Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subject(DELETED) [FORTRESS] Zakuun Arcii the Hand of the Unseen
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=101486
101486, (DELETED) [FORTRESS] Zakuun Arcii the Hand of the Unseen
Posted by Death_Angel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Sat Aug 6 07:03:42 2011

At 1 o'clock PM, Day of Deception, 16th of the Month of the Sun
on the Theran calendar Zakuun perished, never to return.
Race:arial
Class:thief
Level:51
Alignment:Good
Ethos:Neutral
Cabal:FORTRESS, the Fortress of Light
Hours:207
101553, *rofl* Fortpire strikes again!
Posted by Straklaw on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Jun 30, 2011|Lv 51|The Halfling Lands|vs 3: Zaanzorbarus (86%, mental assault), Morin (13%), Armagon (0%)
101500, Hmmm I guess I'd be interested...
Posted by Morin on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
To see your Rant. To be honest I liked Zakuun a lot. I understand exactly why you have problems with Morin. Two specific times that I can think of, and the pact. I could go into a whole crapton of RP reasons why I did what I did, as well as newbish screwing up, but meh.

That said, I really liked Zakuun. Running with you early on helped to give me a lot of confidence. And for that I thank you. Believe it or not, I spoke highly of you to a lot of people and had plans for your future.

Sorry that I seem to have rubbed you the wrong way.

GLWYN
101499, Nice character depth.
Posted by Murphy on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I like arcane thieves, if only for the very idea. Still remember what a pain it was to gather preps when I played one. Think you had it easier due to your competence, but you were still high on my list of people I was eager to help out :)

Anyway, good presence. There was no boredom around you, ever. Too many people on both sides of the war are taciturn and not very fun, you were a cool exception.

Wish I had finally scrambled the points to take Zo Buki edge and be a thorn in your side after going evil :) Sad to hear you didn't have your expectations met, but good luck with your next.
101498, Goodbyes
Posted by Torak on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
After initially wanting to rant a bit, I'm going to try hard not to for once. There could be some small resident flames here or there but I'm trying to be good :)

All stuff related to playing a binder/arcane, I'll put in the gameplay board.

Zakuun was initially pretty heavily RP-centric and I thought he had a pretty decent role. I actually started out thinking this would be one of my first characters ever to age die - but it all kind of died when I finally caught up with Twist. After thinking about our meeting after the fact, it was a pretty piss-poor showing on my end. I had left the path/purpose all kind of vague and was hoping Twist would run with it somewhat but when he heavily pushed back I was kinda stumped - I was hoping to make Arkham another major thief city and true magic school and had cool ideas for further training - maybe even hoping for a new adept spot (had to do with Zakuun's role of being magically adept) but Twist man, ya crushed my dreams :( I went fishing and a shark bit my head off. It was asking a ton since I wasn't neutral, wasn't a mage, and moreso was a thief when you hate deceltopn but...ya anyways, when he came back with a polite "get lost" I kinda lost all RP for Zakuun. I had this wild idea of bugging Adekar about the written holy words of angels but it just seemed like more work and the character was already becoming a chore in his non-RP aspects (super prep heavy). That was kind of the pinnacle point and it all went downhill from there.

Morin...*snipping a huge paragraph rant*. I disagreed a lot with your policies and how you ran things, but when you're the leader I guess you can bend things to the way you want them and when you want them.

Balakai....*snipping a smaller rant*. How we last interacted was a huge "wtf" moment that was the last nail in the coffin for Zakuun. The amulet fiasco...the ordering me around....after I spent time to hero you? Seriously?

Mirrou...*sigh* I feel for ya, I do.

Serenity now... serenity now... :)

Everyone else was a blast and the main reason I stuck it out. Playing an arcane binder is terribly boring, hugely prep heavy, and so hit or miss it's mind-numbing but hanging out with Maravon, Angynn, Fiam, Taffer, Athaldos, Evyza, Mirrou, Zenze, etc made it enjoyable. All the fights with Empire, Scion, Villagers, Nexuns, and even orc chieftains were somewhat fun - a lot of times I felt "dirty" for how I would win fights. I'd either fail the garrotte and basically be a sitting duck or land the knockout and either call for help when a binding broke or make your lives miserable like a goodie necromancer (crimson scourge, plague, poison, blind, curse, weaken, etc while fully trussed and dragged to no-magic or no-exit rooms? Ya, it's evil no matter how you put it). I left almost everything every fight and rarely stole anything (sorry Sivyh, lowbies and I stepped out from that last fight :()I was extremely lucky in a LOT of fights also. I think in the later half of his life I died twice to pks - I'd love to see the pbf...

