Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subject(DELETED) [BATTLE] Ruosti the Skjaldic Mason of the Paragon, Drillmaster of Battle
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=116705
116705, (DELETED) [BATTLE] Ruosti the Skjaldic Mason of the Paragon, Drillmaster of Battle
Posted by Death_Angel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Thu Aug 29 11:12:23 2013

At 9 o'clock PM, Day of Thunder, 10th of the Month of the Old Forces
on the Theran calendar Ruosti perished, never to return.
Race:wood-elf
Class:bard
Level:51
Alignment:Neutral
Ethos:Chaotic
Cabal:BATTLE, the BattleRagers, Haters of Magic
Hours:304
116710, It's bittersweet
Posted by TJHuron on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I say it's bittersweet because part of me hates to throw away a character I've devoted so much time and energy to that still could have gone along way. But, the other part of me is satisfied with the choice because my play time is dwindling and I won't be trying to force log ins when I really shouldn't.

I really didn't expect to even go this far when I rolled the character. I had an idea I wanted to test out, which I think did work on a small scale but not to the game changing level I secretly hoped for. That idea was to begin a bard as preferred tragic and take the depths of depression edge, which enhances damage against foes with bad morale, and then switch to preferred epic using the change of heart edge and use the erode confidence and combat showmanship edges to run peoples morale into the ground quickly and get massive damage from offensive songs. There was a few times I noticed an increase in a damage verb from this but overall I don't think it was really significant. I am also kicking myself for not getting the nocturne of fright edge while I was tragic preferred. It'd be real nice if this stuff was explained in the helpfiles. It occurred to me later that maybe this would work better by starting comedic preferred, taking the killing joke edge and then switching. Who knows?

Another contributing factor to the delete was I wanted to participate in the Rites but my chances of logging in on a sunday night are not good at all.

I apologize to all the applicants at the end there. My dwindling play times combined with the higher expectations I required applicants to get a hut before the rites really probably made it tough on you all. My personal preference is to be liberal with induction. We are all here to have fun so I should have spent more time interacting with those I saw.

Some Goodbyes:

Ysaloerye - You do an amazing job. I hope I did well for you. I think you are a fantastic imm and it's always a pleasure to get to RP with you. I hope my OOC note wasn't too out of line. I just wanted to give you some background information. I don't know if you ever logged in in the evening which was my prime log in time and noticed I was a bit more cautious when it came to PK during the day than in the evening for the reasons I mentioned. I was really, really hoping to become your voice and that is the biggest regret I have about deleting. I'm sure down the road it will be high on my list of all time CF regrets.

Akresius - Thanks for the words! I grinned ear to ear that I told Mikhian while we were in the shrine I thought you enjoyed watching us charge all those people at the arena and you sent me a tell saying you did. It surprised me but was very cool.

Rayihn - I also enjoyed the fun interaction after those arena fights.

Whiysdan - I had fun interacting with you too. Does getting alcohol poisoning really reduce the tolerance of a character?? Before that time I would have 3 drinks of wine and still be tipsy. After that 3 drinks would get me drunk.

Arratok - Thank you for all the counsel. I didn't act on what we discussed because of the delete but more on that later. I really enjoyed our talks.

Brizlin - I shared all on your death thread, but, thanks again for the shot.

Mikhian - Again, I shared on your death thread. You were ruosti's partner in crime for a long time and I had a blast tearing things up.

Gilut - Ruosti of course had a soft spot for dwarves. I really like Gilut and we got along nicely and worked well together. You were always complimentary about the songs, which is nice to hear as a bard.

Svelresh - Smith! I loved Svelresh. I only wish we got more log ins together. You were top notch.

Skulda - I really liked Skulda. You were around for much of Ruostis life but I felt like I got to know you the best at the end. Good job playing out the role challenge character. I think you will do well in the future.

Cabrefen - You were always up to fight and get dirty. I admired that. Keep it up and good luck down the road. I know all about playing the Village arial bard so I can relate.

