Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subject(CON LOSS) [FORTRESS] Anerus the Champion of the Virtues, Brave of Heart
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=104248
104248, (CON LOSS) [FORTRESS] Anerus the Champion of the Virtues, Brave of Heart
Posted by Death_Angel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Mon Nov 14 09:21:24 2011

At 10 o'clock PM, Day of Thunder, 31st of the Month of the Long Shadows
on the Theran calendar Anerus perished, never to return.
Race:human
Class:paladin
Level:51
Alignment:Good
Ethos:Orderly
Cabal:FORTRESS, the Fortress of Light
Hours:200
104339, RE: (CON LOSS) [FORTRESS] Anerus the Champion of the Virtues, Brave of Heart
Posted by Anerus on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
At last I got the chance to post!

As my 2nd paladin (first didn't get to hero which many might know which one it was!) and 2nd hero (first was for a year before) I guess I found out many thing about the mechanics of the system. I liked Anerus and all who interacted with him.. but think that champions still need some work. For sure I'm too noob to say it, but anyway, champions need some skills or some change in current skills, or at least a manual to help knowing their weaknesses/strengthes for us newbies! But again, champions will be of my priority of future paladins.
I guess I made a mistake in following Baerinika and becoming a maran! I don't mean that Baer is not good enough, but Anerus was not skilled enough PK wise to make her pride! Baer tried to push Anerus forward, but I have not enough skills to do so yet. I should have become an scribe I guess! this is why I got to the friendship thing and thanks lots for that virtue! you made it exactly as what I wanted! (Anerus was not a good follower of Baer, but she was very good deity for him)
I guess I should work very much on my RP! need some helps for sure. can anyone help me on this?

Eachainn: I felt that I make you angry with my noobness, but I did my best.. thanks for all the helps anyway.
Marshall: Thanks lots for being patient around me, and for all those coins! ;)
Caerdryn: You are cheater? I mean how a paladin can be that strong! I never got even near what you could do! well maybe champion/avenger differences is what made that, or probably I am too much new in front of you! (guess the later!) Special thanks to you who had a huge effect on Anerus's life!
Garwern: Same cheat things about Caerdryn! special curses to you! I always felt Anerus is a crying kid when you were around the fort! you were the hero, and Anerus the useless kid! :D
Angynn: Anerus missed you since the first moment you left! You two didn't do things together that much, but you don't know how Anerus felt sad in your absence!
Argivo: go go! at first I thought you are as new as I am. not sure anymore! You did much much better than what Anerus could do!
Leltinza: I thougt we will have more time together! seems that our times didn't match as much as I thought it will.
other forts: Actually I remember many of you, and have things to write for each one, but I don't know why I had problems with your names, like: "X wakes. good that dwarf friend is here. Bah, he is not dwarf warrior, he is elf healer! or even a giant scribe!" but anyway. I liked all of you very much.

Tzar: How you still forced me forget everything? I had the edge to resist it! You are strong, I wanted more interaction with you, but didn't see enough chances with my role to do so.
Dvalygg: I know one day Anerus will defeat you (eh.. no more chances?).
Eleagra: don't know why but I never feared you! all my defeats against you was avoidable and I knew how to avoid them before we start, but didn't have time to get prepared! those few times that Anerus was prepared, Eleagra ran! Maybe it's the champions capabilities, as I have seen many of stronger fort members have problems with you!
Puhguly: I always wanted to fight you at least once, for that I always checked the balance with you to see if I can bring the issue! almost always balance maintained!
Taerg: before the first battle I thought to myself that Anerus will fall after the first two critical strikes! Never could finish you, but you didn't even get close to do it to me too! I always had the feeling that I can kill Taerg if we fight in some small area with no exits. My main problem is chasing! Might answer why scouts are not as strong as I thought. maybe you were not prepared eachtime?

Not sure if I will be back as a paladin. As I said champions seems to be weak, or atleast not strong enough in most situations. probably wrong idea!

