Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subject(DELETED) [BATTLE] Matren the Legend of the Battlefield
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=112402
112402, (DELETED) [BATTLE] Matren the Legend of the Battlefield
Posted by Death_Angel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Mon Dec 17 15:33:47 2012

At 8 o'clock PM, Day of Thunder, 31st of the Month of Winter
on the Theran calendar Matren perished, never to return.
Race:arial
Class:warrior
Level:51
Alignment:Neutral
Ethos:Chaotic
Cabal:BATTLE, the BattleRagers, Haters of Magic
Hours:83
112419, A real goodbye
Posted by Minyar on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Disclaimer - This is my goodbye thread and the views expressed are my own based on my experiences with other characters.

The good:

Cain - You deserve Commander, solid presence in the village since day one, I hope you last a long time, but I have a feeling you won't because unlike many village leaders, I expect that you will play the champ and not do the occassional login deal that many do.

Kelnith - I liked you, people basically went ooc about you and who they think plays you. My experience with you was typically pretty good, but there were a few things that weren't. My one suggestion is that you should let go a little when people make mistakes and not hold it against them for the rest of their lives.

Zadeel - I liked your presence.

Jutley - We had fun together in the rift that one day, I hope you keep trucking.

Rakthic - Liked this champ and I think you have a lot ahead of you, good luck.

Duvam - I liked you a lot, except for the pillars in the middle of Galadon, I think that is a bit iffy for a goodie mage to be throwing down area attacks in a city, but to each their own.

Meelee - Class, that is what I have to say, you were a class act and a fun foe to fight because other than that one time, not your fault btw, i never had too much concern about having to spend the rest of my time logged in trying to equip.

Argh - Dwarf Shaman Fort(blanking on the name) - Like you a lot and had a lot of fun fights with you. Enjoyed that you were like Matren and once raiding aor defending was done, you weren't going out of your way to hunt me and I wasn't doing the same to you. Matren didn't like the war, and thought it was going against what was truly needed and distracting the village, but he also agreed that Oshui and CO needed to be brought down.

The bad:
Oshui - Douche - not sure what else to say. You killed me fair and square in a fight, then came to raid with others. I was forced to run for it and so you chased me all the way to the underdark to kill me again. Gotta love the multi-kill on a neutral arial, nothing says goodie leadership like that.

Rahedra - You fulled me on eastern after I died to a gank of evil goons, right down to my newbie breadz. You then ran away without even attempting to fight me. You were the only exception Matren would have made to his Fortress focus. Again, great goodie qualities there, full looting the neutral arial because he took three pieces of your gear. Oh..thanks for posting ooc stuff on DIO's along with your edited log.

Zarkyem - Giant says "Zarkyem has joind us in the fray of battle." Zarkyhem says, "We got the orb?" Way to play a scion in battle. If you want to kill fortress people, join another cabal, but once Tia started that war all you could think of was taking the orb first...always. Even if tactically it didn't make sense..oh, and then you would typically log off afterward leaving myself and maybe another to defend against the three cabals. Remind me to remove you from my AIM contacts if I haven't already. :)

112420, Word of the day: Champ
Posted by Rayihn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Reggie, Reggie, Reggie. This character seemed middle of the pack to me. I appreciated that you weren't all like YAY war with Fort I get to pad my pk ratio on hapless Fort paladins. But beyond that I did not see too much to step up and above. That said, I also didn't watch you extensively.

But to the real reason I'm posting - you have not been happy with any of your characters sine you came back. I'm not sure if this is trying to find a character that speaks to you like Lornis did and failing, or if the game has changed for you or what, but if every experience is bad it can't always be because of everyone else. I think you need to take a step back and reorganize your fun stick some. I think you're a great player and you know I lurve you even when you're bitching, and I want you to enjoy CF for what it is.

So figure out how to enjoy it again. Seriously!
112421, RE: A real goodbye
Posted by Rahedra on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM

Log was not edited. Why you accuse me of anything, I'm not sure.

