Subject: "A newbish question" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #15743
Show all folders

dalnekoSat 30-Dec-06 07:07 PM
Member since 28th Feb 2006
268 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#15743, "A newbish question"

Let's say I have a battleaxe. This battleaxe I have is a mighty fine battleaxe since it has a freezing bite and I can use it to potentially own fire giants by hitting their vulnerability. Now this mighty fine battleaxe is also made of metal. Specifically iron. Would I, with this mighty fine tool of destruction, also be able to potentially own elves (high & wood) by hitting their iron vulnerability? I am not sure on this and have tried asking in game but never really got a straight answer. Thinking the forums could help. Thanks.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Weapon Vulns, WildGirl, 30-Dec-06 08:22 PM, #2
Reply Uh thanks., dalneko, 30-Dec-06 09:20 PM, #3
Reply RE: Weapon Vulns, Daevryn, 30-Dec-06 11:06 PM, #4
     Reply Ornate silver scepter!, GinGa, 30-Dec-06 11:11 PM, #5
     Reply Nope!, Daevryn, 30-Dec-06 11:35 PM, #6
          Reply I once had a giant..., WildGirl, 31-Dec-06 10:51 AM, #11
          Reply RE: I once had a giant..., Daevryn, 31-Dec-06 11:29 AM, #12
          Reply RE: I once had a giant..., Valguarnera, 31-Dec-06 11:34 AM, #13
               Reply Probably as simple as, Theerkla, 31-Dec-06 11:35 AM, #14
          Reply Ooooh, oooh!, GinGa, 01-Jan-07 10:57 AM, #18
          Reply RE: Ooooh, oooh!, Daevryn, 01-Jan-07 11:01 AM, #19
          Reply How about, DurNominator, 01-Jan-07 03:09 PM, #20
          Reply Armored War Barge., Straklaw, 01-Jan-07 05:39 PM, #21
     Reply RE: Weapon Vulns, Mort, 31-Dec-06 12:05 AM, #7
     Reply Actually this raises a question, Drag0nSt0rm, 31-Dec-06 12:54 AM, #8
     Reply RE: Actually this raises a question, Daevryn, 31-Dec-06 02:52 AM, #9
          Reply Thank you, Drag0nSt0rm, 31-Dec-06 03:23 AM, #10
          Reply Got to ask a few more..., GinGa, 31-Dec-06 07:17 PM, #16
               Reply RE: Got to ask a few more..., DurNominator, 31-Dec-06 08:12 PM, #17
     Reply RE: Weapon Vulns, Isildur, 31-Dec-06 06:00 PM, #15
Reply Yes, Theerkla, 30-Dec-06 07:13 PM, #1

WildGirlSat 30-Dec-06 08:22 PM
Member since 16th Sep 2004
250 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#15745, "Weapon Vulns"
In response to Reply #0

As I understand it, vulnerabilities are stackable, but the curve is not exponential.

For example, if a race was vulnerable to a metal and an element, using something that had one or the other would hurt them more than using a weapon against them that had none of their vulnerabilities. But, if you had a weapon that had both the metal and the element, it would hurt them more than one single vulnerabilty weapon, but not twice as much. From a number perspective, it would be like normal weapon = 1.0 damage, one vuln weapon = 1.5 damage, two vuln weapon = 1.75 damage.

There are weapons that exploit three vulns, and it would be maybe something like three vuln = 1.95. Its sort of a law of diminishing returns situation. You're still limited by the avg. damage output of the weapon, but sometimes if you can exploit multiple vulnerabilities, its slightly more favorable than wielding a higher avg. weapon with no vuln exploits. Part of game balance and all.

dalnekoSat 30-Dec-06 09:20 PM
Member since 28th Feb 2006
268 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#15746, "Uh thanks."
In response to Reply #2

But really, that's a little more info that was necessary for the question which Theerkla did answer well enough. Simple questions only really need simple answers. Appreciate the numbers though. I'm sure it might come in handy to know sometime.

DaevrynSat 30-Dec-06 11:06 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
#15748, "RE: Weapon Vulns"
In response to Reply #2

>There are weapons that exploit three vulns

Uh, like what?

GinGaSat 30-Dec-06 11:11 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
996 posts
#15749, "Ornate silver scepter!"
In response to Reply #4

Its silver, blunt and divine power - on a calandaryl skeleton.

I'm not positive blunt and divine power mix but someone went out with two equal weapons, a searing sword and a searing mace. Apparently, the mace hurt more than the sword despite being equal (lightforged weapons, I think). I could be wrong, but thats what I'd felt was right before the test.

Yhorian.

DaevrynSat 30-Dec-06 11:35 PM
11117 posts
#15751, "Nope!"
In response to Reply #5

It's blunt or it's divine power. Either-or.

WildGirlSun 31-Dec-06 10:51 AM
Member since 16th Sep 2004
250 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#15761, "I once had a giant..."
In response to Reply #6

...who had trapping/chilling. The damage I did against Calandaryl skeletons with a divine power mace (blunt + divine + heavy) didn't match the damage I was doing with ornate silver scepters. In fact, I dual wielded the scepters and went to town with oblit/annihalate drums. You can't exploit three vulns like that?

