Subject: "(DEL) Darmok the Weaponsmaster, Bloodoath, Imperial" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #15034
Show all folders

Death_AngelFri 07-Feb-03 08:47 PM
Member since 03rd May 2024
16828 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#15034, "(DEL) Darmok the Weaponsmaster, Bloodoath, Imperial"

Fri Feb 7 20:46:21 2003

5 o''clock PM, Day of the Bull, 1st of the Month of the Grand Struggle on the Theran calendar Darmok perished, never to return.

Race:elf
Class:warrior
Level:51
Alignment:Evil
Ethos:Orderly
Cabal:EMPIRE, the Empire
Hours:318
PK Ratio:52% (closer to 100% is better)

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply *sigh*, Darmok, 15-Feb-03 05:50 PM, #36
Reply Well, it was quite a ride, Darmok, 09-Feb-03 11:29 AM, #5
Reply Damn mongeese!, ANith (Guest), 09-Feb-03 11:37 AM, #7
Reply RE: Well, it was quite a ride, Sassmi (Guest), 09-Feb-03 11:53 AM, #8
Reply RE: Well, it was quite a ride, Kalmah (Guest), 18-Feb-03 01:45 AM, #38
Reply My role, Darmok, 09-Feb-03 01:05 PM, #9
Reply Hey, Mernon, 09-Feb-03 01:52 PM, #10
Reply You were great, Guenrayn (Guest), 09-Feb-03 03:46 PM, #11
Reply Disappointing *and* well done, Vynmylak, 09-Feb-03 05:28 PM, #12
Reply Thanks, Darmok, 09-Feb-03 05:57 PM, #13
Reply RE: Well, it was quite a ride, Taithin, 09-Feb-03 08:35 PM, #14
Reply RE: Well, it was quite a ride, Darmok, 10-Feb-03 01:17 AM, #15
Reply *bleh*, Braoldan (Guest), 10-Feb-03 02:09 PM, #16
Reply RE: *bleh*, Darmok, 11-Feb-03 08:52 PM, #28
Reply Ugh, ya forgot me., Gre (Guest), 10-Feb-03 04:04 PM, #17
Reply Chalk it up to being tired., Darmok, 10-Feb-03 06:43 PM, #20
Reply Good character, Hutto, 10-Feb-03 04:13 PM, #18
Reply RE: Well, it was quite a ride, Xandrya, 10-Feb-03 06:09 PM, #19
Reply Well done!, Kastellyn, 10-Feb-03 08:43 PM, #21
Reply RE: Well, it was quite a ride, Some ST Nerd (Guest), 11-Feb-03 10:42 AM, #22
Reply RE: Well, it was quite a ride, ORB, 11-Feb-03 03:35 PM, #23
Reply RE: Well, it was quite a ride, Valguarnera, 11-Feb-03 03:47 PM, #24
Reply And Kinison is the name of a Ranger in Suikoden II, Araen, 11-Feb-03 04:23 PM, #25
Reply RE: And Kinison is the name of a Ranger in Suikoden II, Quislet, 11-Feb-03 04:31 PM, #26
Reply RE: And Kinison is the name of a Ranger in Suikoden II, Nivek, 14-Feb-03 08:33 PM, #35
Reply Suikoden II kicked ass., Die Billard, 11-Feb-03 07:21 PM, #27
Reply Yup!, Adam (Guest), 16-Feb-03 09:12 AM, #37
Reply Comments/Concerns., Imm In Question (Guest), 11-Feb-03 09:53 PM, #29
Reply RE: Comments/Concerns., Darmok, 11-Feb-03 10:51 PM, #30
     Reply No, I don't have an email., The Imm. (Guest), 12-Feb-03 11:18 AM, #31
          Reply My Email, Darmok, 13-Feb-03 02:29 AM, #33
          Reply Questions..., Involved one (Guest), 26-Feb-03 07:47 PM, #39
Reply RE: Well, it was quite a ride, Punblinpo (Guest), 12-Feb-03 04:06 PM, #32
     Reply RE: Well, it was quite a ride, Darmok, 13-Feb-03 08:53 PM, #34
Reply just have to say..., Quid (Guest), 08-Feb-03 06:07 PM, #4
Reply RE: (DEL) Darmok the Weaponsmaster, Bloodoath, Imperia..., Karel, 07-Feb-03 10:59 PM, #3
Reply RE: (DEL) Darmok the Weaponsmaster, Bloodoath, Imperia..., Vortigern (Guest), 07-Feb-03 09:29 PM, #2
Reply I just have one question., Lachis (Guest), 07-Feb-03 09:02 PM, #1
     Reply RE: I just have one question., Darmok, 09-Feb-03 11:36 AM, #6

DarmokSat 15-Feb-03 05:50 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
0 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#15035, "*sigh*"
In response to Reply #0

I'm very depressed. All I wanted for Christmas was a post from Nepenthe. Even a bad one. *sigh* Nobody likes me, everybody hates me, I'm gonna go eat worms.

Yes, yes, I know, but come on, it's just a joke.

DarmokSun 09-Feb-03 11:29 AM
0 posts
#15036, "Well, it was quite a ride"
In response to Reply #0

As is almost always true Darmok was the "other character" I rolled while waiting for another character to develop and so of course Darmok became instead a real character. Funny how that always works out.

I tried to think of the most difficult combination and situation that might still not suck and then thought of a way to try it. I came up with honorbound elf rager warrior. And it was right about the time Vynymlak started up a religion, so it seemed perfect. Having known other honor gods I figured it would be one of those "have to do everything one on one" kinds of things, so I started out doing everything alone, never fighting one person (mob or pc, Darmok didn't distinguish) with help. Of course, at level 16 or something when I first spoke to Vynmylak he told me that such is not required. But at that point it was part of his role and how could an "honorable" character just up and do an about face? So I'd needlessly doomed myself to the solo levelling to hero. But it was fun.