Hopefully I added some spice to the lives of people - I can probably say this will be my last goodie or at least for a very long time. Why? There's not enough people to kill and half the people I wanted to kill were next to me ;) Evil for life I guess.

Best of luck. This is about as close to flame free as you'll ever see :)

-Torak

p.s. ya ya, I'll get on the Dashboard app soon. I need more IDs damnt!
101501, Thanks for a lot of the help and interaction!
Posted by Kelstrane on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I liked Zakuun a lot. He was obviously really experienced, and knew a lot more about the game than I did. I liked you even more after you threatened to hate me unless I returned that sword Morin left in his corpse (it's okay, I already had another one!).

Ironically, I tried really hard to return it, but nobody in the fort actually cared enough to get it from me - I ended up giving it to someone in the fort a few hours later cause all of you guys were too busy :(

Thanks for messing around with the goodie side for awhile, though sad that your experience was not all it could have been.
101502, RE: Goodbyes
Posted by Rayihn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I give you props for playing a goodie and putting in the effort you did. I wanted to Maran you earlier (in fact I'm pleasantly surprised to not see you complaining that it took as long as it did) but I kind of like to do it at a high point - a pk, a nice retreival, saying something awesomely maran-like on cb, but I unfortunately just always seemed to be around for the kinda blah moments of this character instead of the awesome ones. There were just a lot of times where it seemed like what you were doing would be perfectly fine RP for an evil or neutral character and that you just didn't think "Would a goodie actually say this" before it came out on CB. For example, one day Tavlin has the orb. He's the only Scion on and there are I think 3-4 Forties on in his range. I was thinking, oh this is going to be a perfect time to Maran Zakuun - they'll all get together and make a heroic (but probably tragic) attempt at the Orb. Instead, on CB you said something like "I don't have anything for Tavlin so this one's all you guys." Now, this is fine RP if you're a Scion, but sometimes in Fort you have to heroically take it in the pants. It's unfortunate but it's just not goodie-like to send everyone else in to die when you could make even a slight difference. At least make an effort. That's all I ask.

That off my chest - good luck with your next. Next time you roll good just consider a little more what it means.
101505, Thieves just don't work that way
The ineffectiveness of fighting a mummy as a binder is....well, I can't even think of a worse match-up. I guess I just don't have it in me to play a goodie in that type of situation because dying for the cause smells a whole lot like being a paladin and a martyr and not an intelligent Maran. I could even see villagers dying for the cause, like Nukahv's log dying to him at the Destructor....but not a thief.

The last few times I had fought Tavlin, I'd run up and maybe get in a backstab and then instantly flee as his army of unicorns (hilarious I gotta say) would instantly kill me. I hadn't even practiced kick at that point so I had no single command to do against him. I couldn't trip or kick, couldn't knockout or any binder skill, couldn't do scrolls while tanking or any arcane skill - literally not a single command. I would always eat a PWK or two since he was just hoping to instantly kill me - that's just dice rolling for his pleasure.

I did better in the hit and runs and did retrieve against him a lot. Actually one of my only deaths at hero was to him and that damnable tiger (which is a whole new level of evil combo) - which actually I think was the instance you were talking about. My comment was alluding more to I'd be avoiding Tavlin while trying to get the orb but guess it came across wrong.

I guess I just won't die for the sake of dying - and probably because of all the work it took to prep Zakuun. Good advice though, I will consider more in-game choices from a character perspective.
101512, So don't rely on your binder skills?
Posted by Drag0nSt0rm on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You hide, warrior initiates.
Recite earthbind mummy
warrior trips
you trip
A plan has been formed!

