Subject: "Couple changes to backstab." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Announcements Topic #1441
Show all folders

ValguarneraSun 13-Apr-08 01:38 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1441, "Couple changes to backstab."
Edited on Sun 13-Apr-08 09:18 PM

Backstab is a very old skill, and despite its iconic status, it was always a little bland for both the thief and the victim. A few updates:

1) The 'suspicious' threshold has been loosened for PCs with unusually large numbers of hit points. Someone who has, say, 1400/2000 hp is less worried than someone with 700/1000. Edit: Fixed previous sentence.

2) More factors can come into play as far as success and failure. It's not quite the guarantee than it used to be, especially if your DEX is low. It's still a very high-percentage skill under most normal circumstances.

3) There is a small chance, which builds a little bit with level, of various 'special' successes which do more than the usual.

4) There is a small(er) chance that something goes quite wrong for the thief.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Question, Abernyte, 08-Aug-08 01:28 PM, #12
Reply Having checked the code:, Valguarnera, 12-Aug-08 02:19 PM, #14
Reply Made some similar changes to Charge., Valguarnera, 04-May-08 04:01 PM, #11
Reply RE: Couple changes to backstab., Narissa, 20-Apr-08 11:45 AM, #10
Reply While we're at it..., Marcus_, 17-Apr-08 06:36 PM, #9
Reply I would have to agree, Abernyte, 13-Aug-08 06:03 AM, #13
Reply RE: Couple changes to backstab., Tac, 13-Apr-08 08:27 PM, #4
Reply Whoops. I'll fix that post ., Valguarnera, 13-Apr-08 09:17 PM, #5
     Reply Valg makes a typo. Rumors begin., Mekantos, 13-Apr-08 09:48 PM, #6
     Reply RE: Whoops. I'll fix that post ., Pargtorix, 15-Apr-08 12:32 AM, #7
          Reply Not opposed to it., Valguarnera, 15-Apr-08 12:46 AM, #8
Reply Do I read this right?, Quixotic, 13-Apr-08 08:27 PM, #2
Reply Awesome., GinGa, 13-Apr-08 05:55 PM, #1
     Reply Don't forget, Mekantos, 13-Apr-08 08:27 PM, #3

AbernyteFri 08-Aug-08 07:50 AM
973 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1548, "Question"
In response to Reply #0

I rolled a lowbie thief and saw the special things happen reasonably often but having ranked a bit I have not seen a single 'special' success in over 200 backstabs. I thought it was supposed to increase in chance as you ranked?

-----Abernyte

ValguarneraTue 12-Aug-08 02:19 PM
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1553, "Having checked the code:"
In response to Reply #12

Increasing level functions as designed: Small steady increase in the chance for positive 'special' events, no impact on negative 'special' events.

200 attempts, as an aside, is a statistical blip for low-probability events of this sort.

ValguarneraSun 04-May-08 04:01 PM
6904 posts
#1458, "Made some similar changes to Charge."
In response to Reply #0

It now has a (small) chance to miss regardless of skill, and a small chance to apply a 'big hit' with special results. Many more variables can come into play here.

I think it's an overall gain for the skill in most situations. I also threw in more incentives for Mamlauks, and did a similar thresholding function that we did for Backstab.

NarissaThu 17-Apr-08 07:44 PM
Member since 04th May 2003
279 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1453, "RE: Couple changes to backstab."
In response to Reply #0

Any maledictions accompanying a successful backstab?

Eg. fear, or crippling effects, or bleeding at high levels?

Marcus_Wed 16-Apr-08 11:54 AM
681 posts
#1452, "While we're at it..."
In response to Reply #0

I like this change.. (Coincidentally, I was ranting a bit on #dangeroom about backstab needing to be beefed up just a couple of hours before this came in.. Like being godheard :p )

Anyway, any chance of getting the damage multiplier for backstabbing sleeping opponents back? I can't help but feel that the skill needs further boost.. It's just not feared anymore :p

AbernyteMon 11-Aug-08 05:37 PM
973 posts
#1552, "I would have to agree"
In response to Reply #9

With dual back stab a thing of the past the multiplier for back stab on a sleeping opponent should be resurrected.