And the majority of the loot I got was my things back. The rest I sold as I needed gold and you had not really proven you deserved anything back given prior circumstances. I didnt have time to loot specific items in front of a shaman/conjurer/fire warrior. Thus I grabbed what I could with my elf strength.

Good luck with your next.
112436, Straight up lies bro, but keep thinking that.
When I came back all that was in my corpse was my weapons and I know you did "get all" because the iron hammers were on the ground. You took EVERYTHING, minus six weapons. You took my sack bro, sorry, lets not keep lying. Your log was edited, or, parsed to only show what you wanted. BTW - Maybe you shouldn't post your ooc madness while your character is active. I hope you don't get maran, because of your ooc actions let alone your crap IC actions.
112437, Alright.

Keep deleting after role contests with the same tired sense of entitlement. Be it to role, gear, imm attention.

Your deletion and frustration was very Thror-esque. Can't believe you didn't get tattooed.

Enjoy yourself. I'll keep trying to enjoy the game.
112440, Did I say anything about the role contest?
I didn't expect to win the role contest. I was disappointed to write a role at level...10? or so and get my imm exp for it at level 50, about 75 hours later. That is a lot of time spent in between.

Just admit you did a "get all" and you ran away. Did you say anything to Matren afterward about returning gear? Nope, and guess what, I didn't ask anything other than, did you take everything.
112441, RE: Did I say anything about the role contest?

I think I see where the disconnect is. While you are flaming me you failed to read what I wrote.

Note that I did not deny doing a g all corpse. I stated I grabbed what I could via my elf strength as I cant target loot infront of Jinjer/Meelee/Boart. And I also said kept what was mine, which I consider a majority of the usefulness that I got.. and sold what wasn't. Or if you are talking about your sack with some food and pendants. I dropped that in azuremain because you threw a fit about it.

Thus the part where Rahedra had to consider your actions against her in the past. Re: Vulture of scion. And decided it wasn't worth the effort to face the strong current of the river to retrieve it.

I think you make a bigger deal out of it then it is.

Any other clarification?
112443, You are a funny guy.
I took four items from you, 1 when you fell during the raid and it was cheap, I'll give you that. The other items from when I killed you 1 on 1, or 1 on 2 if you realize that I was fighting you and a vulture and your elemental trying to defend the village. Oh, and a paladin that came as well. I didn't throw a fit, I asked if you took my sack. Attemping to full loot a guy who is 1:neutral 2:Just got ganked by a Scion group is stellar goodie RP...including the running away and selling my things. You are trying to tell me your actions were IC and not because you were butt hurt? Why did you post a log on dios that clearly didn't show the whole story and claim, I, as a villager should not have attacked you? Was that IC too? You have some serious RP ability to be able to post on dios in character...good job.
112454, RE: You are a funny guy.

At least there is a smile on your face now, right?

Paladin came after I had died. He logged on after. I repeat, after.
I died because the arial was out of form and I had bled him out a bit. You cut off my path and typed 'cranial rahedra'. But that is your choice.

The group that killed you was not a scion group. There you are incorrect, yet again, about the situation. I also died to them and had just reformed.

Why are we discussing what is Goodie rp or not. Rahedra attempted to loot what you took in the quickest fashion capable given the dire circumstances. Selling it was the burden of the excess that immediately proved beneficial for the gold lost--which is used to heal from the scions and help profit an orphanage.

I am not hurt at all, actually. I just wish you'd take a step back and calculate your actions and repercussions and stop being so dependant upon feedback/crying for attention for yourself and just play the game.

As for the RC comment. Its very typical for you to delete right after that or some other opportunity that arises to gain a lot of power quickly(IE: Rites is an example). I saw this coming and just wished to share my observation for your improvement.

And really, good luck.
112466, Well...
I don't believe any of what you are saying in this post. Meelee isn't Scion? I know Jinjer and Boart aren't, but they were working with Meelee, which in my opinion, makes them a Scion gang. maybe I'm wrong about Meelee being Scion, but I don't think I am.

