Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Announcements
Topic subjectCF Lives.
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=3&topic_id=2111&mesg_id=2111
2111, CF Lives.
Posted by Twist on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
The good news is limited, but pretty big. Zulghinlour has managed to revive CF.

Telnet carrionfields.net 4444

Note the new address. Carrionfields.com may work sometime soon, but for now use .net, and use port 4444. If old habits die hard for you, and you try 9999, don't be alarmed. Port 9999 is actually another mud, a POS clone.

The bad news is we got mostly screwed by ThePlanet, the old hosting company. There was apparently some issue with the credit card. We still don't know exactly what. We may never know. It isn't a lack of funds, we know that. Basically, our card was declined for whatever reason, and ThePlanet did not send any warning notification (that we received, at any rate).

Then, again without warning, they "reclaimed" the server. I.e. formatted it. Gone. Toast.

Luckily, we have a development server, and we are able to rebuild from there. The problem is, we don't keep/need pfiles on the development server.

So yeah. All of the pfiles are gone, never to return. As are some other important things, but nothing as bad as all the pfiles.

"Why weren't we told earlier?" To be frank, we didn't know exactly what was going on until yesterday, when Jullias was able to talk to someone at ThePlanet and get the info. So we honestly didn't have anything to report beyond what we did. Then we didn't want to post until we had figured out whether we could get CF up and running elsewhere. Zulg did, so here's the post.

Normally at this point I'd make a flippant remark about how Iunna deleted your pfiles, or how Graatch can be happy because the hummingbird pendant will be in, but honestly right now my heart isn't in it.

Good news is that we're going to be doing doubleXP for a while to get folks up to speed. I would ask that you bear with us while we get up and running on our new server, there's a bajillion kinks that have already been worked out (Zulg is the Man) and there's sure to be even more coming.

For the "IC" version of what happened, check out the History and Current Events board. In the meantime, it's time to choose...By what name do you wish to be mourned?