Subject: "Daunting Presence Edge Prereq Request" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #62844
Show all folders

ACuriousBard (Anonymous)Thu 03-Mar-16 04:25 PM
Charter member
#62844, "Daunting Presence Edge Prereq Request"

Hi Imms,
Just wondering if you'd be willing to provide a little more info on the prereqs for daunting presence. A search popped up that there's a PK requirement over a certain level range.

Are there any specifics there that you could share? I saw that the level range is pre-fiend, but it is it levels 1-44, or something tighter? Are we talking 100 PKW or 10?

Thanks! It looks like a fun (and rare) edge, and I'd love to get the chance to try it out.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: Daunting Presence Edge Prereq Request, Umiron, 03-Mar-16 10:27 PM, #3
Reply RE: Daunting Presence Edge Prereq Request, ACuriousBard (Anonymous), 16-Mar-16 01:56 PM, #12
Reply My advice, KaguMaru, 03-Mar-16 07:51 PM, #1
     Reply Daunting presence is insane., Gaplemo, 03-Mar-16 08:28 PM, #2
          Reply Think you're over stating it a little bit, lasentia, 04-Mar-16 07:49 AM, #4
          Reply It's like parry anything with far higher success rate., Gaplemo, 04-Mar-16 01:29 PM, #5
          Reply oops, Aereglen, 05-Mar-16 10:44 PM, #6
          Reply For the record, Aereglen, 05-Mar-16 10:43 PM, #7
          Reply RE: Daunting presence is insane., Umiron, 05-Mar-16 11:34 PM, #8
               Reply Thats a fair statement. One question though..., Gaplemo, 06-Mar-16 02:14 AM, #9
                    Reply RE: Thats a fair statement. One question though..., Umiron, 06-Mar-16 06:01 AM, #10
                         Reply Thanks! I was always curious about that. nt, Gaplemo, 07-Mar-16 05:06 AM, #11

UmironThu 03-Mar-16 10:27 PM
Member since 29th May 2017
1495 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#62847, "RE: Daunting Presence Edge Prereq Request"
In response to Reply #0

It's expensive, but at the same time the average level 41-51 character has earned enough edge points to take it 3 1/2 times over.

The only non-obvious (from discuss) requirement is some PKs, which isn't a ton but they do need to be gotten before a certain level. We're not talking a "I won't get this edge without being a douche bag" number of kills, but we're also not talking about a number that someone who really sucks is going to hit either.

ACuriousBard (Anonymous)Wed 16-Mar-16 01:56 PM
Charter member
#62962, "RE: Daunting Presence Edge Prereq Request"
In response to Reply #3

Totally asking for a friend...

Just to confirm, the requirement is total PK wins *anywhere* in the level range 11-44?

I know there's a (reasonable) hesitancy to give out specifics, but my friend wants to make sure he's not wasting his time and annoying other people for no good reason.

KaguMaruThu 03-Mar-16 07:51 PM
Member since 15th Sep 2012
805 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#62845, "My advice"
In response to Reply #0

With edge points being what they are, pick one medium cost edge that you know for sure makes a huge difference to the class, and then forget about edges. Exotic stuff like this is gone.

GaplemoThu 03-Mar-16 08:28 PM
Member since 06th May 2010
618 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#62846, "Daunting presence is insane."
In response to Reply #1

Imo, it's one of the strongest edges in the game and can and will make or break your success with a bard, especially if you are a skilled one. It can mean the difference between tough foe and nightmare to deal with.

It's pks before Fiend, it might be a few in every level range. If you got 30-35 kills pre fiend I think you would be ok, just spread them out.

lasentiaFri 04-Mar-16 07:49 AM
Member since 27th Apr 2010
987 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#62851, "Think you're over stating it a little bit"
In response to Reply #2

Never had it, but looking through PBFs, I think Kyaltaru and Nerif are the only bards who have (outside of unpublished ones). Nerif had 27 Pks by 40, so that probably helps give an idea of the required number, since he only had 29 total.

Halting an occasional attack can be nice, but if that makes or breaks your success you're playing a bard wrong. There are so many far more important things to playing bards well than the edge. With lullaby & grand nocturne being what they are, and the player base largely knowing how easy it is to deal with those, preventing someone from engaging is probably more important for you being able to survive than it is for being able to kill people. Probably nice, but I can think of quite a few bard edges I'd rather have over that one, especially when you'll have less edge points in the current system.

It seems likely any area attack would bypass the edge, but I have no idea if that's the case.

Funny thing though, most players are never actually afraid of a bard that's alone in PK I'd say next to a healer, they are the least feared class in CF. And even a healer might be scarier since they have gate.

GaplemoFri 04-Mar-16 01:29 PM
618 posts
#62856, "It's like parry anything with far higher success rate."
In response to Reply #4

I've seen some logs of it in action making people miss 5/6 skills before. If you are fighting any sort of warrior or fighting class, it can mean surviving or dying. Say goodbye to bash from greeting warriors, throw lag, bearcharge lag, etc etc.

AereglenSat 05-Mar-16 10:41 PM
Member since 23rd Apr 2011
476 posts
#62859, "oops"
In response to Reply #4
Edited on Sat 05-Mar-16 10:44 PM

AereglenSat 05-Mar-16 10:43 PM
Member since 23rd Apr 2011
476 posts
#62860, "For the record"
In response to Reply #4

Nerif deleted early out of boredom with the char. He could have cleaned house if he wanted to. Just in case you were looking at his 29pks total and thinking the edge isn't that good because of it.

It is a gamechanger.

UmironSat 05-Mar-16 11:34 PM
1495 posts
#62861, "RE: Daunting presence is insane."
In response to Reply #2

For what it's worth, I'd rephrase to "daunting presence can be insane". Even when assuming a bard with high charisma and very high morale, there are countermeasures. Perhaps because it's an edge as opposed to a class ability, or because it's uncommon, or who knows, folks seem to have assumed that because daunting presence has looked good that it is automatically always that good, which is false.

I'll leave people with this: there are a lot of times you can give less than two ####s about morale, but fighting a bard with daunting presence shouldn't be one of them. And that's where something like a seemingly worthless inspiration prep comes in handy, amongst other things.

GaplemoSun 06-Mar-16 02:14 AM
618 posts
#62862, "Thats a fair statement. One question though..."
In response to Reply #8

I was told by someone that had it for an extended period of time that daunting presence seemed to grow in power the more pks you get. So it starts out when you get it at a baseline, but has a great amount of potential as you get deadlier and deadlier to become a factor. Any truth to that?

UmironSun 06-Mar-16 06:01 AM
1495 posts
#62863, "RE: Thats a fair statement. One question though..."
In response to Reply #9

>I was told by someone that had it for an extended period of
>time that daunting presence seemed to grow in power the more
>pks you get. So it starts out when you get it at a baseline,
>but has a great amount of potential as you get deadlier and
>deadlier to become a factor. Any truth to that?

Zero truth.

GaplemoMon 07-Mar-16 05:06 AM
618 posts
#62868, "Thanks! I was always curious about that. nt"
In response to Reply #10

nt

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #62844 Previous topic | Next topic