DaevrynSun 31-Dec-06 11:29 AM
11117 posts
#15762, "RE: I once had a giant..."
In response to Reply #11

Nope, because the divine power mace isn't blunt.

However, in that case holy + silver probably is greater than just holy.

ValguarneraSun 31-Dec-06 11:34 AM
6904 posts
#15763, "RE: I once had a giant..."
In response to Reply #11

...who had trapping/chilling. The damage I did against Calandaryl skeletons with a divine power mace (blunt + divine + heavy) didn't match the damage I was doing with ornate silver scepters. In fact, I dual wielded the scepters and went to town with oblit/annihalate drums. You can't exploit three vulns like that?

1) That mace is divine, not blunt. Try to beat up gnomes with it. Is not so good.

2) Nothing is "vuln heavy". Trapping just lets you deal more damage to anything when wielding heavy weapons.

3) Something else is in play there.

4) Some items inflict more or less damage against arbitrary targets. Like Humansunder!

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

TheerklaSun 31-Dec-06 11:35 AM
1055 posts
#15765, "Probably as simple as"
In response to Reply #13

Ornate silver scepter = average 18

GinGaMon 01-Jan-07 10:57 AM
996 posts
#15773, "Ooooh, oooh!"
In response to Reply #6

What about buffet of a flying gnome with an magic/air malison!

If that's three vulns hit (flying, blunt and magic) That's three vulns, triple nastiness!

Okay, so its not a weapon. I was trying to think of an odd situation with a heart seeker/amathylar or something. Guess if this isn't right, I can't really think of a situation more than 2 vulns are found.

Yhorian.

DaevrynMon 01-Jan-07 11:01 AM
11117 posts
#15774, "RE: Ooooh, oooh!"
In response to Reply #18

Buffet's not bluntful.

DurNominatorMon 01-Jan-07 03:09 PM
Member since 08th Nov 2004
2018 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#15776, "How about"
In response to Reply #18

Using the wrathing whitesteel sword named "Duergarsunder" to do the extra buff damage to duergars(Material vuln whitesteel, damage type vuln wrath, special weapon prog vuln Duergarsunder). But if you want a real case with three vulns, Mort's acid vuln half-drow vs Humansunder is the closest thing so far.

On the other note, would magic vuln make you vuln to all spells, such as fireball, or just the damage type magic?

StraklawMon 01-Jan-07 05:39 PM
Member since 10th Mar 2003
1014 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#15777, "Armored War Barge."
In response to Reply #6

Honestly. I don't care who you are, getting canoewhacked by a barge HAS to count for three vulns.

MortSun 31-Dec-06 12:05 AM
Member since 23rd Jan 2006
194 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#15752, "RE: Weapon Vulns"
In response to Reply #4

The Humansunder against an acid-vulnerable half-drow, duh. Sure, one isn't technically a vuln and one is just a half-vuln, but it's 3 damage increases right there!

Drag0nSt0rmSun 31-Dec-06 12:54 AM
450 posts
#15753, "Actually this raises a question"
In response to Reply #4

If a damage noun counts as two types of damage for instance Defilement, which I think is Acid and unholy damage, if something was potentially weak to both would this count as a double vuln? Or am I completely full of crap starting at Defilement?

DaevrynSun 31-Dec-06 02:52 AM
11117 posts
#15757, "RE: Actually this raises a question"
In response to Reply #8

>Or am I completely full of crap starting at
>Defilement?

Yup. Defilement is negative/unholy damage. (To be clear, that's two names for one damage type, not two different damage types.)

Drag0nSt0rmSun 31-Dec-06 03:23 AM
450 posts
#15758, "Thank you"
In response to Reply #9

That was perfectly clear, I always did wonder about that...

GinGaSun 31-Dec-06 07:17 PM
996 posts
#15769, "Got to ask a few more..."
In response to Reply #9

What kind of damage is Digestion?!?

What does Chaotic Blast count as?

Rending gale? This always seemed to be magical but it doesn't cut through resist physical.

Thanks!

Yhorian.

DurNominatorSun 31-Dec-06 08:12 PM
Member since 08th Nov 2004
2018 posts
#15771, "RE: Got to ask a few more..."
In response to Reply #16

rend /rɛnd/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation verb, rent, rend·ing.
–verb (used with object) 1. to separate into parts with force or violence: The storm rent the ship to pieces.
2. to tear apart, split, or divide: a racial problem that is rending the nation.
3. to pull or tear violently (often fol. by away, off, up, etc.).
4. to tear (one's garments or hair) in grief, rage, etc.
5. to disturb (the air) sharply with loud noise.
6. to harrow or distress (the heart) with painful feelings.
–verb (used without object) 7. to split or tear something.
8. to become torn or split.

Based on that, I'm going to say that the damage type is slash.

IsildurSun 31-Dec-06 06:00 PM
5969 posts
#15768, "RE: Weapon Vulns"
In response to Reply #4

Whitesteel weapon w/ holy attack on a duergar anathema?

TheerklaSat 30-Dec-06 07:13 PM
1055 posts
#15744, "Yes"
In response to Reply #0

Attack verb and material type are two different things and can each hit separate vulnerabilities. I'm still searching for that whitesteel wrathing weapon to tool duergar.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #15743 Previous topic | Next topic