Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subject(RAGE DELETE) [None] Olthundor Ironhelm the Cigar Chomper
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=113916
113916, (RAGE DELETE) [None] Olthundor Ironhelm the Cigar Chomper
Posted by Death_Angel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Thu Mar 14 13:22:03 2013

At 5 o'clock AM, Day of Freedom, 32nd of the Month of the Battle
on the Theran calendar Olthundor perished, never to return.
Race:dwarf
Class:warrior
Level:51
Alignment:Evil
Ethos:Neutral
Cabal:None, None
Hours:274
114092, hated you : - )
Posted by gruna on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
but only because you wouldent fight me alone after you got the strange bracers. ; - ) It was the first time i EVER had those so of cause i wanted them back, but you never gave me a chance. And i guess thats the reason i hate nexans, they always fight in pairs bleh...

anyway had no clue that was imm played.

114090, RE: (RAGE DELETE) [None] Olthundor Ironhelm the Cigar Chomper
Posted by Demos on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Being one of the lowbie/newbies you gave a couple tours to I appreciate it so much. You were awesome to roll with and made me roll a dwarf sword spec first thing once I deleted kanaan. Thanks for all the fun bud, glwyn
113934, Ol' Thundor didn't seem bad at all.
Posted by Murphy on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Very few characters can leave a good impression in ever so little interaction. Especially since Nexus tends to be my most hated cabal :)
113997, Well that's an incredibly vague compliment...
Posted by Twist on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>Very few characters can leave a good impression in ever so
>little interaction. Especially since Nexus tends to be my most
>hated cabal :)

Thanks? :)
114024, Vague because I didn't want to out my char.
And I don't post anonymously because it's often too obvious who the poster is anyway.
114025, Zulg did fix that a while back
Posted by Rayihn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You'll notice no one's been outed in a while.
114026, Can hide handle, but not manner of speech.
Or at least I personally feel uncomfortable posting anonymously. I might slip and say the same thing somewhere else and someone could correlate. Yes, I know. Paranoia.

Also, can't imms see who is behind an anonymous poster anyway?
113917, BAHAHA you moron!
You can't wield that sword in a fight without getting turned evil pretty damn quick. Idiot.

You feel the dark taint of the Unholy Sword surge through you!

Heh.
113918, Holy crap, Owned by the Twist. nt
Posted by Gaplemo on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
poopybuttcrust
113919, Ok no but seriously...
...I was under the impression that the sword would age someone, not turn them evil. So oops.

Anyways Olthundor was pretty ok fun. I had a goal of being Rhyme at some point with some char, so goal met there.

I also had never played a successful dwarf warrior before. I'd had ok ones, but nothing that passed even, like 20pkwins (without a significant amount of losses). Definitely nothing that anyone ever avoided. A (very) few folks avoided fights with Olthundor if they could, so goal met sorta there I guess.

I also wanted a char that had Daevryn's tattoo. Not so much.

Goodbyes:
Tinwold - we had good times. Your times dropped off lately, but then so did mine as I lost interest too (I was hoping to dramatically age Olthundor by fighting with the sword - oops).

Urgraj - you, too, seem to have dropped off in your playtimes. Happens. Pretty sure you *hated* playing when things were balanced. Keep in mind Olthundor wasn't going to bust on you for killing people you didn't like if things were Balanced. Heroimms might have, yeah. But not Olthundor. :P

Most other Nexuns - sorry to lump you all together but I lost count of how many Trothon/Organia/Thar-Acacia trips I lead, how many wand searches I went on, and how much leveling I did for you guys. To have so many of those I helped just delete (or just stop showing) was really meh, and I'm sure it showed as newer people were asking me for help and I'd either ignore them or whatever.

Other than that, interactions in Nexus were really good. Thanks to all who voted for me. :)

Enemies/Allies (ie not Nexus not Battle) - Mostly good fights and stuff.

Battle - Some class acts, some not so much. Keep trucking, and by all means use Olthundor's folly of ruining himself via a magical sword as inspiration and a roleplay tool if you so desire. Its a pretty accurate depiction of "tinkering with that which you do not understand." Heh.

Daevryn, thanks for the early talks. I prayed a lot for you once I heroed/Rhymed but I know how it is, so no big deal that we didn't connect.

Amaranthe, thanks for the cool Valentine's deal. The reward you gave me may have been a bit much for what was entailed on my end, but considering the one you chose, it didn't really affect any PVP combat, like, at all. So kudos on that.

