcs and Oz had similar fighting styles (Offensive hit & run), the major difference being that you hit harder but got hit more often, so in a way it was amusing to see us engage in a tango of crashing together and spinning away to recover.

Yegtheg - My favorite. This was a combat-oriented character, so having opponents who would throw down against a relatively evenly-matched opponent made for a lot of fun. I don't know adaptations, but it was sickening how many extra attacks you would get between getting hit or getting lagged--much more than Oz got from concealed. You were gracious in victory or defeat, and you made logins far more fun.

Ruk & Fegul - You two focused more on getting weapons out of Oz's hands, so for a long stretch I started engaging you with throw-away weapons to soften you up, knowing Oz would have to run away as soon as you grappled it away or swatted it into an adjacent room. (By the way, who is the sick bastard who created that skill? Damn I hated that, as it meant my weapon was not merely disarmed, but likely lost too).

Dwybaen - Not merely my enemy, but my rival. Great fun, and not although not an easy fight, not one I was particularly worried about unless I didn't have the head. I was impressed with how you handled the transition of Oz from evil to neutral, and I thought you acted as the epitome of how a maran should view a neutral villager. For my own part, Oz caught flak from enemies for attacking imperials or scions when you were in the area, but I never saw much point in fighting an air/offense shifter when there were two healers with him, one of whom I would never, ever kick dirt into her eyes?

Merf - If Deaer had not been trying so hard to redeem me, and if you had not been a mage, I would have taken up your repeated offers for the Warmaster spot--again, this character did not have a predetermined role, but instead my intention from the start was to evolve. Fighting you tended to irritate me, as you were such a chicken ####, but then the AP class does not lend itself to fighting ill-prepared.

Gedunthos - Even with all your threats, I am cheering for you. Your character has this gritty, slimy pragmatism that I like.

Aglaron - Your character is a mage, so you are going to be attacked by Battle. I understand your IC hatred of the cabal. But you the player need to think this through--from a game design perspective, Battle is there specifically because prepped mages have a stupidly high survivability rate, just as shamans exist because healers and paladins breed like rabbits. You were dealing out MANGLES through resist, and this defender was countering with hits and scratches. Think of all the logs of Scion invokers and conjurers eating through Squires (and often villagers). There has to be something to counter that. My biggest gripe about the village is going to be 'attack anything' lag-and-deathblow ragers, but there are supposed to be rules and oversight to deal with that.

Tribunal mages - Until late in life, Oz was not interested in fighting Tribunal, largely as a matter of pragmatics: getting a warrant for a failed kill attempt was just stupid, and Oz's fighting style was all about hit and run.

Oz's attitude changed, however, with that mouthy shapeshifter who told Oz, "You don't have the stones to come after me in the Spire," which prompted Oz to pubicly humiliate this trash-talking penis by taking the Scales alone against him and his two out-of-range defenders. "Stones," as I called him thereafter, promptly logged out. That was immensely gratifying. After that, I struck mages freely in town, except for the invoker known as

Keriel, because a prepared invoker could counter everything but a hurl throat, and the success rate against invokers was maybe one in eight throws. Immolate and bloody shackles are an inordinately strong combination, and although I might clap my hands for you, I dislike how that combination kills the feasibility of cabal wars while you are awake. It sure is a deal breaker for an outlander ranger. Beyond you being a mage, I have no sense of your character. I do suspect I know your player, however, for we all have our tells.

Almost forgot Twizoua! Tough, tough character. Definitely the one I feared the most, and against whom Oz measured himself. I lamented how difficult it was to land anything against you, and it was later amusing when you had the same complaints against me, but fighting you was largely a cripple fight compared to fighting orcs and giants. Good times.
117942, RE: A few enemies
Posted by keriel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You were a classy enemy to fight and I wish I had more opportunities to fight you but somehow I could never seem to find you when you didn't want to be found. Invokers are well equipped to handle many types of enemies but the drawback is that it's usually hard to pin someone down.

Can't believe you managed to get away that time on the isle and you were able to choke both me and Turmi in quick succession. Really well done.

As for knowing who the player is, guess I'll just have to try harder lol

see you in the fields.
117975, RE: A few enemies
Posted by Dwybaen on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM

Yeah you came up after I spent weeks playing with Bujoch back and forth. Him killing me multiple times and then me finally figuring out how to fight him. When you came up it was my first experience with dagger spec rager and you definitely had me outgunned if we were toe to toe from beginning of a fight.

My philosophy on ragers after you and Bujoch was that I had better catch you far away from the village and hurt. So it was always just a hunt and peck situation.