104344, RE: (CON LOSS) [FORTRESS] Anerus the Champion of the Virtues, Brave of Heart
Posted by Caerdryn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I really liked Anerus, and you definitely deserved the title you got.

If you want to survive more often as a paladin, try Defender spec. They are very hard to kill - but also hard to land kills with.

Defender is a great spec to learn paladins with.

I am glad I had an influence in your life. I hope you give paladins another try.

See you on the Road!
104385, Fare well, my brother
Posted by Argivo on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
The seagull cries upon the wind,
the clouds circle as an honor guard,
as I scatter your ashes upon the waves.
What new adventures might your brave heart seek,
fresh from Elysium as the morning's sea foam?

In the beginning I tried to help you, showed where to you re-arm, and make sure you weren't completely overwhelmed by charging forward (something I didn't succeed very often at). By the end, you were teaching me things. And along the way, we fought everyone there was to fight, and it was a lot of fun. I think you and I together could have done legendary things if we had a little more time to work together.

Throwing back Tzarivah and killing the zombie army by ourselves several times in the same night, and then taking the fight to him in the Palace/imperial lands, was a high point. I didn't think we'd even get close, but of course you and I had to try, and then WOW!
Our builds worked together really, really well when we both stick to the plan and stay smart instead of trying to do everything. Sometimes lack of communication made things a little rough.

I can't and don't want to speak for Baerinika, but I can tell you she said that you had a sincere and brave heart, and there isn't a better compliment in the game IMHO.

Sometimes it is hard to understand what you are talking about, or why :) My advice is to make your tells and cb a little less "what i am thinking" and a little more like a conversation where you ask someone else a particular question and then respond to their answer.

I will miss you quite a bit.
104421, RE: Fare well, my brother
Posted by xrus on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
What a poem!

Won't forget the fun with Tzar that night! I had fought him many times, and always failed completely in my own opinion, but that night we proved something new! and as Tzar said, we even, had a chance to finish him too.

All the compliments are enough for me to try another paladin soon (not very soon).

Let me add this! Anerus had two mates in complete different weird situations in Thera!
1st was Argivo, whom they had not enough interaction (in my opinion) to be close friends, but Anerus felt Argi is a close one! seems that the same feelings was there too, so nice!
2nd was Tzar!! whom was a learning mate for Anerus. (I'm sure this relationship was one sided as he seems to have nothing left to learn from a newbie paladin)

I learned many many things about paladins/good-aligned/human/anti-evil/anti-magic/CF from the two by the interactions! some learned directly and some indirectly. Both were good friends to me (real character) and tought me many things. (of course Tzar was a real enemy to Anerus!)
104478, I was probably too nice to you
Posted by Baerinika on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You certainly did not really embrace what it really means to be a proper Baer follower. But at the same time I really have a soft spot for new people and I really appreciate people who try and you surely did that. So I put on "Tolerant Baer" and tried to help you best I could. Reksah gave me alot of #### for being too nice of a Baer lately but that's ok. :) I can impale him whenever I want.

Next time, try an Acolyte, and maybe a healer or bard or support class. It seemed to be what you really wanted to play.

Good luck on your next!

There will be no white flag above my door. - Dido
104499, RE: I was probably too nice to you
True! As I said, I got the feeling from the first moment. Anerus didn't want to be an acolyte, but a maran! and did his best to do so, but it's not an easy path! I have got some ideas to seal a kill now, but it's not very easy.
Thanks for your patience and kindness anyway! Helped me lots!
104502, RE: I was probably too nice to you
Posted by Caerdryn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I'd be happy to give you advice, but really you should ask for tips around the forums (here and QHCF). My last Avenger wasn't as good as Caerdryn, and I got most of my ideas on how to fight from a couple other key players who are really experienced with paladins.
104509, RE: I was probably too nice to you
So could you give me the tips here? or I should ask in other forums?