How is my dying to a group of three "dire" for you? Oh..because you had such a small window to loot back your four items.

I had no expectation of winning anything in the rites, and don't think I deserved to. I just wanted to participate in them. I am going to assume you never have because you would understand why I wanted to be part of them. Heck, Matren would have been happy to see Zarkyem gone for good, that would have been worth the whole thing.
112473, You died and lost your gear
Posted by Tolnum on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Why is he obligated to return anything, or protect your corpse from anyone who could stumble along?

You died on eastern and got no gear back and now you are whining?

wow, just wow
112479, You misunderstand completely...let me restate it.
I didn't die to Rahedra, he never killed me in a 1v1 fight, I am not sure he killed me at all. I killed him two or three times. What happened was I was summoned nad bashed down by Boart, Jinjer, and Meelee. He was also on eastern, and waited for me to die, ran in and did "get all corpse" and I assume quaffed a return because they didn't kill him.

My point was that was crap RP for an elf maran, unless the point was to get it all and return it so the evil guys couldn't get it. I didn't complain in character and I'm not "complaining" now. I am stating, my opinion, is that it was crap RP. so...wow...just, wow.
112431, RE: A real goodbye
Posted by Jutley on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Yes, we did. That was one of the funnest strings of battles I've had with this character. Sorry to read you couldn't participate in the rites due to OOC stuff. Just getting to compete was a lot of fun.
112446, :)
Posted by Duvam on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I tried more directed spells at a villager once. once. Well okay not quite true but funny right? FWIW It WAS fun. GLWYN.
112447, RE: A real goodbye
Posted by Merrol on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>
>Argh - Dwarf Shaman Fort(blanking on the name) - Like you a
>lot and had a lot of fun fights with you. Enjoyed that you
>were like Matren and once raiding aor defending was done, you
>weren't going out of your way to hunt me and I wasn't doing
>the same to you. Matren didn't like the war, and thought it
>was going against what was truly needed and distracting the
>village, but he also agreed that Oshui and CO needed to be
>brought down.

I had fun fighting you, too, though I don't think I was ever able to put you in any real danger. You almost got me once or twice that I remember. I'm not going to go into my views on the Battle-Fort war until this character has passed, but thank you for recognizing Merrol for how he was trying to come across.

You've always been a solid player. My recommendation in regards to your other posts is that you roll three in a row that are just designed to blow off some steam. Not that'd you'd be an ass with them, but characters that you just play to... well, play. I'd be willing to bet good money that at least one of those three will turn out to be more successful than you'd expect.

Good luck on your next.
112453, Raiding fort first
Posted by Zarkyem on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
The reason i would ask about the orb first is quite simple. The fortress by far has the most prensence out of anyone we warred with. If there was a chance to grab orb vs 1-2 defenders i would take it asap.

The one time we did it your way you didn't even show at the island or chasm. Then while taking thosw items fort went from having one defender in my pk to four.
112464, The one time...
I was under level 30 with no bandages...man...how effective that would have been. I think you like to pad your pk ratio on the forties, and the one time i gave in and did it your way. We ended up not being able to get the other items because more fort logged in and so magic was still strong because the Fort has NO BEARING on the veil. Oh...and you logged off after you died to them leaving a small few of us to defend. Sorry, you are an opportunistic player, and that is my view. When you sent me the IM about how someone sent you a log of me and you basically said I was a bad villager we were done. Go have fun in IRC or whatever cheating method you and the others use now. Hey, what are you down to now with Zarkyem dead? Two other characters? Cool, maybe you can be a presence with one of them and log into the other to see if you should log into that one.
112458, Goodbye
Posted by Oshui on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I am sorry you feel the way you do about your experience with Oshui. If I recall this situation correctly, you attacked me and died the first time. The second time we decided to take the head against 2 of you, killed one of you while raiding (Zarkyem?) and had you writhing. You were running away and we had 3 people continuing to raid, so I chased.