Obviously I couldn't let you go most of the time without at least attacking you. You were after my girl after all. ;)

Good Luck with your next.
117907, I had a feeling this was coming soon. Great job.
Posted by Gilut Fargyth on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I thought you did a great job.
Defender is one of the reasons berserkers do so well.
As far as Akresius is concerned, he is around you just need
to be persistent.
Overall well done and thanks for all the patches.

GLWYN.

Gilut

117906, General information
My goals for Oz were to
- play a character who was combat oriented
- garner immortal attention without being a sycophant
- play a character concept driven by events in his life

So
- I looked for opportunities to fight, and I tried hard not to complain when things didn't go well. To be fair, I thought things went well most of the time,
- This wasn't enough to get immortal attention in general or Akresius's attention in particular, so in this category I failed. I'm not exactly sure how to stand out without shamelessly pandering to someone.
- when Deaer tried to redeem me, I went from toying with her to trying to corrupt her, to falling in love with her creepy little Tim Burton-esque cupie doll. I would have attempted to be redeemed completely, but then the little bitch married a MAGE! WTF! Just kidding, but that did mean I wasn't going to lose my specs a second time; Oz liked the feeling of inclusion, of belonging, that accompanied his shift to neutral, but it was quite apparent that life was not all roses and sunshine, and he was not going to open himself up to even more emotional betrayal. Thank you, Corrlaan, for facilitating that change.

This was my first time doing the typical alignment change process, and I must say--this was hands down the best thing for opening my eyes to the art of PK, to quit trying to go for the home run but rather to bait your opponent into committing before you go for the kill. I may not be any good yet, but I learned a lot. Thank you.

More to come.
117894, Awe..
Posted by Klibendon on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Now why did you want to go and deprive the village of it's best current defender? Shame on you.

In all honesty, I really liked Oz. I respected what you were trying to do and got to see it through a couple sets of eyes. You were typically quiet, a little bit of a loaner maybe, but when the village needed you, you were there. I wished we could have gotten more in depth with your change from darkness to grey but alas, it shall not be. Great job all around, and I hope to see you again in some form soon.

117887, RE: (CON LOSS) [BATTLE] Ozriwddyr the Grey, Ruminated Defender of the Village
Posted by Faenral on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Great job on getting the Grey Elf bit. I wish we could have interacted more, but we were on completely opposite ends of the spectrum. Maybe if I hadn't been a mage, we coulda been battle buddies. (No pun intended.)

Good luck with your next.
117885, Great job
Posted by Twizoua on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Thanks for giving me the honor of the last fight. Had to dash around a lot to catch up to you while bleeding intensely.

Always one of the toughest villagers for me to fight, my build is designed to beat giants mostly, and there's been a severe lack of them in the village most of my life. Fighting a drow with STSF isn't the best of my matchups. Think it was about a draw overall, at least that's how I perceive it, maybe your PBF will show me very wrong.

GLWYN, make an islander mage, we'll rock.

P.S.(A) Don't know why, but no one rolls a nexun even though there are probably more fights to be had on the island than anywhere else. Admittedly, most are against villagers, but still.
117889, Preps, and prep gathering time vs. DB/Resist on a stick...
Posted by Aglaron on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
That's why I don't play on the island. I'm not spending forever looking for preps and gathering them when my enemy gets DBs, resist and spellbane for joining a cabal. Yes, I had a islander before and that was my experience. That is not my fun stick.
117891, Huh? Short of Empire Nexus is the best for killing villagers.
Posted by TMNS on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Cents + black shroud + no head = tons of village corpses
117892, No head makes them just plain warriors... But that is rarely the case.
Posted by Perpetual_Noob on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
n/t
117896, crap
Posted by Sarien on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You were my fave villager as Fegul!
117963, You old bastard...
Posted by Buhlron on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Now why would you go up and die before I got a chance to kill you? Pretty sure you and Gilut were/are the only villagers I've not managed to corpsefeast on yet, how sad.

I think after all the time I chased you around on Eastern Road I actually came close to killing you only once. For some reason your strikes were nearly unavoidable and you avoiding then retaliating to my every bite and tendonslash was a true pain. Not to mention all the concealed you seemed to throw like you were making it rain, but anyways it was always entertaining and if you had stayed alive Im sure I would have just killed you anyways.....eventually :D

It's always sad to see on my opponents go, but hell guess it happens to us all in one way or another. Specially when you play around with the damnable Deck of Fate like I can't seem to stop doing! x(

I enjoyed all of our fights and you taught me that I should atleast use aura and shielding against villager defenders.

GLWYN

-Buhlron