I was thinking that champions are more defensive than defenders, aren't they? I could keep Anerus from falling in many cases, but I pushed forward knowingly to see what happens, and I learned many things. I can keep a champion much much better now, if it's the plan. but still have some problems with killing.
104510, RE: I was probably too nice to you
Posted by Daevryn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Defender and Champion are probably the two most defensive paladin dedications, with Defender being the automatic transmission to Champion's manual. If you're going to be actively using skills like Fend and Marshall in a given fight, probably the Champion is a better tank -- if you're not, the Defender is way ahead.
104527, Only at a simplistic level, I'd argue
Posted by incognito on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
It isn't all that hard for a number of classes to deprive a champion of his weapon, despite the retaliatory skill, at which point they are near-defenseless. There's also less upside potential in terms of shield of light and defiance.

I also found that marshal's duration was too short in most cases, and it was a problem not knowing how long fend was lasting, other than observing that your tanking was bad again (which could even be rng). Plus if you got bashed you might not get a chance to fend. Also if you are using fend and marshall you're not really packing much in terms of offense, and they do say, the best defense is a good offense.

I can see marshal being better in groups of significant size, and it was good vs mobs, but I rarely got to group for pvp.
104585, RE: Only at a simplistic level, I'd argue
To be honest, I agree with almost all you wrote. As I said before, it seems that champions need some changes! (maybe a chance to autofend! a good no-disarm polearm or anything to help them) but again, I thought maybe they have the potential and it's me that can't utilize them. I guess using bat more and more will help some, but I'm not sure yet!
My main problem with pole specs and orcs were that they could easily disarm me and I couldn't get my weapon back so I was to run! I always kept many extra polearms for myself. but once I got disarmed 4 times in a row by an orc! it is what they should think about! maybe retaliatory skill upgrade?
104549, Sorry to see you go
Posted by Hapne on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
It was always nice to have another polearm wielder around, and champion seemed pretty badass. I always felt like you were willing to jump into a fight with me, no matter what the odds were against us.

Good luck with your next!
104655, I actually liked Anerus a lot
Posted by Vallinane on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
But you scared the crap out of me with how you died so fast all the time.

I think your choice of class and dedication worked against you here. If you had played any other paladin combo, you'd have gotten several kills just by spamming wrath.

But relative to the other paladin dedications, champion was ineffective for your style of play. Your solo PK power just can't match up to shield or two-hander dedications.

Paladin is a great newbie class, but champion just doesn't have the oomph that shield and two-hander and monk brings to the table. There were a lot of times where I thought "Anerus LOOKS like a complete noob here, but really a lot of it is class limitations - he just can't do all that much with champion."

I'm glad you picked the Fortress for your newbie characters, and I could see you improving. I hope you learned a lot with us, and I think you should pick a character combo thats a bit stronger next time!
104659, RE: I actually liked Anerus a lot
Posted by Yuzxra on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I don't know about kills through spamming wrath, because even for champions and monks it can be extremely difficult with trying to keep them around. But at the same time its possible. As I learned with Yuzxra.
104662, RE: I actually liked Anerus a lot
How is it possible with monks?
104661, RE: I actually liked Anerus a lot
Scaring the crap out of everyone in the fort was what Anerus did very well. ;)

I agree mostly with your idea on champions, but text mudding is just imagination, and I like champions (paladins with polearm not even staff) is what I like.
Solo PK is what I tried lots with Anerus, but it's very hard for me (He got about 2 solo PKs whole life if I remember right) but I learned very much doing so.