(Yah Tavlin still probably would have killed you. BUT you could have DONE something.)
101514, Wait, so what's the point if he was going to die anyway?
Posted by BaronMySoul on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Fortress isn't Battle and shouldn't be played berserker-style.
101520, Yeah because...
...earthbind scrolls work on level 51 mummies (most earthbind scrolls are lower level that I know of). I tried it a few times, it's how I died to the mummy and tiger. It gets real old after the first one.
101522, RE: Yeah because...
Posted by Isildur on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I know if I were going up against Tavlin with a group of marans I'd value having someone there to recite LoH and spam trip (possibly with cheapshot, if you had it).
101530, It was pre-Maran
And also a retrieval, no Orb.
101513, No offense, Nep's wife, but...
>>Now, this is fine RP if you're a Scion, but sometimes in Fort you have to heroically take it in the pants.<<

Seriously?? This is already one of the BIGGEST problems with Fortress. It's a cabal full of noobs, or at least the pk-inexperienced, and charging in blindly for retrieval ends up getting everyone killed. Moreover, the competent enemies know which Fortress members are competent and go for them first. I would MUCH rather see some people hit and run instead of going in as a group. For some reason, big groups give noobs false bravado, so when they SHOULD get out, they don't. Maybe Zakuun should have RP'd his anti-retrieval versus a mummy stance better. I don't know because I wasn't there. However, chastising him for not sacking up to die an ignominious death means you either don't understand the limitations of his class against the undead, or you grossly overestimate the ability of Fortress to work as a team. And yes, I realize the point of your post was to say you wanted to see more from Zakuun, but would you really have rewarded incompetent death under the guise of heroics? If that's all it takes to be a Maran, I would have made it many times over.

Here's an example log where Zakuun fought against the Imperial mummy & crew. Everyone Fortress died except for me (Evyza, who made a VERY poor showing) and Zakuun, who had the sense to get out, though he ended up staying too long in my opinion.
http://www.qhcf.net/phorum/read.php?3,887851,887851#msg-887851

101516, It's #### like this, BMS (n/t)
Posted by Daevryn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
101517, RE: It's #### like this, BMS (n/t)
Posted by Isildur on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Acronym does not compute.
101518, RE: It's #### like this, BMS (n/t)
Capitalized letters of his username.
101524, Mmkay
Care to elaborate? I made a special e-mail account just for you. Maybe we can settle our differences.

baronmysoul@yahoo.com

Btw, I think I've more than fair in not calling you or your wife out on the BS you all pull behind the scenes. Yet, make a negative comment on the way your wife worded something and you respond like the way you just did.
101525, Sure:
The full sentence would be something like, "It's #### like this where I'm not sure you realize you're coming off as a huge asshole and/or trying to pick a fight, but you are."

Maybe you were trying to? Hell, I don't know and I'm not going to lose sleep over it.
101526, RE: Sure:
>The full sentence would be something like, "It's #### like
>this where I'm not sure you realize you're coming off as a
>huge asshole and/or trying to pick a fight, but you are."
>
>Maybe you were trying to? Hell, I don't know and I'm not
>going to lose sleep over it.

Fair enough. I'll try to be slightly more respectful.

First, I'll be honest. I really, really, really do not like Baerinika/Rayihn. I feel that she's bad for the game, she frustrates a lot of people, she treats the "lesser imms" and heroimms like ####, and seems generally mad with power. Whether or not that's her personality in real life, I don't know, and I don't care. The reason she wields as much power as she does is because she's married to you. This is just a statement of my perceptions. Since you just called me an asshole, I think I'm at least a little justified in stating my feelings about her, without calling any names. We even?

Second, back to my original point in critiquing your wife's post. For this thread, my problem wasn't with her, but with the tone, attitude, and language she used in her message. Here is everything that was positive and/or constructive from her:

>>I give you props for playing a goodie and putting in the effort you did... That off my chest - good luck with your next. <<

Then we'll break down the blatantly negative stuff she said:

