Subject: "Connection Rejected" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #338
Show all folders

AdraemarFri 23-Jan-04 12:25 AM
Member since 23rd Jan 2004
5 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#338, "Connection Rejected"
Edited on Fri 23-Jan-04 01:04 AM

Hello,

Today I came to the MUD for the first time and began creating a character named Adraemar. During creation, I was disconnected due to a DSL hiccup while picking my race. I was unable to connect for 30 minutes straight because the MUD seemed to indicate that my connection was still active. After being unable to create a character again, I switched over to my secondary ethernet controller and was able to connect and create Adraemar. I played for maybe 20 minutes or so, then saved and quit out. I then switched back to my primary ethernet controller and went on about my business doing other things. Recently tonight (the past 10 minutes, 11:30 CST), I tried connecting to the MUD again to find that my connection is immediately rejected, almost as if the MUD is down. I got a friend to check if it was down, but he could connect fine. I was wondering if someone could look into the problem for me. It's almost like I'm sitebanned for some reason. I can ping the server, but I can't connect. If anyone could check for me, I'd really appreciate it. I'd like to play =)

Thanks,

Adraemar

P.S. My ISP is Speakeasy DSL, if that helps you check against my IP.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: Connection Rejected, Valguarnera, 23-Jan-04 05:45 AM, #1
     Reply RE: Connection Rejected, Adraemar, 23-Jan-04 02:10 PM, #2
          Reply RE: Connection Rejected, Adraemar, 23-Jan-04 05:56 PM, #3
               Reply RE: Connection Rejected, Valguarnera, 23-Jan-04 07:19 PM, #4
                    Reply RE: Connection Rejected, Adraemar, 23-Jan-04 09:17 PM, #5
                         Reply RE: Connection Rejected, Adraemar, 23-Jan-04 09:23 PM, #6
                              Reply RE: Connection Rejected, Coroth, 20-Mar-04 10:30 PM, #7

ValguarneraFri 23-Jan-04 05:45 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#339, "RE: Connection Rejected"
In response to Reply #0

1) You aren't banned. If you are, you get a message that tells you so when you try to connect. We use bans pretty sparingly, so this shouldn't be common at all.

2) The MUD isn't down. We've been up for nearly two days. From the time command, right now:

The Carrion Fields started up at Wed Jan 21 12:09:55 2004
The system time is Fri Jan 23 04:37:00 2004

3) You can run into problems if you open multiple sessions at once, for example to generate more than one character. (This isn't legal, but it can happen by accident if a network snafu occurs on your end and not ours.) If you think this is the case, close all connections, hang out for a few minutes, and try again.

4) It looks like you connected OK some time after your post was written, so I guess whatever happened is resolved. Hopefully the above will prevent future problems.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

AdraemarFri 23-Jan-04 02:10 PM
5 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#340, "RE: Connection Rejected"
In response to Reply #1

Nope, I never did get connected again =/ What time did it say I connected? I'm currently in contact with the staff VIA email and I'm going to try some more alternative solutions to see if I can pinpoint the problem on my end since it doesn't appear to be any sort of siteban.

AdraemarFri 23-Jan-04 05:56 PM
5 posts
#341, "RE: Connection Rejected"
In response to Reply #2

Ok, I'm back at home and I cannot connect with this ISP, either. Yet, I have no other problems with other applications or MUDs. I'm really not sure what the issue is, but it seems like it's either something on your end or something completely localized on my computer that's preventing me from specifically connecting to your MUD.

Adraemar

ValguarneraFri 23-Jan-04 07:19 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#342, "RE: Connection Rejected"
In response to Reply #3

Ok, I'm back at home and I cannot connect with this ISP, either. Yet, I have no other problems with other applications or MUDs. I'm really not sure what the issue is, but it seems like it's either something on your end or something completely localized on my computer that's preventing me from specifically connecting to your MUD.

I'm unsure of what it could be on our end, given that it occurs across multiple IPs and computers for you, yet the MUD is still running and we're not hearing of problems from other players.

The simplest fix is to use raw telnet, and 'open carrionfields.com 9999' at a command prompt. This minimizes any software requirements, and it works just fine for me from random computers.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

AdraemarFri 23-Jan-04 09:17 PM
5 posts
#343, "RE: Connection Rejected"
In response to Reply #4

Nope, telnet doesn't work either. I'll keep messing with it. I'm gonna try other computers and see if I can figure out what else might casue it.

AdraemarFri 23-Jan-04 09:23 PM
5 posts
#344, "RE: Connection Rejected"
In response to Reply #5

I fixed it. Thanks for all the input/help. I ended up finally just deleting the MUD from my list and the folder in the zMUD folder and it finally worked.

CorothSat 20-Mar-04 10:30 PM
Member since 25th Jan 2004
4 posts
#385, "RE: Connection Rejected"
In response to Reply #6

eh..when that happens to me I usually just reset the computer to fix it.

Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #338 Previous topic | Next topic