Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subjectMore on the HONOR bit:
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=29651&mesg_id=29795
29795, More on the HONOR bit:
Posted by Vahletharien on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Since I didn't realizing there was so much discourse on it...

First let me pass a piece of advise to young players across the globe -

Include an explanation for every last detail of any, even remotely questionable, action you may or may not take, in your role.
I learned that with my last two characters, and i'm being quite serious, not sarcastic.

Anyway, perfectly equal combat is never something that I have seen specifically outlined in either the helpfile for the honor sphere or Vynmylak's religion. I'm not going to pretend like I do not know what the traditional CF version of honor is, because I do, but I do not believe it is going to continue to be uncompromisingly prevelant unless another strict honor god steps forward.

Helpfiles:

Honor, The Sphere of Honor is one of the Greater Virtues. **Moral
integrity is the most important goal of any who follow this
sphere.** Integrity, respect, esteem, and distinction are all
products of this sphere.

-These are all things that Vahletharien (arguably) operated under. He sought perfect righteousness above all else. Vahletharien, as I have said before, seldom fought against poor odds if not in a situation where the orb was comprimised. He believed the orb was a holy thing, and he talked and prayed about it often enough to disclude it from his role, I thought. He saw it as his duty to see that it was protected and kept safe under any circumstances.
"Lead by those dedicated to the preservation, protection, and spreading of the Light, these noble servants of the Light are honored in their calling."

Vynmylak's helpfile is broken into seperate parts for each spehere and then combines them at the end.

The honor portion:

Honor - Integrity. Character. Principle. The men and women who embrace this higher calling hold themselves far and above the common populace. It is not enough to be righteous in deed or thought alone, it must permeate all aspects of one's life to fully live the ideal of honor. Deception, treachery and deceit are not only foreign to these individuals' way of life, but something not to be tolerated or allowed to exist. For when such behaviors are tolerated or condoned, it tears at the very fabric of which they are made, lessening the standard by which all can live.

The closing portion about honor:

Aware of the tactics of war, the faithful will not dishonor themselves with deceit or treachery, although fully aware that those tactics may be used against them.

And combat:

They stand uncompromisingly at the front of the battle lines, holding themselves and others to higher levels of behavior and conduct. Like the symbol of their faith, their stance for conviction is like the heralding trumpets of righteous war, their arrival at the battlefield an inspiration for allies and dread for foes.

Anyway, i'm really not out to argue about honor and how it ties into Vynmylak's religion, I think the helpfiles make it clear along with the response that he has given on his forum.

My only question/confusion/suggestion, is that the idea of honor and it's sphere be elucidated further in the helpfile if it is intended to be a rigid form of parity in combat. If not...nobody likes to be criticized.