Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Bug Submissions
Topic subjectEvading after strip
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=11824
11824, Evading after strip
Posted by Awk on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
1016hp 470m 856mv 4806tnl (74.57%)>
Avara wraps the tail of a drolem around your weapon, stripping it from your hand!
A mattock of tundra evergreen flies right to Avara and she catches it!
Avara is in perfect health.

<1016hp 470m 856mv 4806tnl (74.57%)> Avara skillfully positions her body so that your boneshatter cannot succeed.
Avara is in perfect health.

still had the boneshatter lag as well.
11845, By design.
Posted by Valguarnera on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You evade the attempt, whether or not it could have been successful. This has been addressed a few times. Works the same way as mongoose-dodge and related abilities have worked.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com
11852, RE: By design.
Posted by Jhyrbian on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I think his problem is that he was stripped so he's no longer wielding that mace in his mainhand and he shouldn't have been able to boneshatter. Right?

Cheers,
Jhyrb
11859, Correct.
Posted by Valguarnera on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
And much like trying to Disarm a mongoose or whatever, all of the evasion checks precede the more detailed checked about whether or not the skill (here, Boneshatter) can succeed.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com
11860, Hrm
Posted by Mek on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I understand that's the traditional way that all evade/mongoose-dodge type abilities have worked forever...but I cannot help but think that it's a bit nutty.

To elaborate on that, the abilities in question are basically making a "mechanics abuse" bug upon the person they are evading/dodging. In this case, Awk's character cannot even begin to try "stripping" hit opponent, since he has no whip, and yet the system is knocking him for it. He should probably get the "You must wield a whip or flail to strip your opponent" message.

I mean, its what I'd call an excessive punishment. The guy already got stripped, so chances are he's going to get his ass beat until he can re-arm, and then that just tacks on two rounds of lag too.

I just don't see how it helps the game, that's all.
11866, RE: Hrm
Posted by Daevryn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Long story short... the code is a lot easier that way.

I'm not saying it will never be changed, but I probably could write all the skills for a new class for a similar amount of work.
11867, Addenda:
Posted by Daevryn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I can imagine a couple possible abuses with the code as-is, but it's a more efficient management of my time to just deny anyone who sets out to exploit it.