Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subjectWell, now it's getting more complicated.
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=1979&mesg_id=1996
1996, Well, now it's getting more complicated.
Posted by FS - maybe rolling up a Scion (Guest) on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>>Scion: Kill wealthy stuff. Gather wealth and exert power over all others.
>
>That sounds like Empire to me.
> Go try and play
>a Scion that kills wealthy
>stuff (watch out for uninduction,
>don't loot anyone with your
>nightwalker), gains power, and exerts
>that power over others, or
>show me one that does
>that .. and then find
>out to what end this
>gained power goes. What
>do you want the power
>for?

Well, you were looking for an easy direction for the half-involved people to take. Something like "kill evils" for Maran. Or "protect newbies in cities" for Arbiters. I think the people that would find these one-line directions useful really wouldn't put thought into things like "why do we kill evils?" or "what do we want this power for?" For the half-involved, I think it's fine.

Each Scion wants
>it for a different thing.
>The ushering in of "Eternal
>Night?"
>
>We can say it's just half
>empire/half master (power, manipulation/sorcery), but
>it's not.

Well, ok, first, let me ask you this:

What was the original goal of Shadow? Did you find Shadow to be a fleshed out cabal?

Second, and maybe you disagree with me on this, I always saw Scion as an Illuminati-type of organization. A gathering of twisted men and women who are among the most wealthy and powerful and successful, and are driven to pursuing their own wealth, power, and success at any cost - and this drive binds them together. They deal in mystic and dark arts to pursue these ends, and the "goal" changes. At one point they wait for the planets to align so that they can aid the dark child to be born. At another point they stand in the way of a good hero trying to slay an ancient monster. At another point they plot the downfall of a minor country through subterfuge - all to bring them more power. And I think this is where these "mini quests" come in. It would be ideal if these "goals" would be player-generated by the Chancellors, but... oh well.

The only problem I see with this is the mass induction standards of the Scion cabal. The Illuminati are an elite organization. And I guess you do have a point that all the "fodder" are left out of the driving goals of the moment for the Scion cabal - treated like tools and thugs to go out and harness power and obey the commands of the elite. ("gather wealth and power and exert influence over others").

I guess you're saying that you're not content with the "mini-goal" of being Scion, and irritated with being left out of the "driving goals" that shift from time to time. And to this I can only say, yes, Empire was a kick ass idea for a cabal, but Empire failed because too many people didn't want to make the sacrafices necessary to maintain the roleplay of it. And, further, if you want the Empire back ... why not roleplay bringing it back with your friends? Why not name yourselves Sect Heads and work to rebuild its influence until an Immortal patron takes notice and makes it so?

>I guess the player who doesn't
>put 100% into roleplaying doesn't
>deserve to be a part
>of it, though.
>

I can't say. I can only say I wasn't part of any quests, myself.

>As long as we're quoting the
>helpfile... "Driven by pursuits of
> sorcery, deception, or manipulation,
>they are ALL REFLECTIVE OF
>THE DARK AND TWISTED NATURE
>OF ***THE ETERNAL NIGHT***."
>
>Now tell me what Eternal Night
>is. These black-hearted souls
>are reflective of it, and
>sorcery/deception/manipulation might have something to
>do with it.. and uh,