It has been my experience that villagers that get away typically heal up and are back in the village before you have completed a raid, so I make it a point (if we have enough coverage raiding) to attempt to run down whoever is running away to prevent them coming back and picking off the weakest raider. I suppose Oshui is controversial and I won't get too far into it until my death thread, but keeping Villagers from picking off the Fortress is among Oshui's top priorities (after Maran vs. Evil duties). You see it as douchebag multikilling, but I know if you had run away you'd have healed up and been able to kill someone.

I was looking forward to our fights and where you would go with the character. Sorry to see you go like this.
112467, My Opinion
You going out of your way to kill off a neutral villager, is the same as a villager going out of their way to kill of a Fort Shaman. My opinion is it is bad RP for a maran, especially a leader. That is my opinion and not yours. My opinion could be wrong. :)
112460, STOP DELETING ON ME
Posted by Cainargen on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I swear man, Vaaslin and Martren were some of Cain's favorites. You keep building me up and taking me down!

I understand your frustration with the scheduling of the Rites. Take it as a blessing that you have a lot going on IRL and couldn't make time for CF. The alternative during the holidays can be a little harsh sometimes :)

I'm sorry I couldn't convince you to take something other than pole. My STRONG advice to anyone considering pole spec:
-If you're not a giant, take it for chargeset and bleeding from slice. Any cutoffs you get are a bonus. Bonus!
-If you are a giant, maximize cutoff by using your terrain. Less exits = less chance of successful flee.

Anyway, when you care about your chars and are enjoying it, you're a privilege to be around. Maximize that side of things, play for fun and for other players, and you'll be all good.

See you soon!

Cain
112469, Sad to see you go.
Posted by Arratok on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I had figured after not hearing from or seeing you for a few days leading up to it that you were going to miss out on the rights. A bit of a shame there, I think you could of brought a nice dynamic to it all. I could see you had a few bouts of frustration with this char and I hope things take a better swing with the next.

For what its worth I think you were playing an exceptional defender, and I wish I got to get to know the character more.

Good luck with your next endeavor.
112472, Sorry I missed you in my thread.
I liked you as a character and I'm happy for you with the rites outcome. I had intended to make the rites, but the weekend they happened was probably my busiest in a long time. I had my office Holiday Party on Friday and since I am the GM I had zero choice in going and doing other things to get ready for it. Saturday my wife works and we had a party at our house on Sunday so I was cleaning and watching two little boys. It doesn't leave much time to login and play. Oh well, Life happens.
112414, I didn't interact with you much but.
Posted by somerandomguy. on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and only my opinion.

It really takes a big person to step back and hold off his rant from the public. This would be a bigger and better game if more people had more restraint ant self respect.
112415, Well..I posted it and edited it out, because I think its pointless. nt
nt
112404, RE: (DELETED) [BATTLE] Matren the Legend of the Battlefield
Posted by Malakhi on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
ETA spelling changes, damned iphone.

Saw you mentioned your role on Dios. I rated it.

Just so you know, we can't tell how many hours it's been since you entered your role. I knew yours had been sitting there for a week plus, though, at the time I rated it, and I attributed that to its several-chapter length. The effort you put into it was noticeable, but I couldn't help but feel you could have gotten the same backstory across with one, maybe two entries.

Also, I felt that you could have used a third entry to give an idea of your character's personality quirks, etc. that would help explain some of the stuff I noticed about you from watching (I was often curious about some of the choices Matren made and none of it was in his role, really - did he hate forties or what?? A good percentage of the kills I watched were you going out of your way to kill fort warriors, but your role focused on orcs and evil doers - in fact, it really could have been written for a fort warrior).

I think a well written 3 chapter role with some insight into character actions is bound to receive quicker attention than a 8 chapter backstory novelette - though that's of course just my personal opinion. It takes a long time to work through and evaluate seven + chapters on telnet.

Anyway well fought from what I can tell, and sorry the delayed rating ruined your experience so much!