>>I wanted to Maran you earlier (in fact I'm pleasantly surprised to not see you complaining that it took as long as it did)<< Back-handed, passive-aggressive comment >>but I kind of like to do it at a high point - a pk, a nice retreival, saying something awesomely maran-like on cb, but I unfortunately just always seemed to be around for the kinda blah moments of this character instead of the awesome ones.<< Read as, "From what I saw, your character never did anything noteworthy, ever, specifically while I was watching. >>There were just a lot of times where it seemed like what you were doing would be perfectly fine RP for an evil or neutral character and that you just didn't think "Would a goodie actually say this" before it came out on CB.<< Read as, "Your style of RP is crap compared to mine." >>For example, one day Tavlin has the orb. He's the only Scion on and there are I think 3-4 Forties on in his range. I was thinking, oh this is going to be a perfect time to Maran Zakuun - they'll all get together and make a heroic (but probably tragic)<< Read as, "Because you didn't waste a death and do something stupid, you don't get Maran. Sorry." >>attempt at the Orb. Instead, on CB you said something like "I don't have anything for Tavlin so this one's all you guys." Now, this is fine RP if you're a Scion, but sometimes in Fort you have to heroically take it in the pants.<< Have *you* ever told a player to go kill themselves if they wanted to be rewarded? >>It's unfortunate but it's just not goodie-like to send everyone else in to die when you could make even a slight difference. At least make an effort. That's all I ask.<< She's asking a lot and she knows it.
>>Next time you roll good just consider a little more what it means.<< More passive-aggressive comments. Basically, "Don't play or RP in that style, Torak, if you expect to get any kind of reward from me, Baerinika, who knows exactly what it means to be a Fortress member."

So, yeah, maybe I am an "asshole", as you put it, for calling out the cattiness your wife displayed in her post. But, umm... yeah, women don't fight like men do and what she posted was the kind of nasty that makes girls pull out their weaves and start scratching eyes out. I avoid association with those kinds of women IRL because they're generally full of drama and backstabberyness, but I genuinely feel bad for how certain players get treated over and over again. I got to see some of Zakuun's RP and I really liked the character. As staff, offering constructive criticism (constructive, not passive-aggressive BS) should be what you aim for, not tearing down yet another character who's been here over a decade. Unless, however, your aim is to drive him away.
101527, Much of your "analysis" is a very long/unfair reach~
Posted by blackbird on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Just sayin'.
101528, RE: Sure:
>First, I'll be honest. I really, really, really do not like
>Baerinika/Rayihn. I feel that she's bad for the game, she
>frustrates a lot of people, she treats the "lesser imms" and
>heroimms like ####, and seems generally mad with power.
>Whether or not that's her personality in real life, I don't
>know, and I don't care. The reason she wields as much power as
>she does is because she's married to you.

Question: Who do you think has done more work, as an imm, for the game in the last couple years? Imm stuff / area stuff / empowerments / cabals / heroimm mentoring / whatever etc. Add it all up.

Pick anyone but Zulghinlour, including me, and I'm going to tell you that you're wrong. I won't say that there aren't some cases for 'contributes as much' but I don't think there are any fair ones for 'more'. We have a number of people who do a lot in one area, which is great and we need and appreciate it, but it doesn't get the unsexy but necessary jobs done either.

In which case maybe she's your Cador and you somehow rationalize the cognitive dissonance of loving the fruits of her labor while hating her.

>This is just a
>statement of my perceptions. Since you just called me an
>asshole, I think I'm at least a little justified in stating my
>feelings about her, without calling any names. We even?

My answer to that would be: You're not an imm. I'm not sure why you think you know what goes on. Maybe you have a secondhand story from someone that you take as Gospel truth? Hell if I know.

>>>I wanted to Maran you earlier (in fact I'm pleasantly
>surprised to not see you complaining that it took as long as
>it did)<< Back-handed, passive-aggressive comment >>but

Except you do know that historically a lot of people who get maran'd late do complain about it, right?

####, I've complained about it.

So it's not like we're discussing something hypothetical here.

>I kind of like to do it at a high point - a pk, a nice
>retreival, saying something awesomely maran-like on cb, but I
>unfortunately just always seemed to be around for the kinda
>blah moments of this character instead of the awesome ones.<<
>Read as, "From what I saw, your character never did
>anything noteworthy, ever, specifically while I was
>watching.

Which was probably true.

Since the days of Shokai Fort imms have looked for excuses to Maran people, and sometimes it takes a long time before "Did something cool" and "while I was paying attention" lines up.

>>There were just a lot of times where it seemed
>like what you were doing would be perfectly fine RP for an
>evil or neutral character and that you just didn't think
>"Would a goodie actually say this" before it came out on CB.<<
>Read as, "Your style of RP is crap compared to mine."

I'd have said, "I was wondering, is this person evil in real life? That's really cold." because that's what I was wondering at the time. I think it's pretty diplomatically put above.

The trend here seems to be that you're saying: "Don't say anything negative. If it keeps taking me a long time to get Maran'd/promoted/empowered/whatever, don't try to point me in the right direction, just let me wonder and get frustrated."