Most people were very, very, very nice about it. Commenting nicely about how hard it must be, their respect for it, all that. Thank you, all of you, for that. There were a few though who scoffed, so for those, just a few points. Elf Rager Warrior. Think about that. When I die, not only can I not use magical things like charred bracers to reclothe, but because I'm elf much of the usual rager starter set (like spiked bracers from udgaard or the hematite clothing on the bound one or any number of iron things) are unuseable. Rustanviel (wood elf) and I talked once about how difficult it is to get some good basic clothing as an elf rager. Then of course there was the exp penalty always making me 6-9 levels below most of my foes. And, of course, doing everything solo meant I died a sick amount to mobs while levelling. That was never fun. Once in aridhol I was 231 exp to level 46. Died. Time for another 20000 exp or something.

Anyway, it was a pain doing it and it's never taken me that long to hero a character, but it was very satisfying the day it happened, and now you know why. I'll post the role in another post later. One side note: Darmok never did anything deliberately dishonorable. Every now and then he would be forced into a dishonorable fight (if I'm stuck in quicksand and thirsting, there's not much I can do if you choose to come walking into me and another thirsting rager sitting there) but as a player I was scrupulous as much as I could be about maintaining my role in that regard. I never wanted anyone, mortal or immortal, to ever be able to say I'd thrown it over for some quick gain.

Farewells.

Imms:

Vynmylak - one of the primary purposes of Darmok was to meet you and I'm glad I did it. You were a lot of fun to talk to, you seemed genuinely interested and willing to discuss things and you were not afraid to call me on anything questionable. I loved the autoyell during combat and I very much like the idea of the clarion. Only negative was the tattoo. Once you give it something to do, I always think it should actually do it. Never worked, all the way up to the fight I used it in a day or so before you took it away. But that's just a side thing. It was a fun religion and you were a fun person to deal with. I wish we had more compatible playing times, I got the feeling we weren't around much together and that made me a bit sad. Thanks again.

Thror - solid, as usual. Like you or dislike you, nobody can say you don't have a total and complete character. Darmok wasn't my first or even second rager and I knew what to expect and still you made it fun and sometimes surprising. Thank you again for the blade, it was a highlight of his life.

Kastellyn and Intronan - didn't speak too much to either of you but Intronan at least provided an example in the last years of Darmok's life. Ironic that you felt insulted by my calling you a betrayer for leaving, and then of course I left. Hope you understood at the time. Your work is appreciated, both of you.

Bria - What nobody knows here is that if not for you there would not be a Darmok, at least not post level 21 or something. Do you remember all those months ago that night when you and I interacted and you helped me immensely? I still can't thank you enough for that, and like I said then, you always get a bad rap, even from me, but whether all that is true or not you proved to me that you are equally ready to be a terrific counterpart to mortals in the game and that you care about a player having fun. I don't know if you ever watched me after that, but particularly in the hero years I always had a tinge of the things we discussed in him and I tried to let it come out every now and then. Thanks again.

To the Immortal I can't name because of in game things going on - I am not happy with you. I think you dicked me around and I don't understand why. There is a lot I want to say to and ask of you but I don't think it's appropriate here, so I will email you. Does your name have an @cf.com address? I love and always hope for immteraction, but yours was the first in a long long time of cf that was for the most part negative.

Mortals:

Battle.

Bryvac - I think it took about a hundred hours before I got inducted. I remember having Thror actually write a note saying that it would be ok, and then still you wouldn't induct me. I was always kind of pissed about that. But aside from that I thought you were a very good commander and Darmok had great respect for you. Sorry you deleted as a heroimm, but I'm sure you'll be back at least as a player, and the game is more fun when you play.

Grogim - When you were around you were effective. I know what it's like to play at times when few others are around (I was alone or with just one or two other ragers for a good chunk of darmok's life). I of course had the feeling you were around less than prior commanders but I did not and do not now judge. I thought you did fine and was pleased you made me drillmaster. Of course, you led me on much earlier then made others officers and it was only after they died that you turned to me, but I can understand. Nobody really liked Darmok. He wasn't a very jovial or fun person to hang with.

Guenrayn - thanks for the support. You and Nourn were exactly what I think ragers should be. Didn't much fear to die and didn't lose heart. For what it's worth, I think Drahk was wrong that day and you were right. (I didn't witness the stuff he complained about, so my opinion is second hand, but it is what it is.)

Drahk - don't worry about getting me killed that time, it was one among literally scores of deaths. Good job on the evil "i don't take #####" guy. Obvious skills. Respected.

Fire giant betrayer guy whose name I can't remember - name starts with a T - I never liked you and while I had respect for your ability to do big giant sized flurry damage I didn't have much more for you. I always knew you were a traitor and I would have booted you from the village in a heartbeat. Why Bryvac didn't when I brought it to his attention still baffles me. I guess that means I must give you props for pulling it off, so for that at least, good job.

Sabiene - my favorite defender. Just truly fun to have around. And good with your work. I tried to always say please and thank you when asking for and receiving poultices and the like. Darmok was a very unhappy person but always tried to be polite at least, and respectful, for those that deserved it. You were certainly one of those. I'm glad I had a small part in getting you in. Keep it up.

Iomyndor - the other defender. I thought you were good too, but probably because you were hidden a lot more than Sabiene seemed to be I didn't get the same good vibe from you. Not a criticism, just a lack of interaction more than basics. Of course we then had our conversation at the Inn and you seemed genuinely interested. Don't think I was fooled. I knew exactly what you were doing and how crazy you thought I was and the mockery you gave me on the rager cabal channel. I have my sources too, you know....

