Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subjectI get the impression from reading this
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=25939&mesg_id=25994
25994, I get the impression from reading this
Posted by Baendraa on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
That you liked "nice" tribs, and that this to some extent colors your judgement of how "good" a tribunal they are.

You became Provost sometime before I became a Provincial. At the time, I was pretty nice to you because you were talking about promoting me. However, when you didn't seem to do much more than talk about it, I cooled to Daemar. When I was made Provincial, you didn't (as far as Baendra knows) have anything to do with it.

At this stage, Baendra withdrew her support from you and was somewhat more combative, as you may have noticed when you asked for scrolls letting you know we were around twice in quick succession. I didn't like having to fill out paperwork I viewed as pointless (because I'd just filled out a scroll telling you where I worked about three days earlier), and I remember saying this in the scroll. Equally, I remember asking, in writing, for clarification on a point of law and getting no reply, even though I knew you were around and had seen other notes you'd written since. This, in Baendra's view, was not acceptable in a Provost.

Overall, I didn't change my handling of the job when I became a Provincial. I just changed how I related to Daemar. If you wanted her to treat you well, you needed to have something to offer or command her respect otherwise. In the end, Baendra didn't see either from you and thus wasn't all that polite (except when trying to get information out of you such as whether you planned to reclaim your position as Provost).

In general though, I definitely get the impression you instinctively think that "nice" tribs deserve reward and that not-nice tribs don't deserve to have authority. Grurk's asshole-ness (for lack of a better word) is in line with his rp. He let me have it when I, as an applicant, suggested I might try to be interviewed by an imm if I didn't see Agarah soon, because it wasn't in line with the "way things should be done in the spire". At the time I thought "what an asshole", but subsequently I've realised it is part of what Grurk is about. One thing all spire members have in common is that they are orderly ethos. It is not inappropriate for them to have adherence to structured policies, and punish deviation from them. Trib rank is a part of this, which is why Baendra never expressed her growing disrespect for yourself. You outranked her.

Different characters will focus on different aspects of the Spire. You, ooc, seem to have a good-aligned outlook on it. As in, everyone in the spire should be doing their best to protect the little guy in the city. I used to see it the same way. Whilst I now don't think anyone should abuse their position, there are vastly different reasons to be a tribunal that are all good ones. Grurk's may not tie in with yours, but it still fits.