Rydell, thanks for putting up with the RP re: the Valentine's deal.
113920, Holy crap owned by yourself! nt
nt
113921, Thanks and well met.
Posted by Swaareti on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Thanks for the help ranking, wand searching, and finding my way as an invoker with much yet to learn.

I intend to stick it out for a good long time, even if my play times are a bit sporadic these days, so consider that time well invested!

I really enjoyed Olthundor and could tell you were a vet but had no idea you were The Twist incarnate. It was an honor and a joy to spend the time we had together and wishing I could have learned even more from you. Maybe in the next life, roots!

Enjoy the springtime out there and I'll see ya in the fields.
113996, Give'm hell
I could tell you were new to the invoker class to some degree, but you're doing well with it. As you get more and more experienced with the nuances and timing, you'll become a force, I think.

Or you'll not get enough experience with the nuances and timing and you'll con-die. :P

Either way have fun!
113922, RE: Ok no but seriously...
Posted by Mylene on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Boo on this, One of these days we will have a Rhyme that will make it through two votes!

I was thinking man you move / talk / do everything fast and now I know why. It was nice to travel with you and get smoked by you when you played Caitlyan.

I wish our times meshed more but what time we did have I enjoyed.

--Mylene
113983, You thought *I* moved fast?
...have you ever grouped with Urgraj? Yeesh.
113923, Thanks for helping me out
Posted by Ellondan on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
And letting me keep... my preeccccciiioousssss.
113984, No problem
Not sure why you wanted it - I'm guessing for the stats, not the prog - but it sure wasn't something that would have suited Olthundor very well. :P
113926, Wow...
Posted by Salpcha on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
This is most unexpected. Figured I'd be handing you the rest of my con pretty soon. You were my worst enemy considering no matter what I did the best I could ever do was stun you and get away. Such a great character and now I won't sweat so much. Well played.
113985, Yeah, see...
Axe/HTH human just didn't have a whole lot for Olthundor. But there were ragers that Olthundor had nothing for. Rock paper scissors blah blah.

Very courageous rager. Keep up the good work!
113930, Well ####.
Posted by Arratok on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I was all over the place with you.

It was a completely one sided fight, one way or the other I feel like. I felt like I steamrolled you once or twice, and then shortly there after got STEAMROLLED by you like WOAHHH.

Shortly thereafter I was wayyy more careful about how I treated anyone regardless of previous fights. You basically had me over thinking everything from that point on.

You knew how to gear like a boss, fight like a beast, and you were a class act. Should of know it was someone up on the food chain.

I wish we got to throw down a bit more. It was always something that got me flutters, and that's why I play CF. Pk Shakes, nothing like em.
113986, Definitely one-sided...
...one way or the other for sure. Our fights aren't much for interesting logs, but they do give a good showing of how RNG can sway a fight.
113932, RE: Ok no but seriously...
Posted by Tinwold on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Oh man, I feel honored to know I got to play closely along with twist. You were a fantastic friend and a great help. I know we did a lot of work together and I thank you so much for all the help you gave me. Absolutely fantastic time spent with you.

I know my time has dropped off lately, RL is just kicking me in the butt right now and I hope I can recover from it.

Anyway, once again you were my closest friend and a great mentor/leader. GLWYN!
113987, Tinwold was great...
There was that one particular day, I was thinking you might be on the road to deletion because you were pretty obviously depressed.

But then the next time you were on, it was the same old happy-go-lucky Tinwold. Who was ready to charge in and try to take on a group of 4. :P
114000, RE: Tinwold was great...
Posted by Tinwold on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
All RP, I was kind of bummed for obvious reasons, but that can be talked about later.
113938, RE: Ok no but seriously...
Posted by Kraldinor on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
A great ally, which was most of the time, and a frustrating opponent when required. The biggest debt Kraldinor owed Olthundor however was seeing what was going on with the Valentine's day quest letting me pre-emptively shape his a bit.

Thanks for having the patience to traipze around the swamp with me, even though I never did find what I was looking for. In retrospect, I should have just let you lead.
113988, Me leading wouldn't have worked...
...I hate that swamp. Not good at all for leading around in it. I can find Jara ok and the Keep to some degree but in general, I just hate that place. :P

Kraldinor was one of the few Imperials who seemed to login regardless of odds against him. Props for that. Great ally in the lower levels (and often, if Balance allowed, higher up).

