Subject: "Status Update" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Announcements Code Changes Topic #163
Show all folders

ScarabaeusWed 17-May-17 10:03 AM
Member since 19th Feb 2011
1524 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#163, "Status Update"

I thought it might be worthwhile to let everyone know what's happening behind the scenes these days, especially since much of it is not visible.

We currently have seven new mini-areas that are in production. Why areas? Well, that's how new immortals cut their teeth on being in the CF staff. The good news--apart from the fact that areas are either being updated or expanded with new things--is that means our immstaff is progressing. As these newer immortals advance we will be seeing new religions pop up, new immortal persona taking on cabal management, and more delegation of immortal duties to staff members with growing command options.

The reported lag issue is still being investigated. Since I am taking care of bug reports, system administration, uploading areas, and all of the thankless things Zulghinlour did with amazing dedication, Umiron volunteered to step in and help with the testing (along with some other staff members). Interestingly, they have been unable to reproduce the reported issue. But we're collecting data, which is helpful.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Seven new immortals?, Kstatida, 18-May-17 08:26 AM, #8
Reply Thank you sir (n/t), Bemused, 17-May-17 07:54 PM, #7
Reply This has come up before.., Java, 17-May-17 03:41 PM, #5
Reply I suppose I've never directly responded before, Scarabaeus, 17-May-17 04:14 PM, #6
     Reply Thanks for the response, Java, 18-May-17 02:18 PM, #9
Reply This is great., Iunna, 17-May-17 12:12 PM, #3
Reply RE: Status Update, Jhyrbian, 17-May-17 11:02 AM, #1
     Reply outing/annoying, Scarabaeus, 17-May-17 11:10 AM, #2
          Reply RE: outing/annoying, Tac, 17-May-17 01:32 PM, #4

KstatidaThu 18-May-17 05:35 AM
Member since 12th Feb 2015
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#171, "Seven new immortals?"
In response to Reply #0

Well that's where the numbers went, didn't they?

I hope they make it by June, I'm planning for a badass two-month session

BemusedWed 17-May-17 06:25 PM
Member since 15th Oct 2013
663 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#170, "Thank you sir (n/t)"
In response to Reply #0

gr

JavaWed 17-May-17 01:32 PM
Member since 07th Apr 2003
1055 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#168, "This has come up before.."
In response to Reply #0

But why are areas "how new immortals cut their teeth"? Seems to me that, considering areas aren't really a -need- right now, there might be more efficient ways of bringing new Imms along.

What's the risk to allowing them to actively manage the cabal a little earlier? Or even a religion for that matter? As long as you vet them prior to them joining the staff, and keep at least a decent eye on them early on I don't see much risk. Worst case, maybe a poor leader gets picked or a trash paladin gets tatted. So what? Those are easily correctable. More likely result? Cabals other than Tribunal get some love and the playerbase stops congregating in the Spire.

It just seems like the current system is outdated and only in place because that's how it's always been. Status quo is rarely, if ever, valid justification for a process.

Just a thought.

I do want to say, I really do appreciate this type of status update. From an outside perspective, CF really looks leader-less and direction-less lately even if we know that isn't actually the case. More communication on the way ahead definitely helps clear that up. Hopefully this becomes a regular thing.

ScarabaeusWed 17-May-17 04:14 PM
1524 posts
#169, "I suppose I've never directly responded before"
In response to Reply #5

I don't think of this process as "we've always done it this way" but as "know what you're managing". For ANY immortal, understanding how areas are put together is important to understanding how the game works. Even if you worked on another MUD at some point, understanding how our system works is critical. You can get to know how mechanics work from playing the game, but I would want you to know how the game structures data before you're dealing with players praying about bugs, or creating quest mobs, or designing your temple.

I get that some people will take to the process more readily than others. That doesn't mean it's a meaningless exercise.

JavaThu 18-May-17 12:12 PM
Member since 07th Apr 2003
1055 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#172, "Thanks for the response"
In response to Reply #6

I just wish there was a more efficient way of moving Imms along. New areas are kind of a waste nowadays, when so much attention is needed elsewhere.

That's my opinion though, I appreciate you giving your reasons.

IunnaWed 17-May-17 12:10 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
473 posts
#167, "This is great."
In response to Reply #0

Updates like this are helpful for the majority of us who don't have insight behind the scenes. Sometimes transparency does a lot to curb conspiracy theorists.

Somewhat related, are newsletters still a thing? I haven't received one in a while but I may not actually be on the list. Hopefully with the new up-and-comers, someone will want to take that on as it was a nice vehicle for non-critical game updates.

Thanks for all the hard work!

JhyrbianWed 17-May-17 10:30 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
917 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#164, "RE: Status Update"
In response to Reply #0

Thanks for the updates Sacer, if you want to go one further, you should go ahead and start banning those morons like Laerrist who are full saccing noobs.

If his char Brayan is still active, he outed himself, please just drop a deny on him.

http://www.qhcf.net/phorum/read.php?3,1104996,1104996#msg-1104996

ScarabaeusWed 17-May-17 11:10 AM
1524 posts
#165, "outing/annoying"
In response to Reply #1

This is interesting timing, as a staff member just asked me about this as well (and pulled the trigger, so Brayan is gone).

Outing yourself is never a good idea (though it's typically done in farewell posts), as it conflicts with our first two rules. (Though some may say that such a character is not creating ANY advantage for himself.) I'm less inclined to judge intent, but the "Characters created strictly to annoy others will be removed" rule does seem to be in play here as well.

Our (sometimes deplorable) CF culture has undergone some strange changes in recent years. While I don't oppose full looting by itself, targeting new players does not do anything to enhance this game.

TacWed 17-May-17 01:25 PM
Member since 15th Nov 2005
2050 posts
#166, "RE: outing/annoying"
In response to Reply #2

>This is interesting timing, as a staff member just asked me
>about this as well (and pulled the trigger, so Brayan is
>gone).

http://forums.carrionfields.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=6&topic_id=66979&mesg_id=66979&listing_type=search

I asked about this. Recently. And was given a different answer. Specifically this one: http://forums.carrionfields.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=6&topic_id=66979&mesg_id=66983&page=

While I don't believe giving Glikhardiz the same treatment will be done, that was... I believe fairly obviously... the point of my initial post.

>Outing yourself is never a good idea (though it's typically
>done in farewell posts), as it conflicts with our first two
>rules. (Though some may say that such a character is not
>creating ANY advantage for himself.) I'm less inclined to
>judge intent, but the "Characters created strictly to annoy
>others will be removed" rule does seem to be in play here as
>well.

This character was not created with any intent to strictly annoy others. At least any further than any pickpocket thief who hates magic would be. I'm not arguing against the ban, as I believe outting a character should get you banned, but judging the character to be strictly to annoy others should be based on more than a couple of logs.

>Our (sometimes deplorable) CF culture has undergone some
>strange changes in recent years. While I don't oppose full
>looting by itself, targeting new players does not do anything
>to enhance this game.

To target a new player, one would have to know they were a new player. I have no way to know if a character is new. I was also not the aggressor in latest log. If a mage comes to the village and picks a fight, what is a village character supposed to do?

Top General Discussions Announcements Code Changes Topic #163 Previous topic | Next topic