>>>For example, one day Tavlin has the orb. He's the only Scion
>on and there are I think 3-4 Forties on in his range. I was
>thinking, oh this is going to be a perfect time to Maran
>Zakuun - they'll all get together and make a heroic (but
>probably tragic)<< Read as, "Because you didn't waste a
>death and do something stupid, you don't get Maran.
>Sorry."
>>attempt at the Orb. Instead, on CB you said
>something like "I don't have anything for Tavlin so this one's
>all you guys." Now, this is fine RP if you're a Scion, but
>sometimes in Fort you have to heroically take it in the
>pants.<< Have *you* ever told a player to go kill
>themselves if they wanted to be rewarded?

I've told them they needed to do things that would certainly get them repeatedly killed. Cyradia can tell you con-burn horror stories about the kinds of quests I've given out...

>>It's
>unfortunate but it's just not goodie-like to send everyone
>else in to die when you could make even a slight difference.
>At least make an effort. That's all I ask.<< She's asking a
>lot and she knows it.

It's not a lot to most of the people who play Fort.

Not everyone's cut out for every cabal. I'm kind of ass with Empire and Battle. I'd still rather someone tell me what I'm doing "wrong" with respect to the cabal even if I can't help myself.

>>>Next time you roll good just consider a little more what it
>means.<< More passive-aggressive comments. Basically,
>"Don't play or RP in that style, Torak, if you expect to get
>any kind of reward from me, Baerinika, who knows exactly what
>it means to be a Fortress member."

Point of fact, she runs the cabal. If you don't live up to her standards you're going to have problems.

>So, yeah, maybe I am an "asshole", as you put it, for calling
>out the cattiness your wife displayed in her post.

I don't think anyone else read it that way.

Torak disagreed but he didn't seem offended by it. Torak, correct me if I'm putting words into your mouth.

> But, umm...
>yeah, women don't fight like men do and what she posted was
>the kind of nasty that makes girls pull out their weaves and
>start scratching eyes out. I avoid association with those
>kinds of women IRL because they're generally full of drama and
>backstabberyness, but I genuinely feel bad for how certain
>players get treated over and over again. I got to see some of
>Zakuun's RP and I really liked the character. As staff,
>offering constructive criticism (constructive, not
>passive-aggressive BS) should be what you aim for, not tearing
>down yet another character who's been here over a decade.
>Unless, however, your aim is to drive him away.

Do you have problems with women in general?

I'm not taking a shot at you. That's a serious question.

Next serious question: Pretend for a minute that saying nothing isn't an option, and that you actually think Fort shouldn't tell other Fort "Uh, good luck getting in there and dying, I'ma stay safe while you do." (Actually I'm not sure if there's a cabal where that wouldn't make you look bad. Tribunal, maybe? Outlander, maybe? In Empire or Scion or Battle the problem isn't that it makes you look evil, the problem is that it makes you look weak.) is a bad thing. How would you communicate that so the player could get it "right" the next time if they chose?
101532, RE: Sure:
I disagree with you on most everything you just said. I'll end it at that.

As far as having a problem with women, nope. Transgendered. Transitioning. What I said regarding women comes from personal experience. Despite how many people perceive me on the forums here (I very admittedly have a problem with authority and abuse of authority), I am very much a different person IRL. I very specifically have a problem with Baer (I guess she brings out my inner bitch). Maybe you just don't see how she treats other people. I don't know. End of the day, I'm not losing sleep over it either. I'm irked by what she said and I pointed out what I had a problem with. Tomorrow, I'll be over it, and I'll be just a happy little player until the next time I decide to take up a torch unasked. Whatever. But I'll continue to express discontent when I see something I don't like. I suppose you could try to ban me/deny me, but I haven't really broken any rules, so it would just piss me off further.
101551, RE: Sure:
> Transgendered.
>Transitioning.

Good luck with that, seriously. It's a tough row to hoe at the best of times.

I don't think you actually see how she treats people either, FWIW.
101544, Heh. The player of Istendil says he's "ass" at Empire.
Posted by TMNS on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You crack me up some times man :)

I totally agree with that part of the statement though. I'm ####ing horrible at Fort or mainly any sort of good-aligned character. Mainly because I agree with RayBaer that sometimes being a goodie means you have to die horribly for your beliefs.

