Subject: "Exploring as a villager--are there areas you can't get ..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #3677
Show all folders

Village Idiot (Anonymous)Wed 14-Dec-11 11:17 AM
Charter member
#3677, "Exploring as a villager--are there areas you can't get out of without recall?"

Thinking about trying a villager, but have thus far relied heavily on return potions/spells.

Are there certain areas that you can't get out of without magic (other than certain trap rooms)? There are certain area explore places like Organia that I'm still trying to figure out how one can get out of, let alone how to do it without a potion.

If so, could you share a list of what areas to never go into as a villager unless you want to leave as a ghost?

Also, while we're at it, can someone explain the general village philosophy on healers, paladins, shamans, etc. Can villagers use healers? Are there some villagers who are okay with these empowered classes so long as they don't use magic beyond their empowered supplications? Any tips on how to RP this aspect of the game would be great.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Villagers and Exploration, Homard, 14-Dec-11 12:18 PM, #2
Reply RE: Exploring as a villager--are there areas you can't ..., Daevryn, 14-Dec-11 11:33 AM, #1
     Reply Possible exception re: areas, Twist, 14-Dec-11 12:27 PM, #3
     Reply RE: Possible exception re: areas, Daevryn, 14-Dec-11 01:36 PM, #4
          Reply Illiterate Minotaur, Twist, 14-Dec-11 02:43 PM, #5
     Reply Can you get off the cliffs on insanity by walking?, Tac, 14-Dec-11 06:17 PM, #6
          Reply RE: Can you get off the cliffs on insanity by walking?, Daevryn, 14-Dec-11 09:02 PM, #7

HomardWed 14-Dec-11 12:18 PM
Member since 10th Apr 2010
959 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3680, "Villagers and Exploration"
In response to Reply #0

As a serial Villager I have long maintained that Battle is great for exploration. This is due to the simple fact that most Area Explore areas are no-recall, no-teleport anyway, so this completely mitigates the biggest drawback that a Villager has. Each Battle path has skills that are tremendously helpful during exploration, with the clear edge going to Defenders.

The biggest issue to keep in mind when playing Battle is that you're going to die. There are situations that a level 11 Elf Invoker can get out of easily that will kill you if you are Commander of Battle. That's the price that must be paid.

That said, as Daevryn pointed out, all areas can be walked out of. It's just a matter of having either someone who knows the way or bringing enough food and water to figure out the way yourself. While there is something to be said for the second approach, I would greatly recommend the first tactic as a way to learn an area.

It can be extremely helpful, as a Villager, to have friends who are Outlanders, as they can grant you Windwalk, which can get you out of some "I can't fly, I'm dead," situations.

As for priests, like Nep said, as long as they don't commune on you, everything should be fine. Obviously, priests of Twist will not make good travelling companions. Some other patron deities will find their followers at odds with Battle as well. Paladins, however, make great groupmates, as they can still perform first aid on you, which is a skill, not a commune.

Good luck.

DaevrynWed 14-Dec-11 11:33 AM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3679, "RE: Exploring as a villager--are there areas you can't ..."
In response to Reply #0

>If so, could you share a list of what areas to never go into
>as a villager unless you want to leave as a ghost?

Excluding trap rooms and the like, there's a way to "walk" out of every area.

But that being said, you could still potentially get into trouble. For example, once you start going through (here unnamed Area Explore), you're going to get stuck at some point unless you can fly, so your dwarf warrior Battlerager may find himself sadly contemplating a suicide knife.

>Also, while we're at it, can someone explain the general
>village philosophy on healers, paladins, shamans, etc. Can
>villagers use healers?

You can use the healer in the Village itself; that's it.

>Are there some villagers who are okay
>with these empowered classes so long as they don't use magic
>beyond their empowered supplications? Any tips on how to RP
>this aspect of the game would be great.

As a rule of thumb, communers are okay, communers communing on you are not okay. It's slightly more nuanced than that but that's as much as you really need to know to be inducted.

TwistWed 14-Dec-11 12:27 PM
Member since 23rd Sep 2006
3431 posts
#3681, "Possible exception re: areas"
In response to Reply #1

It's possible I just don't know of a way, but once you are on the Strange Island, you can only walk to Enpolad's garden. And yes there are non-magical ways to Enpolad's garden, but they require you to SAY or YELL a certain phrase. Both ways that I'm aware of will not work for those with minospeech.

So if you're playing a rager minotaur, avoid strange island. Unless, like I say, there's a nonmagical way out of there that I'm unaware of.

DaevrynWed 14-Dec-11 01:36 PM
11117 posts
#3682, "RE: Possible exception re: areas"
In response to Reply #3

That might only be a problem for illiterate Minotaur.

TwistWed 14-Dec-11 02:43 PM
Member since 23rd Sep 2006
3431 posts
#3683, "Illiterate Minotaur"
In response to Reply #4

...was my college nickname. So yeah that makes sense.

TacWed 14-Dec-11 06:17 PM
Member since 15th Nov 2005
2050 posts
#3684, "Can you get off the cliffs on insanity by walking?"
In response to Reply #1

I teleported there with a past character and couldn't find a non-lethal way down which caused me to find the way up which seemed to be one way.

I don't think you can walk out of some lost elf infested places and essentially have to use magic.

I'm sure there are other non-area explore areas that will allow you to go so far and then not get back without some magic transport, but I'm not thinking of any right now other than Cliffs of Insanity...

Hell is essentially one giant death trap, but that applies to everyone, not just ragers.

DaevrynWed 14-Dec-11 09:02 PM
11117 posts
#3685, "RE: Can you get off the cliffs on insanity by walking?"
In response to Reply #6

>I teleported there with a past character and couldn't find a
>non-lethal way down which caused me to find the way up which
>seemed to be one way.

I believe you can, yes.

>I don't think you can walk out of some lost elf infested
>places and essentially have to use magic.

You can. (Well, you end up teleporting depending on how you want to look at it, but it happens just from you walking.)

>I'm sure there are other non-area explore areas that will
>allow you to go so far and then not get back without some
>magic transport, but I'm not thinking of any right now other
>than Cliffs of Insanity...
>
>Hell is essentially one giant death trap, but that applies to
>everyone, not just ragers.

But you can ultimately walk through, you just probably won't make it.

Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #3677 Previous topic | Next topic