Noone worries about it anymore. Most every back stab, unless I have them bound and gagged, result in c 'word or flee;get potion girdle;quaff teleport/recall. If it had a bit more punch it might be worth using. As it is you are often better off with knife and then trip.

-----Abernyte

TacSun 13-Apr-08 08:19 PM
Member since 15th Nov 2005
2050 posts
#1446, "RE: Couple changes to backstab."
In response to Reply #0

>1) The 'suspicious' threshold has been loosened for PCs with
>unusually large numbers of hit points. Someone who has, say,
>1400/2000 hp is more worried than someone with 700/1000.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here correctly. The way I read it, you are saying it would be harder to backstab someone with 1400/2000 hp than 700/1000, but judging from the previous sentence, I would have expected the reverse. Clarification please?

ValguarneraSun 13-Apr-08 09:17 PM
6904 posts
#1448, "Whoops. I'll fix that post ."
In response to Reply #4

Code is correct, my post is wrong.

The intent was what you'd expect-- paleo-Backstab was not terribly useful vs. someone with a pile of hit points, since it typically would only hit them once. Neo-Backstabis more lenient in possibly allowing you a second whack at a particularly tough foe.

MekantosSun 13-Apr-08 09:33 PM
Member since 06th Dec 2003
796 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1449, "Valg makes a typo. Rumors begin."
In response to Reply #5

In two year's time we'll have another Imm-spiracy rumor going around about how a special flag that only Imms can place and see will allow endless backstabs.

Way to go, Valg.

PargtorixMon 14-Apr-08 05:03 PM
Member since 12th Mar 2008
29 posts
#1450, "RE: Whoops. I'll fix that post ."
In response to Reply #5

Looks like a great change. Any chance of seeing similar openers like Charge, Ambush, or the damage-only version of Cleave get re-worked similarly? From my recollection Underhand already works something like this.

ValguarneraTue 15-Apr-08 12:46 AM
6904 posts
#1451, "Not opposed to it."
In response to Reply #7

Why am I awake? Because it's tax-day, yo, and I do mine all gansta style.

Any chance of seeing similar openers like Charge, Ambush, or the damage-only version of Cleave get re-worked similarly?

I'm more apt to focus on skills obtained at a lower level in general, but I'm open to redesign suggestions via email. I don't necessarily think these skills need a lowered 'suspicious' threshold, however, since their respective classes rely less on the surprise first strike and have more melee staying power.

I'm generally happy with how most of the mentioned skills shake out balance-wise, but there's usually a way to make a skill more interesting without tweaking its overall balance much.

I wish I had a log of it, but Pico and I had an extended conversation when I was a heroimm about how the forums tend to be dominated by calls for predictability, but in practice people tend to migrate towards mechanics with some form of gamble involved. You may safely assume that I'm less fond of any skill that reliably produces only one result. Ambush is very interesting in that regard. Charge, less so.

QuixoticSun 13-Apr-08 06:55 PM
Member since 09th Feb 2006
830 posts
#1443, "Do I read this right?"
In response to Reply #0

The Scion AP who could eat three backstabs for breakfast is more worried about a backstab than the normal joe warrior?

GinGaSun 13-Apr-08 04:21 PM
996 posts
#1442, "Awesome."
In response to Reply #0

Now give Backstab to shamans, and give rot to Bedouins, and we've solved all the blandness problems in the game! Woo hoo!

MekantosSun 13-Apr-08 07:06 PM
Member since 06th Dec 2003
796 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1444, "Don't forget"
In response to Reply #1

Gate for AP's.

Top General Discussions Announcements Topic #1441 Previous topic | Next topic