(Sidenote: I'm sure people could argue I'm horrible at a lot of things. I will not respond to that at this time :))

I think your wife gets a bad rap. She isn't the best, but she sure as #### isn't even close to the worst.

PS You had to know the moment it became public you guys were together/married this type of discussion would permeate. I can understand why it would get frustrating to constantly deal with #### and misinfo, but it's the nature of the beast.

101546, RE: Heh. The player of Istendil says he's
>You crack me up some times man :)
>

It was a fluke! Or maybe I had one quirky decent Empire character in me. I've yet to manage a second I've liked.

>PS You had to know the moment it became public you guys were
>together/married this type of discussion would permeate. I
>can understand why it would get frustrating to constantly deal
>with #### and misinfo, but it's the nature of the beast.

Yup. I warned her that some people would be ####ty about it, but we don't always listen to me.

IRL, Raybaer is the kind of person who has a strong personality. She's about as subtle as a ball pien hammer. People tend to either like her right away or not, and I get that. It wouldn't surprise me that much if someone said, "I played a Baer paladin and I hated it."

But... pitching a big public fit about what's happened to you personally is one thing, and this isn't that.
101547, Welcome to the "It'll never die" Club, I'm the President
Heh.

And man, I really played nice in my goodbye and *still* my goodbye thread becomes a firestorm. What the hell!
101548, RE: Welcome to the
It's not your fault this time! I'm on record as saying that.
101549, Contributing a lot does not give you any right to be an asshole
Posted by Murphy on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Unless your name is Gregory House.

You need to understand a person can be a really good area builder but poor administrator, or vice versa. That question is not unique to CF and is the bane of many imms in many MUDs. Hell, when I ran my MUD I was guilty of that too, it took years before I understood that players ultimately mean more to the game than all my hard work.
101550, RE: Contributing a lot does not give you any right to be an asshole
It does earn the right to be considered an entity apart from me, though.
101554, yes and no
Posted by laxman on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Yes she has done fine as an imm with watching out for a number of different cabals.

But if you want to make the claim that she would even be an imm if she wasn't bearing your children you should really share the drugs you are smoking.

You cannot make any valid argument about how she is more capable then any of the half dozen hero imms who have burned out the last year/year and a half (a couple of them would have been significantly better from an interaction perspective)

That said as a player I am fully willing to accept that to keep you (nep) as an imm means making considerations for your significant other. I am totally ok with that. But lets not kid ourselves about the whole her getting by on the own merits of her skill.

I could be wrong but she immed for the first time with less then a dozen hero chars on cf? You (and/or her) will be always up for pot shots because of the influece of your personal relationship with her being an advantage to her immdom (and as a vet who has been around I can say that its not only mortals who have that perception of the situation) you are going to be vulnerable to criticism. I think she is in no way defecient and does a good job with the opportunity given her. I just feel that there have been plenty of people who could have done as well or better that were unable to succesfully navigate the immortal promotion system.
101555, RE: yes and no
Posted by Twist on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>You cannot make any valid argument about how she is more
>capable then any of the half dozen hero imms who have burned
>out the last year/year and a half (a couple of them would have
>been significantly better from an interaction perspective)

Sure I can.
1. She did as heroimms are supposed to do, building areas and all that. She did it in a timely fashion. And keep in mind, this was with Valg as her taskmaster. Nothing against Valg, but his reputation as a taskmaster on heroimms is quite a bit more harsh than RayBaer's/mine/Daevryn's/Zulg's.

>That said as a player I am fully willing to accept that to
>keep you (nep) as an imm means making considerations for your
>significant other. I am totally ok with that. But lets not
>kid ourselves about the whole her getting by on the own merits
>of her skill.

Let's not kid ourselves about you having a clue what you're talking about. Daevryn never gets a vote/say/whatever about anything involving RayBaer. I've had "the talk" with her about items that we've disagreed with in the past, just like I have other imms.

>I could be wrong but she immed for the first time with less
>then a dozen hero chars on cf?

Pretty sure you're not wrong. Pretty sure there are existing heroimms who haven't had a dozen (or even close) hero chars on CF either.

>I just feel that there have been plenty of people
>who could have done as well or better that were unable to
>succesfully navigate the immortal promotion system.

This may be true, but that doesn't have anything to do with RayBaer. Those folks couldn't hack it, so they didn't move up. She could, so she did. FWIW, if I were to heroimm in today's game, I wouldn't be able to hack it either, so that's no slam to anyone who just couldn't make it happen.