I am trying other cabals currently, and it should take me some time to get back to fort, but I hope to see Vall as a leader when I get back. heh! I'm sure you are scared now! you died many times because of my noobness and lack of skills to keep you alive, which in most cases were just very easily possible!

continue your great leadership and don't fall before you induct me in again!
104317, I liked you a lot I wish i had more time spent going around with you
Posted by Tesline on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You seemed like you were a lot of fun. Did you like the champion ded? It seemed annoying when i played Saykou. It sort of came off as orc bane but thats it. Your thoughts?
104340, RE: I liked you a lot I wish i had more time spent going around with you
Champion are my first choice of paladins as I like the idea of using polearms! But I had great problems PvP. very strong vs mobs! very very strong vs groups! I liked champions very much, but either they lack some capabilities/skills or I didn't know what I could do with Anerus!
104277, And nobody have posted anything yet??
Posted by Tzar on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I liked Anerus, and respected your bravery. I think you knew that you will die, but no matter of anything you did come! Very much like Angynn :)

I couldn not play like this. I am too conservative for such style :)

That thing with your lightning strike (or what was that)? Got me down to 50% hp and nearly permalagged. Huge group damage+avoidance+nearly permalag looked like "WTF????? He is lagging worse than cheapshot!!!" :)

I think if you would use that trick more often, you would have gotten me. I imagine two pallys with that trick and this would leave NO SINGLE CHANCE to almost anyone except maby RBW.

When I am done, I will surely post a little rant on gameplay forum about this.

Good luck with your next, and play empire someday!
104341, RE: And nobody have posted anything yet??
I always knew how Anerus will die to Tzar, but yes, I liked the idea to not sit back. in most situations I had a potion to quaf and run, but didn't do it, as I didn't like the idea! I didn't like to die that much, but don't know why I didn't like to run either! That forget spell is awesome! How to resist it best?

What was that about lightning strike? If I knew what I have done to you, I would have done it again! :D
Huge group damage + group avoidance are very fun! but which permalag you mean?? again, if I knew I can permalag!? my god! champions seem to know some skills.. can tell me which skills did what?

how close to be done? I am waiting for you in Azure (they call it this?) to see which skills you talking about!

I always liked to play an imperial, but it seems to be even harder than what I faced in fort!

By the way, it was too obvious how newbie Anerus is? after the first full loot your zombies did, you almost always left the corpse, so I guessed you have got this idea that leave this kid, he is not a pain anyway! :D

thanks for your post! (I expected more posts from others too, but not that important to me, I'm not done with CF and it just shows me that I've not done well enough with Anerus)
104343, Heh
Yes, you looked like a total noob :) But you tried, and that I surely can respect.

I think Anerus just got that bad day when I have been angered to hell by some "unfrair" things (such as fort mages ganging together with battle and after that leaving each other alone). So yeah. I have planned to drop your things somewhere close to you, but as I can remember, my zombies got destroyed on the way. So sorry about that. I think for you I have got that sweet title, but probably not.

To resist forget, you need to gather more save vs spells items. I would say, -40 or -50 svs + edge would be good enough, especially vs someone who have no forget edge.

P.S. You really should use potions/preps more.
104350, RE: Heh
So which skills you talked about? (lightning strikes or what?) can give me a two line log so I understand which it is?
104378, One of two things
Either he's talking about something that monks can do,and is talking about how they can electrify their fists then intensify, OR

He may be talking about you using the "bat" skill, since I think that talks about a "lightning quick strike". Bat is sometimes so quick you can squeeze two in between the same round, or do a bat prior to doing a fend (say).
104381, FOR IMMS: Post editing seems to have a problem
I edited my last post as I realised I'd probably guessed wrong first time around.

One of the things I edited was the title of my post.

If you open the post, you see the edited title. However, before you open the post, you see the unedited title.
104400, Later
I will post logs later. No idea how that skill is called, nor what type of paladin you were, actually (I did not play paladins since time of their revamp). Maybe I will post it on the bug board (though I think answer will be "by design").
104422, RE: Later
I hope to see when you post them. But the only thing I can think of is bat skill. if it's true, it should have been done even more than once in a round, sometimes!
104396, RE: And nobody have posted anything yet??
Posted by Yuzxra on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Do you have him confused with a monk? Or you talking about bat? Lightning strikes come from monks intensify.