Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subject(DELETED) [BATTLE] Mardrorn Hardborn the Skjaldic Apprentice of the Hammer, Hunted by Fortress
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=112306
112306, (DELETED) [BATTLE] Mardrorn Hardborn the Skjaldic Apprentice of the Hammer, Hunted by Fortress
Posted by Death_Angel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Wed Dec 12 20:19:56 2012

At 2 o'clock AM, Day of Deception, 16th of the Month of the Winter Wolf
on the Theran calendar Mardrorn perished, never to return.
Race:dwarf
Class:bard
Level:51
Alignment:Neutral
Ethos:Neutral
Cabal:BATTLE, the BattleRagers, Haters of Magic
Hours:187
112308, Adios, Amigos.
Posted by Stunna on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I am leaving CF. I debated saying something vs. slipping away quietly as most do and decided to post a short farewell. There have been times in the past 17 years I have left CF for a year or two thinking I was unlikely to return but didn't want to say anything so I didn't look like an ass if I showed back up. This little post is simply for my personal closure.

My last 300 or so hours on CF have been mostly unfun and highly frustrating. Before that was a year and a half break and before that was 200 hours of more unfun. Interestingly, the most unfun part of all three was the same immortal, who no matter where you go in CF you can't seem to get away from. Not since I played Dungard around 2008 (I think) have I had a net positive experience with a character. I could go into all the reasons why I think CF is on the wrong path but it would avail nothing. So, I won't. I think the MUD has changed, its staff has definitely changed and more than anything, I've changed. My CF-buddies tell me the answer is to care less. That's not my nature.

CF and I had a 17 year run. It's outlived its use to me and I to it. Feels a bit like cutting off a gangrenous limb. To my friends, you know we'll still talk. To everyone else, good luck and best wishes.

Consummatum est.
112311, Too bad
Posted by Akresius on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
From both a mortal and immortal perspective, I thought you were a dwarf's dwarf. Excellent job with Mard. I'm sorry you feel that way about CF, but despite what you think, it is possible to have fun if you focus on playing. your. character. From what I saw, you did a great job with that.

Sorry you're leaving.
112322, Farewell
Posted by Zephon on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I actually liked your character. But if the game is unfun to you...that is unfortunate. I keep coming back after all these years because I still enjoy it. Even when an Imm had pissed me off with a character. I came back with something different, I really liked the same imm.

I look back at the highlights of past characters and the highlights were ever so high, and the lows were horrible.
I was really bad back a few years ago even. But I am still working on that.
I am still curious as to your reasons for leaving. But I wish you well.
112323, Bummer
Posted by Whiysdan on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I liked what I saw of this character (which was a lot) and while I don't follow forum personas at all, it always sucks to lose a player.

Best of luck in whatever the future holds for you.

=w=
112325, I'll still remember the good times we had!
Posted by TMNS on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
They were good.

Good luck man. Don't be a stranger! Come to Dio's every once in a while!
112326, I'm sorry I wasn't there for you more
Posted by Cain on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I know you were just getting hounded for being a dwarf, for being a dwarf bard, for being a villager, and for being a thror follower, and my heart absolutely went out to you.

You were so great with RP, it's rare for me to find people that are just seemless to interact with, and you did that to a T.

I'll miss you, and I'm sorry I wasn't around more to support and have your back - but them's the breaks for a Noldar especially.

If you find the urge again, we'll be here. Or atleast I will!

Cainargen
112337, So long man, I don't think we were ever "CF" friends but we played a lot...
Posted by Minyar on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
and our characters always interacted a lot over the years. I completely understand and agree with you that CF has changed significantly, some for the better, and some for the worse. Unfortunately, I think the hardest thing for me is just the lack of pbase that makes logging in at times very boring because the chances for interaction have decreased. I much preferred logging in to have 30 people to fight, drink, and play with, but now you are lucky at times to have 8 or so. Moving to the west coast didn't help this much either, unfortunately. I wish you the best of luck, and if you ever start playing League of Legends, look me up...I use my old rager name - Tinsen.

Later
112340, Psh, league of legends is for newbs. DOTA! nt
Posted by Artificial on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
nt
112345, RE: Adios, Amigos.
Posted by Daevryn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I don't think I ever really understood you, and that remains more true than ever today.
112351, Hilarious! and totally agree.
Posted by Bajula on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Don't get me wrong I mostly like you Stunna, but many times IC
I'd get a WTF? moment and THAT'S when I'd guess you were the player.
:) I don't know if it is good or bad that you leave me scratching
my head in game and on death threads, but hey who cares you were a
long time player and a part of the community so this is like hearing
a distant cousin died. I hope you come back, but I do understand the
cutting off a rotting limb there. Either way more power to you.
112355, I love myself some bajula.
Posted by Krilcov on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You say things that I cannot say in amerikan. Gg commrade.
112352, Shame
Posted by incognito on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I liked your char and it changed my opinion re odd combos to being favourable. Always wondered whether you were being Ganked badly by fort.

