Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Bug Submissions
Topic subjectAP Controls
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=19759
19759, AP Controls
Posted by Ragloghlin on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
It may have been this way for a long time, but it has been a long time since I've played an AP. If these are features, so be it, but they seem wonky.

1. The help file for controls shows a syntax that does not take a parameter: cast 'fires of ninauurm'. The reality is you need to designate a weapon, in your inventory, to cast it upon: cast 'fires of ninauurm' sword. If you try to give the item wielded as a parameter, this spell and 'control unholy' cannot find the weapon.
* Change the help file to show the required parameter, or remove the parameter requirement.
** Suggestion: allow these spells to work on wielded weapons if no parameter is given.

2. The help file for 'control unholy blessing' should more clearly state that its purpose is apparently to remove controls from weapons. If this spell does more than that, please include it in the help file.

3. Using a control spell on a weapon within your inventory extends the effect to whatever weapon you are holding. This is a 'workaround' for the problem described in item 1.

4. Related to item 3, the affect is tied to the person, not the weapon whose parameter you entered into the spell. Assuming an AP has access to multiple controls, it may be in their interest to have weapons with different attack types, even if only the mainhand weapon could use a control prog.

5. 'Flames of ninauurm' appears in the affect list with a spell timer on it, however when the affect has expired all unholy weapons will still have the flaming effect, including the flaming blast prog.
19783, RE: AP Controls
Posted by Zulghinlour on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>1. The help file for controls shows a syntax that does not
>take a parameter: cast 'fires of ninauurm'. The reality is
>you need to designate a weapon, in your inventory, to cast it
>upon: cast 'fires of ninauurm' sword. If you try to give the
>item wielded as a parameter, this spell and 'control unholy'
>cannot find the weapon.

Helpfiles have all been updated.

>2. The help file for 'control unholy blessing' should more
>clearly state that its purpose is apparently to remove
>controls from weapons. If this spell does more than that,
>please include it in the help file.

If this line is not clear enough, I'm open to suggestions? This spell will allow them to revert an unholy blessed weapon to it's original damage type.

>4. Related to item 3, the affect is tied to the person, not
>the weapon whose parameter you entered into the spell.
>Assuming an AP has access to multiple controls, it may be in
>their interest to have weapons with different attack types,
>even if only the mainhand weapon could use a control prog.

I put this on my long-term list, I agree it makes more sense if you have multiple unholy weapons.

>5. 'Flames of ninauurm' appears in the affect list with a
>spell timer on it, however when the affect has expired all
>unholy weapons will still have the flaming effect, including
>the flaming blast prog.

The duration is a timer until you can cast another. So you can't cast fire for this fight against a felar, turn around and cast icy for a fight against a fire giant 3 ticks later. There is some level of skill and tactics in your choice.