Sayangu - rager berserker assassins can be just beasts and I thought you were very strong. Not so sure about the pirate thing, but I never got a chance to really ask you about it. Again, one of the drawbacks of the whole honorbound and rarely group thing was that I didn't have all of that "let's go sleep up" time that people normally use to delve into eachother's roles. You stuck to it though, at least in language and accent, and temperment always seemed right, so you get points from me. Good job.

Tobeldest - you rock. End of story. Glad I was there when you finally kicked it.

Tessaron - Solid work, good attitude, and glad you got that tattoo back. Hope things continue well for you, I had fun the times we were together.

Some others I responded to on their own battlefield death pages, and others I'm sure I'm forgetting, if you post I'll surely respond with memories.

Non-ragers:

Darmok wasn't much for chit chat with enemies so I didn't have much by way of long conversations with you. That wasn't because I was uninterested, but more because it just didn't fit with him. I hope you understand. And, for the most part, Darmok didn't get honor in return for honor in the sense of getting one on one fights. I'd wanted force duel at some point but that never worked out, so the usual for me was "oh, two or three or four of them over there, hope I take out one or two before I bite it."

Scion:

Anith - nothing annoyed me more than having your damn bird find me JUST as I requested something and proceeding to flyto me, attack me, shift to mongoose, I eventually wimpy, lather rinse repeat. There were very few people I was genuinely nervous about when I'd see them logged on, and you were one. Even thirsting I couldn't do more than jack squat to your mongoose, and you would hit me pretty much every round through haste and flourentine. I think the form is a bit overmuch in that regard. I think it makes sense you can dodge most of my attacks, but you shouldn't be hitting your foe (particularly a hasted, sword spec elf warrior) that much. Just my .02.

Aginal - it's all been said before, in your farewells and other places. But again, a fearsome invoker. A scion invoker with ready access to the various dam reduction wands is a real killer. And, since there was the quicksand bug for most of darmok's life you (and other invokers) could just get me into quicksand and I couldn't get out no matter what. Making me easy bait. Was very frustrating. The thing I'm most proud about though is that I think I never died to one of your famous immolations. How pathetic am I that I derive some satisfaction from not dying in a particular way to you?

Vortigern/Panir - the scion shamen. Worth fighting.

I can't think of others off the top of my head at the moment, sorry.

Nexus:

Lurdonis - hated you. Said it on your farewell board, no need to rehash here.

Zherukin - hated that bash legacy. You had complete command denial on me for 16 rounds in one fight. Literally just sat and watched 16 rounds go by where I was totally lagged. Not much fun there for me, but an excellent choice for you as a giant nexus warrior. You also always had a knack for fighting me exactly when resist would fall. One fight on eastern it literally looked like "murder zherukin""you feel less resistant" or whatever the echo is for resist falling, at the exact same time. I winced and watched as your iron swords did regular ****devs**** to me. That's gonna leave a mark. Unlike the rest of nexus you at least would sometimes fight me one on one, but that's of course due to that bashing thing I think. Still, you were good to talk to the few times we did and you seemed to have a measure of non-gang spirit, so I applaud that. Try to infect other nexuns with it.

Punblinpo - luckiest guy in thera. 'nuff said.

Maran:

Darmok was always very respectful of paladins, calling them "holy warrior" or "holy knight" or something like that. He was still very much a lightwalker in his eyes and had great esteem for such people. I hope that came through.

Ulthur - had one or two good talks regarding honor and things. Impressive character.

Tynnyn - didn't see you much but I recall one conversation which impressed me.

Warder:

Sassmi - mostly we talked to confirm who had which items. And the short war was tough. But as people have said on your farewell you were great. Cf's better because you play it.

Warlock:

Jhard - hate that shark. Nice taunting, though.

Anyway, I can't think of anyone else at the moment.

Mostly Darmok was a very difficult but satisfying character. Unbelievably hard to play him and self-imposed restrictions often had me banging my head against the wall, but in the end a mostly enjoyable experience.

Oh, to the imms generally - fist is great, but flow of shadows I think should be tweaked up a bit. It's primary and supposedly best possible user is an elf, as I was, and even so it didn't really work so much. Just my opinion.

Thanks to all who contributed to Darmok.

ANith (Guest)Sun 09-Feb-03 11:37 AM

#15068, "Damn mongeese!"
In response to Reply #5

I didnt really like your charactor at first because you seemed so mouthy. But after some fights I realized you had guts and played hard. I used preps and items to make my mongoose hit harder and more often. It made a big diference when I could add 12 to my hit and damage. It was fun, anyhow.

Sassmi (Guest)Sun 09-Feb-03 11:53 AM

#15066, "RE: Well, it was quite a ride"
In response to Reply #5

Ya know, alot of warders tried to hunt you after you got titled the imperial soldier. Sassmi basically stopped them from doing so, 'cos she believe what was told to her that you have been tricked. But you died! Now no one will believe her again! *pouts* I like Darmok though.
At least thats another rager Sassmi don't have to fight. +P

Kalmah (Guest)Tue 18-Feb-03 01:45 AM

#15067, "RE: Well, it was quite a ride"
In response to Reply #8

Well, Darmok. It is too bad you left so early after I signed on board the whole Empire thing. I made myself clear to you, but I did not get a chance to hear your full thoughts.

This anger you now have makes me wary of the Immortal, but I will have Kalmah continue building the Empire you left. As of now, I try to instill a sense of honor into those who I work with, though many of them wish to ignore what initiated the whole thing. I think their characters secretly wish for the old Empire. But worry not, I will do my best to stop that from happening. All in all, Kalmah has always desired something like this, and you helped bring it about. Have fun with any new endeavors.

