Subject: "RE: Homard and Malakhi" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #36967
Show all folders

MalakhiFri 21-Jan-11 02:31 PM
Member since 12th Dec 2009
367 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#36980, "RE: Homard and Malakhi"

Well, I'm not going to deny that BattleRagers are powerful at all levels. I mean, I only played one (Malakhi), but I definitely felt as though I was worth 1.5x a given enemy with some exceptions (most memorably bards and ABS APs with lightning control). With that kind of raw power, I died a lot more than I usually do testing my limits doing amazing things (when you're in a Porsche, you don't drive 65 unless you're 65), but then I also racked up PKs at a rate that's pretty standard for Imperials (in all honesty, I think Imperial Powers are the ones we should all be subjecting to heavy scrutiny because they are truly OP for the classes that get them - it's the cabal for the Doom contingent )

That said, I think the game balance behind RBW powers is much more complicated than simply saying "DB is balanced against ABS." I gave you two examples that are a big deal at midranks: ranking issues and movement issues. I think they're interrelated with respect to the midranked Ragers major weaknesses.

Basically, IMO when you're a RBW, you have to bank on killing your opponent quickly when you are far from the Village. The more drawn out the fight is, the more likely you'll lose because the other guy has access to alot more utility resources than you do. With respect to ranking, that means where a different character would quaff out when being hit by an ambushing enemy while at 1/2 health, a Rager often has to gut it out in Last Stand Mode. And there are a lot of opportunities for Last Stand Modes during the midranks because of Rager limitations. And if the Rager's unwilling to expose himself to Last Stand Mode, it's pretty easy to avoid that Rager during the midranks. I used the Crusader knights as an example, but there are plenty of examples in fantasy lore where a smaller, more maneuverable force stretches out a stronger force over distance and then collapses on them from all sides. This is what you do to midranked Ragers - you string them out and them hit them when it's too late to head back for the city.

Now, a lot of players don't take advantage of these weaknesses and place Ragers in Last Stand Mode. A lot of players want to face midranked Ragers 1v1 at the giant and expect to win 50% of the time. IMO that's a ridiculous expectation. There is no better matchup for the midranked Rager than that with the exception of the same fight at the Destructor.

So to wrap it up, I don't necessarily disagree with you, I just think it's a complicated balancing act that's not susceptible to quick fixes.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicDeathblow and ABS [View all] , Abernyte, Thu 20-Jan-11 06:13 PM
Reply Deathblow is ugly for anyone with bad defenses and bad ..., Quixotic, 21-Jan-11 01:02 PM, #6
Reply Re: Warriors and Deathblow, Homard, 21-Jan-11 01:20 PM, #7
Reply Agree that DB is balanced at hero, OP at midranks. nt, Artificial, 21-Jan-11 05:42 AM, #4
Reply RE: Deathblow and ABS, Malakhi, 20-Jan-11 07:00 PM, #2
Reply Homard and Malakhi, Abernyte, 21-Jan-11 05:12 AM, #3
     Reply Don't forget bards., lasentia, 21-Jan-11 11:18 AM, #5
     Reply RE: Homard and Malakhi, Malakhi, 21-Jan-11 02:31 PM #8
          Reply Problem is, elmeri_, 21-Jan-11 07:16 PM, #9
Reply DB's not just to counter Damage Reduction, Homard, 20-Jan-11 06:54 PM, #1
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #36967 Previous topic | Next topic