I'm going to go ahead and lock this thread now, btw, because Straklaw's post on the Gameplay forum is dead on. Torak, I'm sorry your death thread got mired in this. And BTW my thoughts on Zakuun were that he did about as well as could be expected (better than I could have) with binder/arcane thief. You were pretty super-ganky to get Maran, but hell, binder/arcane thief, man! And your comments on this thread have been nothing but classy, so props there too.
101529, RE: Sure:
Posted by Reksah on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Wow. Posts like this remind me that I don't get paid nearly enough for the stuff I do for CF. And I don't do one tenth of what Baerinika does for the mud.
101531, Dang, pony up!
Posted by Gaspar on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Quit lagging behind and start pulling your weight! GEEZE! jk :P

Me + U = BFF?
I haz half of necklace for you to wear.
101545, You get paid? #### dude, better run. Zulg may disembowel you :) NT
Heh.
101534, RE: Sure:
Posted by Anliltuel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM

Are you speaking from personal experience? I am. What you are saying is a blatant falsehood. Are you making this up?
101536, RE: Sure:
Posted by Nreykre on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>Whether or not that's her personality in real life, I don't
>know, and I don't care. The reason she wields as much power as
>she does is because she's married to you. This is just a
>statement of my perceptions. Since you just called me an
>asshole, I think I'm at least a little justified in stating my
>feelings about her, without calling any names. We even?

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. It's my hope that others identify the utter lack of credibility and merit you bring to bear when you sling insults like this and discard your opinion as worthless, which it is.

It's been my first hand experience that your assessment of Rayihn and her value as an administrator is ####.
101539, Wow.
Posted by Bajula on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Talk about looking for something you want to see.
You had decided long before that she was like 'X'
so anything she posts you already skew into your
own worldview, you should totally write news stories!!
I would be highly entertained, well if I watched the
news, if you get a job like that lemme know I'll totally
start watching just for the laughs.

I'm kinda thinking you need a hug, but I get it now
it's how you saw the post. I didn't see anything even
remotely like that, and it seems most other people
didn't either. So this is a long standing issue.
I sw it more as hey you were rockin' along and we
meant to maran you long before you got it, we just
missed the 'kick-ass' moments. There was that one time
I thought you were gonna do something spectacular and
you passed on it, so I waited a little more.
Raybear seems to be pretty straight forward if she thinks
you're an ass she pretty much tells you, nothing passive/
aggressive about it. Nothing backhanded that I've seen
if she says go you! it's pretty much go you! not you should
go. Try looking at it again? and then compare to a few other
fairly recent posts? Just my nickel there. (inflation, you know
how it is.)
101535, In case you missed it
Posted by Valkenar on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
The really obnoxious part is you referring to her as "nep's wife" instead of by anything that can be considered her name. That's just obnoxious in a very petty way, dude.
101537, Agreed.
What should I call her? I kinda decided on Baerinika, but she also goes by Rayihn. Nep is still Nep no matter how many times he posts as Daevryn.

Personally, I prefer people's real names, but I realize that this is a fantasy game and everyone wants to be Neo.
101543, I'm just saying:
Let's pretend for a moment I know you better than I actually do, and I also know (making this up) that your mom's name is Joan because we were friends when you were younger or something.

If I said to you, "Look here, Joan's son, you're out of line." That's... bitchy. First, because it's impersonal; second, because it implies the only thing of value or interest about you is who you were born to. It's red letter story tell your friends about it bitchy. It's a hundred times as passive-aggressive catty as anything you called attention to even if you had been right.

Physician, heal thyself.
101519, And...
They also full looted most of the people who died - which doesn't exactly give me reason to stick it out to hope some random Immortal snooping me will notice that I "took it for the team" instead of "stuck around like a dumbass to die".

101523, RE: And...
There's a lot of gray area between "suicide charge" and "Hey, guys, that looks really dangerous, so go ahead and do it without me and let me know how it turns out."

(Which, maybe, isn't even what you meant but is how it came off.)
101521, Hrm...
Posted by Bajula on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I assume you are trying to 'win' then.
It's a fanstasy game, some play it like
dark fantasy some like high fantasy.