DarmokSun 09-Feb-03 01:05 PM
0 posts
#15065, "My role"
In response to Reply #5

"Enough!" Slamming his hand down on the table the king brought
immediate silence to the bickering elves. "Enough of this
useless accusing, blaming and complaining. Are we duergar or
drow to be giving short sight to the problem? To be talking as
any one of us would have it this way if we could choose? No!
I have heard enough and now we must decide what to do about it."
Sitting back down again the King exhaled deeply, and for a
moment his 1,130 years showed on his face, the lines which so
rarely appear on true elves showing deep and etched, a mark of
the troubled times.

"Majesty, as we all know, for years so-called adventurers of
foreign lands in Thera have come to hone their skills by killing
our people, our merchants, even my own guardsmen who are
charged with protecting our fair Darsylon. For years we have
seen our people slaughtered and our trade dry up as we fail to
stop wave after wave of these dark brutes. But our bickering
here discussing who did what and when gets us nowhere as you
rightly say, and so I say we must turn now to a new path. All of
our efforts have been fruitless. We must, I say, think outside
of all normal patterns and determine some new path, a completely
new idea. Only this will bring safety and peace back to our
lands." Sitting down, the Captain of the Guards kept his back
straight and his eyes steely as he challenged each of the wise
councillors around the table to dispute his words. None did.

Moments go by. Longer than any human or felar, arial or dwarf
would feel comfortable with, but barely considered long by elf
standards. Finally, the only elf older than the king, the high
wizard Vorilotirantharas rose from his chair, shaking off the
hands of the pages behind him. "I'm not so old I can't lift
myself from my chair!" he was heard to mumble. Fixing his
bright eyes on each of the elves around the table he spoke
quietly but clearly: "There is a way." Pausing, not to create
greater interest but instead as though he gave one last, final
consideration to the plan he was about to propose, the mage
continued. "There is a way. We have discovered magic which
will make our warriors more than mere fighters, more than mere
defenders. Truly, more than mere mortals. With elves such as
those that the magic will create, our people would be able to
rest safely in their homes, and once again the trade of all
lands would find a home here in our Grand Marketplace." One
final pause, then, bowing his head. Looking up he finishes.
"But there is a price. A terrible price. To work, the magic
must be begun within hours of birth. The baby must be taken
from the mother and the rituals must begin. Each day the ritual
must be continued, each day and without falter. No life outside
of the magical infusions and the martial training can be had.
They will be cut off, abandoned, considered dead. They must
have no contact with anyone other than their instructors and
those of the magical arts who tend the spells."

A moment to let this horrible fate sink in to the listeners.

"There is more. The magic works, in part, by unleashing inner
rage, inner animosity which is alien to most of our kind. These
soldiers will become what other elves abhor. They will be more
akin to the duerg or drow we fight than to other elves. And,
finally, they will be very difficult to control. Each of them
will be a force beyond anything you have seen before, anything
you have heard of before. It will be near impossible to keep
them from doing as they wish, and if they one day wish to turn
upon us, we would be hard pressed to stop them." Lowering
himself into his chair, the sorcerer nodded to himself, as
though assuring himself he did the right thing in offering this
option.

"The question then," said the King, "is what can we do to ensure
these enhanced warriors maintain enough of our elvish mind,
enough of the integrity we need, to keep them on our side once
they are free to act on their own?"

"I believe I know a way, my King." From the back of the room
comes a voice seldom heard in these meetings. It is the voice
of an old priest, one in robes worn only by one elf at a time.
The robes of the former Lord of Honor, Cador. "My Lord may
be gone from these realms, but his teachings remain. Here is
my suggestion, my Lords. With each daily ritual of magic, with
each lesson on how to swing a sword, with each instruction of
tactics and strategy, instill in these soon to be powerful
fighters the virtue of Honor. Make each breath they take a
breath of Honor. Make Honor their food, their drink, their
soul. Then, and only then, will you be sure that the powers
and strengths you give them will forever remain in service to
the good of Darsylon and it's people. Then we will know that
these supreme fighters will fight for us, not against us."
Turning, the old priest exited the chamber, his work done.

Looking around the table, the King stared each person in the
eyes, looking for agreement or dissent. Slowly but surely he
received a nod from each and every person sitting at the table.
Looking over to the wizard then, he said quietly, "So let it be
done."

The babies were taken. Each had been given a foreign name, a
non-elvish name, to set them apart from those they would one day
protect. No family or social ties would be allowed to cloud the
minds of the tools they were to become. Each was told they were
orphaned, and each was told their parents had died from raiders
and pillagers coming into Darsylon. Thus was a life of honor
and service started with a lie.

One hundred years pass. The wizardry and magical rituals
had been done and the schooling, both in martial ability and in
a life of honor, has been completed. All that remains is the
final binding, the day of graduation as the young men and women
had come to call it. With the final spell, the fighters would
unlock the special gifts that had been growing in them, the
gifts which until now had only been useable when a mage was
present to turn them on, so to speak. Now, those powers would
become a permanent and always present part of each. It was the
culmination of their lives to date.

Standing among his fellows, Darmok felt excitement, energy and,
truth be told, some nervousness. Not nervous that he would fail
to act as he should or that he would not live up to the high
standards he had been drilled with, but rather nervousness that
he would no longer be surrounded by the others. Soon he would
be alone among other elves, a people he belonged to in name, but
whom he had never seen, never walked among, never spoken to.
But he would not only do so, he would thrive. This he promised
himself. And he would protect them, and keep his people safe.
No enemy would come again and ravage _his_ lands.