Also, happy holidays :)
112405, Farewell
Rant Deleted - Champ was unfun and different things made it that way, some of which were my choice, and some that were out of my control.
112406, RE: Not sure where any of that came from.
Posted by Malakhi on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Honestly, I watched you whack forties a few times. I'm not talking about a log.

I am not in any way faulting you for it, I just didn't see anything in your role about it. I mean re-read your role. Wouldn't it surprise you seeing this poor Arial that had been wronged by an evil sorcerer, and raised by dwarves, fighting orcs, would start cutting down forties without - from what I could tell - was much hesitation?

I was just confused. No faulting you, just thought that could be the missing "third chapter" in your next character's role.

I can't comment on the rest, I was just the guy that rated your role and watched a bunch of your PKs (like I said, well fought on those), and tried to answer your comment re: waiting a while to get a role rating.
112409, Nevermind
NT
112407, Rites
I was very disappointed to find out that the rites came and went within three days and because of holiday parties wasn't able to log in between the time the announcement happened and the rites happened. So..delete delete, last straw in a line of things that were annoying to me.
112410, RE: Not sure where any of that came from.
Posted by HammerSong on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Not that I need to defend myself (or any other immortal) but the relationship between immortals and players isn't one to one. Sometimes we "just don't get to you." I never would have expected this reaction from you but heck, it's been one of those years...

1: I've spent the last couple of weeks focusing on things non-Battle. In fact, sometimes I manage to log in and focus on things with non-cabal and non-Sapper and non-religion. Sorry you didn't manage to fit into those areas.

2: On Rites: I didn't schedule the Rites. In fact, I was out of town and informed the team who did that I wouldn't be available. I just happened to log in "right as I got home," to spend an additional 5 hours online to help make it a success. Needless to say, I completely pissed off the lady on account of it. Guess I pissed off two.

3: I have no idea what the comment about the Fortress is so I won't even touch it. For the most part, I attempted to stay out of the Fort/Battle War as it was a mortal war and Thror doesn't really try to involve himself in mortal affairs anymore.

You're right. There is something out of balance. There is this little sense of entitlement that some members of our player base have. That's a damn shame.
112412, Its ok, I'm just mad in general for some reason.
I expect too much and at times care too much. The champ just became unfun and picking polearm for a second spec didn't help that.

I deleted my rant, so...it is what it is.
112413, I pissed the lady off too!!
Posted by Jutley on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
That's why I had to cut out ASAP. I promised that it should only take a couple hours but then it began late... Thanks for stepping in and running it even though it earned you some grief at home.
112416, As you once so politely counseled me....
Posted by Igsoeh on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Re: Pissing off the lady.

"Kick em in the groin!"
112418, This is something I've been trying to address...
Posted by TMNS on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>There is this little sense of entitlement that some members of our player base have.<

It's not "some members". It's nearly the ENTIRE PLAYERBASE.

I had an absurdly long-winded thread about the reasons for this and what I think we could do to fix this on the main board a few months back, and I'm pleasantly surprised that IMMs such as Zulgh and Nepenthe are looking at some of the issues.

But it's a systemic issue that has to do with the culture of the game right now. Players feel like their character is a failure if they don't get all sorts of rewards (and while I understand this line of thought, I completely disagree with it), and get them RIGHT NOW.
112426, RE: This is something I've been trying to address...
Posted by TJHuron on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I'd agree with this. Except I think for a lot of people it isn't they didn't get all sorts of rewards. It's that they didn't get anything.

Part of it is because you see other characters being rewarded, or you've been rewarded in the past with another character, that it's become almost learned behavior to think that if you aren't being rewarded the character is a failure. What makes people angry or indignant is when they feel like their character isn't a failure, yet, they still aren't being rewarded.

I know I've been there. It's a time consuming game where you spend hours of your time and energy into developing a character. And you may think you're doing a great job but you aren't getting any imm-love and you see Bob next to you who has a custom title and a quest skill and you can't understand it because you feel like you've done just as much as he has.