If no one girds thier loins and heads off
on an adventure facing impossible odds then
it just sucks. If everyone made thier choices
off of ooc odds and game mechanics then the
moment odds were not in your favor everyone
on your side logs off, then it's not only no
fun for you, but no fun for the people playing
in enemy cabals either. Unless you have some
REAL issues where you'd be happy to be the only
guy logged in chortling to yourself about how
you've driven everyone away and you rule the world.
I don't think that's you. Zakuun obviously took some
risks and did some cool ####, it was just not when
the jaguar was watching. It was a timing thing.

That one guy who sticks it out when the odds are
heavy against a cabal can actually cause the swing
to head the other way. You don't have to be a bad
ass, just play your character. If you die, really
what have you lost? Even if you con die doing it
what have you lost? Some time? If you gave up extra
hours at work to strengthen a character in a text
game and cost yourself a promotion, umm seek help.
:) Personally I think CF needs more balls to the wall
all go no quit characters. Whether you are beating
them down, or getting your ass kicked by them it
makes the whole thing a ####-ton more fun.

Forties SHOULD BE high fantasy. A small band of heroic
people infiltrate the imperial lands dodging armies
ninjas and spies everywhere in a nearly hopeless attempt
to regain the fabled orb of light and return it to
it's rightful place and thus hold back the darkness
from overtaking Thera forever more, or some #### like
that. Unlike the stories though sometimes you fail, but
also unlike the stories you have more than one life.
Hell you have a load of lives.
101538, Not to jump on any "Defend Raybaer" bandwagon...
Posted by Twist on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
...because she really doesn't need me to do so, I just thought I'd point out two things:

1. She didn't *do* anything negative to Torak/Zakuun based on this particular example. Hell, Zakuun got Maran a relatively short time later, anyways, She pointed out that she'd been looking for a good time to Maran, and him saying "Uhm, no." just wasn't really giving her that option at the time. She didn't bar him from future Maran, slap a title, or even admonish him over CB.

2. Torak/Zakuun seems to be taking this criticism as at least relatively constructive, whereas you seem to be construing it as an attack ad on the scale of "Sarah Palin is stupid - I'm the entire Democratic (and most of the Republican) party and I approve this message."

So yeah, I think she was saying "That was a time that if you'd have been ballsy, you'd have received Maran. Instead, you got it later."

I've had plenty of times that I've been watching a mortal and been like "If he does X" or "If she pulls off Y" then "I'm totally giving him the BallsToTheWall Edge" or "I'll give her a spiffy title and some immxp".

...And then he or she decides not to do what it is I was hoping for, for whatever reason, and I stop snooping them and go do something else. I equate this to something similar to that.
101503, So much I can't say.
Posted by Balakai on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
The Good:

I love when someone plays a Fort character that isn't paladin/healer/warrior. I liked that you picked something out of the box and seemed to do well with it. You were definitely worth 3 warriors or 2 paladins to have around, so good job on that.

The Bad:

Edited to remove criticism. Suffice it to say - I'll talk to you on AIM. No need to trash you publicly.
101506, The one fortie I really feared
Posted by Lohoq on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You made stalking or fighting a living hell. After that one fight in the Mausoleum when that blade saved my hide I knew you were going to be a pain. A few times your prayer beads/heartseeker almost 3 rounded me. After that it was martial + holy + stone skin if I could to fight you. That time I had you running around the Imperial Lands until blindness wore off was ridiculous, I kept thinking of how they need to give assassins the initial ability to lag without trip just because of this instance.

Anyway, I think you were a multiplier for the Fortress and made them deadly. GLWYN
101494, Were you happy with the build?
Noticed this was your second "arcane" thief.

Did you enjoy it more the second time around? Did you feel you used your points in the best way possible? Etc...etc...etc.

Good job again.
101490, I geniuinely liked zak.
Posted by Angynn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You can see why I wasn't there the last time we were both running
aroung right? Sorry about that, and I hope you understand.
101487, RE: (DELETED) [FORTRESS] Zakuun Arcii the Hand of the Unseen
Posted by Sivyh on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I couldn't freaking believe that last death. Mainly because I cb'd for help immediately after you garrotted me, but apparently my desperate cry for help was misinterpreted as a scouting report by the entire cabal.
101504, That death...
Posted by Balakai on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Made me feel dirty.

But then again you guys were kicking all kinds of crazy butt that night, so maybe I don't feel too bad.