The High Wizard took his place, his hands holding the staff and
scroll which together with his words formed the last part of the
spell, the culmination of magicwork of a hundred years. Raising
his arms above his head, brandishing the staff, he began the
words. As his voice uttered the first sentence, the doors to
the chamber burst open and in flowed a band of ugly, vile
brutes. Warriors, deathmagi of the necromancer guild and
fighter magi of the antipaladin guild stormed into the room.
With the last spell still unspoken, Darmok and his fellows were
excellently trained men and women, but of no special power or
quickness. Their reflexes were still mortal. Turning, they
sought to fight, unarmed, the marauders. But before any of them
could engage, a bow was lifted, an arrow was shot, and a small
groan was heard. Collapsing, the final spell unspoken, the
High Wizard looked down at the arrow piercing his chest. With
a look of horrible sadness in his eyes, he closed his eyes, and
died. A terrible fight ensued and most of Darmok's comrades
were slain, but in the end they killed each and every one of the
invaders. But it was too late. With the High Wizard went the
only elf who knew the final words. The spell, now, could never
be complete.

Ten years pass. Darmok and the few other survivors have been
living in the barracks with other guards. They know nothing
of daily elfin life, and they are shunned by all normal elves.
Without the final spell, their powers remain forever gone, but
the rage inside them, the anger and the war they seek is still
a part of them. But they are powerless to fulfill the call.
It is only the Honor which was equally bred in them which keeps
them going every day, every hour, working to defend their lands
as simple regular guards, but without the simple comforts of
family, friends, or any belonging at all.
Rather than continue to live in this world of pain and lonliness
two of the surviving experiments killed themselves. Darmok,
feeling instead he had a different path, became surer and surer
that it had been the poor wisdom of the magi that led to this
horrible fate. He had not even had a choice! Taken as a babe he
was molded by their magic. He understood the need, and could
accept the idea of sacrifice of one for a greater good. But the
one who sacrifices should make the choice, not have it made for
him! And, worse still, to have the sacrifice made, and then not
be able to fulfill it because the magi could not do as they said
they would do, that was the final straw.

With a heavy heart he resolved to prevent this from occurring
in the future. Sad though he would be when he faces goodly
beings, he would fight the greater battle, that against all
magic, to ensure that the poor wisdom of mortals - even the
wisest, most long lived ones, the elves - did not again betray
those who suffer such fates. Leaving Darsylon, for the first
time, he entered the wider lands of thera. And began his search
for the village of warriors who shared his desire to rid all
thera of magic and preserve it for the Gods. He began his
search for the Battleragers. From them he might learn new
tactics even his great teachers had not known. And to them he
would bring the honor, the courage and the integrity many claim
they lack. We shall see....

MernonSun 09-Feb-03 01:52 PM
0 posts
#15064, "Hey"
In response to Reply #5

First off, very well played. I was really actually pretty scared when you logged on and I tried to stay away from you if I could. For one, not much I could do with the jaguar and two you always seemed to hand my ass back to me when I was with someone else anyways. I did fight you alone once or twice, I remember the day I con died and I fought you one on one I think, either that or I tried to and I was fighting some other villagers. Well, anyhow, well done again and see you in the fields.

Guenrayn (Guest)Sun 09-Feb-03 03:46 PM

#15063, "You were great"
In response to Reply #5

You know i liked Darmok I think IC and OOC. I have the utmost repsect for a person who roleplays so well. GOod work, and i know I said more on my death note, but I liked you a lot.

Aaron

VynmylakSun 09-Feb-03 05:28 PM
52 posts
#15061, "Disappointing *and* well done"
In response to Reply #5

Really disappointed in seeing you delete. I'll get that out of the way. Anytime I see a character such as yours with a RP-opportunity that just sings out, I'm always intrigued by how they'll handle it. Sphere honor elf, Empire, Vyn-follower. The paths you could have taken this was mind-boggling, and being able to keep true to role would have been very, very interesting.

I gotta give it to ya, I didn't know if you would stick it out at times. I can't remember how many times I heard a death echo from the harpies when you were ranking solo or honing skills. *grin* I was very impressed in the way you kept to your role as well, much of it being self-imposed. I hadn't planned on any of Vyn's followers to be do the solo-ranking, as his religion is more of a balance between the three spheres. By the time I was able to get some sort of relief to you in experience gains, you'd already pretty much heroed. You took the hard path, and I hope you enjoyed it quite a bit.

You'll certainly stand out in my mind as a good follower. I hope you realize that IC-wise, I could not abide for an evil follower -- it just goes against everything Vyn stands for, and really put both of us in a bad position. Again, I'd hoped that somehow you'd have figured a way to redeem yourself (even back to a point of neutrality) and been able to re-instate you.

All-in-all, great job. You were my first tattooee, and I thank you for all the entertainment and dedication.

-- Vyn

DarmokSun 09-Feb-03 05:57 PM
0 posts
#15062, "Thanks"
In response to Reply #12

You're right, it is disappointing. No one is more disappointed and upset than I. But that's why I want to talk to the imm in question. I don't want to hash that stuff out here, angry as I am about it.

As for our stuff, let me reiterate, it was tons o'fun. ooc I totally understood why you had to take off the tattoo, but ic he was very upset. more so than at sacrificing his cabal. darmok knew he was unchanged inside and figured you as a god could see that.

thanks again.

TaithinSun 09-Feb-03 08:35 PM
151 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#15059, "RE: Well, it was quite a ride"
In response to Reply #5

> Fire giant betrayer guy whose name I can't remember - name starts
> with a T - I never liked you and while I had respect for your
> ability to do big giant sized flurry damage I didn't have much
> more for you. I always knew you were a traitor and I would have
> booted you from the village in a heartbeat. Why Bryvac didn't when
> I brought it to his attention still baffles me. I guess that means
> I must give you props for pulling it off, so for that at least,
> good job.

