Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Events & Contests
Topic subjectRE: Various...
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=25&topic_id=433&mesg_id=564
564, RE: Various...
Posted by Moi on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Thanks for the responses. Appreciated. Where your answers generated new questions or a desire to comment, I've proceeded accordingly below.

>>Similarly, did those of you who were there at the time know
>>that Cador was Eriwal, that he coded up the wolverine and
>had
>>it given to himself, and that at least a major part of the
>>justification was that he didn't practice parry, or
>something
>>like that?
>
>I've gone into this to some degree in SMUG's giant post
>elsewhere on this thread; have a look at that and let me know
>if there are still questions.

I read what you wrote below on this and I think your answer was a bit facile. "Eriwal had Twist's tattoo; Twist gave Eriwal the wolverine." This doesn't really address the truth of the situation, which is that there was almost certainly an enormous discussion among the imms - or at least the upper imms - on this whole topic. As I recall this was the very first quest form ever given. And we both know that Kalvin would have discussed it in depth with his closest friends and colleagues up there, meaning you and Cador and one or two others. And that's just about the concept of quest forms, forms which (I've been told) were coded by Cador, the wolvering arguably being the best of them. There must also have then been the big discussion among you big imms about whether Eriwal deserved that form, having had the discussion about the form itself already or at least concurrently. I'm having trouble believing that the man who coded it, who was the primary if not one of the primary imps at the time, absented himself from all these discussions. Or that Twist didn't know Eriwal was Cador. At that time it was more routine for imms to know that, as Valg and you have said things have been changed to make it more of an effort to see such information now.

And, lastly, I am still curious if you happen to remember the specific idea that one of if not the biggest roleplay justifications for Eriwal's reward was his choice to leave parry unpracticed. That was big on the rumor mill for a while, and obviously seemed like pretty little when balanced against the collossal benefit he received in the wolverine.

>>Other than when it was done to me, have you (the staff) ever
>>deliberately screwed with a character's pfile, for whatever
>>reason? Meaning false entries in the imm-only history, or
>>reducing unseen stats so the player doesn't know he's been
>>####ed, etc. One of the reasons I was told for why it was
>>done to me that time was to flush out an imm who was
>>supposedly telling tales outside of school, so certainly
>that
>>could have happened again. Has it?
>
>That was the only time I was aware of, and in that case your
>would-be empowering imm was informed that the 'bait' entry was
>bogus. Theoretically it shouldn't have had an effect on you.
>Theoretically.
>

Yeah, well, as you know perfectly well that's not actually what happened, and the only reason I ever found out about it was exactly because it did have an effect, and the imm told me I would never be empowered. The bait entry - that Sebeok referred to as ludicrous - was that my lowbie paladin had gone killing orphans in balator and used the "moon" social to moon the paladin guildmaster. No matter what I did or said, the would-be empowering imm told me he had no reason not to believe what other gods had told him and he would never empower someone who could do what I did. After enough pressure I found out that there was some entry like that, and here we are. Frankly that's what caused a good deal of my anger at the staff. That and it being denied for a long time - until you owned up to it one day, for which I still thank you.