And that's just it. Perspective. A lot of players may feel like they've tried really hard and haven't gotten anything when they don't know what's on the other side of the looking glass. There's not much in-game feedback on what a player could be doing to better their character. They usually don't know what the imm's opinions are of them. Maybe they think they have an awesome role when an imm just doesn't understand it. There could be all kinds of reasons. And they don't get any feedback until they've deleted and flushed that 100, 200 or 300 hours down the drain by deleting and then get to hear about it on the boards. And then most of that is either the same old cliche's such as "I liked you alot", "you had great RP" or "I was just about to do something special for you..."(I had to throw that one in :) ) or it's something negative or negativity veiled in constructive criticism (most at least).

At least I can give Malakhi props in this thread for explaining why he critiqued this role the way he did. But, it also supports my point of perspective. Minyar had no way of knowing he was being viewed this way and could have been thinking he had a perfectly adequate role the whole time, to his detriment.
112429, Just saying I'd rather have memories of defending with Doban...
Posted by TMNS on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
...against horrible odds with no chance of survival, than a shiny new quest skill/power/legacy.

Just saying (and I'm sure others agree with me).
112434, That's a helluva good point.
Posted by TJHuron on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
It's easy to forget about stuff like that which really is what makes this game fun.
112439, I would rather have playerbase back to 50+ which....
would make what you are saying more likely to happen. Those are great memories. Jutley and I had a blast taking on four nexans at their inners with just the two of us, but I'm not sure they had a fun time with it.

Honestly, for this champ, just a little nudge in any direction from Thror or someone related to his religion would have been enough on that front. I'm not even saying i wanted tons of interaction, but to spend a long time writing a role based upon following him, going to his shrine, and stuff like that...just a little, "Oi, yer fargin git, nice poundin o tha mage" would have sufficed for a long time.

The straw was two days notice on the rites though. The rites are one of the funnest things that you can participate in IMO and I felt cheated out of the chance. Yes, my schedule, my gripe, but two days "seems" like a very short amount of time for something so huge to a battle player.
112444, I would like to say something else.
Many of us who play choose imms, such as Thror, and Rayihn, and Whisydan because we know they are stellar IMMS who RP with their followers. I wasn't asking for a skill, or legacy or even a tattoo. My role, in my opinion, was unique and just a little tweak would have been all I needed. When I say tweak I just mean just an acknowledgement that anything I was doing even mattered. TMNS is right though, I gotta stop playing for that because then I set myself up for disappointment.

I want you and Ysal to understand that I honestly like both of you very much as Imms, but I felt two days of notice was a huge slap in the face when it came to the rites. I am pretty sure I logged on at least last Thursday but Friday was very busy for me, as well as Saturday and Sunday. I apologize for the in game note as well, because that kind of thing isn't like me, but this time of year is very tough for me personally. I'm not going to bother posting why because I doubt it would be respected.

I think a lot of things in CF are awesome and the ability to do different things and choose different paths is great. I just honestly need to stop caring soooo much what people think of my roles and characters. Anyway, I hope you can accept the apology and understand more of why I was upset.
112474, RE: I would like to say something else.
Posted by HammerSong on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Like I said, this was little unexpected from you. I accept your apology and hope you can get over this character quickly and become vested in another successful one.

You have a lot of good advice coming out of this experience. Take the good advice and use it to your advantage.
112477, Well
Posted by Ysaloerye on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I have to admit being a bit surprised at the note, more so finding out it was you.
Yeah the short notice on the Rites was my fault, I had been juggling with work and RL and the rest and eager not to let the cabal go without a mortal leader too long.
Massive props to Thror, because he stepped up even though he wasn't supposed to be there. Both of us faced down the evil glares of our spouses to get the Rites done, and even with short notice it was well attended. Sorry you missed it.
On the whole I like Matren and think his role was interesting. Sorry you ended so jaded.
112475, What are the players actually entitled to?
Posted by Tolnum on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I am curious as to your thoughts on this as you seem to speak your mind on these forums.