Congrats on High Priestmanshipdom.
113939, F*ck
Posted by Oqa on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
It was a real shame when I saw you went Nexus (and I went Fort)... we made a great team man. Damn you!
Still, even after that we had great moments. Good roleplay, you really have an answer to everything, huh?
113989, Not everything...
...still not sure where you were going with Oqa's RP - she seemed sort "into" Olthundor sometimes but then she'd just be like "Nevermind."

I'm assuming that's exactly what you were going for.

Yeah, the RP when we were leveling up in the lower levels was pretty great. Some of the funnest stuff on CF can happen when people treat leveling as a RP opportunity instead of a chore. (I'm guilty of the latter, as much as the next guy, FWIW, most of the time).
113948, Going after you that one time...
Posted by Buereunus on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I had a fetish for collecting powerful artifacts to eat as well. Also part of my roleplay. You had strange bracers, thus, you had to die. Beyond that, if darkness tipped, I went after all of you, if not, I left you alone.

You had a good vibe from a Nexus standpoint. Nexus is hard to pull off actually if your goal is not to jade people. I think you did that well.
113990, Oh I don't blame you at all for attacking
...and really neither did Olthundor. Didn't stop him from "hoping ya bled ta death, ya bastid." Heh.

I worried, when I said that, that you'd perceive some slightly-ooc whining like "Hey I gave you a nice helmet deal just yesterday, leave me alooooowun!" But no that really wasn't it. I kind of, in fact, expected you to swoop in on me most of the time. Or halfway, at least.
113951, Very tough for a dwarf
Posted by Gredoor on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Man you were tough and we had some epic struggles. My favorite was probably the time you and I were mid-range battling around the ruins and then you barely killing me at the doctor. That was an adrenaline rush.

You were classy and fun to fight with but man do I HATE dwarves with full pwent and the holy mark. When that thing fired it was time to GTFO.

Thank you for providing a foil to the growing Village and for keeping the Village in line by crushing us a few times :P.
113991, Gredoor was badass
I finally started to get into a tiny bit of a groove when fighting you (using HTH really worked a lot better than swords had, once I had ironhands perfected and enhanced reactions working for me) but never did I feel "comfortable" fighting you.

Between you and (especially) Bosephus, I really started to hate all svirfneblin there for a while. Went on a murdering spree in Lower Cragstone just to IC let off some steam. :P
113955, Hey..
Posted by Amaranthe on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
It was not my intention to give anyone a reward on the scope of having a legacy, but the way it played out, seeing all the interactions side-by-side, including some truly abysmal ones that left a bee in my bonnet, your roleplay stood out heads and tails above so many of the others. I figured if people had been given a legacy for writing a winning role in a role contest, I figured demonstrating superior *actual* roleplay was deserving, too.

I chose Fortress of the Spirit because it seemed like a relatively minor way to go with a legacy, while at the same time making a lot of IC sense - that after having his mind disturbingly controlled by love spell, Olthundor would harden himself against future mental assaults.

(And by the way to the players reading this, no, I had zero idea this was Twist when I approached/rewarded him.)
113992, Well, it was a cool interaction...
Rydell and Tinwold playing along really helped too, so I'm glad they got some rewardationage too.
113959, I don't know if someone else already responded with thi...
Posted by mage on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
But it does super age you also. The turning evil thing was new to me. I once got that sword with one of my evil characters, and sold it for like 150 gold to another character in their late 20s. I figured they would notice the aging and stop using it quickly. They ended up age dying with like 20 something hours. Then I felt like crap. :(
113993, Yeah I know it super-ages you.
...I was planning on that happening (to some degree).

But yeah, the turning evil thing? Makes TOTAL sense. Just didn't know it did it (I've only had the sword with a mummy before, so...yeah).
113935, I had this pegged as you.
Posted by Sarien on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You helped me 'get into' the swing of things with Bofin dude. This is the 3rd time we've had morts in the same cabal. I had a feeling it was you from your happy go lucky easy attitude. I always made sure to try and help you back strange bracer runs/etc whenever I could. You really did show me a lot regarding mages/wands, but I just couldn't make shifter be fun for me.

Thanks a bunch for your help.

-Sarien/Bofin
113994, Curious what my tells were?
I mean, I figured a guy who yelled Har! a lot - people would think "Bet that's Twist! Wait, no, he wouldn't ACTUALLY yell Har! would he?"