Try Trekalsh. Of all the people to speak of betrayers. Oddly, this is one of the few times I actually like the character better than the player. Darmok thought to be honorable, elf, and a follower of Vynmylak, so the character had every reason to despise Trekalsh. I was evil, well and good, none of this more "neutral rager with a red flag" as sometimes is done. However, you are talking utterly out of your *ass* about some of this. Trekalsh never betrayed the village, mainly because he was primarily focused on his *OWN* advantage. Yes, the village's well-being was never his primary concern. His own well-being was (Hence, evilness). As to Trekalsh and Darmok's interactions...we hated each other, and so I dealt with that in a ragerly fashion...I beat you upside the head. If you'd taken your beating, fine, but then you whine about my weapons being iron, while yours being only magical attack, so I was exploiting a vuln...I was wearing silver swords. Lots of respect to be given there. Yes, things are less truly barbaric in the village, but there is the history of the rites. You accuse me of being a traitor, and expect that instantly you are right, and I should be booted? You even refused my challenge by strength of arms. Perhaps you might want to think that there can be more going on than only your side.

Now, I apologize if I was a bit harsh, as I don't like to insult needlessly, but to put it bluntly, you made assumptions about things you didn't know the entire story to. Let the character act as he sees things in the situation, and I've no problem, but to bring it here? You're attempting to state things as fact that are utterly incorrect.

With that in mind, I'll temper my words here, not knowing the story here myself, but I'm having a great deal of difficulty understanding the reasoning that a servant of a God committed to destroying evil, Drillmaster of Battle, betrays the cabal, his God, turns evil, and joins the Empire. If it was OOC thinking of being cool to join Empire, that I can *understand*, but if then your character was screwed by An Immortal, then it was utterly deserved. The Gods do not take kindly to betrayal. If it was IC, and reasoned...well, that is where I do not have the whole story, so I will end my tirade.

If you decide to reply, I've no problem continuing this dialogue, though I hope I myself do not sound like I am only attempting to flame you. Your character was respectable, but I think either you or it, which half I saw I am not sure...could have used a little more maturing.

- Taithin

DarmokMon 10-Feb-03 01:17 AM
0 posts
#15060, "RE: Well, it was quite a ride"
In response to Reply #14

How many times does someone have to tell you that you can't have these issue solving fights in the circle without someone higher up than you there before it sinks in? You would challenge Darmok when no officer or imm was there. He wasn't about to break the rules for you.

As for the Empire stuff, I'm not talking about that here until I speak to the Imm I was dealing with, as I wrote in my initial post here. If I don't get a response from that person soon, I'll just ask the questions publicly here.

And as I recall we fought once where you won. There was never any fear of you. Not to take away any of your ability, I doubt you were a pansy considering you had that beast or something title. Thror doesn't hand those out to wimps in my experience. But there was no purpose to fighting you. You were a liar and a traitor (ic) and doing anything you wanted would be silly.

But like I said originally, the fact that you pulled it all off shows you did a good job for you.

Braoldan (Guest)Mon 10-Feb-03 02:09 PM

#15057, "*bleh*"
In response to Reply #5

>Unlike the rest of nexus you at least would sometimes fight me one on one, but that's of course due to that bashing thing I think. Still, you were good to talk to the few times we did and you seemed to have a measure of non-gang spirit, so I applaud that. Try to infect other nexuns with it.

Whats up with that? I don't think that is a fair statement about all of Nexus. I actually enjoyed fighting you that one time we actually got to fight (one on one) and there wasn't at least 5 other Villagers around (compared to the 2 of us Nexuns). Anyways, I would have liked to see you "bring back Empire," sorry you got screwed somehow.

Braoldan Snubtail.

DarmokTue 11-Feb-03 08:52 PM
0 posts
#15058, "RE: *bleh*"
In response to Reply #16

Come on, it was just a phrase. I didn't mean it literally, just mostly. Yes, you didn't gang me that I remember. I wasn't talking about you yourself. Just most of the rest of your cabal. So, I hope you and Zherukin infect them with it.

Gre (Guest)Mon 10-Feb-03 04:04 PM

#15055, "Ugh, ya forgot me."
In response to Reply #5

Well I thought I was a little more memoriable than that, but I guess not.
You were kind of aloof and stand off-ish, which I think fell right into your persona. Good job with that. The one time we fought it was the most memoriable fight I have had with Gre to date. Although I must admit, I wished I found and killed Punblinpo first before you.

All in all I thought you were a great and dedicated character. I was blown away when you bloodoathed and joined this new Empire. I could not believe you would do that, because I'm guessing you suffered a huge blow to your character's abilities to fight on top of your own self imposed restrictions. It was rumored you lost both your specs and your legacies for turning evil. If you could confirm or deny that here and it would not interfere with IC stuff, that would be interesting to know.

In closing, I always laughed as a player when other ragers would not grasp your concept of Honor even after being told a hundred times. They would jump in and fight the nightwalker when you were fighting it and I just sat there and laughed as you went through the same berrating you gave everyone who did that.

Good luck with the next one if you decide to do that, and props for heroing by yourself. I am guessing you had the ability that when you killed something it was worth the amount of experience you would get if you were in a group of three, correct? Again answer if you can without hurting IC stuff.

DarmokMon 10-Feb-03 06:43 PM
0 posts
#15056, "Chalk it up to being tired."
In response to Reply #17

I'm sorry I forgot to include you in my post, of course you were an important part of Darmok's later life. I will never, ever, ever forget that battle we had. I almost broke my desk, my chair and my computer when I died. I had you. Totally. When you broke the skull sword I kept typing "wield sword" over and over and over, but of course my fancy new blade from Thror was named "honor" and so I couldn't jab, which would have finished you right off. So frustrating!