It's not great if an imm has a downer on you because it will colour their perception of all they witness. However, presumably you'd concede that whomever this imm is, they do some positive stuff too? That maybe you've personally benefitted from?
112354, People move on and change.
Posted by Krilcov on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Life evolves, keep your head up and thanks for all the interactions.
112388, I didn't understand
Posted by Oshui on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
the note you sent to 'all' from this character. It was clear you hated the current Fortress leadership and Baer, but what was the purpose of going OOC and saying that the Fortress leaders were over rewarded with gifts they didn't earn?

You realize that you were playing a dwarf bard right? What did you do IC that let you 'earn' a dwarf bard? What did you expect would happen when you directly attacked Baer IC? I do not understand you complaining that she ruined your CF experience but you rolled a character that specifically targeted her and her followers for verbal attack.

It seems like she would be pretty easy to avoid if that is really what you were after.
112389, RE: I didn't understand
Posted by KaguMaru on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>the note you sent to 'all' from this character. It was clear
>you hated the current Fortress leadership and Baer, but what
>was the purpose of going OOC and saying that the Fortress
>leaders were over rewarded with gifts they didn't earn?

That note to all seemed entirely IC to me. Battle has been at war with Empire for having mage leaders before, so why not Fortress? It seems very much a correct Battlerager attitude to state that mages have power they didn't earn, and the more powerful the mage the more true this is.

I liked the Mardrorn character despite his being an enemy over several characters, we interacted and I enjoyed RPing with him. The Oshui character has equally been an enemy of several characters of mine and all I've seen from him is opportunistic PKing devoid of any spoken exchange, even as a neutral character. Maybe that is his RP and he has more than one dimension when seen by his allies, I don't know.

But maybe back off from a guy who's just posted a dignified farewell? He had every opportunity to spew as much vitriol as he liked in a goodbye post but he didn't name drop a single player or immortal. He's gone so let it be.
112392, People seemed really divided on that note
Posted by Rayihn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Some, including me, saw it like Oshui did, but others felt like you did on it. The player probably didn't intend to come off as he was interpreted but misunderstandings happen to the best of us.
112395, My Understanding was
Posted by The-me on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
The note was a continuation of the Commanders policy, and wasnt OOC or an attack on Baer - But on super powered mages, of which the Fortess and Scion both had a good deal of.
112396, Neutral parties (likely) all saw it as in-char and benign. nt
Posted by Dallevian on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I have to use likely because I obviously can't speak for EV-ER-Y-ONE.
112397, I saw it as a bit of both
Posted by incognito on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
The note itself seemed ok but it was clear why the player had chosen to adopt
this rp position. But it was an interesting addition to game dynamics.

What I don't get is how someone who was selected, as I understand it,
by you so that they could play a unique combo then goes onto complain
about your pervasive involvement that they can't escape. I mean,
you just did them a favour and they completely ignored that when
listing the negatives.
112450, I think you guys missed his point
Posted by laxman on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
He isn't as frustrated with one person as he is frustrated with the system of CF where one person is basically the choke point for so much.

Honestly raybear if you stopped being so active it would basically put an end to 2 cabals and 80% of empowerment classes. I don't have numbers but I would be surprised if you were not involved in less than 20% of established chars one way or another.

This is not really anything against you as much as it is a plea for someone else to step up as well to provide more options for players.
112462, So much this. SO MUCH THIS. NT
Posted by TMNS on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
NT
112451, RE: Adios, Amigos.
Posted by Zarkyem on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Sad to see you go. I always a smile on my face whenever i logged on and you were around. I kmew you would mix it up whatever the odds.

Don't leave cf, play for your own fun and nobody else's. Just ignore the imms.
112307, Um..
Posted by Inverox on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Come on! I only ever had one big fight with you and it got halted by that darn nightgaunt. I could/should have had you there too! Alas, I'll never have the chance again. I woulda loved to play out some smith on smith battles, as we were both apprentices. I was really looking forward to our interactions and fights after that banter in the Shrine and was far expecting that you'd outlive me.

On the flip side, I'd really like to know what you thought about dwarf bard and anything you found interesting about the character in general.