Was it that? Or other stuff. Did you have it pegged specifically as me, or just as "either X, Y, or Z?" If specifically me, what set me apart from Y and Z?

It was fun leveling with you but once you got a form you weren't happy with I could tell your days were numbered.
114006, RE: Curious what my tells were?
Posted by Sarien on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Well,

What sets you apart for me is the way your neutral/good aligned characters handle 'noobs'

While I suppose I don't necessarily fall under your 'run of the mill' noob, I did interact with you from the position of a newer player (or in my case, one who hadn't played in 3 years).

Anyways, the Twist character is the guy who in my experiences will always help his cabal mates despite their shortcomings. Ergo, you will take the time to walk noob through explore areas, and while doing so will make a decent effort that they actually 'LEARN' the area. The twist character points out facts about area's and is an awesome tour-guide. The non Twist character just runs you through barking a few orders so you get your obs exp. This specific behavior lumps you into a set of 3 players I have played with. Starbright (Humbert) Twist (Woldrun/Olthundor) and Quird (Quirdend).

What really narrows it down, is the Twist character generally is more selfless than the other 2. You didn't ask me to help you with Pwent/Strange bracers, I happened along and helped you. Which points to your 'edge' in the self reliant category making you Twist, rather than one of the other two.

-Sarien
114009, Hey thanks.
I appreciate the feedback. I'm unlikely to change that behavior, though, so while it is good to know, it probably won't help me to stop being spotted. :P

Ironically, I inherited this sort of behavior from the people who showed ME through the various places like that. I think Daevryn was the first one to take me through Trothon many moons ago, and we sat and waited while I tried to figure out the riddles. I was WAY worse at them than most of the people I walk through there, FWIW. :P

Humbert showed me a few things as various incarnations, and Arrna showed me a few things too. Minyar has shown me stuff with good explanation as well. Plenty of others too, I'm sure, but these come to mind right off the top. :)
114011, Your thief was well hidden from tells actually.
Had no clue it was you when we spent like 3 hours exploring Dis that one time. But you did seem very observant, quietly taking it in from the background, asking to see an item or two to lore it then never asking to keep anything. Shoulda known!
114012, RE: Hey thanks.
Posted by The-me on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Spending ten hours with Daevryn once changed my entire awareness of cf not only did I find out so much useful stuff, but saw some of the most awesome and comprehensive rp, if you can get into a group with him he is a delight. I fought Olthundor and Raj alot as Deward and man did those two builds rape me down, I think I got a few lucky flurries on Olthundor but never enough to kill him, when the rng progged for you it was amazing, when it didnt meh :) I always seem to be on opposing sides from Twist characters, and sadly people seem to be more competent when he is around :) good times
113945, RE: BAHAHA you moron!
Posted by Raj on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
This makes me sad. RL gets super busy for about a week and you not only go super badass, but you also go super dead. Way to be.

I would never have pegged this as Twist after our group chat at the Inners that one day. So you threw me a curveball with that.

This character was awesome, and I hope you know how much Raj liked you.

113995, Yeah that was an interesting talk...
...it hearkened me back to a time, many many moons ago, when I was playing Lachdanan, and arguing over CB with Tharena (who was a Knight Heroimm) about how Honor and Honesty have nothing to do with each other.

Meanwhile Cador was actually on as another mortal in Knights and was arguing on my side, but Tharena swore up and down she was right and she had been told she was right by Cador himself.

THAT was a frustrating day. The talk you and I participated in was nothing but a speedbump compared to that. And it ended up pretty well. :)
113998, RE: BAHAHA you moron!
Posted by orangepowered on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I realized how tedious the 'help the shifter' job got, and as I put Olthundor through that with Gamarik I realized I couldn't do it to you again. Thank you for helping me with my black. I hated that place, but would have hated not having it worse.

I thoroughly enjoyed hanging with Olthundor. I did occasionally feel that Tinwold and Olthundor were a thang and knew if it was the three of us I would not be the bonded one. Part of that is because I was air though. I hope to play on your side again in the future.
113999, To be brutally honest...
When it came to Gamarik and Tinwold and Olthundor bonding, a lot of the choice came down to "which of these guys is more likely to die if not bonded to me?"

Sorry Tinny but you know it's true. :P
114001, RE: To be brutally honest...
Posted by orangepowered on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I understand, I just wasn't able to be a live eye in the sky by talking to my bondmate as much as I had envisioned.