Subject: "RE: A long post in responce to player's view posts below." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #8999
Show all folders

IsildurMon 13-Jun-05 11:25 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
5969 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9009, "RE: A long post in responce to player's view posts below."

I doubt any of the staff are going to take the time to do a point by point response to this, so I'll take a stab. Honestly I hope they don't, since their time is better spent doing more productive things.

Summary of Point #1: "I don't really play anymore, but I'm such a magnanimous guy that I take time out of my busy schedule to come here and give my helpful advice. Aren't I a great guy?"

Bull. Right or wrong, your rants have been almost categorically rejected by staff and players. It's clear that essays like the one I'm responding to do little to alter staff opinion. They understand your position, they just disagree. So if you're just doing this out of the kindness of your heart, please, don't bother.

Summary of Point #2: "I've been saying the game was going down the toilet for 7 years now. Clearly I'm a visionary thinker and am finally being vindicated."

Sorry, but no. If you continually predict the doom of a finite entity and are eventually right, that doesn't make you a visionary; it makes you Chicken Little. If anybody can make claims of having predicted anything it's Jhyrbian, since his "the sky is falling" post was much more recent.

Summary of Point #3: "Valguarnera wants there to be no 'top of the killing heap', but there has to be one for the game to remain fun. I know this because of my vast experience in the game industry. Aren't I smart?"

He didn't say that. He said he wants people at the bottom of the heap to still be able to have fun. That means they get a fair shake and have a reasonable expectation of eventually getting better. It doesn't mean what you seem to think it does, i.e. that everybody is the same and there's no competition.

Summary of Point #4: "Valguarnera expects players to play nice with everybody, not use regular game features to their advantage, not complain about anything, accept all punishment, not make repeated mistakes, and possess magical knowledge of the code."

No on every account.

a. Players are not required to "play nice". That's why it's still possible to full loot someone and sac all their stuff. That's why it's still possible to gang. That's why it's still possible to ask someone to group and then betray them. Players are expected not to cheat.

b. Players are not expected to ignore game features. If you're a necro and sleep someone, and know a room in that area you can summon them to that they can't exit from, by all means go ahead. Players are expected not to abuse bugs. If something seems way out of whack balance wise, don't think to yourself, "I better use this as much as possible before it gets changed." Think, "Maybe this is a bug I should alert the staff to?"

c. Players are not expected to refrain from complaining about anything. I complain about stuff all the time, the most recent being that city fires last too long. Players are expected to make their complaints in a calm and mature manner.

d. Players are not expected to accept all punishment. If you get slain for doing something wrong in game, then by all means feel free to delete. If you prefer not to delete, and feel the acting immortal was out of line, email the implementors. If it's an in-game cabal-related punishment, feel free to take it up with your cabal immortals. Players are expected not to throw childish fits when they're punished for something.

e. Players are not necessarily expected not to make repeated mistakes. I'm not even sure where you're coming from on this one. I've killed the same person twice, and both times it was because they did the same thing wrong. Were they smited for it? Of course not. Why would they be? If a player is punished by an immortal for something, or given a warning, then he is expected to heed that punishment or warning.

f. Players are not expected to have magical knowledge of the code. In fact it's the exact opposite. The stated position of the staff is that they'd prefer players number crunch less than they currently do. Players are expected to do some small amount of experimentation to determine nuanced game-play properties that aren't laid out in the helpfiles.

Summary of Point #5: "My necromancer had a great role that was misunderstood and I suffered for it. I did everything right and got screwed."

Uh. From what you've said in this post, your role seems to have been, "I want to kill lots of people, not die, and assemble the perfect set." That's not a role. That's an acceptable goal from the player's point of view, but it doesn't sound like a particularly well developed philosophy or background for a character. Why is your char so covetous? Why is she so bent on perfection? Why is she willing, or even eager, to kill so many people to achieve her ends? Etc. And how did you really get screwed? No positive immteraction? Wah wah. Did you ever think maybe this was due to the limited scope of your role, or role-play? You may have stuck to your role, such as it was, perfectly, but if it isn't interesting to me, as an immortal, what's my motivation for interacting with you?

Summary of Point #6: "I was discriminated against because of my awesome gear while trying to get into Scion."

Puh-lease. I've been inducted into Scion before, by Eshval, when I had nice gear. It wasn't a problem. If something was hindering you, it wasn't the gear per se. They may have seen you as a lowbie level-sitter, which probably would work against you.

Summary of Point #7: "I shouldn't be punished for not wanting to defend against bad odds."

Sorry, those are the breaks. If you don't want to occasionally have to defend against stupid odds then don't join a cabal.

Summary of Point #8: "I shouldn't be punished for not wanting to defend against even odds when I don't have flight, reduce, aura, shield and stone skin."

Necro against solo uncaballed warrior? Dude. C'mon. The imm comment didn't fault you for not killing him, it faulted you for doing absolutely nothing. This while the warrior had enough time to sleep for hp twice. Seems like you could have at least slapped power word decay on him. Again, if you don't want to be forced into dangerous and inconvenient situations, don't join a cabal.

Based on the contents of this post and what I remember from when Kimberly was alive, she had minimal rp, permagrouped, then failed to fulfill her duties to the cabal. Because of this she got no positive immteraction and may eventually have been kicked out of Scion -- I don't remember. That's hardly seems like sufficient fodder for your martyr complex.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicA long post in responce to player's view posts below. [View all] , Rutsah, Mon 13-Jun-05 07:23 AM
Reply RE: A long post in responce to player's view posts belo..., Isengrim, 21-Jun-05 12:13 AM, #4
Reply Some of your post makes sense, incognito, 16-Jun-05 06:23 PM, #3
Reply RE: A long post in responce to player's view posts belo..., Isildur, 13-Jun-05 11:25 AM #2
Reply RE: A long post in responce to player's view posts belo..., Valguarnera, 13-Jun-05 09:31 AM, #1
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #8999 Previous topic | Next topic