Bujoch - Where to begin... First, I did like Bujoch. I liked him alot. However, I got #### tons of complaints about you. I did see that log posted on Dio's of you #### stomping Voralia with Norfis. That was a pretty #### move for a berserker or any villager for that matter. I will say, I tried not to let that OOC log taint my IC view on Bujoch. Someone even told me about it IC but had I discussed it with you Ruosti's POV would have been it was too absurd to be believable. However, stuff kept going on. So I sent that letter about how to act with the Fort hoping that would squash everything. And then I got a complaint with multiple witnesses about you doing something that was against what I set out in that note (and one other thing that pushes the envelope in my eyes). So, as a follower of Ysaloerye, Ruosti didn't take a duergar disobeying him too well. Add on top of that he sees himself as a steward for the village until the rites and a leading candidate for Commander (along with a bunch of other IC stuff that has to do with the religion) he wasn't about to be seen as a weak leader or disgrace himself by letting this behavior go on. Because of that I was set to uninduct you the next I saw you. I even spoke to Arratok about it and mentioned it in a role chapter. I tried to give you warnings. However, since I decided to delete I thought it would be a big time prick move to do this and then delete. I even considered at some point if you were purposely (as in it was part of your role) trying to get uninducted. You spoke of wanting to be MageSlayer and I do hope you get it. But, you won't if you continue to try and murder anything you can.

Crraya - You were very fun. Good luck coming up!

Ragyth - Again, one of the old ones. We didn't have the same times at the end there but another stand up Villager.

Sehdara - Man, you are tough. And very opportunistic, which isn't a bad thing at all. Just dangerous for everyone else! We had some very good fights. Some went my way some went yours. Just dangerous.

Yegtheg - A very cool opponent. You were classy and always up for a fight and we had some good ones. You slipped away from me a few times and got me a few more. That damn mace really screwed me. Does that thing over prog alot! I even considered posting something about it ask why there isn't at least a save or chance for a spellbane or something because it was nearly immediate in all of our fights. Oh well, I enjoyed the challenge of it.

As these goodbyes tend to go, it's getting long and I'm certain I am missing people. If I did post up and I'll reply.

116711, That really, really sucks.
Posted by Crraya on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Great leader. Great player. You'll be sorely missed.
116712, Tough as nails
Posted by Nopilopil on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Probably the hardest person to fight as far as criminals went. Pretty solid character. Good on you.
116717, As were you
You were a huge challenge. To be honest I never though a defensive shifter could be that tough but you found a nice niche with your build for criminals. Those guards hit hard! I tried hard to manage my fights to keep my opponents around to the end but your guards turned the tables on me a few times to where I suddenly felt myself on the defensive and you weren't hurt at all.
116716, You will be missed.
Posted by Gilut on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I thought we made a great team. I have enjoyed lots of battleragers, but it terms of pure combat I enjoyed teaming with you the best.

Your roleplaying was always top notch.

You will be missed as I was thinking you were the next commander.

See you when your schedule calms down and you play something else.

Gilut.
116718, Loved this char. You deserved a run as Commander.
Posted by Ragyth on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Really sorry to see you go.

We had some good runs in the lower ranks. I think you were significantly more powerful and effective than I in hero range.
Great Drillmaster..I think you should have layed down the law more often.
116720, Sound o' Silence
Posted by Ysaloerye on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Ah well this really kind of sucks. You went from not really getting it for Biddyism, then the light dawned and you seem to understand what makes it work. Although I facepalmed when after your work went into the cavern that you told a duergar to go to the inn and have a look! It is, however a really nice work, and I am glad you liked what I did with it to give it more depth.

Ruosti as a whole was a solid character and a great asset to the village, especially when you stepped out on your own from behind Mikhian's shadow. You were doing a good job as Drillmaster, and filling the Commander responsibilities. Not to rub it in, but I had some cool things lined up had you managed to get that last piece in the religion. Ah well 'sela vee' as the dwarves say. Time is the enemy of man, as there is never enough. Look forward to having you back in the village someday and taking another crack at the religion.
116721, And the trend continues
Posted by laxman on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
"However, since I decided to delete I thought it would be a big time prick move to do this and then delete. I even considered at some point if you were purposely (as in it was part of your role) trying to get uninducted. You spoke of wanting to be MageSlayer and I do hope you get it. But, you won't if you continue to try and murder anything you can."

