Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subject(DELETED) [OUTLANDER] Sarriela Llayeatha the Fableborn, Chantress of Ancient Song
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=103705
103705, (DELETED) [OUTLANDER] Sarriela Llayeatha the Fableborn, Chantress of Ancient Song
Posted by Death_Angel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Sun Oct 23 17:05:26 2011

At 8 o'clock AM, Day of the Bull, 15th of the Month of the Sun
on the Theran calendar Sarriela perished, never to return.
Race:wood-elf
Class:bard
Level:51
Alignment:Neutral
Ethos:Chaotic
Cabal:OUTLANDER, the Outlanders of Thar-Eris
Hours:180
103729, I really liked this character. What happened?
Posted by Kelstrane on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Looked like you were finally coming into your stride when I deleted. Sad to see you fizzle out.

Also interacted with you as Caprivitiose :)
103754, In OUTLANDER no-one can hear you scream!
Posted by GrahamC on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Bit of a negative goodbye note, so apologies.

Admission. I've played Outlander for a bit once before but to be fair i joined Outlander without really understanding what it's about since the years of non-playing have clouded me.

Sarriela was an absolute struggle ranking up, I mob died like an absolute clown on so many things. To be fair without Kelstrane being a positive influence i'd probably have rage deleted long ago but instead i learned to shrug off the deaths and carry along.

Outlanders, I died still not understanding much more about other than we just act like a bunch of woodland bandits. I was amused when Zosi was made Harbinger purely because there was reference to a discussion with Imms and all i could think was - "What imms?". Outlanders is a rudderless ship, which is fine for some but drove me bananas. I even asked Zosi a 'what do you want me to do' but got left drifting in the wind.

Logged in night after night, solo. I couldn't do enough damage to successfully raid the Tribunals solo and the Tribunals would never raid us. Very boring.

Kelstrane, you were a legend. I only wish I wrote you a note about your demise.

Niicrolious, i wrote you a heroic note to mark your death but you never bloody well died! :)

My role-play fu is weak, so i went female to at the very least make me consider my actions.

Thank you very much for the custom title, I liked it alot so thanks for taking the time out to craft it. Made me feel like a fraud though :op
103759, Not bad, not great
Posted by Amaranthe on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Your statement about a rudderless ship is fair. I've been around lately, but I'm still no less busy. I just log on at times and snoop random Outlanders while I'm AFK and real-life pulled in ten directions, and make armchair assessments. I can't speak for Jas.

There was a recommendation for you for Harbinger, but my snooping of you revealed the weak roleplay fu as you mentioned. Nothing particularly *bad* per se, just nothing particularly inspiring, and so the decision was made to go with Zosi who seemed to have a lot more universal mortal and immhero support.

I liked your role and since you were kind of the honorable mention for Harbinger, I gave you the title based on your role (since, whether just poor luck or your doing, every time I snooped you I saw a whole lot of nothing.)

Role-based titles are something I sometimes give to established characters with written roles to encourage roleplay, not necessarily to reward it. My theory is they become a conversation piece and something to live up to, rather than a role you wrote at level six and never think about again. If it made you feel like a fraud, the point was for you to stop being a fraud. It was, after all, based on something *you* wrote about your character! :)
103760, If Jasthrean is even alive...
Posted by Torak on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
...he's got some answering to do for ignoring Mubs for damn near 2 months despite praying nearly every day :P
103803, Thank you.
heh, to be clear i didn't feel like a fraud because of the title not matching the role. It was more that I felt that I wouldn't meet the grand expectations that the title gave me, "delusions of adequacy" as it were.

I did role-play constantly, the subtle aspects of my rp was the influencing of the river on which i was 'born' playing through turns of phrase, or general attitude to life. I just don't role play very well in solo situations or against brick walls. Other Outlanders aren't too interested in interactions.

Do you have any suggestions to make to a willing listener on improvers? What would you have liked to have seen when snooping?
103812, RE: Thank you.
Posted by Amaranthe on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I certainly won't claim I was snooping frequently enough to have come to an absolute conclusion about the character. I never saw anything bad. I never saw anything that made me think you *weren't* roleplaying.

There were some mortals, like Ghuanrrak for example, who just happened to be on stage *every single time* I snooped him. When I snooped Sarriela, I generally saw you just going on about your business. The conversation I saw was just business talk, no real emoting, nothing distinct in your mannerisms or speech that made me feel you were game on, so to speak roleplaying-wise.

Again that may just be luck, and I do know it's hard to put the game face on at all times. The more you can keep it on, though, the better.

103826, RE: Thank you.
Ok. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll cogitate on it.
103833, had fun
Posted by Zosi on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I really enjoyed the character, running with you in general (you know your stuff) and really, really liked how we weren't on the greatest of terms at the start and managed to make up.

Two things about Outlanderdom: Between random woodland-style voices (a howl, a mist, something else I'm forgetting) I had pretty much the same experience. And the voices only came in when I (or someone else) was doing something wrong. Take that for what it's worth. As for leadership, I was doing my thing one day when I get transferred to Amaranthe's shrine, boom. There wasn't a quest or series of letters back and forth. I told you you were second in the running for Harbinger as an attaboy, not to amuse or confuse. :)

Second: What you want to do with the abilities and the cachet of being an Outlander is up to you, especially with the absence of active imm leadership. I have role-based reasons for being vague when that question is brought up, but in essence you have to make your own way and either be wildly successful, ignored, or get smacked-down then try something else. Wish I'd been more explicit now, but whenever. Fair criticism.

Timing is hard, as my sincere attempt to catch people on at odd times of day meant that all the Outlanders logged on at odd times of day. Lesson learned. As for some greater purpose, I was trying to work on something everyone could take part in (not involving killing people and dying in blind exploration) at the same time I was trying to make sure there weren't any empty spots in the cabal. Thought I had finally finished that second mission until just now :(

I'll miss you even more than when I could never find you. See you in the fields.