But all that aside you were really great to be around and fight alongside. I remember one or two times defending against various enemies at the destructor, and sometimes just standing watching you fight (I did that a lot, the whole honorable thing meant I would arrive and someone else would be fighting the enemy already so I could do nothing but watch) and pretty much always being impressed.

You make a good general and I know you'll keep them in line now that I'm gone.

Regarding the Empire thing, like I said somewhere else I'm giving the imm in question a short while to get in touch with me before I start blabbing about the story. So stay tuned.

Good luck!

HuttoMon 10-Feb-03 04:13 PM
234 posts
#15054, "Good character"
In response to Reply #5

Good job with Darmok and hope you have fun with your next character.

Hutto

XandryaMon 10-Feb-03 06:09 PM
35 posts
#15053, "RE: Well, it was quite a ride"
In response to Reply #5

The only time I ever got to interact with you at all, was when you were telling everyone in the Inn about the new Empire.

Xandrya was very leery about it at the time, but she was also curious and kept asking lots of questions. While she may have come across as being against you, she is also open-minded enough to listen. I really enjoyed that bit of rp and was looking forward to having further discussions with you, especially since a certain Arial seemed to be so interested in your cause. Too bad you didn't stick around just a bit longer to do that. I really thought Darmock was pretty cool and did a good job of arguing his point.

KastellynMon 10-Feb-03 08:43 PM
864 posts
#15052, "Well done!"
In response to Reply #5

I was there when you Heroed. I've done the solo leveling thing, and it sucks, but there is nothing quite like hitting 51 on your own, so well done for that.

You were singled out by you-know-who because of who and what your character was and what they represented. Huge, huge honor, and whatever he did to you (or you did to yourself) could have gone 50 different ways, had you stuck it out. I have to echo Vynmylak, and say that I was so very disappointed to see you delete.

That being said, I'm not sure I would have been able to stick it out myself, so I sure can't fault you for deleting! It would have been one hell of a trial by fire, baby!

Good luck with your next; I'm sure you'll have fun. You seem to be the sort of player who picks the non-conventional combos and plays them to the hilt. That's what I like to see.

Kastellyn the Devourer of Magic, Lord of Legends

Some ST Nerd (Guest)Tue 11-Feb-03 10:42 AM

#15044, "RE: Well, it was quite a ride"
In response to Reply #5

I'm astonished that someone I thought would be denied from the start did as well as you did. Congratulations.

(anyone remember the Star Trek, The Next Generation episode 'Darmok'? Does the phrase 'Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra' ring a bell?)

ORBTue 11-Feb-03 03:35 PM
993 posts
#15051, "RE: Well, it was quite a ride"
In response to Reply #22

Not all of us are full fledged geeks like yourself who would know the name to every Star Trek the next generation episode. Some of us are quasi geeks, or a closet geek like myself. So I doubt that's where he got it from.

That which does not kill us,
makes us stronger.

ValguarneraTue 11-Feb-03 03:47 PM
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#15050, "RE: Well, it was quite a ride"
In response to Reply #22

>I'm astonished that someone I thought would be denied from
>the start did as well as you did. Congratulations.
>
> anyone remember the Star Trek, The Next Generation episode
>'Darmok'? Does the phrase 'Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra' ring
>a bell?)

No. No.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

AraenTue 11-Feb-03 04:23 PM
2 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#15046, "And Kinison is the name of a Ranger in Suikoden II"
In response to Reply #22

And yet the Imms didn't say anything about me using that name. I don't think that it's that bad if you get a name from somewhere and it's still a good name. There was also a svirf warrior named Aviendha I believe. Point is, I'm thinkin' that as long as the name doesn't detract from anything, it won't need changing.

QuisletTue 11-Feb-03 04:31 PM
240 posts
#15048, "RE: And Kinison is the name of a Ranger in Suikoden II"
In response to Reply #25

Isn't there a comedian named Sam Kinnison or something like that? The worst name I've seen is Gniteerg, read it backwards. BTW, where was the name Aviendha from?

NivekFri 14-Feb-03 08:33 PM
0 posts
#15049, "RE: And Kinison is the name of a Ranger in Suikoden II"
In response to Reply #26

>Isn't there a comedian named Sam Kinnison or something like
>that?

Yes. He died a few years ago.

>The worst name I've seen is Gniteerg, read it
>backwards. BTW, where was the name Aviendha from?

Aviendha is the Aiel Wise One that is in love with Rand Al'Thor in the Wheel of Time series.

Die BillardTue 11-Feb-03 07:21 PM
0 posts
#15047, "Suikoden II kicked ass."
In response to Reply #25

I played that for over 50 hours in under three days. *shiver* I had to learn how to walk again afterwards.

Man, I figured I was probably the only person in the world to play that game.

Adam (Guest)Sun 16-Feb-03 09:12 AM

#15045, "Yup!"
In response to Reply #22

That was the episode that Picard had to learn how to communicate with this alien captain who only spoke in stories, correct? They were trapped on the surface because of ion storms or something, and this beast kept trying to kill them.

Woohoo!

Imm In Question (Guest)Tue 11-Feb-03 09:53 PM

#15039, "Comments/Concerns."
In response to Reply #5

After spending an hour writing a response to your character and
concerns it somehow has not managed to show up on these boards. When
I get the time to write another response I will. Until then, please
do not go public with details that could ruin the plot for other
players. Kudos for not having done that yet.