It is also a prick move to when presented with evidence of bad behavior of a villager to shirk your duty as a commander, especially given the players lengthy history of doing this and getting away with it because leaders are too feeble to do their job and pull the trigger. Which just results in him doing it character, after character, after character, after character. Seriously he will just delete and have a near clone of the build in the village and heroed again within a week if you crack down on him so there is no reason to feel bad about it.

Other then that I thought your char was a solid villager and did a great job of not just being a bard villager but being a skjald. Best of luck with your next.
116722, I thought skjald was just fluff nordic word for bard.
Posted by Murphy on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Is it not?
116723, not fluff
Posted by laxman on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Bards have a special role in the village above and beyond whatever path they take and the normal duties of a villager. This is why for the majority of battles history a bard required an Immduction to get in.
116724, RE: And the trend continues
I understand your position on this. I read your posts on Dios a few weeks back. So you would have booted him before you deleted?

I just didn't feel right doing that. Like I said I had planned on it but the decision to delete changed things. I think Arratok can back me on this per my discussion with him.

See, the problem with this situation is witnessing it as a mortal leader. Bujoch is smart enough not to blatantly do something in front of another Villager, or if he did that villager kept it under his hat. That basically leaves me going on the word of the people who he offended, which can also be biased. It comes down to one person's word versus another. I even had someone tell me he only does this when there are no other Villagers on. For instance, soon as another villager logged on he became a model Villager.

I had decided that after speaking to several people who witnessed a particular action of Bujoch's that it was enough evidence for me to pull the trigger. However, often times it's just the word of one person.

That log that appeared on Dio's was kind of like the wikileaks. It was against the rules to post as it was clearly character assassination but probably for the greater good. It left me with a choice of whether or not to act IC on something I saw OOC. I decided not to thinking that someone in immland would.

Which brings me to my next thought. Right now it seems that Ysal is the only one watching over the cabal and she isn't logged in all the time. Fjarn and Thror are MIA. I don't know what the rules or status quo is in immland about imms intervening with cabals not under their control but it sure would have been nice if some imm who witnessed ####ty behavior from Bujoch when a battle imm wasn't present would have told me about it through some sort of IC means like the Destructor or something. That would have been enough for me.

I even considered asking Baer when she was visible if she would tell me if she saw any of this behavior occur.

Yes, maybe I could have acted sooner, but, I was trying to be fair. Also, at some point we have to ask why do the imms allow it to go on?

Thanks for the compliment about the character.
116728, I had similar problems...
Posted by TMNS on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
...in a similar position.

You're left with OOC knowledge that bad behavior has been occurring, and I'm sorry, if you are to truly follow the rules of the game you can't allow that OOC knowledge to change the way you roleplay in game.

I also agree that having immortal oversight is often imperative when administrating over a cabal in the manner that the Commander or Drillmaster has to.

It's a shame that this happened, and don't let it sour the experience of running the cabal. Glad to see the village was in good hands.
116725, RE: It's bittersweet
Posted by Aeede on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I really enjoyed our interactions at the INN. Loved it from the start when you got involved in my events. I really loved drinking with you and you made me think to give bard another try (haven't played a bard in many years) and go battle one of these days.

Its sad to see you go. But time availability can be hard thing to manage.

GLWYN
116726, Really liked this character
Posted by Whiysdan on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I watched this character a lot and was always thoroughly impressed with your RP. Just top notch on all levels.

If you're drinking prissy, gross wine, you deserve what comes to you! *nightlaugh*

P.S. I liked my title for you, but Ysal took it away :(

=w=
116727, RE: Really liked this character
Hah, yeah. I laughed at that title. What was funny was that Mikhian thought you were trying to rip on me because of his Delusional Worm title. I didn't think you were trying to rip on me. It was a fun title.

To be honest, I drank wine for more mechanical reasons than anything else. Those wine bottles last a long time, and I didn't have to take a hundred sips to get to the point just before drunk. Besides, I think wine and elves go together. It was really out of place when I drank wine with Jutley, who was supposed to be some sort of tough cowboy.

116709, Big-time frownie face.
Posted by Akresius on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I really liked this character.