DarmokTue 11-Feb-03 10:51 PM
0 posts
#15040, "RE: Comments/Concerns."
In response to Reply #29

I'm angry, and I feel dicked, but I am not A #####.

I look forward to your post, though like I said I am just as ready to do it via email. Just let me know if your name plus @cf.com works.

Darmok

The Imm. (Guest)Wed 12-Feb-03 11:18 AM

#15041, "No, I don't have an email."
In response to Reply #30

...but if you have an e-mail to respond to, I'll gladly handle your
concerns over mail rather than on the public forum. Again, plots
and storylines can possibly be affected by any further posts on the
matter.

DarmokThu 13-Feb-03 02:29 AM
0 posts
#15043, "My Email"
In response to Reply #31

Please email me at darmokcf@yahoo.com

Thanks.

Involved one (Guest)Wed 26-Feb-03 07:47 PM

#15042, "Questions..."
In response to Reply #31

I'm sorry for bothering, but I have some 'system' questions.

Could you please mail me at rot_death@hotmail.com?

I won't take much of your time. *rises his hand in a vow*.

Punblinpo (Guest)Wed 12-Feb-03 04:06 PM

#15037, "RE: Well, it was quite a ride"
In response to Reply #5

>I tried to think of the most difficult combination and
>situation that might still not suck and then thought of a
>way to try it.

Hey, me too.

> Think about that. When I die, not only can I
>not use magical things like charred bracers to reclothe, but
>because I'm elf much of the usual rager starter set (like
>spiked bracers from udgaard or the hematite clothing on the
>bound one or any number of iron things) are unuseable.

My biggest gripe with playing good aligned Ragers is that you can request equipment, die & full looted, then have to wait for a crash/reboot before you can request that eq again. Even if it is non-limited stuff. Gah.

With my elfish characters, I hate not being able to get certain keys. There is some pretty decent elf-only equipment around though.

>Every now and then he
>would be forced into a dishonorable fight (if I'm stuck in
>quicksand and thirsting, there's not much I can do if you
>choose to come walking into me and another thirsting rager
>sitting there) but as a player I was scrupulous as much as I
>could be about maintaining my role in that regard.

Sorry about busting your chops about that incident. For the record, I was coming down the Lane with two others, but the vortex blew us around until I ended up in the room with you two bloodthirsting. Punblinpo thought you were placing your rage above your honor. I do consider pointing out your enemies' hypocrisy (real or imagined) is a realistic roleplay for some characters.

>Zherukin - you seemed to have a measure of
>non-gang spirit, so I applaud that. Try to infect other
>nexuns with it.

I'd worry more about infecting Ragers.

>
>Punblinpo - luckiest guy in thera. 'nuff said.
>

I get that a lot. Not sure why you would say it though.

Overall, I'd say you did wonderfully with Darmok, and were definitely making your way into the history books of Thera. Of course it is all for naught if it no fun for you. Better luck with the next one.

DarmokThu 13-Feb-03 08:53 PM
0 posts
#15038, "RE: Well, it was quite a ride"
In response to Reply #32

Thank you. And I was referring to the legacy combat in the underdark. You were lucky because I wandered trying to find you our Gre at the end and found him first.

Quid (Guest)Sat 08-Feb-03 06:07 PM

#15069, "just have to say..."
In response to Reply #0

I was really, really upset IC and OOC that time when you killed me as Quid in old Thalos. I had no idea at all where I was because I was with a group learning and they just ran off to go get something. then you yell some stuff, and before I know it you run up to me and kill me outta nowhere. then you say some crap like "I warned you". I had no idea how to leave if I wanted to (first time being in the area), and I was wounded and starving. bah thats enough of this whine. other than that I suppose you did good, later

KarelFri 07-Feb-03 10:59 PM
569 posts
#15070, "RE: (DEL) Darmok the Weaponsmaster, Bloodoath, Imperia..."
In response to Reply #0

I didn't really fight you overly much with Aginal, the few times I did, and you had the head, you could be pretty wicked. Shame you up and deleted, really wanted to see what was going to come of the resurgance of the empire. Always did like empire more than scion, no offense Valg

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." - Jimi Hendrix

Vortigern (Guest)Fri 07-Feb-03 09:29 PM

#15071, "RE: (DEL) Darmok the Weaponsmaster, Bloodoath, Imperia..."
In response to Reply #0

As a rager, you never impressed me but then I died and you became imperial. It is something I wanted to see since I started and (Maybe) thanks to you, I can play them!

Lachis (Guest)Fri 07-Feb-03 09:02 PM

#15072, "I just have one question."
In response to Reply #0

Well, that's not true. I have a million questions...

But only one isn't answerable in an IC way, so that's the only one I will ask here.

Did you, as a player, understand Lachis' arguments to Darmok? Did you, as a player, think that Lachis' arguments...while maybe a bit different than most...were at least valid?

Or, did you, as a player, think Lachis' arguments were 100% wrong...like Darmok did?

DarmokSun 09-Feb-03 11:36 AM
0 posts
#15073, "RE: I just have one question."
In response to Reply #1

Yeah, I understood. But as I suspected from the start it wasn't going out and killing random mobs. We fought eachother (other pc's) and there were mobs actually hunting _us_. And not good mobs either. Tied to that that the mob was a warrior teacher who was doing this to provide greater warrior training and it made perfect sense, even if he was drow. What really upset me though was your insulting manner about it, and your hypocrisy. You called him a tool of the drow, and said that he proved himself dark for working with dark people, but you yourself are in a cabal with dark people, led by a dark person (or at least was at the time) and kill lightwalkers all the time when they break the law. That might be ok for you, but that's because that's your role to hate crimnals even if they are lightwalkers. It's all about perspective.

Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #15034 Previous topic | Next topic